Niknak090808: Citalopram questions

Niknak090808

Hi everyone

I've been on citilopram since November on 20mg. My doctors has told me to drop to 10mg for 2 weeks then go on peroxitine. I'm now on day 9 of 10mg and have had pains in my cheeks, neck pain and niggly pains in my head for last few days. It's horrible and I just want to sleep

Any advice xx

Edited by scallywag
tags added
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Niknak -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums enlightening and helpful for your taper.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Those niggly sensations are the result of the citalopram dose reduction -- common symptoms of withdrawal from an SSRI such as citalopram. Your brain and CNS (central nervous system) are reacting to this dosage change.

What is withdrawal syndrome

A couple of questions for you and a request:

Why was the citalopram prescribed in November?

Why is the doctor switching to your prescription paroxetine (Paxil) now?

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. Please put your withdrawal history in signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet