alex1979: Looking for hope to recover

alex1979

Hi,

Im a desperate pssd sufferer, and i am just looking for some hope.

Has anyone recovered from sexual dusfunction after ssri use. If so, how long did it take?

Thank you much.

Alex

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Alex,

We have a thread here you could look through:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/52-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd/

Are you still on anti-depressants, or trying to withdraw?  If you give details of what is happening for you we may be able to offer some information/suggestions. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi,

Im a desperate pssd sufferer, and i am just looking for some hope.

Has anyone recovered from sexual dusfunction after ssri use. If so, how long did it take?

Thank you much.

Alex

My PSSD has continued for more than 3 months after ceasing ssri use. Immediately after getting off, I had the most amazing sex drive even more so than I used to have before starting meds. I was horny most days. Unfortunately, with time, it became worse. I'm on another medication now, Lamictal, but that does not have any effect on sex drive so I'm still suffering. 

2009-2014= Paxil CR 12.5mg increased to 25 then 50mg. // Late 2014= reduced to 25mg then switched to regular Paxil 20mg.

July 2015= 10mg // Aug 2015= 5mg // Sep 26, 2015= Paxil free // Oct 2015= minimal WD- glimpse of pre-Paxil self // Nov 2015= WD hit HARD. Increased anxiety, irritability, depression, extreme confusion, concentration problems, intolerance to stress. // Dec 2015= reinstated 5mg // Jan 2016= switched to Prozac 20mg every other day. // Feb 2016= Prozac 20mg every third day // Mar 2016= Prozac free // April 2016= WD symptoms started gradually (anger, anxiety, memory problems). Started taking Lamictal 25mg.  

• 3 months later...

I am in the same boat looking for hope that there is recovery from this horrible condition.

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).