SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dani -- Zoloft Withdrawals?

Dani

Does ibuprofen cause or worsen tinnitus? I didn't know that. Thanks for that info.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Does ibuprofen cause or worsen tinnitus? I didn't know that. Thanks for that info.

Actually, I read that it does both. If you use it excessively, it can cause tinnitus. If you already have tinnitus, I read that it can temporarily increase the sound.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Hi Dani,

Yes we have very similar symptoms. As I have been told "Keep walking" it does get better.

I don't know about the over the counter pain medication. I do try not to take them often as the body gets used to them and then will cause you a rebound pain.

About reinstating it is a very hard decision. How did you do while on AD? for me they made me worse, I whish I have follow my instinct and would have stopped them earlier, so for me reinstating is not really a good option as I am very sensitive to serotonergic drugs.

Are you functioning?

Hi Dani,

Yes we have very similar symptoms. As I have been told "Keep walking" it does get better.

I don't know about the over the counter pain medication. I do try not to take them often as the body gets used to them and then will cause you a rebound pain.

About reinstating it is a very hard decision. How did you do while on AD? for me they made me worse, I whish I have follow my instinct and would have stopped them earlier, so for me reinstating is not really a good option as I am very sensitive to serotonergic drugs.

Are you functioning?

Hi Soul,

Zoloft stopped my anxiety, but I felt like after a while, my emotions became almost numb. I also wanted to have children so I felt it was time to stop. My doctor kept telling me "Some people need pills for the rest of their lives". But I kept thinking while I am on the pills, I am not getting to the root of the problem, just masking the situation with pills.

I am functioning, but there are days when I feel like I won't be able to make it. It's very frustrating. Then there are days when I feel like I'm back to normal, only to wake up the next day and feel like I'm back to hell. Just awful. The headaches are just terrible! When I get the headaches (which are only on the top right side of my head), I also get brain shivers, body tremors, internal vibrations, and strange sensations in my head. I never had headaches like this before in my life. It just makes me angry that I was not told of any side effects. I feel like I've been taken advantage of.

The only thing I can do is try and keep faith.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Actually, I read that it does both. If you use it excessively, it can cause tinnitus. If you already have tinnitus, I read that it can temporarily increase the sound.

Yes, I agree, it does both. If I have a bad headache, I take it anyway. The additional tinnitus caused by the Advil is very temporary.

I have also taken a Vicodin when I get a severe headache. Not to worry, I'm very careful - I don't need extra aggravation.

Charter Member 2011

I have a 'script for Vicodin. I took it once after I had my wisdom teeth removed and dang near blacked out! So, Advil it is :)

• Administrator

Dani, are you taking any magnesium supplements? Magnesium is relaxing and can also ease headache (I've used it for this purpose.) Our diets often don't supply us with enough magnesium.

Magnesium citrate is good. Don't overdo it -- too much will give you diarrhea. Start with 25mg. I was never able to take more than 50mg-75mg at a time, but others can take much more.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Funny you ask that. Just last week, I had a Magnesium supplement in my hand and put it back because I was just so unsure. I have only seen Magnesium supplements that are 250mg and 500mg. Which brand do/did you use? Would I also need a calcium supplement? I hear the two go hand-in-hand.

Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Dani, are you taking any magnesium supplements? Magnesium is relaxing and can also ease headache (I've used it for this purpose.) Our diets often don't supply us with enough magnesium.

Magnesium citrate is good. Don't overdo it -- too much will give you diarrhea. Start with 25mg. I was never able to take more than 50mg-75mg at a time, but others can take much more.

I've heard of Mag Citrate and have been tempted to try it. Did it relieve your headaches just a little, or did it really make a difference?

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

I've found mag citrate to eliminate headaches. But I haven't tried it for migraines.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Another thing I noticed last night: when I look back at all the notes I have taken in the past couple of months, the first major headache I had was the same day I started back on my birth control pills. I had skipped a month because I wasn't able to refill my script. I'm not sure if this is the reason or what. It was also the day after the funeral. Boy was that stressful. My family relied on me to search for caskets online and create funeral programs. Whoo...anxiety overdrive.

Anyway, I bought Advil today. The pharmacist also suggested Aleve. I did not find any Magnesium Citrate :(

• Administrator

The type of magnesium the pharmacy usually carries is magnesium carbonate, which is harder on your stomach and not as well absorbed as mag citrate. You may need to order mag citrate online.

You will want 100mg tablets you can cut up or 100mg capsules you can open, so you can try a lower dose.

Thanks Alto!

I've found Aleve to be hard on my stomach and not much bothers me. Pill gets caught in my throat, too.

There is a med called Migralex which is aspirin and a magnesium coating. Not sure which magnesium, tho. I got it from my doc, dont know if it's OTC or prescription.

Pros or cons of aspirin?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

I take a low-dose aspirin every night for general health reasons (with fish oil). It used to help me sleep.

When I have a headache, which is pretty rare, I usually take one or two low-dose aspirins and it helps me with no other side effects.

I believe if you keep the dose low and take with food or fish oil, you won't have the risk of stomach issues.

I doubt this is going to be helpful for those who have migraines, though. But maybe a low-dose aspirin with some magnesium might help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Vitacost is is good online resource, but if you don't want to wait, try Whole Foods for mag citrate.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

Thanks everyone. I'm defiantly doing my homework to see what works for me.

Has anyone ever heard of using Atarax (Hydroxyzine) for anxiety?

My sister has been very anxious lately. She hasn't been sleeping well either. Her doctor gave her a 'script for Atarax to help her sleep and to help her with the anxiety. He told her it isn't habit forming. I told her to do LOTS of research before taking it. Does anyone know or have experience using this?

• Administrator

See the topic on Atarax, moved to the Symptoms and What Helps forum.

See the topic on Atarax, moved to the Symptoms and What Helps forum.

okay. thanks

I finally found magnesium citrate, but before that was taking magnesium chloride and was able to tolerate it well (dissolved in water, taking 20mL (80mg) twice a day).

Hang in there with the symptoms. I know how frustrating it can be, but there is a very good chance things will improve.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I finally found magnesium citrate, but before that was taking magnesium chloride and was able to tolerate it well (dissolved in water, taking 20mL (80mg) twice a day).

Hang in there with the symptoms. I know how frustrating it can be, but there is a very good chance things will improve.

I am trying to hang in there. Last week was actually pretty decent, but yesterday...ughhh! I felt okay until about 7pm and my head felt like someone was squeezing it. I tried the Aleve, but it made me feel pretty dizzy. Not sure why. I just wanna feel like my old self again :(

Dani,

Do you have any idea why things hit you later in the day? I ask b/c I am the opposite--mornings are the worst.

Barb

I have no clue, to be honest. I'm not sure if it's because the day is winding down, or if I'm starting to get tired. I'm not sure.

But I noticed that the periods of feeling decent are increasing. Before, I'd wake up and within 2 hours, the dizziness would start and then the headaches would come. Maybe it's just a good wave. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but yesterday I woke up with a headache. I felt blah all day but by 7pm, I felt like someone was squeezing my head. The unpredictability of this makes me so angry. It's so hard to feel good one day, and feel like you're back to square one the next.

• Administrator

Yes, the lack of progress is very frustrating. Recovery is described as coming in lurches, with windows and changes in symptoms along the way.

and you've been going through this for 7 years??!??!

*sigh*

• Administrator

Well, I'm a LOT better now. Almost fully recovered.

Well, I'm a LOT better now. Almost fully recovered.

That's wonderful! First time I've heard you say anything close! :D

That is inspiring!

Feeling like garbage today.

Tuesday night, I had an episode where the back of my head started to feel strange. I started to feel tremors. Now, this happened around 1:00am. I had a cheese sandwich, and I seemed to feel a little better. I then went to sleep.

I woke up yesterday and I felt pretty okay. However, I started to have a similar episode, but around 11:00p.m. The back of my head had that infamous strange sensation. Then came the muscle twitches and ultimately tremors. I also felt so sick to my stomach.

I'm trying to figure out if my birth control pills have anything to do with this. After my free week, I started back on Day one Sunday 10/9/11. When I look back at my notes, I seems to feel a lot better when I'm about to get my period and the week I have it. But as soon as I start back on the pill, the dizziness starts and all hell seems to break loose.

But it could be a coincidence. Ugh! Helpppppppp

Dani,

Certainly sounds like you're onto something. I'm at the 'other end' of the hormonal flux and know how strongly the fluctuations have effected me in the last several years. I never had significant PMS when younger so when it started hitting me at around 40, I was baffled. Hormonal migraines are right up there w barometric change migraines. Wicked!

• Administrator

What time of the day do you take your birth control pills?

Do you stop taking them entirely to bring on your period?

Yes, withdrawal can make us hypersensitive to the hormones in birth control pills. For example, estrogen and progesterone can be calming. In withdrawal, the alerting system doesn't like opposition, so it will ramp up against calming substances in a paradoxical reaction.

This is one of the many confusing symptoms patterns we have to contend with.

Dani,

I tried the BC pills a month ago and they made me so sick I had to stop them after a week. I was hoping they would help and I would not get a flare up of symptoms before my period but no it was worst.

Maybe you could try to stop them and see if it helps.

What time of the day do you take your birth control pills?

Do you stop taking them entirely to bring on your period?

Yes, withdrawal can make us hypersensitive to the hormones in birth control pills. For example, estrogen and progesterone can be calming. In withdrawal, the alerting system doesn't like opposition, so it will ramp up against calming substances in a paradoxical reaction.

This is one of the many confusing symptoms patterns we have to contend with.

I take them at night, usually around 10:00pm or so. During the week of your period, you take "sugar pills" which have no hormones in them. It's like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Geez.

I also forgot to mention this - I wrote to Dr. Stuart Shipko about my issues and symptoms. I told him exactly what I wrote here and this is the response I received:

"The time lag between stopping and the onset of symptoms is 5 months. It is unlikely that this represents a delayed withdrawal syndrome."

Stuart Shipko, MD (Psychiatrist/Neurologist)

Founder and Medical Director of PDI

What the heck? I'm really confused now.

Dani,

Certainly sounds like you're onto something. I'm at the 'other end' of the hormonal flux and know how strongly the fluctuations have effected me in the last several years. I never had significant PMS when younger so when it started hitting me at around 40, I was baffled. Hormonal migraines are right up there w barometric change migraines. Wicked!

It's so confusing. I wish this nightmare would end already.