SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Morgane Tapered Off Invega

Morgane

After taking the antipsychotic Invega for about two years, I finally decided at the beginning of last year that I wanted to stop taking the medecin. Looking for other people's experiences on the internet, I was guided to this website for which I am very grateful. With the loving support of my psychiatrist, I switched from Invega 3 mg to Risperdal liquid 2 ml.

I also decided not to take any supplements because I didn't want any new chemical substances to interfere with the process of tapering off. I tapered off by 10% every two weeks and observed my body's reaction. Overall this was a steady pace my body was happy to handle. About two months ago, I finally managed to stop taking Risperdal.

Looking back, it is very important to be mentally strong to taper off because you may not always get the necessary support and to listen to your body and let it guide you through the process and not wanting to rush things.

But this, of course, you already all know and therefore I would like to thank you all for creating this website and putting your heart into it.

Then there was still the sleeping pill Lorametazepam I was taking, varying from 1 mg to 2 mg. I had already tried several herbal sleeping aids but without any result. I was talking about this to a lady shaman and she told me that I should take the tincture and not the pills because they are also full of chemical substances. She said that my power plant was Lavender and since a few weeks now I take two teaspoons of Lavender tincture in a glass of water and I haven't touched the benzo since. I

In August 2012 I was hospitalised after going through a psychosis. I used to wander around in the hospital in order to cope with everything that went on in my mind. At one point I had a complete black-out and the psychiatrist on duty gave me two injections with clopixal 50 mg, dehydrobenzperidol 5 mg and tranxène 50 mg. I was completely off the world for a whole weekend. After I woke up he prescribed me Invega 6 mg which I used to flush through the toilet. After two weeks I could leave the hospital and over a period of about 4 months I felt more and more terrible up to the point where it felt as if my mind was shutting down and I started losing all coordination. At the end of December I finally decided to be hospitalised again and I was given Invega 3 mg and Lorametazepam 2 mg at my own request. I used to break the Lorametazepam in half just to get me through the night. In May 2013 I tried to stop taking the Invega but I couldn’t cope. It wasn’t until July/August 2015 when I felt both physically and mentally strong enough that I decided to taper off the Invega. As recommended on this website I switched from Invega 3 mg to Risperdal 2 ml. I tapered off by 10% every 2 to 3 weeks. Towards the end I tapered off by 10% every other week when only a few drops were left. In April 2016 I took my last drop of Risperdal. In general I didn’t have any problem falling asleep but it was only for 2 to 4 hours. So I took the Lorametazepam ranging from 0,5 to 1 mg to help me sleep the rest of the night. In July I started taking Lavender tincture to replace the Lorametazepam and it worked out fine but I am sad to say that I take the Lorametazepam again when my mind is very overactive.

have you noticed any persistent side effects that have stuck around since your time on invega, (if you even had any in the first place)?  do you think 2 months off is enough time to feel confident you are through any repercussions of tapering?

congratulations on the successful taper!

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Morgane - welcome to SA!

This is indeed good news!  I have someone dear to me who just started the Invega, and I'm concerned because not many people here have successfully gotten off the Invega.

As I told you in private message, I've moved your topic to Introductions, since it is a little hasty to put you in Success Stories just yet.  Sometimes this is a longer process than just a few months.  I hope you are one of the lucky ones.

Please, Please Put Your WIthdrawal History Into your Signature  including dates you were on, and dates and duration of taper.  Especially include the date of your last dose.

So have you quit the Lormetazepam?  Or have you continued to use it intermittently? 

Please also put this in your signature.  

What kind of symptoms did you have during your withdrawal?  Was it fairly smooth?  

We'd also love to hear any Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms you have been using to help you!

Again, welcome, and it's such a delight to hear good news coming off of one of these drugs!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

Welcome, Morgane.

Thank you for letting us know this went well for you. How are you feeling now?

It's unusual for anyone to get "loving support" from a psychiatrist. Can you recommend this person here Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics ?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

have you noticed any persistent side effects that have stuck around since your time on invega, (if you even had any in the first place)?  do you think 2 months off is enough time to feel confident you are through any repercussions of tapering?

congratulations on the successful taper!

Thank you!

I sometimes felt nauseous and had stomach pain so I always thought that it was from the tapering but shortly after I had stopped the risperdal I felt so bad that I was considering an endoscopy and asked my psychiatrist if she could put me on sick leave for a while. I started to take care of myself because I noticed that I was hardly eating and was being very picky (slumbeing thoughts in my mind) and after a while the nausea and stomach pain stopped. Now I know that it is also linked to work.

Well, your question tells me not to be overenthusiastic and to pay attention to whatever may arise.  

In August 2012 I was hospitalised after going through a psychosis. I used to wander around in the hospital in order to cope with everything that went on in my mind. At one point I had a complete black-out and the psychiatrist on duty gave me two injections with clopixal 50 mg, dehydrobenzperidol 5 mg and tranxène 50 mg. I was completely off the world for a whole weekend. After I woke up he prescribed me Invega 6 mg which I used to flush through the toilet. After two weeks I could leave the hospital and over a period of about 4 months I felt more and more terrible up to the point where it felt as if my mind was shutting down and I started losing all coordination. At the end of December I finally decided to be hospitalised again and I was given Invega 3 mg and Lorametazepam 2 mg at my own request. I used to break the Lorametazepam in half just to get me through the night. In May 2013 I tried to stop taking the Invega but I couldn’t cope. It wasn’t until July/August 2015 when I felt both physically and mentally strong enough that I decided to taper off the Invega. As recommended on this website I switched from Invega 3 mg to Risperdal 2 ml. I tapered off by 10% every 2 to 3 weeks. Towards the end I tapered off by 10% every other week when only a few drops were left. In April 2016 I took my last drop of Risperdal. In general I didn’t have any problem falling asleep but it was only for 2 to 4 hours. So I took the Lorametazepam ranging from 0,5 to 1 mg to help me sleep the rest of the night. In July I started taking Lavender tincture to replace the Lorametazepam and it worked out fine but I am sad to say that I take the Lorametazepam again when my mind is very overactive.

Hey Morgane - welcome to SA!

This is indeed good news!  I have someone dear to me who just started the Invega, and I'm concerned because not many people here have successfully gotten off the Invega.

As I told you in private message, I've moved your topic to Introductions, since it is a little hasty to put you in Success Stories just yet.  Sometimes this is a longer process than just a few months.  I hope you are one of the lucky ones.

Please, Please Put Your WIthdrawal History Into your Signature  including dates you were on, and dates and duration of taper.  Especially include the date of your last dose.

So have you quit the Lormetazepam?  Or have you continued to use it intermittently? 

Please also put this in your signature.  

What kind of symptoms did you have during your withdrawal?  Was it fairly smooth?  

We'd also love to hear any Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms you have been using to help you!

Again, welcome, and it's such a delight to hear good news coming off of one of these drugs!

Thank you!

I must admit that I was very fearful of switching from invega to risperdal liquid with everthing that I read about risperdal but now looking back at it I am glad that I did. And I also bear in mind that 

I was taking the lowest dose of invega being 3 mg.

Okay, I will but give me some time to go back in time again because my memory is not what it used to be since the last psychosis when it felt like my brain was completely shutting down and I didn't keep 

a note book.

Until now I have been able to quit the lorametazepam. I must admit that I was temped last weekend but I didn't give in. 

I hardly had any symptoms except the nausea and stomach ache.

Welcome, Morgane.

It's unusual for anyone to get "loving support" from a psychiatrist. Can you recommend this person here Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics ?

Thank you!

Right now I am feeling good. It's as if I am finding myself back again.

She's a very loving and caring lady and she wants to help her patients in whatever way she can. Yes, I will recommend her. I live in Belgium.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Morgane.

