SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

My Meds are Gone

alexjuice

I went to fill my weekly pill containers and my pill bottles are gone. Valium and Klonopin. No where to be found. These are stealable items but only my brother has, from what I've gathered, been inside since I last set my pills.

I've been doing a lot of cooking -- broths and whatnot -- maybe they got thrown away.

I just called Dr. Y and made the call I hope nobody has to make. "Doc, I've lost two half full bottles of controlled substance two weeks in advance of the refill date..." This is more cliche, for druggies, than affairs with secretaries is for executives... Hope she believes me. F&^%!

I'll need Dr. Y to get me more pills tomorrow basically. This is a bad turn for someone in my shoes. I'll volunteer to give blood if she wants, valium stays in the body for a long time, but it just sucks to be 'the addict' who 'lost' his pills.

Dammit..Dammit...Dammit....Dammit

Alex

ps - I'm not an actual addict though I played one for five stays in four rehabs.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

How @**@ing annoying.

Hope it works out ok.

Here's a couple of thoughts, presuming no-one else could have moved them but you...(dunno how things are set up in your household, when I lived with my parents my Mum used to move things to safe places sometimes we didn't see them again for years, literally...).

Dunno if you get absent minded sometimes, if so could you have put them away with some cooking ingredients?

Also have you tried the taking your mind back to where you last remember having them and then the retracing your steps around the house trick, this one often works for me (I'm badly absent minded, and it's been worse during and since the ssris).

Citalopram for 6 months

Since then tapering off over last 4 months

20mg -> 15mg -> 10mg -> 5mg (roughly every 3-4 weeks)

Stayed at 2.5mg for approx 6 weeks

As of 9 Sept 2011 off citalopram

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh jeez. Let us know what happens, I'll be worrying about you.

If the doc isn't cooperative about giving you a refill and your brother doesn't show up and confess and there's no other resort, as a last resort sometimes the ER will give people a few days worth of benzos to keep them out of immediate WD until they can get more. Unfortunately they sometimes seem to insist on giving some other benzo besides the one you're actually ON. But not always. Some ER docs understand the urgency of benzo withdrawal.

Hopefully your doc's office will be okay with helping you out since you don't make a habit of losing your meds. Or you'll find them. Either way please keep us posted.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Oooof, alex. Maybe Dr. Y can fill prescriptions for a week at a time?

Does your brother do creepy things? (My brother might.)

(We know you're not an actual addict.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well, it's been bothersome but it'll be okay...

Dr. Y rewrote my medication without a whole song and dance of suspicion. It probably helped that I still have some remaining surplus from when I was taking my dosage in different increments (I had some 1mg Klonopin, some 10mg Valium upstairs but lost .5mg & 5mg). I coulda survived for a while on the old stuff and, if I had binged on the pills, addict style, that surplus would, one would think, have disappeared with the rest. Maybe that added to my credibility. In any event, I think she believed me and was willing to help. This is moreorless the only time in 18 months w/ Y and 10 years with Dr. FG that I've needed an early fill on a controlled so I got the benefit of the doubt.

Still, not a fun call to make, trust me.

My brother is not the type to steal my meds... at least I hope not. We were watching his dog last week and she's a beast. The current theory is the dog knocked 'em in the trash, which is possible considering where I sometimes leave them (foolishly when I have that beast about)...

The other possibility is that I put them somewhere. Or my mom put them somewhere. Honestly, she's in her 60s and is sometimes forgetful. My memory is toast from Drugs. So the pill bottles could be misplaced somewhere, and we don't know where to look.

I really appreciate all the words of support and concern. It means a lot.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hey Alex, I'm glad it worked out and im putting my money on the beast. ;-) Someone will prob find them buried in the yard a few years down the road.

Just a thought for future incidences for anyone ... I believe that some pharmacists, esp if they know you, may advance a few pills until doc can be reached. Particularly w meds that change seizure threshold as benzos and anticonvulsants (used as mood stabilizers).

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).