Getting Doctor to write prescriptions for supplements and vitamins -- save money

chicken

Magnesium citrate has really helped with my anxiety. I have been taking it for almost two years now. I buy it in the big bottle of 120 soft gels. This costs me approx. $22.

I have an FSA health spending card through my employer. The employer places a certain amount on the card each year for prescriptions and medical expenses. Normally, supplements are bought over the counter and the FSA card will not pay for those. Today, I asked my doctor to write a prescription for my magnesium citrate and I am now able to pay for it with the FSA card funds.

I have also been able to get a prescription written for nasal wash. It looks as if you can get insurance and or FSA accounts to pay for any vitamins and supplements if a prescription is written for them.

Just letting everyone know so some money can be saved.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Administrator

Good idea, chicken.

I used to make a list and ask my doctor to sign it, as a prescription.

In the US, when you have a "prescription" like this for supplements and vitamins, you can add them to unreimbursed medical expenses as a tax deduction (you have to have a LOT of expenses to make this worthwhile).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy