Sign in to follow this  
FeralUrban

Study on Tapering SSRI's with OCD and Anxiety Disorder

FeralUrban

Butler Hospital, in association with Brown University in Providence, RI are doing research on a 20 week taper comparing two different taper methods. Is this unusual? Considering the paucity of information from pharma and/or scientific research on tapering I was astonished to see this being done. I've put in a call. The research head is on vacation for week, so I'll need to wait to hear back. I probably won't be eligible as my anxiety is PTSD based,  not PD, SAD or GAD! 

TAPS Tapering Anxiety Pharmacotherapy Support Study

What is the Purpose of the TAPS Study?

The TAPS Study evaluates two supportive programs designed to help individuals with panic disorder (PD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) safely come off long-term medication frequently prescribed for these disorders.

In this study we focus on one type of medication, serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs), which include: Anafranil (clomipramine), Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Lexapro (escitalopram), Celexa (citalopram), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Zoloft (sertraline), Effexor (venlafaxine), and Cymbalta (duloxetine).

TOPS Tapering OCD Pharmacotherapy Support Study

What is the Purpose of the TOPS Study?

The TOPS Study evaluates two supportive programs designed to help individuals with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) symptoms safely come off long-term medication frequently prescribed for OCD.

In this study we focus on one type of medication, serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs), which include: Anafranil (clomipramine), Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Lexapro (escitalopram), Celexa (citalopram), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Zoloft (sertraline), Effexor (venlafaxine), and Cymbalta (duloxetine).

Altostrata

Yes, it is unusual. Thanks very much for alerting us. Please post in this topic when you learn more about the study.

FeralUrban

I will let you all know what I find out. 

Altostrata

The problem with these studies is that they are rarely designed to identify withdrawal symptoms. Instead, they use depression measurement questionnaires, which causes adverse reactions to be diagnosed as a relapse or emergence of depression.

Can you find the name and e-mail address of the psychiatrists who are heading this study?

FeralUrban

Christin Boisseau, PhD

Affiliated with Butler Hospital and Brown University

No email that I have.

I have the phone number for the study: 401-455-6243.

She is away on vacation this week. 

nz11

Great find thanks for posting.

FeralUrban

Oops -- Christina Boisseau

From a pubmed search it appears her expertise is OCD and eating disorders.

Hopefull

Hi FeralUrban,

Is this study only for UK residents?

Can you participate if you are not a UK resident? Thank you for posting this article. Hopefull.

FeralUrban

It is in Providence, RI, USA. I'm fairly certain that you would need to be local, but I am uncertain. Give them a call?

FeralUrban

I just spoke with Christina Boisseau, the research director. This is what I learned.

It is an NIH funded study and the results will be on PubMed next year sometime, perhaps 12 months from now. Since it is a double blinded study she has no idea yet what the results may be. 

​The two groups both receive weekly taper management meetings with psychiatrists.

One group also receives training emotional management to deal with re-emerging symptoms of OCD in the TOPS study and Anxiety in the TAPS study.

They are working with OCD and Anxiety Disorder patients on any SSRI or SNRI.

They will be comparing the data from various medications, say Prozac vs. Effexor. 

They are monitoring withdrawal symptoms as well as re-emerging disorder symptoms. 

I thanked her for doing the study and let her know that withdrawal is a huge problem for a large number of people and I mentioned the surviving antidepressants website. 

I asked her for a referral to a doctor who could help me withdraw. She had no specific recommendation. That was a bit disappointing, but expected.

peng

Good posts, and very "together", FeralUrban.

Clearly, when you are on a mission you seem to be strong and thriving.  Wishing you more of it.

Warm regards!