Don't waste your money on Truehope, The Road Back, Point of Return, Label Me Sane, Hardy Nutritionals

whimsy

• Moderator Emeritus

KathyL, please would you start a topic for yourself in our Introductions and updates forum, then we can get to know you better and provide support and suggestions for your taper off Zoloft.

No supplements will protect you from withdrawal symptoms if you are tapering too fast, in fact if your nervous system becomes destabilized from withdrawal, supplements can cause adverse effects, so you need to be careful as you continue tapering lower.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I only have one post because I just joined this forum today.  I don't know what you are implying by calling me names.  I, like everyone else on this forum, have been a victim of the medical industry.  I have been on Zoloft for 10 +years.  I got myself from 100 to 50 but every time I tried to go lower, I got so sick that I had to go back to 50.  I am using the Road Back Method and some of their supplements to control my withdrawal symptoms.  I am having success.  I just made my first successful reduction from 50 to 47.5.  I have stabilized on this dose now.  Per their recommendation, I will wait a week and then make my next 5% decrease.  I have even emailed them about what I could do for Nausea and they did not recommend a supplement.  He recommended Ginger tea.  I think we should all be open-minded and value input from others.  Just because something doesn't work for someone, it doesn't mean it can't work for anyone.  I actually need to consider wether or not to remain a member of this forum.  I did not expect to be attacked on my first post.  I do not need to defend myself on top of everything else I am going through.

Sorry about that - glad that you're not what I guessed!

This is the internet after all - it's not uncommon for self-advertisements to pop up.  It's nothing personal.  I suppose it was a bit rude of me to make that guess, so I apologize if I offended you.  I do NOT represent everyone on this website, or this community - just someone who made a bad guess who's in a similar situation as yourself.

• 2 months later...

I became a member simply to reply to posts suggesting Neuro Genetic Solutions and "The Road Back Program" are a waste of money, and Jim Harper, President, is marketing the product singly for personal monetary gain.  My journey to recovery from psychotherapeutic drugs began exactly one year ago.  My usage of anti-depressant drugs began in the 80s with the inception of Prozac. The therapeutic nature of this drug, and the formulation of anti psychotic/depressant drugs to follow, were a seductive and deceptive manuever by the pharmaceutical companies to enlarge their bottom line at the risk of true mental health to those prescribed.  Not much different than the passage of "aspartame" or "corn syrup", etc.

I'm 67 years old, and have been a nurse for forty years.  The nature of medicine is not foreign to me.  I'm also true to alternative measures of healthcare, blending modalities.  When I decided to withdraw from anti-depressants, recognizing over the years I didn't feel measureably better on medications, I researched alternatives.  I came across Jim Harper's Program.  After reading Jim's book, and reviewing with my PCP (primary care practitioner), board certified Internal Medicine, I began the program January 2015.  Without describing the schedule used, I spent three months weaning from the anti depressant currently prescribed.  Throughout that period, Jim Harper responded personally via email and phone when I had questions and/or symtom concerns, readjusting supplementation usage as needed.  I did not know Jim prior to beginning the program, and haven't corresponded with him in several months, meaning, we were not friends or acquaintances prior to January 2015.  Jim Harper simply and completely concerned himself with my wellfare throughout the program, and supported my journey at no additional cost.   He is the real deal. 

I continued the supplements by choice an additional three to four months, and I've never relapsed.  The program stands on great merit.  I am a user that through experience can attest to my success.  It's dissappointing to note criticism by someone who is not familiar with the program or the administrator.  For each of you seeking relief from the strong holds of anti psychotic and anti depressant drugs, know that it can be done.  My path, and the system I used, "The Road Back", was successful.  To this I can attest.  Find yours and start the journey to recovery.  My best to each of you.

I became a member simply to reply to posts suggesting Neuro Genetic Solutions and "The Road Back Program" are a waste of money, and Jim Harper, President, is marketing the product singly for personal monetary gain.  My journey to recovery from psychotherapeutic drugs began exactly one year ago.  My usage of anti-depressant drugs began in the 80s with the inception of Prozac. The therapeutic nature of this drug, and the formulation of anti psychotic/depressant drugs to follow, were a seductive and deceptive manuever by the pharmaceutical companies to enlarge their bottom line at the risk of true mental health to those prescribed.  Not much different than the passage of "aspartame" or "corn syrup", etc.

I'm 67 years old, and have been a nurse for forty years.  The nature of medicine is not foreign to me.  I'm also true to alternative measures of healthcare, blending modalities.  When I decided to withdraw from anti-depressants, recognizing over the years I didn't feel measureably better on medications, I researched alternatives.  I came across Jim Harper's Program.  After reading Jim's book, and reviewing with my PCP (primary care practitioner), board certified Internal Medicine, I began the program January 2015.  Without describing the schedule used, I spent three months weaning from the anti depressant currently prescribed.  Throughout that period, Jim Harper responded personally via email and phone when I had questions and/or symtom concerns, readjusting supplementation usage as needed.  I did not know Jim prior to beginning the program, and haven't corresponded with him in several months, meaning, we were not friends or acquaintances prior to January 2015.  Jim Harper simply and completely concerned himself with my wellfare throughout the program, and supported my journey at no additional cost.   He is the real deal. 

I continued the supplements by choice an additional three to four months, and I've never relapsed.  The program stands on great merit.  I am a user that through experience can attest to my success.  It's dissappointing to note criticism by someone who is not familiar with the program or the administrator.  For each of you seeking relief from the strong holds of anti psychotic and anti depressant drugs, know that it can be done.  My path, and the system I used, "The Road Back", was successful.  To this I can attest.  Find yours and start the journey to recovery.  My best to each of you.

Rather than relaying your positive experiences with Jim Harper, I'd prefer to see a 3 paragraph first post about the actual supplementation and program. 

Can you go into detail about the exact supplements, the dosages, and the duration of intake?

The problem with this program is that it's just so blatantly for-profit - and I have yet to see any detailed information about the program itself. 

So unless you can provide more specific information about the exact program you went through, rather than a generalized positive testimonial, my opinion about "the road back" (and other blatantly for-profit supplemental programs) will be highly suspect.

As a nurse, you have been trained to be detail-oriented, and accurate - so please relay to us the specific and accurate details regarding what supplements were taken (and time courses) - so that readers here on SA can judge for ourselves whether or not the program seems suspect or whether it's possibly beneficial.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome avg,

I'm happy you have managed to taper from your medication successfully and have recovered. But I'm sorry to hear that you spent a lot of money on a program which was most likely unnecessary. Many people are able to taper from these medications without a lot of problems and perhaps you were one of these. Even if you believe you were helped by the program supplements, they are very over priced and the ingredients can be purchased at a fraction of the cost from many outlets and online stores.

As osk wrote, your post does sound like a testimonial, written specifically to promote one of the programs which have been looked into and found not suitable for our recommendation.

We do NOT recommend:

- The Road Back and their supplements

About current supplements from The Road Back:

A company called Neuro Genetic Solutions, based in Belleair Bluffs, Florida, manufactures all The Road Back's supplements. Its president is Jim Harper, owner of The Road Back.

Jim Harper, of The Road Back, vigorously recommends the purchase of supplements from a company he owns. Conflict of interest?

I have read much of The Road Back's sciencey-sounding literature about the recipes for its supplements. From what I can see, it is all hogwash designed to snare the gullible.

Curiously, one must look at the labels for the supplements on a site such as Amazon to find exactly what's in the capsules, because the Neuro Genetic Solutions site discusses them in only general terms. If a supplement maker will not divulge the ingredients in a supplement, do not purchase the supplement. They are being sneaky.

• Omega 3 Supreme TG is nothing but an ordinary -- but extremely overpriced -- omega-3 fish oil supplement. (Fish oil capsules of this type should cost about US$ 0.10 per capsule.)
  • Neuro Mini Endure is an extremely overpriced supplement containing a "proprietary" blend of Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALC), Bacopa Monnieri, N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and L-Glutamine -- mostly common amino acids that should be tried separately, and at much lower cost, because you could have a bad reaction to any one of them.
  • Body Calm Supreme Nighttime Relief Melatonin Free is an extremely overpriced supplement containing a "proprietary" blend of GABA, L-Theanine, Montmorency Tart Cherry, and Passion Flower, all of which should be tried separately, and at much lower cost, because you could have a bad reaction to any one of them.
  • Optimum Solace is an extremely overpriced supplement containing 15mg saffron (an herb) with 200mcg of Quatrefolic folate (this is the absorbable type for MTHFR mutations). Some people find folate activating -- causing nervousness, anxiety, insomnia. These are two substances that should be tried separately, and at much lower cost.
  • JNK Capsules contain a bunch of things you might find in an ordinary multivitamin with minerals -- each of which should be tried separately, and at much lower cost, because you could have a bad reaction to any one of them.
Looking at the nonsensical detail in this stuff puts me in a bad mood. I don't want to ever have to research any The Road Back supplements again. If I were you or any consumer, I'd take this information as an indication that you are being scammed.

The Road Back supplements may be labeled as

• TRB Health
  • Neuro Genetic Solutions

Both companies owned by Jim Harper or James Harper.

If you were happy to have spent your money and are satisfied with the outcome, that's great. But please see the site policy here No recommendations for commercial programs to assist withdrawal We have had many reports of people in withdrawal having bad reactions to these over-hyped products.

If you are participating in these programs and like their products, you are welcome to participate here as well, and we will support your taper. However, if you wish to publicly discuss these programs with others, please go to the sites run by their respective companies.

You can find everything you need here at Surviving Antidepressants to safely taper from your medications, completely free, including information about supplements which  have helped, harmed or done nothing, giving you enough information on which to base your decisions about what to sensibly spend your money on.

Plus you get support, advice and information from a friendly community available 24 hours a day, information you can believe, because no one is making any money out you.

avg, it would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Also, if you would like to share and discuss your experience of tapering and what helped, please start a topic for yourself in our  Introductions and updates  forum.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I dont know if this is relevant and I cant prove it completely, but there is a lot of conjecture that THE ROAD BACK programme and its owners have associations with the Church Of Scientology. A few years back, when I was desperately trying to get taper with anti- depressants (and having no luck)  I discovered 'the Road Back' website. However, as I need to be able to trace the company founders back to who they are and the history/ business history.. I was put off. Then when I dug deeper I found that there is an association with the founders name and Scientology.

Also, James Harper, author of the book "The Road Back" his Scientology info can be found here: 

Also, The following 3 mentions of James Harper appear in OFFICIAL Scientology publications:

James & Mary Beth Harper Founding Patrons Impact 109 2004-09-01
James & Mary Beth Harper Patrons Impact 114 2006-09-01
James Harper Honor Roll Impact 114 2006-09-01

It may not be the same person, but it just made me wonder. I need to know what is in every supplement.. and I couldnt find this information in the Road Back supplements. Anyway, Im really pleased with this site / forum  (Surviving Anti-Depressants) and I thank its founders. It is based on established facts and peoples experience and it doesnt take money from people who are desperate for help. Im finally able to taper safely and feel so comforted that I have back up here. Thankyou.

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

• Administrator

Thank you, Alia.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a new site last night, theroadback.org, that looks interesting in that it lists an entire book on getting off psycho drugs. Supplements to take, testimonials showing success. I'm just checking into it, learning more about it. Thanks.

Aug.22.2019 20mg | July.4.2019 20.5mg | May.16.2019 22mg | Mar.28.2019 23.5mg | Feb.7.2019 25mg | Dec.20.2018 26.5mg | Nov.1.2018 28.5mg | Sept.13.2018 30.5mg | July.26.2018 32mg | June.7.2018 33.5mg | Apr.19.2018 35.14mg | Mar.1.2018 37mg | Jan.11.2018 39mg | Nov.2.2017 41mg. | Sept.21.2017 stepping down to 43mg. Aug.10.17 45mg. | June 1.17 47mg.| Apr.20.17 50mg | Feb.12.17 53mg  | Jan.1.17 56mg | Nov.9.16 59mg | Sept.1.16 62mg | June 16 .16 65mg.  May 21 2016 Stepped down to Venlafaxine 70mg. 

April 22 2016 switched from Venlafaxine XR 75mg to: different brand, Venlafaxine non-extended release 75mg. Been taking Effexor XR 75mg. many years. Tried reducing last year, began having bad side effects. 

• Administrator

Please use search in the Symptoms forum before starting a new topic. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Has anyone successfully used this program and suggested supplements to discontinue SSRI's? I am skeptical but desperate for anything that will minimize withdrawls. Do you like this program? Seem like a scam? Would like to know your thoughts/experiences. Info was obtained at www.theroadback.org.

2000 - Paxil, cannot remember dosage

2001 - 2002 - Effexor

2004 - lexapro, 10 mg

2005 - lexapro, 20 mg

2007 - lexapro, 30 mg and lamictal, 200 mg

2011 - lexapro, 20 mg, lamictal 200mg and Wellbutrin 300 mg

2013 - lexapro 20 mg, slowly taper lamictal to 50 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg, Ativan .5 mg as needed

2014 - present - taper lexapro from 20 mg to 2.5 mg, lamictal 50 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg, Ativan .5 mg as needed, klonopin .5 mg 3 times per day

• Moderator Emeritus

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5048-truehope-the-road-back-labelmesane/?hl=%2Broad+%2Bback  *topics merged

Definitely not recommended.  Good you thought to check first.

Edited by Petunia

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you for the link to this thread. I'm still new to this site but I'm learning that if I search, chances are there's already a post about it lol. My brain is still in a big fog trying to adjust to reinstatement of lexapro and I've been quite loopy lately.

2000 - Paxil, cannot remember dosage

2001 - 2002 - Effexor

2004 - lexapro, 10 mg

2005 - lexapro, 20 mg

2007 - lexapro, 30 mg and lamictal, 200 mg

2011 - lexapro, 20 mg, lamictal 200mg and Wellbutrin 300 mg

2013 - lexapro 20 mg, slowly taper lamictal to 50 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg, Ativan .5 mg as needed

2014 - present - taper lexapro from 20 mg to 2.5 mg, lamictal 50 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg, Ativan .5 mg as needed, klonopin .5 mg 3 times per day

Hi Ziggy,

This is a much better site and the intent here, is to help..not make money. There's lots to browse through here. If you are feeling something , there will be someone similar here. Loads of great info. But I understand the brain fog. Its not easy. :)

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

I'm very confused right now, because I don't understand, can I answer the question asked in the first post or not. As the question is here, I'm still answering it.

I'm taking Hardynutritionals Daily Essential Nutrients, this is basically the same as Truehope Empowerplus. I feel that it has helped me greatly. But it has taken time and secondly, it hasn't taken away withdrawal symptoms, I still get those. But my overall mental health has increased tremendously and therefore I also think that withdrawal is easier. For example, I don't remember anymore how is it like to feel overwhelming, deep depression - I don't get it anymore. When I make a cut in my meds, I do feel depressed, but it feels like a normal, human depression, low mood, irritability. not out of this world, deep, paralyzing depression.

I do believe though that starting this supplement can be difficult when a person is in withdrawal. It does interfere with meds - it is said that it increases the potential of meds. and people can be oversensitive to vitamins. at the same time I believe that those micronutrients can start to heal the brain when taken long term. I started to feel their effect in 3 months in, and they have improved my health during 2,5 years, it still gets better. I used to feel very lonely and cut off the world, it was like a personality part of me already, struggled with this for 10 years. the vitamins just took it away.

I must say that at the same time I started vitamins, I also started gluten-free-casein-free diet and I have no way of knowing which has helped me more. deep down in my gut it feels though, that vitamins are doing much more.

I also must say that I have been slow and cautious with withdrawing. during 2,5 years I have gone down from 40mg prozac to 9mg, and from 50mg quetiapine to 15mg. I estimate another 1,5-2 years. but it's definitely not possible that only withdrawing has made my mental health so much better. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Administrator

It's possible that it was time passing, rather than Hardynutritionals Daily Essential Nutrients, that made you feel better.

We do not recommend any supplement program promoted to make withdrawal easier. Supplements cannot substitute for careful tapering to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

• Moderator Emeritus

And for another perspective, my 'mental health' has improved out of sight since I began careful tapering.  No supplement programs needed, in my case anyway. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

It's possible that it was time passing, rather than Hardynutritionals Daily Essential Nutrients, that made you feel better.

Definitely not possible. the changes have been huge, and nothing I've ever experienced with other means. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

And for another perspective, my 'mental health' has improved out of sight since I began careful tapering.  No supplement programs needed, in my case anyway. 

good :)

in my case, this can't be the culprit (although yes, being on less meds makes me much better). I was put on double dosage of the meds after bad withdrawal crash in 2012. I started tapering in 2013, and also supplements and diet. I had improved a lot by the time I was back on original dosage, not less. 

I bought a package of The Road Back supplements and felt horrible.  The Body Calm did absolutely nothing to calm me.  In fact I became increasing agitated the more I took of it.  After 1 week of using these supplements, I threw them all out.  I paid over $100 for them too.  A great supplement to help with anxiety and sleep which doesn't interact with psychotropic drugs is Ashwaganda.  I highly recommend it. 

.5 mgs. Risperdal, Feb. 1/16 10% cut or less., mild w/d symptoms (cut too much), Apr. 1/16 5% or less cut, no w/d symptoms, May 15/16 5% or less cut, no w/d symptoms, Sept. 1/16 less than .25 mgs., no w/d symptoms, feeling great.  Risperdal tablets are disintegrating so shaving tiny tiny amounts is how I do it.

2012 to Aug./15 tapered 75 mgs. Effexor to nothing, felt great for 3 months then hit an anxiety patch late Oct., couldn't sleep, shaky all the time, couldn't concentrate. Nov. 1/15 reinstated tiny fraction, Feb. 1/16 8 beads, June 1/16 4 beads, Sept. 1/16 3 beads, no w/d symptoms, Feb. 10/16 2 beads, great no w/d symptoms, taking this really really slow.

200 mgs. Trazodone for sleep.  Will taper very slowly when Effexor and Risperdal are done with proven stability.

Taking Magnesium Citrate, Omega 3 Fish Oil  and Ashwagandha (has calming effect, promotes good sleep & feel energized)

• 1 month later...

I am working on tapering off Effexor XR 75mg. I want everyone here to know about an online organization I am trying to help with this theroadback.org. I am almost three weeks on the supplements and seeing if it will first of all improve my sleep. So far the results are moderate. I am adjusting dosages. I also have developed a neck spasm, I've had for 7 years, called Spastic Torticollis and Cervical Dystonia. I am hoping getting off the med will help to improve that as well! 

Aug.22.2019 20mg | July.4.2019 20.5mg | May.16.2019 22mg | Mar.28.2019 23.5mg | Feb.7.2019 25mg | Dec.20.2018 26.5mg | Nov.1.2018 28.5mg | Sept.13.2018 30.5mg | July.26.2018 32mg | June.7.2018 33.5mg | Apr.19.2018 35.14mg | Mar.1.2018 37mg | Jan.11.2018 39mg | Nov.2.2017 41mg. | Sept.21.2017 stepping down to 43mg. Aug.10.17 45mg. | June 1.17 47mg.| Apr.20.17 50mg | Feb.12.17 53mg  | Jan.1.17 56mg | Nov.9.16 59mg | Sept.1.16 62mg | June 16 .16 65mg.  May 21 2016 Stepped down to Venlafaxine 70mg. 

April 22 2016 switched from Venlafaxine XR 75mg to: different brand, Venlafaxine non-extended release 75mg. Been taking Effexor XR 75mg. many years. Tried reducing last year, began having bad side effects. 

• Moderator Emeritus

We do not recommend The Road Back or their supplements, please read this topic, especially:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5048-truehope-the-road-back-labelmesane/?p=175998

Please start a topic for yourself in our  Introductions and updates section so we can get to know you and provide help and support.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a package of The Road Back supplements and felt horrible.  The Body Calm did absolutely nothing to calm me.  In fact I became increasing agitated the more I took of it.  After 1 week of using these supplements, I threw them all out.  I paid over $100 for them too.  A great supplement to help with anxiety and sleep which doesn't interact with psychotropic drugs is Ashwaganda.  I highly recommend it. 

Thank you for the recommendation - I am not going to stay on Trazadone (I was given to help me get off ADs) so this will come in handy. Ashwaganda - never heard of it before. Many thanks!

Getting off Amitriptyline 25 mg, on 12.5 mg now. 50 mg to 25 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg, currently 30 mg/day for 15 days. Decided to cut open remaining 60 mg capsules and take the little tablets inside. 6 = 30 mg. If need be, I can up the dosage, but aside from a bit of toe pain I am ok.UPDATE: >>>>> Amitriptyline 25 mg 1992- ??? ----- 50 mg until March 21, 2016. 2016 - then 25 mg <<<<<went to 20 mg of Amitriptyline, and down 5 tiny tabs of Cymbalta. (less than 30 mg now. cut Klonopin to 1/4 mg now. Trazadone 50 mg 4/14/16Variety of ADs, Buspar, Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin (to quit smoking. Success!) Cymbalta, Klonopin from '95 to present.Norco (Vicodin or Hydrocodone) '92 to 2014 - cold turkey - minor issuesHad 1 day with withdrawal symptoms - dealing mostly with Side Effects. April 7, 2016: now taking Ami 12.5 and Cymbalta 30 mg. (in bead form) still 1/2 mg Klonopin. Melatonin 10 mg (have been for years). 1 Trazadone 50 mg for sleep. Amino Acids, Omega 3,6 and 9 w/DHA. Turmeric and Ibuprofen for pain,Tramadol, 50 mg, as needed (PRN) - take maybe 1 per day for Fibro pain. Had one day of very swollen calves and ankles, one day of lumps on calves, all better. Today the toes, lasted 2 hrs, now gone. Important to note I am getting off these drugs BECAUSE of multiple side effects. BM much better, I have an appetite and crave healthy foods again. More energy, but not nervous. Sleeping great, much easier to rise, ok with 7 hrs/sleep, used to need 9 or 10.No burning toes 2nd day. Doing well so far. 4/14/16. legs, ankles still an issue, but less so. <p>
4/21/16.>>>> went to 4 tablets Cymbalta and 15 mg Ami and cut Klonpin to 1/8.
UPDATE: 5/5/16 - 15 mg Amitriptyline, 3 tablet Cymbalta (there are 12 in a 60 mg capsule,) very little Klonopin, 50 mg Trazadone, 10 mg Melatonin, Inositol and Ashwagandha. Tramadol PRN.
---- feeling great - no addl. symptoms , only 3 times something like you all list here. leg/ankle swelling still an issue, but not so much-----

6/5/2016 - All done, except for Trazadone. 50mg/nt is all. It is next, in a couple of months. No more Tramadol either - that was unintentionally, but hey, I am not complaining. I am using Kratom once or twice daily.

6/13/2016 - 25 mg of trazadone. 
Doctor is happy for me how well this is all going. :) Almost done with it all!!

I found SA while I perused reviews about The Road back. Signed up with SA, never looked back - well, I did look up the ingredients of their supplements. It can be done, took a whole day ;) 

Many I already had anyhow - I am doing great - been here about a month now.Did 1 taper so far (since I joined)

Thanks for your hard work researching Alto.xx

Getting off Amitriptyline 25 mg, on 12.5 mg now. 50 mg to 25 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg, currently 30 mg/day for 15 days. Decided to cut open remaining 60 mg capsules and take the little tablets inside. 6 = 30 mg. If need be, I can up the dosage, but aside from a bit of toe pain I am ok.UPDATE: >>>>> Amitriptyline 25 mg 1992- ??? ----- 50 mg until March 21, 2016. 2016 - then 25 mg <<<<<went to 20 mg of Amitriptyline, and down 5 tiny tabs of Cymbalta. (less than 30 mg now. cut Klonopin to 1/4 mg now. Trazadone 50 mg 4/14/16Variety of ADs, Buspar, Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin (to quit smoking. Success!) Cymbalta, Klonopin from '95 to present.Norco (Vicodin or Hydrocodone) '92 to 2014 - cold turkey - minor issuesHad 1 day with withdrawal symptoms - dealing mostly with Side Effects. April 7, 2016: now taking Ami 12.5 and Cymbalta 30 mg. (in bead form) still 1/2 mg Klonopin. Melatonin 10 mg (have been for years). 1 Trazadone 50 mg for sleep. Amino Acids, Omega 3,6 and 9 w/DHA. Turmeric and Ibuprofen for pain,Tramadol, 50 mg, as needed (PRN) - take maybe 1 per day for Fibro pain. Had one day of very swollen calves and ankles, one day of lumps on calves, all better. Today the toes, lasted 2 hrs, now gone. Important to note I am getting off these drugs BECAUSE of multiple side effects. BM much better, I have an appetite and crave healthy foods again. More energy, but not nervous. Sleeping great, much easier to rise, ok with 7 hrs/sleep, used to need 9 or 10.No burning toes 2nd day. Doing well so far. 4/14/16. legs, ankles still an issue, but less so. <p>
UPDATE: 5/5/16 - 15 mg Amitriptyline, 3 tablet Cymbalta (there are 12 in a 60 mg capsule,) very little Klonopin, 50 mg Trazadone, 10 mg Melatonin, Inositol and Ashwagandha. Tramadol PRN.
---- feeling great - no addl. symptoms , only 3 times something like you all list here. leg/ankle swelling still an issue, but not so much-----

6/5/2016 - All done, except for Trazadone. 50mg/nt is all. It is next, in a couple of months. No more Tramadol either - that was unintentionally, but hey, I am not complaining. I am using Kratom once or twice daily.

Bravo! Keep on exposing these fraudsters and their overpriced snake oil!!!

It really, really makes me sick, things like this, and I'm pretty sure the supps would make me ACTUALLY sick.

It makes me think an interesting thread could be made re: supplements. I've tried a few, and like you say, some stuff can be 'activating', I got insomnia and anxiety from certain supps and it'd be a nice, little pool of info for us med-damaged people on here.

Knowing what to try/not to try and reading people's first hand experiences would be useful.

PS: Know it's not a supp but currently Amoxicillin is giving me bad insomnia. Only getting 3-4 hrs per night on it.

Bravo! Keep on exposing these fraudsters and their overpriced snake oil!!!

It really, really makes me sick, things like this, and I'm pretty sure the supps would make me ACTUALLY sick.

It makes me think an interesting thread could be made re: supplements. I've tried a few, and like you say, some stuff can be 'activating', I got insomnia and anxiety from certain supps and it'd be a nice, little pool of info for us med-damaged people on here.

Knowing what to try/not to try and reading people's first hand experiences would be useful.

Like they said above, it is because they come all in one capsule. It is better to try one at a time - I am learning. 

For example, B12 came up often - I added it - and OMG - I can actually be productive! (Have not had one today and I can tell ;) 

Also omegas - but so much else I wasn't sure - so I had some, added some, and left the rest. Eventually I hope to sleep naturally again.

I'm trying to battle my way through the supplement minefield, I stocked up last year when I was desperate to solve my PSSD and anhedonia issues. I must have about 40 different types of stuff, B1, B12, B3, Choline & Inositol (activating for me as a duo), Pycnogenol, Vit D, Ashwaghanda, L-Arginine, Rhodiola Rosea, n-acetyl cysteine, I could reel off more!

Once I'm through this tough patch I'm in, I might isolate each one and give it a 1-2 week trial to see if I notice any differences. But I notice I can get insomnia VERY easily...but sleep well without anything in my system. And I'm not sure what Omega 3s do for me...yet. They definitely have an effect, though, they space me out a bit. But I'm not sure what *good* effects they give me(???)

I'm trying to battle my way through the supplement minefield, I stocked up last year when I was desperate to solve my PSSD and anhedonia issues. I must have about 40 different types of stuff, B1, B12, B3, Choline & Inositol (activating for me as a duo), Pycnogenol, Vit D, Ashwaghanda, L-Arginine, Rhodiola Rosea, n-acetyl cysteine, I could reel off more!

Once I'm through this tough patch I'm in, I might isolate each one and give it a 1-2 week trial to see if I notice any differences. But I notice I can get insomnia VERY easily...but sleep well without anything in my system. And I'm not sure what Omega 3s do for me...yet. They definitely have an effect, though, they space me out a bit. But I'm not sure what *good* effects they give me(???)

If nothing else, they help with digestion... 

I am adding the Ashwaghanda as I am getting off the Benzo and Trazadone. Also will focus on herbs such as Valerian root - and most importantly, remove stressors from life. That is a huge one. Baby steps. 

I look forward to seeing you change your name back to being a Person. :) xx

I am adding the Ashwaghanda as I am getting off the Benzo and Trazadone. Also will focus on herbs such as Valerian root - and most importantly, remove stressors from life. That is a huge one. Baby steps. 

P.S. I just sent you a friend request. :)

I totally disagree with what is being said about Jim Harper's program of The Road Back. I was put on Effexor 187.5 in 2011 for anxiety. I have been trying to wean for last several years with NO success. Hungry for answers I read Jim's book and started the recommended tapering process. I am thrilled to say I am currently on .75 mg, week 6 or so of program and feel great!!!! No side effects at all!!! I don't know Jim and have no monetary reason for endorsing his product except to say that if you follow his instructions carefully it does really work! No need to bash this man's program as this is def a well thought out researched structured program that has done well for me and I'm sure for many others. While it may not be for everyone I wouldn't shut the door on it. It has been lifesaving for me. Reply to me if you need more info. Thanks

• Administrator

Tapering works, a program of supplements doesn't do much but deplete your bank account.

Good to hear you've done well with tapering.

I hope to be EntirePerson soon lol.;)

Let me know how you get on with the Ashwaghanda...I'm not sure I was taking it right. It tended to make me feel a bit numb and tired. But it definitely has some kind of effect. Don't you find Valerian smells REALLY bad...like sweaty socks? Like...sweaty socks kept on for FOUR WEEKS?!!!!!!

I'm not sure if I accepted your friend request right but I think you've been added.xx :)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to be EntirePerson soon lol. ;)

Let me know how you get on with the Ashwaghanda...I'm not sure I was taking it right. It tended to make me feel a bit numb and tired. But it definitely has some kind of effect. Don't you find Valerian smells REALLY bad...like sweaty socks? Like...sweaty socks kept on for FOUR WEEKS?!!!!!!

I'm not sure if I accepted your friend request right but I think you've been added.xx :)

hahahaha - yes, I can't take Valerian by itself. I do in teas mixed with other herbs.

Now, I have not kept my socks on for that long yet, and I normally am not in the habit of smelling them...however, I am familiar with Limburger Cheese - and that is pretty close 

(I am laughing so hard right now, I can barely type!! :D )

I like getting tired naturally with the Ashwaghanda - less Trazadone I take. 

A storm is moving in, talking about resting sounds great right now. I think I know where I will be in a couple of hours -

Oh, Inositol. I am taking it at night as well.

I was not eating properly at all, so I am doing well adding some supplements - this whole journey so far has been ok. Aside from swollen legs/ankles.

I will check to make sure we are friends, EntirePerson :) 

Definitely agree, that too many people rely on supplements, many of which have no proven research or have very little paling in comparison to rat studies and other small animal studies. There are a few that have good research on them (Vitamin D, folate, B12, Zinc, Selenium, Fish Oil) but many people choose to eat unhealthily and then add supplements thinking it will 'prevent' or eliminate the effects of other bad lifestyle repercussions. It's also worthwhile to note that many people take what studies DO exist completely out of context, if a study declares an ingredient to enhance cognition, for example, many people see that as enhanced in general, and applying to everything , when it could just be that it is in regard to ONLY working memory, or only short-term memory etc...

I see this all-day long. 

Nice thread though Admin!

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

I'll add in another supplement experience. Creatine (monohydrate) tabs, 3450mg, supposed to take up to three a day. Had these sitting about a fair few months and heard they might be good for lifting negativity...boy was I WRONG.

Took one tab on Friday morning. Felt a bit 'noir'. Had an argument with the ex that day and got over-emotional and stormed off from her. Wasn't sure if it was me or the creatine but I felt edgy and James Dean all day. As an experiment (and as I knew I wasn't gonna be seeing the ex at all. a 'free day'), I took two tabs yesterday morning and suffered a suicidal depression feeling all day, and found myself bursting into tears on the evening at one point. Horrible day, yesterday.

Today, I've not taken one and my mood is MUCH more levelled-out. So I'm pretty certain it was those creatine tabs. God, what a difference in mood! Sometimes you KNOW when something affects you...much in the same way an E makes you happy, some things can just make you feel sad. 

Anyone else felt this with creatine?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy