posterboy withdrawal from Citalopram

posterboy

Hi, i started taking citlopram in April 2015. I began on 10mg and moved onto 20mg as i wasn't feeling like it was helping. It eventually did help and i was feeling alot better. I chose to come off citlopram around 3+ weeks ago and the physical/mental withdrawls the first week were terrible. Once they subsided i felt fine, like my old self for around a week, although from a few days ago I've started to feel terribly depressed (not suicidal) a bit like my old self. I was hoping this was still the citlopram in my system but I'm confused as i thought i was in the clear after the physical/mental withdrawls subsided but it seems like they've come back. Some advice or information would be great. Thank you for reading.

Edited by scallywag
tags

I was on cit for just over a year, started on 10mg and moved too 20mg after roughly 2 months due to not feeling the effects. After i started to feel better and came off the 20mg and moved back down to 10mg i done this for a month and after the month started taking 10 every other day until i ran out. I came off them completely on the 20th of June. 

• Administrator

Welcome, posterboy.

I've moved your first post to the Introductions forum, to start your Introductions topic. You can post about your progress here.

Do you feel any different now than before you took the drug? What is your symptom pattern throughout the day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome posterboy.

Dd you quit the drug cold turkey?

You might like to read this thread on tapering

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello posterboy, 

It sounds like you are experiencing what we call windows and waves:  Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I included the link about reinstating because you likely cold turkeyed or came off too fast and are experiencing withdrawal.  Since this is a recent departure from citalopram, we strongly urge folks to reinstate at least a portion of the drug to alleviate withdrawal symptoms and then begin a proper slow 10% taper once stable.  

If you choose not to reinstate, it is important to know that the longer you go without doing so, the less likely it is to work should you later decide that withdrawal is too difficult.  It is normal to experience windows and waves of symptoms, but important to know that later waves can be worse than earlier ones, often with very difficult emotional symptoms such as anxiety and depression the likes of which you have never known.  This is why we so strongly encourage a 10% taper, to allow the nervous system to heal AS you taper off, rather than leaving it in chaos coming off too fast, with ALL the healing yet to be done once off.

Here's our tapering info about citalopram in the event you DO reinstate:  Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Bookmark this page so you can find it more easily when you come back with questions and updates.  By clicking "Follow this Thread" above, you will be notified of responses to your thread.

It would be helpful to us if you could fill out your signature block:  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  Please include details about when you went on Cit, dosages, and how you came off (cold turkey or taper, and if taper, then size of cuts and how long at each dosage).

We hope to see you back here with questions once you've had a read of the above materials!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thank you all for the your responses. I came off them gradually. My Gp advised me to Go from taking 20 a day too 10 a day and then 10 every other day until i had ran out. The first week off them was horrendous. I had terrible anxiety, felt nauseous, dizzy, irregular heart beats etc. That came and gone in the first week and i started feeling better until a few days ago.Now, I would wake up feeling like i did before i started the treatment, unmotivated, lack of energy, moody and no interest in daily activities etc etc. I'm not sure what to do because I'm hoping this passes. It's incredibly hard to get seen by my doctor and even at that i dont think the advice given is helpful and i still end up leaving unsure as to what my head is doing! When i seen the link for the window and waves of stabilization I had a sudden feeling of hope!

There are parts throughout the day i feel myself coming around and then BOOM, back into the deep dark pool of depression.

Now that i am off citlopram and have been for 3 weeks is it not to late for me reinstate and then do the 10% taper or should i just persevere and give it another week, that would be 4 weeks in total. Would it not be harmful on my brain to reinstate and gradually taper off them again? And would this cause any type of permanent damage? 

I really appreciate all of this information, I wouldn't have known this if i hadn't of posted so that is a BIG help. 

And sorry for all the questions people :mellow:

thank you

I was on cit for just over a year, started on 10mg and moved too 20mg after roughly 2 months due to not feeling the effects. After i started to feel better and came off the 20mg and moved back down to 10mg i done this for a month and after the month started taking 10 every other day until i ran out. I came off them completely on the 20th of June. 

I came off them gradually. My Gp advised me to Go from taking 20 a day too 10 a day and then 10 every other day until i had ran out.

Not too sure how long it took for you to run out but lets just say it was a month. so you did a 2 month taper. In this game 2 months is very very fast. Furthermore one of the 'do nots , is do not skip or alternate doses in tapering. Mind you if our doctors dont know this how can we be expected to. So dont feel too bad.

Your gp is very misinformed on how to taper.

Sadly the words 'slowly' and 'gradually' have been given a whole new definition thanks to ssris.

If you cant cope with the wdl it is ok to ri ...checkout the link from SG it spells it out.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 1 month later...

Just over a month since i last posted. Quick update: I've continued to stay off citalopram, thought it was the right thing to do seeing as i had gone through the worst of the physical withdrawals. I am now 2 months without meds and still battling on. I've had a few windows where I've felt fine but sadly 80% of the time it's been just as bad as before. I know we've talked about the waves and windows of stabilisation and my symptoms are similar to this but i still feel like nothings going to change in the long run. I'll have a week were I'm feeling low and and couple of days after where I'm not so bad but the length of these windows and waves don't seem to be changing. I'm going to Australia in October to work and i want some kind reassurance or relief before i go (an extended period of time feeling good) Not quite sure what to do. Any advice?

Thanks 

Luke

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi posterboy,

If you are unable to cope with the symptoms you are getting (from you post it seems like you aren't coping most of the time) and because you are going/coming to Australia in October, it may be a good idea to reinstate A SMALL DOSE of citalopram which may reduce the worst of the symptoms.  The aim of reinstating is not to get rid of the symptoms completely (if it did that would be great) but to reduce the symptoms to a bearable level.

The longer you leave reinstatement the less chance there is of it being successful.  If you reinstate now, you would hopefully be feeling improvement and more stable for your trip to Australia.  Travelling itself is stressful and add to it that you will be working if it were me I would be reinstating.  Because of the added stress your symptoms may even worsen.  We can offer suggestions but in the end It is a decision only you can make.

I discovered SA after I had dropped my dose by 1/2 from 100 mg to 50 mg Pristiq for 3 weeks and had a very foggy head and ended up not being able to type.  I am a professional typist.  About 4 hours after updosing I was able to type again.  This was not placebo.  I had a baseline to compare to.

These helped me to understand.  The third one relates to benzos but ADs most probably cause similar things:

1. Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)
  2. Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery
  3. What is Happening in Your Brain

Please read/re-read:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

If you do decide to reinstate, I suggest you post your decision to do so here so that a dose can be suggested.  Please DO NOT reinstate at the dose you were taking previously.  Your brain will have made some adaptations since you have been off the drug.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the slow reply, been working a lot recently. If i were to reinstate what dosage would you recommend? I have a pack of 20mg citalopram with a break line in them. If i was to reinstate at a low dosage how would i go about breaking the pill up into a low dose? Or would i just go to the docs and ask for another prescription? Hypothetically speaking, if i decided against reinstating and things became very hard in Australia could i start citalopram again and then taper correctly over the course of the year?

• Moderator Emeritus

What are your current symptoms?  Has anything improved or worsened?

Here's the information about citalopram and how to get low doses:  Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

If you decide not to reinstate before your leave, I suggest you make sure you pack the Celexa so that you have them with you if you need them.  I'm not a traveller so have no idea what the requirements are for travelling with medication.

I'm going to ask the other mods what dosage they think you could try.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey PosterBoy - congratulations for surviving the acute phase of withdrawal!

While you followed doctor's orders, your doctor's orders were much too fast and irregular.  I'm concerned that you still have some withdrawal yet to go through.  Not everyone does, but the "relapse rate" on "antidepressants" is something like 85% within a year of discontinuation (Joanna Moncrieff).  Surely, most of that is the effect of withdrawal from the drug. 

Please see this:

Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms

You took your last tablet in June, so the soonest you could have delayed symptoms is about now.  

It's exciting that you are coming to Australia.  You will miss the green of Ireland, though!  Green is a very healing, soothing colour for the eyes - but then - sunshine is pretty wonderful, too!

When I emigrated to Australia from the US, I thought it would be easy to get established.  I had made contacts in the City where I was going to live (they were an hour away by train, however, in real life!)  All my life, I had the experience of being the "new kid" in town, so have developed strategies to go out and make friends and build community.  Because Australians speak English, I thought there would be no barriers to building a new life.  It has taken me 10 years to build community - it took me 1 year to understand what they were saying, well enough to hold a conversation!  This was a very lonely and challenging time, and it was the period which sent me deepest into the drugged state.

How does this apply to you?  You're young and energetic - it should be easier for you.  (I was in my 40's when I emigrated).  You will be tempted by the pub culture - the easiest way for a young bloke to make mates, which is not good for mood stability in withdrawal.  

Please consider yourself "in withdrawal" for at least 2 years.  If you can get through that period without "relapse" (going back on the drugs), then you are probably going never going back to them.  

However, your moving to Australia is an exciting and stressful time.  And you are right on the cusp of the next phase of withdrawal (which, hopefully you will escape - but if you do not - please remember "it's withdrawal, not relapse!")

See this concise post:

Stages of Withdrawal Symptoms

also you might be helped by this short video:

Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (by Toxic Antidepressants)

So - what to do?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You say:

I've had a few windows where I've felt fine but sadly 80% of the time it's been just as bad as before. I know we've talked about the waves and windows of stabilisation and my symptoms are similar to this but i still feel like nothings going to change in the long run.

If it were me, I'd go to a doc and get liquid citalopram.  I would start taking 2 mg per day.  Tell the doc that you are just a little under the weather, maybe concerned about the move to the furthest continent, and you'd like to try the smallest amount possible to see if it will help.  (it's not necessarily a good idea to bring up withdrawal)

If you wait until you go to Australia, the citalopram may have kindled your system, and may be completely ineffective.  This is how people get polydrugged, as the first one doesn't work anymore, and they keep adding drugs until something works.

Limbic Kindling - Hardwiring the Brain for Hypersensitivity

So you could reinstate now, just 2 mg - this will make your taper later, much easier, much gentler.  And liquid is easy easy to do tiny decrements for tapering!

With a reinstatement you may know on the same day if we are on the right track!  It takes about 4 days to reach full blood serum levels, and then 7 days before you can consider updosing again, maybe up to 3 mg.

Be careful with updosing, though, because changes are as destabilising as precise doses.  Each time you change, there is a "bounce" which you might feel for as much as 6 weeks to 6 months later!

We are hoping here to just get you a little of the "hair of the dog that bit you" to calm down the symptoms, and then stabilise on that tiny dose.  In a perfect world, you will take your 2mg of liquid Citalopram (that's just 1 ml), feel better and stabilise.  Then hurrah!  We will all cheer!  You will be ready for your adventure on the other side of the world!

Later, when it comes time to taper, you can dilute the citalopram (only 4 days worth at a time, please, so the solution doesn't go "off") to make up your 10% decrements.

What do you think?  Does this sound feasible to you?  I reckon it's really wise of you to consider this before making the big change in your life, and trying to get stable before you go.

I hope you see the sun today - but if you don't - you surely will in October!  (I am in Queensland, we are under cloud today, but have sunshine 4/5 days!)

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I agree with you saying i still have withdrawals even though part of me feels like it's the old me creeping back into the picture. I have to remember it's withdrawals not a relapse. 

I'm also looking forward to going away although it's hard to get excited when you're down in the dumps. I've had my heart set on travelling for a very long time and made the decision to stop taking meds before i go. I'm a social person when I'm in a social mood! A good chunk of my day is spent putting on a brave face and just rolling with it but it's not the real me and this becomes tiring making me just want to go and be by myself. I would consider the holding off for 2 years too see whether it's withdrawals or not but i would just hate for this to ruin my travels and spoil any memories.

I had quite a heavy night on the lash on sunday and I'm putting feeling really down the past few days to that. My lesson is learnt and i will be behaving from here on out :wacko:  :wacko:

I think you're wise in saying i should strongly consider reinstating at a low dose but personally i think I'm too far gone to reinstate and taper (judging by previous older comments). I really should have done this when i first posted but i guess this is trial and error and it's a mistake i can hopefully learn from. What are the signs that I'm too far gone and that it's not going to work?

I'm going to go to the docs tomorrow and ask for liquid cit and try and see if it helps.

I will continue to update and I hope you continue the fantastic support. It is deeply appreciated!

Much love

What are your current symptoms?  Has anything improved or worsened?

Here's the information about citalopram and how to get low doses:  Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

If you decide not to reinstate before your leave, I suggest you make sure you pack the Celexa so that you have them with you if you need them.  I'm not a traveller so have no idea what the requirements are for travelling with medication.

I'm going to ask the other mods what dosage they think you could try.

They're still similar to what the have been to be honest. Nothings really improved as such but it's been terrible since having a heavy weekend on the drink (sunday).

If i do bring the 20mg celexa with me when i go and i start having extended low periods would the celexa not make things worse as my bodys basically come off them?

I think i'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow and if it's another bad day ill go to the docs to enquire about liquid citalopram (not sure we can get it in the UK) or a lower dose in pill form to break up using the information you've given.

Sorry if I'm rambling or confusing you, i find it hard to make sense of the whole thing and having a doctor that tells me to come off them cold turkey and is no help whatsoever doesn't help!

Thanks for your help.

• Moderator Emeritus

posterboy -- have you looked at the

- thread ChessieCat posted (#8 above) about "brain remodeling"?

- video  JanCarol posted (#11 above) about "Healing from Antidepressants"?

You may find that information answers your questions and addresses your concerns and confusion.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

posterboy -- have you looked at the

- thread ChessieCat posted (#8 above) about "brain remodeling"?

- video  JanCarol posted (#11 above) about "Healing from Antidepressants"?

You may find that information answers your questions and addresses your concerns and confusion.

I was on my phone and missed those links! just had a read/watch on my laptop. Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

"I had quite a heavy night on the lash on sunday and I'm putting feeling really down the past few days to that. My lesson is learnt and i will be behaving from here on out :wacko:  :wacko: "

Glad to hear that you have learned your lesson.  Just make sure you remember it.

"I think you're wise in saying i should strongly consider reinstating at a low dose but personally i think I'm too far gone to reinstate and taper (judging by previous older comments)."

It's been about 9 weeks since you stop Citalopram.  From the Reinstating Information:

• Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of withdrawal symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.
  • The length of this window of opportunity varies according to the individual. Sometimes people can reinstate successfully months after quitting. Others cannot.

"What are the signs that I'm too far gone and that it's not going to work?"

Unfortunately there are none.  It is a case of trying a small dose and again from the Reinstatement Information:

• It takes at least 4 days for your body to fully register the addition of a neuroactive drug. Unless you have an immediate bad reaction, observe your symptom pattern for about a week to see if the reinstatement is helping. If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.
  • After reinstatement, the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.

"I'm going to go to the docs tomorrow and ask for liquid cit and try and see if it helps."

Just a thought:  You might want to consider the storage requirements for liquid.  If you do decide on liquid, you may want to pack tablets as well although it is better to stick to the same method so that you ensure you get an accurate dose.

Just back from the docs and sadly it was a different GP who wasn't really any help at all. She just advised me to go back on them as she thinks its an underlying mood issue and not late withdrawels. I told her that i was ill advised on how to taper off the meds and she said that was the correct way and that i should just go back on them. I asked for liquid cit so i could reinstate at the very low dose reccomend to help withdrawels but apparently we don't do that in the uk so she prescribed me 10mg of cit but they don't have a breakline and are too small to break!

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hardplace. Don't know what to do, do i stick it out in the hope that the windows outnumber the waves or do i go back on them for another year or failing that find another drug. Heads just a bit all over the place atm. I've a lovely big 10 hour shift to get thru hear so plenty of time to think.

• Moderator Emeritus

posterboy -- Many people taper their meds by Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules

Have a look at that. If you have any questions, post them here.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Okay I'm going to make the solution tonight and start tomorrow. I'll update as i go.

What are the options if it gets worse or has no effect?

Appreciate all the help guys.

• Moderator Emeritus

You need to give the reinstatement 7-10 days. It takes 4 days or so for the medication to reach a steady state in your body (serum concentration) and then a few more days for your CNS (central nervous system) to "get the message" and start making adjustments.

It's hard to tell what we'll suggest if there's little to no improvement. It depends on your symptoms.

Take your dose at the same time every day.  Keep track of the times of your doses and of your symptoms on paper.

scallywag's Introduction

You need to give the reinstatement 7-10 days. It takes 4 days or so for the medication to reach a steady state in your body (serum concentration) and then a few more days for your CNS (central nervous system) to "get the message" and start making adjustments.

It's hard to tell what we'll suggest if there's little to no improvement. It depends on your symptoms.

Take your dose at the same time every day.  Keep track of the times of your doses and of your symptoms on paper.

Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hoping it works for you.  Good luck.

Okay. Now on my fifth day of taking 2MG of citalopram. Short diary following my symptoms

Day 1 2nd of September

8AM

Took 2ml (2mg) of the liquid

3PM

Finished work, not much difference. A couple short waves of normality.

7PM

Defiently improved since yesterday

11PM

Bed

3rd of September

8AM

Slept well, not as tired this morning. Took the liquid. No dramatic effects. Clearer head. Not sure if that's down to sleeping pattern or cit.

8PM

Just back from a date. Was very nervous but glad i done it. Once i settled down it was good fun. Absolutely shattered from todays events. Overthinking the date in my head which is annoying

4th of September

8AM

in work, feel a bit sick. Slight headache but nothing too intense

4PM

Tired but not bad, no effect as of yet

8PM

Withdrawels seem to be kept at bay

5th of September

10:30AM

First day off in a week so slept in a little later. Still very tired, not sure if i overslept or it's the drugs. Brain fog has lifted, still slightly zoned out.

6PM

Slight sore head. Not much sign of any side effects yet and withdrawels are at a stand still which is positive.

Which brings me to today!

It's been quite a good few days. Ten fold improvement from Monday - Thursday. This could be a window that i was due or the drug. We'll hopefully find this out by how I'm feeling for the next few days.

Will keep updating.

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 20 days since I reinstated on citalopram.

The good form continued for around a week and then I went into a bit of a weird phase which has gone on and stayed.

It's difficult to describe. I wouldn't say I'm depressed or experiencing any harsh effects (the odd headache which is probably irrelevant) but I'm not myself, and not how I was when I first began taking the drug.

I feel zoned out during the day and not bothered about anything. Like before, I dont feel like the joy is there but I'm not arsed about it this time. I'd take this over feeling how I was any day of the week so I guess thats a good thing. I know I'm going to have ups and downs and things always seem to better. I'm aware I'm the only one that understands the way I feel and ultimately it's my call at the end of the day but do use have any advice for me?

Thanks

Luke

• 1 month later...

Back again. Still on 2.5mg a day and have been since i last posted. Been doing okay, more good than bad so i guess that's positive. Past few days my anxiety has flared up which is unusually because I've only ever had my demons with depression and rarely anxiety. Stressful situation's such as busy spells in work and social encounters have been making me very panicky. Just going to see how things pan out in the next couple of weeks but I'm determined to keep a log of my symptoms and post them here. It doesn't bother me if anyone replies, it's more for me and my own account.

Peace.

I've been creating my own liquid citalopram soloution for a while now. Quick question, I crush 10mg and dilute it with 10ml of water, I take 2.5ml a day (2.5mg in meds). I keep the liquid in the fridge and this lasts me 4 days. My question is, how quickly does citalopram lose it's potency or strength? towards the third or fourth day the liquid doesn't have the chemical after taste that it does the first 2 days. Does this in anyway effect the drug?

thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post/question to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

I just scanned quickly the Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram) thread. There is no reference to how long a DIY citalopram solution is good.

The best way to tell if this is affecting you is to track your symptoms. If you notice a repeating 4-day pattern, it is likely related to the strength of the solution.

Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:
Take notes of doses and symptoms  

That said, the biggest concern with citalopram is likely not the strength of the solution but the potential for microbial growth, e.g. bacteria, molds. You should be okay keeping it in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 month later...

Hi posterboy, how are you doing now? Are you still taking the 2.5mg?

December 2010: 10mg Citalopram

April 2011: 5mg for 2 weeks then cold turkey withdrawal - Extremely bad depression / no emotions

June 2011: Reinstated 10mg - After 3 weeks started getting impulsive suicidal thoughts

July 2011: Cold turkey - Withdrawal hell begins...

January 2021: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram as last resort

February 2021: 0.2mg Citalopram for 2 days had bad foggy head so went back down to 0.1mg

Upon reducing I experienced low mood, suicidal thoughts, burning up, low appetite, very bad insomnia, mild diarrhoea

22 Feb 2021: Stopped all Citalopram after panic / depression attack and crying similar to when I reinstated back in June 2011.

4 April 2022: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram - Anxiety + foggy head

5 April 2022: Stopped Citalopram - More lasting damage...