SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Some great laffs

cinephile

Well, everyone's favorite pediatrician and psychiatric skeptic Rob Lindeman just got in a nice zinger over at the Thought Broadcast forum. I've included the exchange below, as it's buried in the response thread. I've also put in my own commentary/responses in italics.

SD says:

Why can't pharma companies offer modest meal to physician to inform about their products. After all pharma companies are spending billions of dollars every year trying to develop new medicine to improve our quality of life or even save our lives [ORLY? Or is the therapeutic benefit of their drugs just a happy coincidence of their profit motives? Are you seriously trying to morally defend drug companies?]. Remember when you were sick last time, did you take medicine to get well? Or would it be ok to doctor just ask you to go back home snd rest as an answer for your visit. Did you ever had a loved one that survived cancer or is still alive due new medicine that has been developed by big pharma [Ah yes. The "take it or leave it" fallacy. If you don't allow docs to have those delicious turkey clubs -- hold the mayo! (unless you're on lipitor, of course) -- they wouldn't be able to give out the wonder drugs and you'd have to tough out whatever you have or die of cancer. And by the way, last time I checked interrogative sentences still end with a question mark. And a spell checker is a wonderful thing.] Think about it. Maybe pharma is not that bad after all and maybe a modest lunch will be the only way that pharma company is able to get in front of your doctor to educate on new medicine [Wow. If a Quiznos extra toasty sandwich is the deciding factor in my doctor deciding to prescribe me a med, I'm not going to that doctor anymore.] If a sandwich for a physician will change the prescribing habits of your doctor that is pathetic and maybe it's time to find a new doctor. [Wait what? Now I'm confused. Didn't you just say that if what it takes for a doc to prescribe a med is a free sandwich, then so be it? Are you now saying that's a bad thing? HUH?] There is a lot more good what pharma does than the skewed articles will tell you.

Rob Lindeman says:

"[M]aybe a modest lunch will be the only way that pharma company is able to get in front of your doctor to educate on new medicine."

It's not.

"If a sandwich for a physician will change the prescribing habits of your doctor that is pathetic and maybe it's time to find a new doctor."

Good point. And yet the pharm house isn't offering you lunch just cuz you look like you could use a good meal. They know they need to do this to move product.

SD Says:

Have you ever considered that maybe it is the product conversation that might chance the doctors habits not the sandwich that they are eating. Also reps are also required to inform physicians about possible side effects or interaction that could save you from a trip to hospital. Pretty important if you ask me. [Really? They talk about side effects honestly? Aren't drug reps paid to marginalize side effects and spin the data? Read Dr. Carlat's NYT article "Dr. Drug Rep" for a first-person account of this.]

How about if our senators make public record available of all the information regarding their meals, donations, salaries, other compensation etc. that they receive every day/month/year [I could handle that. If a senator has nothing to hide, they have nothing to worry about.]

Rob Lindeman says:

"Have you ever considered that maybe it is the product conversation that might chance the doctors habits not the sandwich that they are eating."

I'll assume that's a question. Yes, I've considered it, and rejected it. However, if the rep were young, female, and hot, I was more receptive to the message. Why do you suppose the reps are so often young, female, and hot? Just askin' (using question marks, too!) [Good question. Did you know that drug companies often hire former cheerleaders because they're hot and they know how to get people riled up over something? Especially men, since most physicians are still predominantly male?]

SD says:

Sounds like you are one of those unfortunate physicians that prescribe medicine based on the quality of tge sandwich you you are being served or based on the looks of the pharma rep or you one of those people that really dont know what's going on in the physician office and you are there to been seen by medical staff at the expense of the us government. Either case I am happy that you are not my doctor or I am not your physician.

Rob Lindeman says:

At last we agree! I too am glad we don't know one another!!!

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

• Administrator

cine dear, what's the link?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg