Hello all, I am new here and just trying to see what could happen to me. I lost my mother several days ago and while with her in Florida, I ran out of my Escitalopram. Before I left town, I was waiting for my prescriptions and this one didn't show up. I go through express scripts because I am tricare and have no other choice. So.... the Escitalopram didn't arrive. I called the doctors office, the line is always busy or you leave a message. Well, no return calls and I had to head to Florida. I have been out since July 27th, contacted my doctor (haven't heard a thing yet) and so.... what can I expect? I don't even want to take this anymore. What signs should I be looking for? I am surely going to be down due to the loss of my mother, but I went off these before and went back on about a year later due to an unforseen incident. I don't feel like I'm coming out of my skin or over tired, just kinda normal, actually. Just thought I would throw this out there. Has anyone else just "stopped" this stuff? Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

PMuckyMuck -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You've done a cold-turkey stop and got lucky once. Please don't assume that you'll be so fortunate again as to have no symptoms.

People have just stopped escitalopram and some have suffered greatly for years.  Do not just stop escitalopram.

What is withdrawal syndrome

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)  

Get an answer from Express Scripts -- why was your escitalopram not sent?  Sometimes insurers disallow a prescription because "reasons" and you need to get a new one at a lower dose, which you and your doctor have to appeal.

If it was ES error, get them to send you the prescription overnight.

If it's going to take a week or two to get the issue sorted out, can you afford the cost of a 10 - 14 days worth of escitalopram from a local pharmacy? 

If yes,  get your doctor to prescribe a 30- or 60-day supply and get a local pharmacy to fill a 10-14 day supply.

If you can't make room in your budget for this, ask if your doctor has samples to carry you through the gap from Exp. Scripts.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet