LongRoadtoFreedom - Effexor capsules

LongRoadtoFreedom

Reducing Effexor capsules

Edited by scallywag
tags added

2000 – 24 years old, put onto Cipramil (citalopram) after having a mild panic attack

2004 – after major jaw surgery – started Paxil

2005-2006 (anger reactions bothered me so much) switched back to Cipramil 2006-2007

Ciprimal stopped working around 2010 and I was put onto Cymbalta

2012 - Went to psychiatrist and decided to switch to Prozac which worked well

2013 – weaned off Prozac from March to June and stopped completely in July 2013

December 2013 – Back to Prozac but it didnt work

2014 – started Cymbalta again. Very high anxiety on it

December 2014 – switched from Cymbalta to Lexapro.

2015 – Lexapro, Mianserin

2016 –  started on Effexor (75 then 150 then 225) around February-March.

2016  - June and July (reduced to 187.5 then 150 then 112.5) 31 July, 2016 I pushed it back to 150mg. 

Hi all

I read the info on reducing cymbalta which I have been on in the past too. I got so frustrated with the taper that I eventually got my doctor to agree to give me lexapro and switched straight to that. It was ok but eventually the lexapro stopped working. Anyhow, I am now on 150mg of Effexor and - as you know - it's capsule and slow release- lowest dose here is australia is 37.5mg. So hard to reduce. Do you know if I can create my own doses using a scale or other method rather than paying a fortune to get them compounded? Thanks a lot.

2000 – 24 years old, put onto Cipramil (citalopram) after having a mild panic attack

2005-2006 (anger reactions bothered me so much) switched back to Cipramil 2006-2007

2016  - June and July (reduced to 187.5 then 150 then 112.5) 31 July, 2016 I pushed it back to 150mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LRTF,

Welcome to SA.  Each member has their own topic so I've moved your posts from razzlesf's topic and created your own Intro/Update topic, where you can ask questions related to your own situation and journal your progress.  Click Follow (top right) and you will be notified when someone responds.

It's good that you have found SA and there is lots of excellent information on this site and the members are very supportive.

It will be helpful if your would complete your signature which will appear whenever you post.  Instructions here Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Please include ALL drugs, dates, doses and how you reduced/increased for the last year.  Longer than 1 year ago can be a brief history so we know your background.  It's also a suggested that you keep your signature up to date as you change doses so that it remains current and can be seen at a glance.

Here is some information which you can read and then ask any questions you have:

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

I found these helpful in understanding why a slow taper is recommended by SA:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

CC

Edited by ChessieCat
updated signature link

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi LRTF,

I am on a higher dose of effexor, by the way (212.5mg).

Here in the UK, the 37.5mg venlafaxine capsule has 3 x 12.5mg tablets inside it.  The tablets look like the old saccharin tablets, so are easy to remove.

They are a brand now on prescription here at my UK health centre and are by Bluefish pharmaceuticals of Sweden.

I have used the counting beads method before to reduce the dose.  Tedious but determination will keep you at it.  I counted that there are 270 beads in a 75mg capsule, but the experienced folks on here will tell you that the number varies!

Remember to reduce only by 10% or less of the current dose each time, preferably after about month.

Don't be overambitious and too fast - it will mostly end in a bad time.

Experts on here will give you links to the best methods/info on here, later.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Thanks guys really appreciate it. My history is so long I can hardly remember all of it myself. Having a tough time last few days after reducing by 37.5 - I also am divorced and have 3 kids on my own half of each weekend. Plus didn't get great sleep last night. I'm ok but not feeling happy. Unsure if I should push back to the 150mg for a while or stay at the 75 + 37.5 capsules and see if I can be ok. Then on my taper by 10% next month? Any advice please?

I will update the signature tonight.

Thanks again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LRTF

So that suggestions can be made for your individual situation we need to know further details.

What dose of Lexapro were you on, when and how did you go off it/switch to Effexor?

What dose of Effexor did you start on and when?  Was your dose increased?

When did you change your dose of Effexor from 150 mg to 112.5 mg (ie 75 + 37.5)?

What are your current symptoms since going to 112.5 mg and are they different from when you were on 150 mg?

Are you taking any other drugs?

These links might be helpful (in your case it would be updosing, instead of reinstating):

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

Are you able to live with the symptoms you are currently experiencing?  Check out the above links.  Hopefully they will help you make a decision of what to do.  The idea of reinstating/updosing and tapering is to try to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum so you can go about your life as normally as possible.

When tapering, it is a good idea to throw out the calendar and listen to your body.  My suggestion would be to hold for at least 2 months before even considering starting a 10% taper to give your brain a chance to adjust to not getting as much of the drug.

Another couple of links you might find helpful:

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

What is Happening in Your Brain

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you! Actually I had been put onto some tri cyclics after the Lexapro stopped working around August last year. I had a very high period of stress and anxiety changing jobs. The psychiatrist I saw told me because I had been on many of the other anti depressants I would be better on mianserin - a tri cyclic - it was a nightmare. I eventually went back to my old psychiatrist and we started on a dose of 75mg Effexor. This was around February this year. Then we increased to 150 and then 225. At 225 I wasn't sleeping and have some bad jerking reactions so I reduced to 180 for about a month and then to 150 about 3 weeks later. I only lowered the dose to 115 about 10 days ago. At the moment I am coping with the changes. The main one just being not feeling happy and some low level anxiety. I want to try and maintain this dose. I agree with you completely that it's about listening to the body.

I will write more tonight about the situation and supplements I am taking which I have been taking consistently for a long time.

Thank you so much for your support again. I am going to have a good read of all the links.

• Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome.

What I have gleaned from your last post is this:

--> August 2015     Lexapro

August 2015    Mianserin

Feb 2016          75 mg Effexor, increased to 150 mg, increased to 225 mg

Working backwards I estimate the dates as follows:

1 June 16         180 mg Effexor (for 4 weeks)

29 June 16        150 mg Effexor (for 3 weeks)

20 July 16         112.5 mg - being precise here as per post #5 (10 days)

It's good to see that you held for the 4 and 3 weeks respectively when dropping from 180 mg.  Was this your doctor's suggestion?

Some people find Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil helpful.  If starting any new supplements it is suggested that you start with a low dose and increase it slowly.  Some people find Vitamin B6 and caffeine activating.  Edit - alcohol is not recommended.

Be aware of the Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization and Neuro Emotions

Learning non-drug coping techniques can help with anxiety.  For instance:  Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System and Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Hi ChessieCat

Yes that's about right what you have put in with the dates. I'm struggling in the mornings the most with feeling anxious and a little depressed. Really wondering if I can cope with this right now especially given I have started a new job. The only thing is that when I was on 150mg I was doing well. Feeling good but also at times couldn't sleep. This could last for a few days of only getting a 3-4 hours and then I would crash. So I dropped to the 112.5mg and almost immediately I could sleep and felt tired as I should after a long day. But then the depressed feelings and thoughts returned and the anxiety too. Should I just push it back to 150 and then look at the more gradual 10% reduction by getting the Effexor compounded to smaller doses?

Thanks so much. I have been on anti-depressants for over 15 years now. And it has been hell as so many of you know. There have been times when I was on ciprimal and I was down to that tiny last dose and I stopped it and it was a disaster. I was successful in 2013 in coming off completely using Prozac. I was off for 6 months and it was amazing. Then I had a relationship breakup and a new job and it was too much. So have been back on various anti depressants since Jan 2013. I will try and remember what and put it in my signature.

Anyhow, if you could advise what you think the best option right now is. I seemed to be doing well on the 150 but then I felt a bit hyper and as I said couldn't sleep at times leading to exhaustion. But feeling this anxiety and depressed feeling now is worse.

• Moderator Emeritus

LongRoad

Would you take a few minutes and upate your signature with the drugs, doses and dates that ChessieCat posted above in post #8?

How to create a signature:

1. Click on your username (in the black bar that appears at the top of every page).
    Result: A menu of user options appears.

2. Click on the option "My Settings"
    Result: A new page appears in your browser with the title "My Settings" On the left side of the page there's a vertical menu:
    My Profile
    Email and password
    Signature
    'Ignore' preferences

... others

3. Click on Signature.

4. Enter the text for your signature in the Edit Signature box, which looks like the box that appears when you create a post.

5. Click "Save changes."

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks. Will do that now.

Hi LRTF

So that suggestions can be made for your individual situation we need to know further details.

What dose of Lexapro were you on, when and how did you go off it/switch to Effexor?

What dose of Effexor did you start on and when?  Was your dose increased?

When did you change your dose of Effexor from 150 mg to 112.5 mg (ie 75 + 37.5)?

What are your current symptoms since going to 112.5 mg and are they different from when you were on 150 mg?

Are you taking any other drugs?

These links might be helpful (in your case it would be updosing, instead of reinstating):

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

Are you able to live with the symptoms you are currently experiencing?  Check out the above links.  Hopefully they will help you make a decision of what to do.  The idea of reinstating/updosing and tapering is to try to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum so you can go about your life as normally as possible.

When tapering, it is a good idea to throw out the calendar and listen to your body.  My suggestion would be to hold for at least 2 months before even considering starting a 10% taper to give your brain a chance to adjust to not getting as much of the drug.

Another couple of links you might find helpful:

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

What is Happening in Your Brain

Hi ChessieCat

I have now updated my signature, I hope this helps with some of the questions you have raised. 

My only symptoms from the drop from 150mg to 112.5 were starting to feel anxious in the mornings again and some depressive thoughts and feelings coming back

As I have just started a new job and its a big and important change for me I didnt want to mess with this and so today pushed back to 150mg.

Thanks so much for your support. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LRTF,

Good job of the signature.

I can understand your decision to updose, especially with your new job (congratulations too!).  I updosed after I Googled and found SA when I started suffering withdrawal symptoms and after holding commenced tapering.

You may feel some relief within the first day but it will take 4 days for the drug to reach a steady state in the blood.  It is a good idea to write your symptoms down so you have a record.  I hope your sleep issues don't return.

Please post how you are going, both good and "bad" (hopefully lots more good than not so good!!!)

Hi ChessieCat

I'm struggling today. Didn't go to work - for various reasons but it's the l second day back at 150mg and I couldn't rest or sleep at all. I felt wired all day. So now I'm wondering if I should go back to the 112.5? Or just try the 150 again. I'm also worried about the no sleep thing. Feel very stuck.

Thanks for your kind words.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LRTF,

I can understand your concern about ending up with the sleep issues again.  If you go back down to 112.5 will most probably end up feeling the same as you did before updosing.

Have you considered trying to get a dose somewhere between the 150 and the 112.5.  This is from Tips for Tapering Effexor Extended-release (Effexor XR) capsules: Open and count out beads (Control + F and type in to find on the page - there is additional information).

If you do decide to take some beads out, try and make each dose as consist as you can.  Maybe try taking out 1/4 the beads from a 75 mg capsule.  That would give you a dose of approximately 132 mg.  Or take out 1/3 which would be about 125 mg.

I hope that helps give you an idea of what to do.

LRTF

(Me on Effexor: 2002 - to date.)

As experienced mod ChessieCat implies, I believe your dose changes are too fast and for too short a time.

A bit of a roller-coaster for your body and mind to handle.

Aim for some stability - a platform - for your period of transition with new job and all.

Stick at 150, or taper as suggested by ChessieCat.

I am still on a lot of Effexor (212.5mg), but before a setback due to life event, I had years stability and ability to work 2002-2013.

Best wishes

It's still survivable for you with a steady dose/taper!  

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Hi guys

Just wanted to update

After a few days trying the 150mg it was a nightmare.... I decided the best was actually to stay on the 112.5mg because it seemed to be that my brain was actually saying don't you dare put me back up to that higher dose that I don't need. So I went through a few days of not getting out of bed and thank goodness I could take it as sick leave at work. Anyhow. 4 days later I am feeling fine again and still on the lower dose of 112.5mg. Very happy about that. What I will now do is maintain this dose for a while. Make sure things have stabilized and also get the Effexor compounded if not too expensive to doses so I can take the smaller drop next time. The advice I would say for sure for everyone is listen to your mind and body reaction. Trust your instincts. I knew that the 150mg was causing insomnia because I just didn't need such a high dose anymore as other stressors had improved but watch out for that withdrawal backlash. It lasted a few days but it came right. So glad I'm on the lower dose even though it was a much greater jump than recommend. Will keep you posted of progress. Thanks again for the awesome support.

Best wishes to you all.

LRTF

• Moderator Emeritus

LRTF - thanks for posting!  Glad to read that you've stabilized at 112.5 mg. :)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

LRTF

(Me on Effexor: 2002 - to date.)

As experienced mod ChessieCat implies, I believe your dose changes are too fast and for too short a time.

A bit of a roller-coaster for your body and mind to handle.

Aim for some stability - a platform - for your period of transition with new job and all.

Stick at 150, or taper as suggested by ChessieCat.

I am still on a lot of Effexor (212.5mg), but before a setback due to life event, I had years stability and ability to work 2002-2013.

Best wishes

It's still survivable for you with a steady dose/taper!

Thank you Peng. All best wishes to you too!

LRTF - thanks for posting! Glad to read that you've stabilized at 112.5 mg. :)

Thanks Scallywag. Yes now to hang in there for a month or two and get myself some smaller doses. Maybe play around with getting an electronic scale and seeing if I can make smaller ones myself because the compounding cost be loads last time.

All the best

LRTF

HI all

Seems like my friend insomnia is back. Well it's not complete insomnia but waking every few hours now. Just don't want to get into that horrible cycle of not getting a good couples of courses because it then builds up and I crash. Any ideas? Still going well at the 112.5mg which I'm really happy about - remembering I was on 225mg 5 or 6 months ago.

Thanks for your support.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LRTF,

I received your PM with questions about swapping to Prozac once you reach a low dose of Effexor.  It's commonly known as "Prozac Bridge".  For the reasons mentioned below I suggest you ask any questions in your Intro/Update topic:

• It will keep your history in one place
  • It will be available to all members
  • Your question can be responded to by any members
  • The person you PM may not be able to answer your question
  • The person you PM may not be available (an issue if your question is urgent)

Generally it is suggested to stick to the drug you are taking rather than risking a different drug.  Here is the link to Prozac Bridge

Thanks Chessie x