SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

abster728: Zoloft Taper

abster728

Well after 15 years I have decided to come off the Zoloft 150 mg ... I am very nervous about this as I know there can be horrible withdrawal symptoms. I will start my taper tommorrow my doctor said we would start at 150mg and decrease to 125mg then after 2 weeks we will decrease to 100 mg then 2 weeks later to 75 mg then after this we will decrease by 12.5mg every 3 to 4 weeks.... Does this sound like a good taper plan?

I am trying to avoid HORRIBLE BRAIN ZAPS at all costs...

Thanks!!!

Been on Zoloft now for 18 years

50mg from ages 12-15

Fast taper at age 15 over 2 weeks to 12.5 mg ( back then withdrawal wasn't well known)

Stabilized at 50 mg for 3-4yrs (19)

Increased to 100mg at some point after 19

By 21 I was on 150mg

Decreased to 100mg around 23

Back up to 150 around 25

Then at 26 years I decreased to 100mg

Age 30 July 30th 2016 dropped to 75mg (current dosage)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abster728

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• JanCarol

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Hello, Ahbay. Welcome.

I moved your first post here as your Introduction. You can put updates in this topic as your progress journal.

To be safe, we advocate no more than a 10% decrease of the current dosage. That would be 15mg of 150mg Zoloft. The second reduction would be 13.5mg (10% of 135mg).

We suggest you try a 10% reduction each month for 2 months to see how you do. If no withdrawal symptoms, you can go faster.

After all, you've been on Zoloft for 15 years, your brain may not give it up that easily.

Zoloft comes in a liquid, which makes controlling your taper easier. Has your doctor prescribed the liquid for you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well I have only been on Zoloft 150 mg for 1 week because I had a severe reaction to Amitriptyline I only took one dose and it sent me into severe anxiety and catastrophic thinking.. My doctor has gave me the ok to go back down to 125 mg for 2 weeks then 100mg 2 weeks later... I do have some liquid zoloft but I really want to just stick to pills if possible...

I just want a place I can come to so I dont drive my family crazy in the process of this withdrawal....

Now what I am dealing with are the side effects of zoloft after all these years.. The one I am dealing with mostly now is feeling Unreal..

50mg from ages 12-15

Fast taper at age 15 over 2 weeks to 12.5 mg ( back then withdrawal wasn't well known)

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

Hi and welcome....

After 15 years the drop in dose of 25 mgs. every two weeks is not advisable. It is a huge amount and the intervals are very short. This tapering schedule may cause trouble (WD) symptoms for you.

Using the liquid really helps in keeping the drops in dose to a minimum to help avoid adverse WD problems.

One other thing, the drops are cumulative. I don't know how to explain this. So if you drop 25mgs. and then do it again in a short time, the brain can't adjust to a 50mg. drop. I doesn't register a taper, it responds to a huge decrease.

Someone will come along shortly to explain it better. Not trying to alarm you or be a negative post, just want to help you along.

The good news is that if it turns out to be too much of a taper, you can always go back up in dose and using the liquid make smalles drops in dose.

Best regards

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Ahbay,

It sounds like you are experiencing DEPERSONALIZATION and/or DEREALIZATION

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1292-depersonalization/page__fromsearch__1

That has been one of the worst and most disconcerting symptoms for me. It leaves me feeling uncertain and second-guessing everything because nothing feels real or *right*. There are a few other threads about it. You can do a search on the terms (also "DP/DR").

Can you explain why you were put on the amitriptyline and how you reacted? That sounds very scary.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Ahbay, had you been on Zoloft for 15 years then switched to amitriptyline, then went back to Zoloft?

How did you switch from Zoloft to amitriptyline?

If you went directly from Zoloft to amitriptyline for one day, then back to Zoloft again, what you need to do is stabilize on Zoloft and use the liquid for very gradual tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi,

Welcome!

As one who tapered off of 4 meds after 15 years, I want to add my voice to the previous replies that suggest you taper at the 10% rate. I even found that as I got lower with a few of my meds, I had to slow the taper down to 5%.

Better to be safe than sorry.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

The doctor gave me amitriptyline on top of Zoloft and I only took one dose 24 hrs later I was sent into the worst week of my life with OCD thoughts and catastrophic thinking.... But that's a lot better now... She did up my dose to 150 mg for one week....now I'm trying to get back to 125mg so I don't feel unreal... Then I'll continue to try to get off... Thanks everyone for all the input :) I'm looking forward to meeting friends here that will helpe along the way :)

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

• Administrator

Were you taking 125mg Zoloft for 15 years?

In that case, if you've been taking 150mg for only a week, I agree your first reduction could be 25mg, to 125mg. If I were you, I'd do it as soon as possible.

I also would question the wisdom of her giving you amitriptyline on top of Zoloft. That is a classic error potentially leading to serotonin syndrome.

My general practictioner gave me Amitriptyline and I am not going back to her because of it...I only took one dose of it.. She should have known that could cause horrible crap to happen... Anyways I have been on 125 mg of Zoloft for about a year I have been up and down over the past years.. Like 8 years ago I got down to 12.5mg with no problem not knowing that I would have horrible brain zaps I stopped and 5 days was filled with torture so I was instructed to go back on Zoloft so thats where I have been since I was 12....

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

• Administrator

The symptoms you feel may not be from the larger dose of Zoloft but from the blow to your nervous system from the Zoloft-amitryptyline combo.

I presume your doctor increased your Zoloft dosage to compensate for the adverse reaction from amitryptyline?

Given that you had that bad recent reaction to the Zoloft-amitryptaline combo and your Zoloft dosage was jacked up only a week ago, if I were you I'd use the liquid to very, very gradually go down from 150mg Zoloft to 125mg Zoloft, at 5mg decrease per week. That would take you back down to 125mg Zoloft in 5 weeks.

Your nervous system doesn't need any more sudden changes now.

Has anyone ever gone thru Zoloft withdrawal and actually been successful?? I'm do scared I am gonna get some type of withdrawals that last forever... :/

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

• Moderator Emeritus

Ahbay03, try to relax. There are plenty of people who have succeeded - but the key is patience!!

I know this is not easy, i am being there and doing that too.... slow, small reductions is what most of us have found to be the only way to go. you have been on Zoloft for a long time and you should probably resign to taking at least a year to get off - if not longer

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Thank You all for being so helpful!! I am so glad I found this site... Hope you all had a great 4th!!!!!

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

I was given supplements by a new doctor Charles Whitfield that was mentioned in the forum... I went to him today and was very pleased with my visit. He indeed is against Psychciatry Medication.... He gave me 4 supplements to help me sleep at night which I am all for BUT I of course take ZOLOFT as you all know... I have looked on google and 5HTP is known to increase seretonin syndrome.. He gave me :

Melatonin 3mg

5 HTP 100mg

GABA 750mg

L-THEANINE 100mg

He said to take 1 capsule of each 1 hour before bedtime

My question is are these Supplements safe to take with ZOLOFT?

Also What are the odds of me developing something called Tardive dyskinesia while coming off ZOLOFT?

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

Ahbay,

Many people are very sensitive to supplements.you are correct that 5HTP is a serotonin precursor. It is definitely NOT wise to change/start more than one thing at a time. If you have a reaction -good or bad - you will not known what to attribute it to.

Please hold off on taking those until Alto or other admin checks in.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks I will hold off till someone can let me know :)

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

• Administrator

Ahbay, did Dr. Whitfield know you were on Zoloft? You should get his assurance that those supplements are safe with your dose of Zoloft.

The possibility you will develop tardive dyskinesia coming off Zoloft is low.

Yes he did know I was on Zoloft... I am having such a hard time right now... My head feels water logged and when I move my head it feels like it takes a minute for my eyes to catch up.... I just want all this to go away :(

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd try each of these supplements separately, to make sure you're okay with them.

I'd try a quarter of a 3mg melatonin tablet (.75mg) first, for a few days, and see how it goes. It may be you don't need as much as 3mg.

I'd then separately add theanine and GABA.

Phone Dr. Whitfield and confirm the 5-HTP and Zoloft combination.

What effect are these supplements supposed to have? What's your plan for tapering?

It takes me 3 to 4 hrs to fall asleep so he said these supplements would make me sleep good... Also he has not really set a solid taper schedule he wants to wait and see how this next reduction goes in 2 weeks which I will be at 112.5mg... I have every strength of Zoloft in tablet form and liquid... Also do you think I should split my doses half in the morning and half in the evening....??

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

• Administrator

Are you on 125mg now? You're reducing by 12.5mg?

I don't know about splitting the Zoloft dose. I've never heard of anyone doing that. I would think if it's hard for you to get to sleep, taking it in the evening would make that worse.

Still, I'd add in the supplements gradually, one at a time, in partial doses, and hold off on the 5-HTP.

I am on 125 mg... I will go to 112.5mg in 2 weeks then taper gradually... Another thing I am dealing with now is right as I am about to go to sleep I know I dont physically see something like visually hallucinate but I see random faces pop in my head it's like I'm between awake and asleep and i like jump awake then I can't remember what it looked like I just know it was scary... I this something the Zoloft causes.... ??

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

• Administrator

Antidepressants and withdrawal can cause vivid dreams. It sounds like maybe you're experiencing lucid dreaming, a state between being awake and asleep. Don't worry about it.

Ok thanks :) thank y'all for being so helpful!! With y'alls support I know I'll be able to get thru this :)

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone I have been on Zoloft since I was 12 I just turned 30 and that is what I want this year and that's to be off Zoloft. I have tried to come off multiple times, even been a member of the group before but here I am back after failed attempts and chickening out when it got to bad. This is something I need to do for myself. So hopefully this time I'll be off for good.

Been on 100 mg for the past 4 years steady... reduced dosage to 75mg....July 30th

Edited by scallywag
tags added

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi abster,

Welcome to SA.  My first question is if you were a member here before, have you now joined up under a different name?  If you have then it would be better (to keep your history intact) to use that member name.

If you have not been a registered member here previously, Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  We ask all members to provide details of the last year (ALL drugs, dates and doses and how you increased/decreased - eg did you skip days or alternate doses) with a summary of anything prior to that.  This information can then be seen at a glance without people needing to read back through your posts to find the information.  Please also update your signature with the dates and dose when you make changes.  Having accurate information helps us to make suggestions based on your individual situation.

There is lots of excellent information on this site and it's good that you have returned or joined (whichever it may be :))

SA recommends a taper of no more than 10% of the previous dose with a hold of 4-6 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  This is a harm (ie withdrawal symptom) reduction method.

I'm going to list links for your to read and then you can post any questions here in your Intro/Update topic.  Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.  You can also use this topic to journal your progress.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

These helped me to understand SA's tapering recommendation and many times I have recalled them and they have stopped me from trying to taper too quickly:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for responding! When I was on before under a different name I didn't post much and went back up on my dosage. That was quite sometime ago! About 5 years ago I weaned off Valium after being on it for 17 years. Now here I am still on Zoloft. Unfortunately when I was around 16 The doctor gave me buspar and told me to stop the Zoloft cold turkey. I went into total withdrawal with brain zaps went to the emergency room after 5 days of continuous zaps and they reinstated my Zoloft and ever since I have gotten as low as 50mg and got scared and just came to the conclusion I would never get off the meds. Also I always had a steady job and couldn't risk the chance of losing my job but as of right now I am unemployed and hoping this is my time to finally be feee from this torment of feeling NUMB!! I can't feel anything... and honestly it just became my normal but I know deep down inside there is more to this life than this horrible numbness and lack of emotion. I need to know what life feels like unmedicated.....Anyways sorry for rambling on...

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

Hey Abster. I've been on a different ssri since 15. Im nearly 26 now. Not as long as you but still a decent amount of my youth was on the drug. I tried tapering 10% every 3-4 weeks as was too quick for my system. Id take it slow to start. Its not going to take a year. Its going to take 4 years + but your life will improve leaps and bounds as you SLOWLY deduce your dose. Please do it right. Do not taper fast. It is not a race and you will suffer if you are impatient. But if your careful and listen to your body - you will make it fine.

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

• Moderator Emeritus

abster: What was your previous username?

As ChessieCat wrote, it is better for the mods to have a full picture that includes your previous history even if you didn't post much then and were taking different medication(s).

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I'm not even sure. Honestly I dont even remember. I have not done any tapering in 3 years I've been on an everyday dose of 100mg until 5 days ago. So it's pretty much a fresh taper. It's going to take me years to get off since I was put on them at 12 years old.

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

Not sure where to put this post but I heard song on the radio today by Katy Perry it was called RISE if you get a chance take a listen to it. It reminded me of the battle we are going through. Hope everyone is feeling stronger day by day!!! Granted I've only been reduced to 75mg for 4 days is it possible I could have felt a glimmer of hope and happiness knowing that one day I will be off these medications. I must do this for me and the ones that can't or couldn't!!! All people need to understand Mental Illness is a real problem and the stigma must be changed!!! We can do this together!!! Good Night!!

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

I found my old account username was ahbay03

Also there was a message from JubesH and her story and mine were very similar she had sent me a message and I wished I would have seen it then... her account says she hasn't been on since 2013 :/ I sent her a message maybe one day she will see it....

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25

Abster - I just noticed. You have dropped from 100mg to 75mg?? Thats a 25% drop!   I think it is possible that you may be feeling more hopeful and better on 75mg now, however this can be the honeymoon phase. It is soooo often reported that people feel so good for a bit after they reduce by a significant amount only to have it catch up on them later on. Seeing you have been on 100mg for a long time - i would seriously consider going back up to 90mg and holding there. I will be very surprised if you do not have withdrawal catch up with you within the coming few days/weeks.    

10% drops Abster. Seeing you've been on a high dose for a long time - maybe 5% to start

Mods??? Anyone?? what do you all think???

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Nick for picking that up.  It got lost in amongst the rest of the post.

Abster, could you please simplify your signature as it is a bit hard to see details at a glance.  Seeing drug, date and dose makes it easier for us.  As you decrease you could move the previous date and dose up to the previous line and put the new date and dose by itself on the last line.

Zoloft (18 years, since age 12)

--> "insert date" 100 mg

"insert date"  75 mg

Abster how are you feeling at the moment?  Are you getting any symptoms?  Please keep notes on paper and I suggest you have a read of About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  If you start experiencing any unbearable symptoms, it is suggested you reinstate/updose straight away.  You wouldn't need to go back up to 100 mg so I suggest that if you do decide to updose that you post that here so we can suggest a dose to try.  It would depend on how long it was since you dropped what dose you might need to try and get the withdrawal symptoms under control.

You may be okay with doing a first large drop, and if it goes okay I would suggest holding for at least 2 or possibly 3 months before commencing a taper of no more than 10% of the previous dose (not the starting dose).  Also ,many members have found that the lower their dose gets the slower they have to go.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Im not getting any symptoms so far I feel great. Thanks for looking out for me! I plan to go really slow once I start the next reduction. Probably 10 percent if not 5% drops every 2 months.

50mg from ages 12-15

By 21 I was on 150mg

Back up to 150 around 25