SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dani -- Zoloft Withdrawals?

Dani

I really, really need advice. I was put on Zoloft in Dec 2004 after experiencing Panic Attacks after I stopped taking the Ortho Evra birth control patch. I tried to stop taking Zoloft in October of 2010 but the withdrawals were bad (my heart kept pumping abnormally and skipping beats). It was at this time that I developed ringing in my ears. My doctor told me it was a reaction to the Zoloft and that I needed to get off so I wont develop permanent ringing. She told me to cut my pulls in half and it should be a piece of cake. Well, I decided that I was moving too fast and decided to take an extra month to stop help decrease any withdrawals. Overall, I decreased the pills over a 2 month period. After my last pill, I had dizziness, but I took cod liver oil which helped with the brain zaps. I was fine, but I guess my timing was not good. My mother became sick which made me feel semi depressed and anxious. I went away on vacation and experienced a little dizziness and some headaches, but overall, I was feeling pretty good, especially the last 2 weeks. I came back from vacation the end of July 2011 and a week later my aunt died. Anxiety overdrive!! I started having very bad tension headaches and body tremors. They subsided after about a week, but last week, the headaches started again and so did the body tremors. Could this be delayed withdrawal? It has been 6 months and I feel like I'm not sure how I will continue to deal with this never ending feelings of sadness, body tremors and headaches so bad that banging my head on a wall would probably give me relief. So far, I have changed my diet. No processed foods. I eat veggies, almonds and other nuts, potatoes, etc. I also try to do yoga or light walking. Please help! Thank you so much!

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Dani,

Im glad you found this site. It is an amazing group of people w FAR more knowledge and real world experience than any of the 'prominent' psychiatric researchers I worked with in academia for many years.

Im fairly new here myself so will only say that it does sound as if you've been hit by very stressful life events while your nervous system is readjusting to not having drug and feels as if it is more sensitive or shaky than ever (my description). Kind of like 'sea legs' that have become accustomed to walking a certain way and then are on solid ground again but feel more 'off' than before.

Ill stop w the analogies and let Alto or someone w more experience help you through.

Just wanted to say hi and tell you you've connected with some incredible people here.

Barb

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Hi, Dani. Good to see you posting here.

It sounds like you've had some relatively mild withdrawal symptoms until recently. As Bar said, your nervous system may have over-reacted to stress.

I got this myself, and it sent me into worse withdrawal symptoms.

What do these body tremors feel like? Are they in a particular part of your body?

How's your sleep? And your blood pressure?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Barb! I really hope that we can all learn from each other and get through these rough times

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Altostrata - Thank you for responding!

When I have body tremors, it almost feels like the tremors you get when you experience hyperglycemia or when when you are extremely cold. It usually starts when I have a major headache. The headache has only been on the top right side of my head. I'm not sure if the headache triggers the tremors or if I am so worried about how painful the headache is, I become stressed, triggering the tremors. My muscles usually start off with spasms, and then all hell breaks loose. They just spazz out into full force tremors. The tremors are in my feet, legs, torso and sometimes it feels like my brain is shaking in my skull. I asked my doctor about seeing a neurologist, and she seems to think that all my symptoms are anxiety related, and maybe I should start back on the pills. I politely told her "No thank you".

My hearing has become quite sensitive in the last week. My sight has been normal so far.

My sleep is "normal" for me. I usually get up 2 times every night, but I have been doing that for a long time.

My blood pressure (as of Friday Sept 23) was 115/78. It has been very stressful. I have a mother with congestive heart failure, unemployment, and a failed relationship. Not to mention, a death of a relative in August.

I just hope that I will be free of these symptoms soon :(

Dani, why was your doc opposed to a Neuro consult? I have an immediate negative reaction when a doc attributes symptoms to 'just anxiety'. I doubt this happens so often w men.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Seems like I have read before that it's not unusual to get worsened w/d symptoms after 3-6 months out...? I think that, given how "depression" seems to become recurrent once people take ADs (see Whitaker for more info on this) it must be fairly typical to experience worsening symptoms after a spell of feeling better.

I know that was the typical pattern for me when I was taking ADs and would quit them. The initial withdrawal went okay but after 3-6 months or so I would have a bad bout and that's when I'd restart the drugs. Interestingly, I hadn't thought about this part until reading this thread, it was often associated with some kind of increased stress.

I'd like to know what other people have heard or experienced along these lines.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Dani, have you tried fish oil? This could help with the head symptoms. Perhaps if they were reduced, that would stop the tremors as well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Dani, have you tried fish oil? This could help with the head symptoms. Perhaps if they were reduced, that would stop the tremors as well.

I take two teaspoons of Cod Liver oil every night before I go to bed.

Dani, why was your doc opposed to a Neuro consult? I have an immediate negative reaction when a doc attributes symptoms to 'just anxiety'. I doubt this happens so often w men.

I had an MRI done in Feb 2011 to find the cause of the ringing in my ears. My doctor feels that the exposure to radiation from a CT scan is not worth the risk. Hmm.

However, the funny thing is that I was just watching an episode of Dr. Oz and he said that doctors tend to treat women much differently than men.

@ Rhi -

I honestly do not want to return to taking Zoloft, but there are days when I feel like the complete pits. I do have hours where I feel like my old self, but when I start feeling horrible again, it gets very frustrating :(

I pray that there is a light at the end of this tunnel...

• Administrator

Dani, you've been off Zoloft since February?

It sounds to me like the palpitations and tinnitus last October were caused by withdrawal, not a side effect of Zoloft.

Waves of withdrawal symptoms are very common, and frustrating. At least you're having good periods and sleeping okay, these are good signs.

Sometimes people can take a small amount of the medication again to lessen withdrawal symptoms, stabilize for a few months, and then taper more slowly from there.

This doesn't always work, and sometimes it creates worse symptoms.

Is this something you'd like to try?

Dani, you've been off Zoloft since February?

It sounds to me like the palpitations and tinnitus last October were caused by withdrawal, not a side effect of Zoloft.

Waves of withdrawal symptoms are very common, and frustrating. At least you're having good periods and sleeping okay, these are good signs.

Sometimes people can take a small amount of the medication again to lessen withdrawal symptoms, stabilize for a few months, and then taper more slowly from there.

This doesn't always work, and sometimes it creates worse symptoms.

Is this something you'd like to try?

I tried to come off Zoloft in October 2010, but the palpitations were tremendous so I had to go back on Zoloft at that time. Yes, I believe the palpitations were apart of withdrawals back then. The tinnitus has calmed down somewhat since I stopped, but it is still there and can be very annoying at times. I have been off Zoloft since March 2011. I do have some good periods, but they don't last long.

I have considered going back on Zoloft again, but to be honest, I am VERY scared. I am scared that when it comes time to taper off of them again, I'll have to go through the awful withdrawals again. I am also scared that if I go back on Zoloft, I will feel worse than I do now. I just don't know what to do.

When I wake up in the morning, I actually feel okay (besides the tremors). But 2-3 hours after I wake up, I start having that sensation in the right side of my head and I start feeling dizzy and not myself. As I type this now, I can feel tension behind the right side of my ear, and my brain feels like its foggy and vibrating in my skull.

I have started seeing a therapist this week so I hope that helps - especially if (as my doctor thinks) I am having a relapse.

• Administrator

Yes, this is a very difficult situation when you have serious withdrawal symptoms for a long time.

It's typical that your doctor thinks you are having a relapse. Few are informed at all about withdrawal syndrome and those that are are misinformed that it lasts only a few weeks.

Your choices are to go back on a small amount of Zoloft (or Prozac) to see if that helps the withdrawal symptoms, with the plan to taper off very gradually, or do what you can to manage the symptoms without drugs.

We don't know of any way to cure withdrawal syndrome other than hair-of-the-dog. We have lots of suggestions about how to cope with the symptoms.

Your choices are to go back on a small amount of Zoloft (or Prozac) to see if that helps the withdrawal symptoms, with the plan to taper off very gradually, or do what you can to manage the symptoms without drugs.

We don't know of any way to cure withdrawal syndrome other than hair-of-the-dog. We have lots of suggestions about how to cope with the symptoms.

How did you recover/cope?

• Administrator

I'm still recovering and it's been hard to cope! But one foot in front of the other, day by day....

How long have you been off antidepressants? Do you feel like going back on them?

• Administrator

Seven years. I won't touch them again with mile-long pole. I'm hypersensitive to all neurologically active drugs now.

Once you've had a bad reaction and recovered, it's a good idea to stay away from them. The nervous system becomes sensitized.

This may be way off-base (disclaimer w anything I say!)... do you know if you grind or clench your teeth in sleep? I started (or became aware of) very bad bruxism shortly after starting Zoloft. I didn't connect the TMJ symptoms to Zoloft until much later. It caused clogged ears, ringing,head and neck pain, fog, balance probs. Had a tough time finding any doc who understood that the jaw is connected to neck and rest of body.

Symptoms were worst in morning, tho.

This may be way off-base (disclaimer w anything I say!)... do you know if you grind or clench your teeth in sleep? I started (or became aware of) very bad bruxism shortly after starting Zoloft. I didn't connect the TMJ symptoms to Zoloft until much later. It caused clogged ears, ringing,head and neck pain, fog, balance probs. Had a tough time finding any doc who understood that the jaw is connected to neck and rest of body.

Symptoms were worst in morning, tho.

I don't recall clenching my jaw/teeth while on Zoloft. I remember doing it when I first starting feeling my anxiety back in 2004

Yesterday, I can honestly say that I felt good....until about 6pm. Then it started: warm sensations in my head, internal body tremors, etc. So, I hurried and ate dinner and decided to relax and watch some TV. This lasted from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. At around 11pm, the symptoms returned but now my chest was hurting. It felt like I couldn't breathe...like a sharp pain was passing in my chest. I swore I was having a heart attack. My chest was bothering me so bad, and the heart palpitations started. Ultimately, I had a panic attack :(

It was awful.

It didn't help that I was reading about antidepressant withdrawals on another website which listed withdrawals symptoms and the heart complications were listed. I dunno. :(

I am at a standstill. I'm considering going back on the pills, but at the same time, I hope this passes. It's hard reading that people feel like this for YEARS after stopping antidepressants. How is it that people who use illegal drugs feel better in a matter of time, yet those on FDA approved meds feel terrible years and years later. It's just irresponsible.

• Administrator

People who've quit illegal drugs sometimes have long-term Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, too.

Dani, it's a very good sign you are having good windows. These tend to get longer and more frequent, while the bad times lessen in intensity.

Try to stay as calm as possible, reduce stress as much as you can in your life. Don't read about symptoms if it upsets you.

Dani, have you seen the cat mascot showing the stages? Sounds like you are on schedule.

I tend to do mental body scans (unintentionally) and the bad moments stick in my mind while the ok or good windows are taken for granted. I do have to limit what I read.

I suspect that, as a group, we are naturally more tuned in to how we feel.

PS. The illegal or legal known addictive substances are well documented and there is an entire medical community/specialty to help people get off of them (many psychiatrists, frighteningly). Absurd that heroin or crack addicts can find more support and understanding. This is a different ballgame b/c there is no obvious 'high' or drug-seeking behavior involved. Not to mention all of the political garbage.

Just for kicks, I called the Betty Ford Clinic awhile back and asked about SSRI detox. The perplexed reactions I got were slightly entertaining. Transfered around to about 5 clueless people. Someone finally took my number. Of course, I never heard back.

Dani, have you seen the cat mascot showing the stages? Sounds like you are on schedule.

No, I haven't. How/Where can I find it?

PS. The illegal or legal known addictive substances are well documented and there is an entire medical community/specialty to help people get off of them (many psychiatrists, frighteningly). Absurd that heroin or crack addicts can find more support and understanding. This is a different ballgame b/c there is no obvious 'high' or drug-seeking behavior involved. Not to mention all of the political garbage.

Just for kicks, I called the Betty Ford Clinic awhile back and asked about SSRI detox. The perplexed reactions I got were slightly entertaining. Transfered around to about 5 clueless people. Someone finally took my number. Of course, I never heard back.

That is quite alarming, but I am not surprised one bit. Just horrible.

I am glad we have each other though

People who've quit illegal drugs sometimes have long-term Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, too.

This true. I have a relative who was on illegal drugs for over 20 years. I think she has been clean for 5 years and she still has some issues :(

Thank you Alto!

Dani... after reading your thread, I honestly think you are closer to full recovery than you think. I realize that there are times when it gets really difficult for you, but you are more than half way there. Of course, we'll understand if you decide to go back on an AD, but I so hope you don't! Just keep taking one day at a time... you'll get there!

I still have 10mgs to go and altho I seldom use the word "never", nevertheless (hehe) I will NEVER go back on another AD!

I know you can do this!

Charter Member 2011

I second that, Summer!

Dani, I still have a long way to go. I DC'd Pristiq unsystematically after 18yrs on various SS/NRIs. Tried atypical antipsychotics (Zyprexa, Seroquel, Abilify, Risperdal) and Lamictal for 'treatment resistant/atypical depression', TCAs for pain. Still on Klonopin and trazodone at night. This is on top of opiates for several years (neck injury/chronic pain). Got off of those in 2008.

All this to say...I've put a ton of crap into my body over the years and still have a tough road ahead. I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm free and clear. Not by a very long shot.

You are going to be fine!

Dani... after reading your thread, I honestly think you are closer to full recovery than you think. I realize that there are times when it gets really difficult for you, but you are more than half way there. Of course, we'll understand if you decide to go back on an AD, but I so hope you don't! Just keep taking one day at a time... you'll get there!

I still have 10mgs to go and altho I seldom use the word "never", nevertheless (hehe) I will NEVER go back on another AD!

I know you can do this!

I am really trying to keep the faith...honestly. But it can be VERY challenging to say the least. Sheesh!! I am so glad that everyone here has been so supportive. I hope once you finish your taper that you "never" go back on AD!

Thank you for your kind words.

I second that, Summer!

Dani, I still have a long way to go. I DC'd Pristiq unsystematically after 18yrs on various SS/NRIs. Tried atypical antipsychotics (Zyprexa, Seroquel, Abilify, Risperdal) and Lamictal for 'treatment resistant/atypical depression', TCAs for pain. Still on Klonopin and trazodone at night. This is on top of opiates for several years (neck injury/chronic pain). Got off of those in 2008.

All this to say...I've put a ton of crap into my body over the years and still have a tough road ahead. I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm free and clear. Not by a very long shot.

You are going to be fine!

Thank you so much. You will be fine also :) I feel really terrible that we were never told anything about what will happen once we stop taking ADs. It is just so irresponsible. It makes me so angry!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone here take any over the counter pain medication? Like Tylenol? I'm wondering if I can take this for my headaches. I looked into some of the migraine pills, but most of them have caffeine, which I know I must avoid.

Dani,

I believe that ibuprofen was suggested here somewhere. Ill try to find it until someone else checks in. I don't know that Tylenol/acetaminophen is NOT recommended for any reason. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) is antiinflammatory/analgesic. Tylenol/AP is analgesic /antipyretic (fever). I think!

Just FYI, the prescription migraine meds (triptans--Imitrex, Maxalt +) are serotonergic. I use Imitrex occasionally and have wondered how that may be effecting me.

Dani,

I believe that ibuprofen was suggested here somewhere. Ill try to find it until someone else checks in. I don't know that Tylenol/acetaminophen is NOT recommended for any reason. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) is antiinflammatory/analgesic. Tylenol/AP is analgesic /antipyretic (fever). I think!

Just FYI, the prescription migraine meds (triptans--Imitrex, Maxalt +) are serotonergic. I use Imitrex occasionally and have wondered how that may be effecting me.

Thanks Barb! I bought Tylenol but it hasn't helped much. I'm so nervous to take Ibuprofen because I have tinnitus and I think it might send the ringing through the roof. But I will try that.

Thank you!