Thank you!

Right now I am feeling good. It's as if I am finding myself back again.

She's a very loving and caring lady and she wants to help her patients in whatever way she can. Yes, I will recommend her. I live in Belgium.

Last night I asked my psychiatrist if she wouldn't mind recommending her but she said that she really doesn't have the time to help outpatients nor the experience to help people tapering off. So I respect her wish.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Morgane, if you are still struggling with the lorametazepam - may I suggest our Members Only Benzo Forum ?

Over there, a wise-woman named Wellness, who has taken the benzo journey herself, can guide you through the tricky maze that is benzos.  They are double dangerous because they feel good (at first) and they are super addictive.  She will help you get off using harm reduction which is just a way of saying "minimize symptoms of withdrawal."

Lavender tincture - I've never taken lavender internally!  I saw that Kalms has a lavender oil gel-cap, and I am intrigued.

Does it just soothe your nerves?  Actually make you sleepy?  Help you stay asleep?

What about other non-drug techniques?  Do you meditate?  Do exercise?  Walk?  Sing, dance, write, play?

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hey Morgane, if you are still struggling with the lorametazepam - may I suggest our Members Only Benzo Forum ?

Over there, a wise-woman named Wellness, who has taken the benzo journey herself, can guide you through the tricky maze that is benzos.  They are double dangerous because they feel good (at first) and they are super addictive.  She will help you get off using harm reduction which is just a way of saying "minimize symptoms of withdrawal."

Lavender tincture - I've never taken lavender internally!  I saw that Kalms has a lavender oil gel-cap, and I am intrigued.

Does it just soothe your nerves?  Actually make you sleepy?  Help you stay asleep?

What about other non-drug techniques?  Do you meditate?  Do exercise?  Walk?  Sing, dance, write, play?

I hope you see the sun today!

Thank you for the suggestion, JanCarol. I will introduce myself at the benzo forum.

I buy Lavender tincture from Neal's Yard in England. When I first used it, I had a fairly good night's rest for about two weeks. Then my mind started to become overactive again and I had to take a Lorametazepam to switch off the lights. 

I meditate when I walk, clean, work in the garden... I did read and study a lot but now I feel that I am done reading. I do love music but it's not the kind of music anymore I love to sing and dance to. I do, however, love to hear the panflute. I once asked a man from Peru if he could teach me but it never came of it.

The sun is out!

**moved from Piglet's introduction topic

Piglet,

I saw your post in the nugget benzo thread.

to make a liquid solution, you need to drop your tablet into an exact quantity of liquid and take a measured amount from it.

For example, if you drop 1 mg Ativan in exactly 100 mL of homogenized milk and let the Ativan dissolve, then each milliliter of milk-Ativan solution would have 0.01 mg of Ativan in it.

There are three steps.

1. Measure an exact amount of milk, (almond milk, soy milk) using syringes, a kitchen scale, or a measuring cylinder.  Transfer the liquid to a small jar. For example, you could use 100 milliliters.
2. Drop a 1 mg  Ativan tablet in the 100 mL of  liquid (in the jar).  Let the tablet dissolve by waiting 15 minutes, swirl the jar, place the lid, and give it a shake.
3. Using a syringe, take your dose.   For example, if you wanted to dose 0.70 mg of Ativan, you would either take 70 mLs of the solution, or toss 30 mLs of your solution and drink the rest.

If you seach for "liquid titration" on YouTube there are several videos, here is the link to a random one:

Wellness,

I would like to taper off Lorametazepam 0,5 to 1 mg. I do fall asleep but it usually is for about 2 to 4 hours. So I mostly take 0,5 mg of Lorametazepam to get me through the rest of the night. When I take 1 mg
I feel dull in the morning. If you manage to taper off, does your sleeping pattern return to normal over time? Is it recommend to switch to another benzo to taper off?

Thanks!