SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Daisy1: Citalopram side effects causing misery

Daisy1

Hi all, i'm absolutely desperate for some help. I found this site on a Google search, and found a member on here who posted in April and has experienced the exact same side effects as me. I only started citalopram 5 weeks a go as I thought it would help my social anxiety which I've had on and off for 6 years. Its worse if I'm stressed and I've just moved and had to leave my job as I was living with my husband in tied accommodation with his job but he got sacked and I could no longer commute to my old job. I've taken citalopram before, after switching from fluoxetine. I was on the citalopram for about 2 years and came off successfully. The citalopram side effects have been unbearable this time round. The gp started me at 20mg and as soon as I took the first dose I felt an incredible sense of worry. Things got worse. I got intrusive harming thoughts about 5 days in about others-I've never had these before in my life ! I couldn't eat or sleep for 10 days and went to out of hours gp who prescribed me lorezepam .5mg to take if im desperte and advised me to cut down to 10mg for one week then increase to 15mg for a week then take 20mg for a week. The harming thoughts went after a couple of weeks and my appetite has returned slightly but now I'm having terrible negative mind chatter that lasts all day long, like my subconcious is constantly talking to me, I find it so hard to get to sleep and worry I will be like this forever ! No matter what I do walk the dog, see friends do house work it's there. I'm convinced this is being caused by citalopram. I'm now on my 2nd week at 20mg (approaching 6 weeks all round). I found when I was 10mg for a week I felt a bit better, and could watch TV and concentrate a bit. I can't concentrate on anything at that the moment and feel in a constant state of worry and anxiety thats just getting worse. I want to come off cit as I don't believe this is my anxiety, I believe it's the citalopram. My gp wants me to stay on for another 2 weeks and prescribe me 25mg quetiapine to take in the evening. I'm no longer taking lorazepam or diazepam. I don't think I can face another 2 weeks of this menatal torture, I just want my old self back. Can anyone suggest how to taper off safely? Thank you

Started Fluoxetine 40mg In 2010

Switched to citalopram 2011.Fluoxetine made me very drowsy.

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

Almost 2 years med free, happy and less anxiety.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Stopped cit 01/8/16. Stopped quetiapine 3/8/16

Taking fish oil

If I was you I would drop back to 10 mg immediately and then after one month start the 10% cut per month that you can find more details of on the rest of this site under tapering.

All the best.  After 4 days of dropping back to 10 mg you should be so much better.

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

• Moderator Emeritus

Daisy -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums enlightening and helpful.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

We recommend tapering by a maximum of 10% of current dose every 4 weeks. Some people find that 10% is too much so make reductions of 5% or smaller and hold for longer. Please read the links I've posted below for more information about that:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

I've asked other moderators to have a look at your situation and question about the citalopram dose you're taking. 

You say that your doctor's plan is to have you stay on citalopram for 2 more weeks. I hope you'll have a conversation with her/him about a slow, gentle taper rather than a sudden cold-turkey discontinuation. This paper provides an explanation why people have horrendous symptoms on fast tapers and cold-turkey

Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

The paper is linked in the first post. The first SERT occupancy curves are on page 4 of the paper. The research looked at 4 SSRI drugs: Prozac (fluoxetine), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram) and Paxil (paroxetine); the 5th drug was Effexor (venlafaxine).

Please read this topic about quetiapine before your appointment and certainly before filling a prescription:

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Please put your withdrawal history in signature

I'm glad you figured out how to follow this thread to get notifications of new posts.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. Have a look around the forums and come back here to ask questions about your situation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

What Scallywag said. 

Getting off of any psychotropic drug isn't going to be easy. I'm sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately many docs are good at treating symptoms and not the underlying causes. But let me reassure you- you will NOT be like this forever. Your symptoms are indeed what we all go through during the early days of withdrawal. But remember- all the mind chatter, the negative thoughts, the harming thoughts- this isn't you. It's the effects of those drugs. 

I wish you all of the best. 

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Daisy, welcome!

I'm just one mod of many, please provide your signature so we have more complete information to help you.

Please do not start going down the rabbit hole of lorazepam or quetiapine.  Your doctor seems to hand these things out quite liberally, while here we are at SA helping people come off of them.  Giving more drugs to help with drug symptoms is not a good solution.   And it's not as easy as "just quitting" (as you are learning) - regardless of whether it is an "antidepressant" or "sleep aid" or "anti-anxiety" - they all fiddle with the brain, and it take the brain time to adjust.

All of your symptoms are sadly, "normal" in withdrawal.  You can check your symptoms on this list, and see - yes - this is withdrawal.  You can also use the list to track your symptoms:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

If you are highly anxious at 20 mg, you may be able to make a few larger drops to start, but after that, we recommend 10% of current dose after that, like Scally and Joy have said.  This seems really slow, but really - you start feeling so much better that it becomes easier to do, once you get used to meddling with your pills (pills must be cut, weighed, or made into liquid in order to take 10% cuts).  We'll have a better answer for you when you get back with your signature.  Are you using a phone?  SA looks different on a phone:

Complete your Signature from Phone or Tablet

Meanwhile, please get familiar with our Symptoms and Self Care forum http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/  where you may find some Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms.

Welcome to SA!  I think you got here at a good time for you to take control of your situation and come off the drug safely - it's always better to do this before it gets really bad (and believe me, it can get worse).  You are in a window of opportunity where we can find your optimum dose and teach you how to gently come off the drug with minimum symptoms.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

Welcome, Daisy.

It looks very much like you are having very counterproductive side effects from citalopram. If I were you, I'd cut to 15mg now, and move to 10mg more gradually. (See Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram) )

As the others said, coming off the drug altogether will take more time, now that your nervous system is dependent on it.

Doctors often very inappropriately concoct a cocktail of drugs to offset adverse effects from one of them. I would avoid adding lorazepam, a truly addictive drug, or quetiapine, a drug that causes metabolic dysfunction, to your problems.

It's very possible that as you've gotten older, or for other reasons, you no longer tolerate a higher dose of citalopram. Now that your nervous system is stressed by the drug, you may find you are even more sensitive to this and other neurologically active drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your replies. I cut down to 10mg last night. I don't think they prescribe 15mg ? I am so worried the mind chatter won't go away and it will be permanent? Please tell me you have heard of this happen to other people who have staeted on citalopram ? never had this before I started evil citalopram. I only took quetiapine for 2 nights and haven't touched it since. And I don't plan to use any benzos again.I just want to be back to normal. I'm so frightened

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Daisy,  to make the dose reductions, you have to work with the manufacturers' doses and customize your own. People cut and shave pills and tablets, weigh powders and/or make liquids.

Cutting to 10 mg in one step from 20 mg is a huge step. I hope you'll consider Altostrata's suggestion of 15 mg.

There are several members who are posting regularly on our forums that are making a liquid from their citalopram tablets/caplets. Here are detailed instructions on making a liquid:

Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules

Making a Celexa (citalopram) solution

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I am on and was on citalopram too.

The 20 mg dose made me extremely ill, zombie like, homicidal and suicidal.

I almost died.

I felt like the drug was stripping away layers of my sense of self and brain.

This was happening for 5 years straight if you can imagine that.

I hope you recover and taper slowly and take the other mods advice....

Hugs :)

Yana

2010 started 10 mg celexa, 2011 went up to 20 mg

06/2014 started tapering (20 mg,10 mg alternate days)

19/09/2014 crashed at 10 mg

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

August 31 2015- Started my 5% taper anyways

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

May 4 2016- Updosed to 15.5 mg to try and stabilize

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

Hi Yana, how long were you on citalopram for ? Are you better today?

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Daisy, your dose is 20 mg pills or 10 mg pills?  Take a 10 mg pill and 1/2 of a 10 mg pill = 15 mg.  OR - 1/2 + 1/4 of a 20 mg pill = 15 mg (this is slightly less accurate, because you lose accuracy every time you make a slice).

The pharmaceutical companies are criminally negligent in not providing the dose decrements we need in order to come off of their drugs safely.

Get used to the 15 mg, and then you can learn about liquid tapers which will make future decreases easier. 

Really, 20 mg to 10 mg is a 50% significant drop.  Too much!  Please go to 15 mg if you can, mods agree that this would be safer for you.

Coming off "faster" does not always mean healing faster - if the roots of the drug are in you so deep, and you rip the roots out all at once, you have a gaping hole that collapses and takes LONGER to heal.  Coming off the drug faster actually runs a higher risk of symptoms of withdrawal, and, therefore, longer periods of time on the drug.  So faster does not always mean sooner.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9451-delayed-onset-of-withdrawal-symptoms/ and The slowness of slow tapers 

It can get much worse, and sometimes these symptoms don't hit for 6 months or more.  That's why we go so slowly, to give these delayed reactions time to catch up.  Please, be gentle on yourself and start cutting tablets for your own safety.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I was put on 40mg of citalopram and I started getting terrible side effects my hair even started falling out, funny enough I was on it for about 3 years and I was fine I came off it for a short time and my depression relapsed so they put me back on them but the second time it was like taking a different drug altogether . I was moved onto 60mg of Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Phil, thanks for sharing your experience with citalopram.  Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum so that we can get to know you and answer your questions.

scallywag's Introduction

I'm on day 4 of 10mg from going down to 20mg. My gp said if would be ok to go down to 10mg as I only had about 12 days on 20mg. I wish I had never started citalopram. I only had a little anxiety before starting these, then on day 5 of starting I had intrusive thoughts and hallucinations and now my won't shut off at all. I can't wait to be off these. Does anyone else know if constant racing thoughts/intrusive thoughts are a side effect of this medication? I'm rwally preying one I stop in a couple of weeks all this will go awaym

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Daisy, most GPs understand little to nothing about these drugs.  I hope he's right with his guess about what will work.  Keep us posted on how you're doing with this 50% cut.

scallywag's Introduction

Hello everyone. I cut down to 5mg last night,life after over a week on 10mg cit. I'm still taking 25mg quetiapine at night so I can sleep. How long should i stay at the cit dose for before i go to 2.5mg ? I feel better then I did a week ago. The mind chatter has calmed down a lot and I no longer think I should belong in a mh unit or feel suicidal, and I am able to eat now and have an appetite now

I'm definitely not myself though. I'm really struggling with emotional numbness. I don't feel happy or sad, just blank. Will this last forever ? Please someone tell me it gets better x

Taking fish oil

Hi everyone. I thought I would introduce myself. I went to my gp 6 weeks a go for some help with anxiety, and panick attacks which flared up again as we moved house, and was looking for a new job. I had taken citalopram about 2 years a go for 18 months or so and thought I would try it again for social anxiety after a 2 year break. This time round I had terrible side effects on 20mg citalopram, hallucinations, intrusive thoughts, racing mind chatter. I nearly admitted myself to hospital but glad I didn't as I found this website and they would have just put me on more drugs. The gp has also put me on quetiapine 25mg to sleep which im still taking. It's been so miserable. I actually thought I was going to hurt myself or someone I love. I'm now tapering down to 5mg after a week on 10mg, and have no more hallucinations, or bad thoughts but the worst thing is I feel emotionally numb and empty. I can't cry, laugh or concentrate and my short term memory is terrible. I worry my marriage won't last as I can't work with this happening to me and I'm emotionally void. My family are supportive, but I feel guilty. Is this normal with these drugs ? I feel my soul has been ripped out. Please tell me I will feel like my old self again some day ? I would also like to offer support to anyone else going through this terrible time,and trying to stay positive

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Daisy1

I've merged the topic you created today into your Intro/Update topic.  Each member has 1 Intro/Update topic where they can ask questions about their individual situation and journal their progress.  It keeps your history in one place which is helpful for both you and other members.

As requested by Scallyway in Post #4, Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  It is also helpful if you update your signature whenever you make a change by including the date, drug and dose.  This way your drug history will remain current and can be seen at a glance.

Edited by ChessieCat
corrected link for signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

... I went to my gp 6 weeks a go for some help with anxiety, and panick attacks which flared up again as we moved house, and was looking for a new job.

I had taken citalopram about 2 years a go for 18 months or so and thought I would try it again for social anxiety after a 2 year break.

This time round I had terrible side effects on 20mg citalopram, hallucinations, intrusive thoughts, racing mind chatter. I nearly admitted myself to hospital but glad I didn't as I found this website and they would have just put me on more drugs.

The gp has also put me on quetiapine 25mg to sleep which im still taking. It's been so miserable. I actually thought I was going to hurt myself or someone I love.

I'm now tapering down to 5mg after a week on 10mg, and have no more hallucinations, or bad thoughts but the worst thing is I feel emotionally numb and empty. I can't cry, laugh or concentrate and my short term memory is terrible.

I worry my marriage won't last as I can't work with this happening to me and I'm emotionally void. My family are supportive, but I feel guilty.

Is this normal with these drugs ? I feel my soul has been ripped out. Please tell me I will feel like my old self again some day ? I would also like to offer support to anyone else going through this terrible time,and trying to stay positive

Daisy: Cognitive issues such as short term memory, and emotional symptoms such as anhedonia (feeling numb and empty) are unfortunately common both as adverse "side" effects and as withdrawal symptoms. Some but not all people find that symptoms lift as they slowly reduce the dose of the SSRI (citalopram).

How to create a signature:

1. Click on your username on the black bar at the top of any page.

Result: A menu of user options appears.

2. Click on "My settings".

Result:  The user control page appears. There's a vertical menu of options: Profile, Email & Password, Signature, etc.

3. Click on "Signature"

4. Enter your drug, doses, discontinuations and reinstatements in the "Edit Signature" box.

5. Click "Save Changes."

scallywag's Introduction

Hello I will update my signature when I've been to gp on Wednesday. I need to find out when I firstly started taking ssri a few years ago. I'm currently withdrawing from citLopram. I hate that I have to take it as looking back it sent my anxiety crazy, I had hallucinations and mania which happened on day 5. Now I find it really hard to relax. My head on one side feels fuzzy and sleep is terrible. Do you know if people recover from adverse reactions to these drugs ? I'm petrified I'll be this way forever:(

Taking fish oil

• Administrator

Hello, Daisy. Yes, people recover but it can take many months. You'll have to be patient.

How much citalopram are you taking now? Are you taking any other drugs?

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alostrata. I stopped citalopram 3 days a go. I was on it for almost 5 weeks and then tapered down over 2 weeks. As explained previously it caused me so many start up effects from hallucinations, intrusive harming thoughts towards others, no appetite, insomnia, constant negative ruminations about my life, worst was waking up thinking I had harmed my husband or dog and then became scared off myself, others and knifes. It was truly horrendous, I almost admitted myself to a mh unit. I only wish I had stopped cit much sooner like in three first week, but gp told me to stay on it. I have tapered off quetiapine too, so no drugs now. Since stopping cit I don't feel much better, the harming thoughts and hallucinations have gone though. But Now my brain is in constant overdrive like im having conversations with myself in my head and with others, random songs pop in. This goes on all day, like im trapped in my own bubble. I don't get a minutes peace unless I'm reading/asleep oddly. I feel like im going insane and having great concentration issues because of this. Never had this a few years ago on citalopram or in general

By the way I'm not having dark thoughts or harming thoughts, just feel like im on another planet from everyone else ! I have improved my diet, go out walking and swimming, and still being social which is very hard, but I can't work like this. I'm having councelling once a week and trying mindfulness. Do you think I should take any supplements at this stage ? Also are there any success stories for people like me ? Thanks x

Taking fish oil

Hi Daisy--  check out the intro thread for theelt712. She hasn't been around for a while because she's out love'n life.  I first meant her on the PaxilProgress board. She had taken drugs for a couple of weeks and had a bad reaction.  Her recovery was rough at first but got progressively better, and has been doing great for well over a year, maybe two, now.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you Brassmonkey. My only WD symptons so far have been low sleep and fuzzy feelings in my arms or legs if I move too quickly. One that bothers me the most is all the imaginary conversations I keep having in my head with other people and asking myself so many questions. This goes on all day and making it very hard to concentrate or remember anything. My mind wont ever clear. Does anyone know what this could be, for example ADD or ocd ? It's like im in a dream like state all day, and it's hard to distinguish my own exact thoughts. Never has this before I took citalopram, very frustrating.

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Daisy, you created a thread "Always hungry, hungry, hungry"  I've moved that to our existing discussion that includes appetite changes.

Weight and appetite changes

scallywag's Introduction

Ok thanks. I went to gp and had my bloods done. I have low potassium levels in my kidneys, and have go back to for a repeat test. Not normal for a 28 yr old female ! Could this have been brought on by the citalopram and the reaction I had to it, and may explain I had serotonin syndrome ?

Taking fish oil

Will a magnesium supplement help correct this ? I've been eating 2 bananas a day as well. I'm so scared of the damage this has done to me and frightened to go back to the gp.

Taking fish oil

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where to ask this question, but from what I've seen most people who experience adverse reactions to ssri's do so on the same drug the 2nd time round, which happened to me. Does anyone know why this happens ?

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Daisy one possible explanation is Limbic system kindling.

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks Scallywag. I hate to say I'm feeling worse. I have no appetite at all, and bad stomach. Depression is intense, I have 0 interest in anything. My mind is still not letting up either. It will not switch off, it just wants to think about what's happeneing to me and a lot of dark confusing thoughts, flashbacks to childhood, I won't recover etc. It's become a torture chamber. I don't even know my own thoughts anymore my head is so clouded, I don't know if I'm in some sought of mania depression. I just don't know what to do. I feel really weak. Last week i had a full on apetite and could watch tv without thoughts for a bit. Since i got my period 4 days a go its got worse.I can't reinstate as citalopram sent me this way in the first place. I don't feel human anymore :(

Taking fish oil

I should say my sleep is better. I can do 7-8 hours a night. I still can't believe this has happened to me. I thought I knew what depression felt like, although I never have really been depressed I use to have a week at the most where I would sometimes sleep more and feel a bit low. This is 1000x worse like chemical, I know I have been through quite a lot this year but I know for sure this is not me. Cit has done this without a doubt.

Taking fish oil

I wanted to say hello to you on your thread. How wonderful your sleep is better - that is a great sign! I know exactly what you mean about this feeling chemical and not like you. I am hopeful you will recover soon as you were not on the medication long. I'll be thinking about you!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

Thank you wantrelief. Stay strong :)

Taking fish oil

Please help, I've returned to my gp today. I've not been able to eat for a few days and feel very thirsty, but constant peeing. My forehead feels like it's burning but temp was normal. She did my urine test and it's come back with protein in it so I have to go back again for blood test tomorrow. But she prescribed me antibiotics trimethroprin 200mg for 3 days. I'm terrified to take one incase I feel even more worse. My blood test before indicated low potassium in my kidneys. I don't know if I should wait until tomorrow afternoon for the results first?

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

The antibiotics are unlikely to make your withdrawal symptoms worse. Can you call your doctor about the advisability of waiting until the lab results confirm that you need the antibiotic?

scallywag's Introduction

It sounds to me as though you have cystitis, a urine infection, the hotness you feel is probably a withdrawal symptom.  If you leave a urine infection untreated your withdrawal symptoms will be harder to cope with.  I would take the antibiotics myself, but I am not a doctor, but I do work as a health care worker and trimethoprim is commonly used for urine infections and is well tolerated by even the very elderly.

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem