SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Tom: Hello - off Effexor

Tom

Just wanted to introduce before I jumped in and started posting. I was on Effexor at varying doses for roughly 18 years. I did a taper that lasted over two years, and have been completely off for 11 months. Even though I did a slow taper, I ended up developing anxiety, depression, as well as physical health problems. That's the basics, and I can add more later if necessary.

Approximately 18 years on Effexor. Tapered for more than two years. Totally off of Effexor since late Oct. 2010.

Hi Tom and welcome...you will get plenty of support and wise input here.

I will leave it to the experienced members to chime in but I would just like to say a big well done...getting off effexor is no mean feat and I admire you.

Lor

Paxil 20mg 1995 for panic disorder/anxiety.

3 attempts to w/d c/t. Horrific w/d hit after 1 month each time. Straight back to 20mg.

2003-2007: 30mg.

30mg to 20mg slowly over 2007.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Jan 2009) - big problems, back up to 20mg (pill) immediately. Recovered slowly.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Dec to Feb 2010) - suicidal. Back to 20mg May 2010, could not stabilise.

Dec 2010 to 31/01/2012: 20mg~9.6mg in tiny drops.

21/02/12~9.0

08/03/12~8.4

22/03/12~7.9

12/04/12~7.5

03/05/12~7.1

24/05/12~6.7

14/06/12~6.3

05/07/12~6.0

26/07/12~5.7

17/08/12~5.5

ALSO ON 1MG XANAX

Welcome Tom :)

I am glad you managed to get off effexor. As Lor95 said, Effexor is one of the hardest drug to quit (the second one if I am correct), and you did it with very well! Your taper indicates an outstanding determination and patience, for what you are greatly admirable :)

I am sorry that despite all of your cautiousness you are still suffering from withdrawal. Did it improve? I hope you'll soon see the end of the tunnel.

First AD -sertraline- in 2007at the age of 13 because of child abuse

2009-2013: intricate story of multiple wds, meds and cts, gradually became a living mess

Feb 2013: last CT from a cocktail of four drugs, symptoms are relenting but witness a constant sharpening of the brain

Hi Tom... I don't know very much about Effexor, but was happy to read that you are no longer taking it.

You'll find lots of good info here, as well as kind, caring people.

Welcome to the Forum!

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

Welcome, Tom.

What kinds of symptoms do you have now? Have your symptoms changed over time?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tom--just adding my "welcome" to the others.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi Tom and welcome...you will get plenty of support and wise input here.

I will leave it to the experienced members to chime in but I would just like to say a big well done...getting off effexor is no mean feat and I admire you.

Lor

Thanks, but I don't feel like I've accomplished anything, other than making myself sick, lol.

Welcome, Tom.

What kinds of symptoms do you have now? Have your symptoms changed over time?

All kinds of mental and emotional ones.

Cognitive fog.

Sleep problems and waking early with intense anxiety.

Numbness in limbs. (has improved a lot!)

Digestive problems like acid reflux, gas, and constipation.

Intense itching.

Sciatica.

Those are the ones I can think of right now, hopefully that's all of them. The only one I think I have seen a large improvement in is the numbness, and it is also the first one I experienced and it started while I was still tapering. Some of the symptoms didn't start until many months after I was already off the Effexor. Some symptoms are better some days and worse others. I had about a week and half where my anxiety all but disappeared, including the waking anxiety, but it came back with a vengeance.

Approximately 18 years on Effexor. Tapered for more than two years. Totally off of Effexor since late Oct. 2010.

• Administrator

The waking anxiety might be reduced somewhat by room-darkening -- our eyes are very sensitive to early-morning light.

See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 46 years old. So many years on Effexor as well as other things, may have already shortened my life, for all I know. I'm thinking I may be better off enjoying, to some degree, however much life I have left, and being able to sleep well, etc. It may not be worth it to keep fighting. I don't think the side effects were nearly as bad as what I've been going through since I've been off the med. At least I slept well, and enjoyed some things. Maybe I'm just in an extra-bad wave and it will improve soon. Gonna keep trying for now.

• Administrator

Tom, I moved you latest post here for continuity -- so we can see where you're coming from.

You said you had some symptoms shortly after going off Effexor, and then others came later. Can you explain a little more?

How did you feel when you were on Effexor, before you decided to quit?

Effexor is one of the most difficult drugs to withdraw from, even with a very gradual taper like yours.

The crux of it was the title of the thread and it was a cry for help, that's why I started a new thread. Well, I guess I didn't convey that.

I was doing ok on Effexor but I didn't like the side effects, and I was really afraid of being on it for so long and being stuck on it the rest of my life.

Hi Tom!

I hope you find the support you need here!

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• Administrator

Tom, going back on Effexor or any other antidepressant is unpredictable. Usually it does not seem to help withdrawal syndrome.

There is no known one-size-fits-all treatment for withdrawal syndrome.

What we try to do is lessen symptoms. Because our nervous systems tend to be hypersensitive, we do this very cautiously. The idea is a small change here and there can assist the nervous system to repair itself.

Sleep, for example, is a major problem in withdrawal syndrome. We've got some topics on that in Symptoms and what helps.

You've had withdrawal syndrome for a year, many of your symptoms are classic. We've all gone through the fear, anger, and regret brought on by this condition, which is not recognized by medicine. Inasmuch as there's anything good in this situation, getting beyond these feelings, which can be very difficult, is a gift of growth.

Hello Tom;

I am new as well, but want to thank you for posting about being off of Effexor. You give me hope. In addition, I have the numbness you described. I have been wondering if mine is not from Effexor withdrawl since it began and worsened in proportion to the weaning.

Thanks for joining the forum.

xxxx

I'm so sorry you are suffering, Tom. Realize that one year off after 18 years on is still early in the healing stage. I think 2.5 years to taper off of Effexor is an adequate amount of time so I'm not sure going back on and tapering slower is the answer. Even if it doesn't feel like it, you ARE healing.

I'm surprised the Effexor worked that long to be honest. Many drugs poop out by that time. Reinstating at such a long time off is really a crapshoot. It could make it better, it could make it worse. Are you in therapy to deal with the issues that led you to Effexor in the first place? Realize that Effexor is the hardest AD to withdraw from and you have done it. This in itself is a huge victory. Unfortunately, it does not end with the last dose. You already have a year under your belt and that also is a huge accomplishment. I have heard stories of others who were still going through bad WD at one year off, only to turn a corner at 2 years or even sooner. You never know when it's gonna start getting better. Sometimes it happens out of nowhere. What symptoms exactly are you dealing with?

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Sorry for not answering questions or responding to individual comments, but it gets hard to focus when you get anxious and agitated, etc. Anyway, believe it not, I actually reinstated for two days and then stopped. I almost feel ashamed about it or something, like a recovering alcoholic relapsing. I just think that there are positives and negatives to both reinstating and not reinstating, and it gets confusing. The whole situation is truly being caught between a rock and a hard place. The problem is that you never know when and how much you will recover and it's hard to stay the course when things aren't improving or are getting worse. Gotta have faith I guess.

• Administrator

There is no shame in attempting to reduce withdrawal symptoms, Tom.

Did reinstating help at all?

Alto, no I don't think it helped. I don't know about other drugs, but I think Effexor actually makes some things worse for several days and then it starts kicking in at some point. I don't know if that makes sense, but I think that's how it is. I think it makes a person more anxious at first, and then after a while, like somewhere between 5 days and two weeks, it starts to work for the anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom;

I was just looking at your thread again and would love to hear how you are doing now. Given that I am also dealing with Effexor withdrawal your comment about being between "a rock and a hard place" really hit home with me. That is, exactly what we are all choosing.

I want us all to heal from this and hope you doing okay. Crocus

xxxx

Crocus, I ended up reinstating for two days, then I stopped and a few days later I reinstated for two more days, before I stopped again. It's complicated, but in the last week or so, I feel there has been some improvement in some of my symptoms, though maybe a worsening in others. LOL, what a mess. I don't want to speak to soon though, it's day to day as far as I'm concerned.

• Administrator

Did the Effexor help at all?

What are your symptoms now, Tom?

• 7 months later...

I know this sounds crazy, but I've actually considered going back on a very small dose of Effexor after over a year and a half off of it. Because I have been suffering, plain and simple. And then maybe tapering from that small dose very, very slowly. I plan to keep trying to hang tough for as long as I can, and I think I will get through it, but at some point enough is enough. And it seems at that point, it's either reinstate or maybe go on a low dose benzo, which seems scary as hell too.

Anyway, my question is would it be risky as hell to do that after all this time?

I know this sounds crazy, but I've actually considered going back on a very small dose of Effexor after over a year and a half off of it. Because I have been suffering, plain and simple. And then maybe tapering from that small dose very, very slowly. I plan to keep trying to hang tough for as long as I can, and I think I will get through it, but at some point enough is enough. And it seems at that point, it's either reinstate or maybe go on a low dose benzo, which seems scary as hell too.

Anyway, my question is would it be risky as hell to do that after all this time?

I am so sorry that you are suffering. I don't think there is any scientific documentation as to reinstatement. My understanding is that reinstatement may or may not fully relieve withdrawal symptoms and is very individual.

I can understand that quality of life is the issue. As far as benzos are concerned, it is my experience that there is no such thing as a "low dose" of benzos. Benzos might offer substantial relief if your symptoms consist of anxiety, but should not be prescribed for more than 2-4 weeks. For some people, the withdrawal from benzos is horrific. I have been stuck on benzos for going on 12 years. Although I did everything "wrong" with my taper, I became 100% dysfunctional.

I was very frightened to reinstate Klonopin, but it came down to life or death. Many Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Moderator Emeritus

Tom, does your pdoc know anything about withdrawal syndrome?

If you have to go back on something to live a decent life, you might want to look into an SSRI instead of Effexor, which is an SNRI and notoriously HORRIBLE to wean off. Also, remember, less is more! Try a low dose before you blast off to "therapeutic dose" on any drug. Don't forget all the transient side effects that occur when you start up again...

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Moderator Emeritus

And it seems at that point, it's either reinstate or maybe go on a low dose benzo, which seems scary as hell too.

Tom, how long do you expect a low dose would relieve your anxiety? And what do you consider to be a low dose.. a low number i.e. 1 mg Xanax is not the same as a low dose as it's equivalent to 20 mgs of diazepam, nor does a low dose of any benzo mean a pass on addiction. ~S (who has been on a 24 month benzo taper).

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi Tom,

I apologize for not reading your intro/history, but I have a question.

May I ask what were the reason(s) you tapered off of Effexor?

And I want to reassure you that it does not sound "crazy" to ask questions about going back on an anti-depressant nor does it sound "crazy" to think about a benzo.

Suffering is suffering.

My wish for you, for all of us who suffer, is that you find "livable" options, whatever those may be, that give you back your quality of life.

Many Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Administrator

Tom, you just posted a question about reinstating Effexor.

Looking back on your topic, it seems you've sampled this and it didn't help.

How is your sleep? Has the early morning anxiety changed at all?

• Administrator

Tom, see your Intro topic at http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1269-hello-from-tom-off-effexor

You tried this and it didn't seem to work.

Your anxiety etc. is due to neurological instability brought on by too-fast tapering off Effexor. If at this point reinstating a low dose of Effexor can compensate for Effexor withdrawal, I believe you would have felt some relief when you experimented with this before.

My guess is it is too late for you to reinstate Effexor.

Some people with withdrawal syndrome feel better after going back on an antidepressant such as Prozac or Celexa, as Baxter mentioned. No one can predict how you will react. With your nervous system destabilization, adding any kind of antidepressant may make your symptoms worse.

Tom, you just posted a question about reinstating Effexor.

Looking back on your topic, it seems you've sampled this and it didn't help.

How is your sleep? Has the early morning anxiety changed at all?

Alto, I tried 37.5 mg for a couple of days at best. This time, I was thinking of something much smaller. Something like 20%-30% of that. Something to help get me more stable, though I'm still not planning on it at this point. My sleep is still messed up, sometimes better, sometimes worse. Lately worse. The morning anxiety has improved, but is still there to a degree.

I am so sorry that you are suffering. I don't think there is any scientific documentation as to reinstatement. My understanding is that reinstatement may or may not fully relieve withdrawal symptoms and is very individual.

I can understand that quality of life is the issue. As far as benzos are concerned, it is my experience that there is no such thing as a "low dose" of benzos. Benzos might offer substantial relief if your symptoms consist of anxiety, but should not be prescribed for more than 2-4 weeks. For some people, the withdrawal from benzos is horrific. I have been stuck on benzos for going on 12 years. Although I did everything "wrong" with my taper, I became 100% dysfunctional.

I was very frightened to reinstate Klonopin, but it came down to life or death. Many Hugs, Annej

Annej, The reason I was thinking a benzo is because a) I've had sleep problems since going off the meds. B) The anxiety component. c) A bruxism, tmj thing. Benzos seem to be good for that, as evidenced by Barbara on this forum. I'm not saying it's by any means a good solution, I'm just weighing options. I'm sorry you've been stuck on them. I was stuck on Effexor for a long time, and I know it sucks.

Tom, does your pdoc know anything about withdrawal syndrome?

If you have to go back on something to live a decent life, you might want to look into an SSRI instead of Effexor, which is an SNRI and notoriously HORRIBLE to wean off. Also, remember, less is more! Try a low dose before you blast off to "therapeutic dose" on any drug. Don't forget all the transient side effects that occur when you start up again...

Baxter, I don't have a Pdoc at the moment. I had an adverse reaction to every just about every SSRI out there. For some reason that wasn't the case with Effexor though. The only SSRI I think I never tried was Celexa, but I did try its cousin Lexapro and had horrible anxiety from it.

Tom, how long do you expect a low dose would relieve your anxiety? And what do you consider to be a low dose.. a low number i.e. 1 mg Xanax is not the same as a low dose as it's equivalent to 20 mgs of diazepam, nor does a low dose of any benzo mean a pass on addiction. ~S (who has been on a 24 month benzo taper).

I know a benzo is not the ideal option, but the question is what is, lol.

Hi Tom,

I apologize for not reading your intro/history, but I have a question.

May I ask what were the reason(s) you tapered off of Effexor?

And I want to reassure you that it does not sound "crazy" to ask questions about going back on an anti-depressant nor does it sound "crazy" to think about a benzo.

Suffering is suffering.

My wish for you, for all of us who suffer, is that you find "livable" options, whatever those may be, that give you back your quality of life.

Many Hugs, Annej

Ok, I didn't like being stuck on it for so long. I was worried about it doing something to my health. Of course, I had no idea what going off of it would end up doing. I didn't like the side-effects. The main one that bothered me was Bruxism/TMJ, which has ended up coming back anyway, but in a somewhat different form. And the other was constipation. As it turns out though, after going off the meds, I discovered that yogurt constipates me, and I was eating that everyday when I was on them. So there doesn't seem to be much point in me tapering off of it, afterall. Pretty sad, lol.

Tom, see your Intro topic at http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1269-hello-from-tom-off-effexor

You tried this and it didn't seem to work.

Your anxiety etc. is due to neurological instability brought on by too-fast tapering off Effexor. If at this point reinstating a low dose of Effexor can compensate for Effexor withdrawal, I believe you would have felt some relief when you experimented with this before.

My guess is it is too late for you to reinstate Effexor.

Some people with withdrawal syndrome feel better after going back on an antidepressant such as Prozac or Celexa, as Baxter mentioned. No one can predict how you will react. With your nervous system destabilization, adding any kind of antidepressant may make your symptoms worse.

I only gave it two days. And this time, I was thinking of a much smaller dose. Anyway, I think you are right, it's probably too late. The best thing would probably be to hold tight. I've already experienced improvement in some areas, so I might as well try and be patient and get more improvements as time goes on. Sometimes you feel like you can't take it anymore though, like it's ruining too much.

Hi Tom....

Thank your for posting the link on anxiety. Very helpful. I have never taken Effexor, although I have been through WD several times. Getting off Effexor is huge. I do understand questioning whether or not you should take a little now to see if it helps.

WD or in your case, Protracted WD is very rough.

You can only try and see what happens. Is there something else you may be able to take in a small dose to help you out?

Believe me Tom I have decreased 2 mgs. in the last five weeks and the first place my mind goes is what can I take to help me. You are not alone.

I believe totally in Protracted WD, although I have trouble with myself understanding if I just have anxiety/depression. The line blurs big time for me, mostly likely because of the drugs.......stinks doesn't it...

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Tom,

Your post caught my eye because I used to be on Effexor long ago and did my own taper and discontinuation when I did not receive support from my psychiatrist at the time who felt I should stay on it. I did get off of it successfully and was drug-free for quite awhile before some stressful life events came up and I began taking Celexa to deal with it, which I just recently tapered and discontinued.

I also have suffered lifelong anxiety issues. I was reading in a book last night I have "The 10 Best Ever Anxiety Management Techniques" (by Margaret Wehrenberg) and in one chapter the author addressed medication. She saw medication as kind of a band-aid fix that can help but does not give us the skills that can help us permanently lessen and deal with the problems. The book gives a lot of good techniques but she stresses they take persistence and practice until they become a habit for our mind, but that if we can form these good mental habits we are empowered to have the same benefits as the medication originally gave us, except without side effects and then the looming shadows of withdrawal or medication tolerance that causes it to stop being as effective.

I found this gave me a lot of hope. That book and 'The Feeling Good Handbook" by Dr. David Burns have been helping me a lot to feel like I can take action and take control again.

You're not alone and things can get better. It's never too late and never hopeless.

Self-tapered off Effexor after being on for 9 years around 2001

Medication-free until 2006

In 2006 went through divorce and placed on Celexa 20 mg and p.r.n. clonazepam

Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)

Began to plan to come off in spring/summer 2012, continuing 10 mg Jan/Feb.

Tapered to 5 mg March/April (about 1 week mild withdrawal symptoms).

Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)

May 18, 2012: Stopped Celexa.

July 5, 2012: Reinstated Celexa at 5 mg.

July 13, 2012: Increased Celexa to 10 mg.

August 30, 2012: Increased Celexa 15 mg.

• Administrator

Tom, have you done anything to reduce the morning anxiety?

Minimizing morning light helps a lot of people.

It's a good sign the morning anxiety has lessened, this indicates your nervous system is healing.

No one can say if a little Effexor or a little Prozac or Celexa will help you. Effexor increases norepinephrine, an activating hormone, and is more likely to cause anxiety and disturbed sleep than the others, but you might have a bad reaction to any of them.

(If you're reading this site on a mobile phone, you may find you get more out of it if you read it on a computer.)

• Administrator

Tom, I merged your 2 topics as the new one is very particular to your situation.

Tom,

As I'm sure you already know, efexor is a nighmare to go on and taper off. I'm not a doctor, but my gut tells me this will make you worse. Have you tried melatonin drops in strong decaf chamomile tea???

Also I keep rereading the article posted on lets tall anxiety thread. Very helpful. And dr. Claire WEekes books???

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!