SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Rico: Zyprexa tapering

Rico

Hi everyone,

I am not doing well. Yesterday, I suffered from a lot of anxiety and when I caught the train to see my girlfriend, I felt a lot of pressure in my head all over.

We had dinner and when I got home and took the Zyprexa 2.25 via the syringe, I completely crashed within 30 mins. I had severe pain in my frontal lobe and my head was very agitated. I was extremely incapacitated. I couldn't do anything. I just breathed and breathed. I then became very depressed and eventually slept.

I woke up in bed with severe pain on the left side of my head and I was severely depressed. I couldn't get out of bed until nearly lunch time.

Zyprexa never used to have this effect on me. It is now literally disabling me when I take it and the depression is very severe.

The pain this drug is putting me through is enormous. I've never experienced this before.

1997 - Diagnosed Bipolar 1 after stressful life events and hospitalised, discharged on multiple drugs.

1997 - 2014: Polypharmacy treatment, predominantly Zyprexa, Epilim and Lithium (at high doses), ~30 hospitalisations.

2015: Back to cocktail of Zypreza, Epilim, Lithium and dealing with aftermath of injection

2016: Decided to withdraw from psychiatric drugs due to side effects.

2017: Withdrew from Zyprexa, Epilim and just placed on lithium (~1800mg)

2017, 2018: Multiple failed withdrawals from lithium and hospitalisations involving short term antipsychotic use.

2019: More failed lithium withdrawals resulting in hospitalisation

April 2019: Started seeing new psychiatrist who suggested replacing Lithium with Latuda, hospitalised within 5 days.

April to July: tapered lithium down to 600mg and new psychiatrist is supporting me to get off lithium completely.

Aug 25 2019: Discontinued Lithium, completely drug free. March 2020: Hospitalised, Abilify/Lithium for a short time. Drug free since July 2020.  February 2021: Hospitalised, Lithium 750mg

May 2022: Last dose of Abilify Depot, Lithium 1250 -> tapered to 750mg by July 2022.

• Moderator Emeritus

Symptoms can come "out of the clear blue sky" or change dramatically like that. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this awful situation.

I have had things very easy, only ever been on one med at a time and relatively mild symptoms. When I read how distressing, disorienting and painful people's experience is, I wish I could compel every doctor who prescribe these drugs to start on a drug cocktail, stay on it for 10-12 months and then tell them to stop. You know just run a little experiment, do the procedure, record observations, draw conclusions. Far too many are too arrogant to notice that they are ignorant. ARGGH!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks scallywag. It is extremely tough at true moment.

The worst part about this is how it's affecting my relationship. It has been so draining on my partner, whom I love very much and want to be with.

1997 - Diagnosed Bipolar 1 after stressful life events and hospitalised, discharged on multiple drugs.

1997 - 2014: Polypharmacy treatment, predominantly Zyprexa, Epilim and Lithium (at high doses), ~30 hospitalisations.

2015: Back to cocktail of Zypreza, Epilim, Lithium and dealing with aftermath of injection

2017, 2018: Multiple failed withdrawals from lithium and hospitalisations involving short term antipsychotic use.

April 2019: Started seeing new psychiatrist who suggested replacing Lithium with Latuda, hospitalised within 5 days.

April to July: tapered lithium down to 600mg and new psychiatrist is supporting me to get off lithium completely.

Aug 25 2019: Discontinued Lithium, completely drug free. March 2020: Hospitalised, Abilify/Lithium for a short time. Drug free since July 2020.  February 2021: Hospitalised, Lithium 750mg

May 2022: Last dose of Abilify Depot, Lithium 1250 -> tapered to 750mg by July 2022.

I am sitting at the ER waiting to see a doctor.

The left side of my head is in pain and my left arm is burning and weak. I know that the Zyprexa has caused all this, but I just want some assurance that there's no damage to my brain or nerves.

I am really frustrated. I am sick every day with. I signs of any improvement. I have also noticed that my symptoms have become worse since using the oral syringe. Maybe it is too strong??

Everyone around me is fed up with me being sick and I am starting to feel like a burden. It feels like each day I am slipping further and further away from who I am.

I don't want to lose the love of my life. She is the most beautiful woman in the world and I would hate to see her go because of all this.

I want to cry but I can't. I am so emotionally blunted right now and te left side of my brain is in pain.

I look around me and see people talking and functioning and wonder how they do that so effortlessly. I have fought so hard for 20 years to live and be normal. I was overmedicated for most of that time and tried everything. I worshipped the doctor who has now abandoned me. I have done to find new information and realise that maybe the drugs were causing me the problems all along.

It feels like I have come to know the truth too late.

I literally shut down neurologically after taking a tiny dose of Zyprexa. My eyes start to droop, my frontal lobe hurts and I just hug my girlfriend and try to just breathe. I am heavily sedated but in a restless agony. The only coping mechanism I can practice is to just breathe and breathe. Then, the severe depression hits and I try to just accept it and continue breathing. I physically cannot do anything else, the disabling effect the drug is now having is just too much.

I don't fall asleep. I pass out at some point. My nervous system is then in the grips of a neurotoxin. I open my eyes 8 hours or so laterals all I feel is pain running down the left side of my face. The depression is severe with relentless auicidal thoughts. There are moments even when I get relief from feeling that this will all be over when I do commit suicide.

The paralysing depresssion continues for another 3 hours and I toss and turn trying to get just a wink of sleep for some relief. It doesn't come.

I go downstairs in a completely depressed and dyfunxrional state to only remember that I have to take more medication that makes me feel crap.

The pain today in the left side of my brain and the burning arm really alarmed me.

So I am here at te ER hoping for them to get a CT scan done and possibly a blood test to see if there'a aonething else going on

• Moderator Emeritus

Rico,

Please let us know how you're doing. Also, did you take any more Valium? 

You mentioned taking it on October 5,  October 21, and November 8

Valium has  Major drug interaction, as linked to here

Valium has a half life of up to 200 hours, so it's still in your system. Please let the doctor at the ER know this so they'll be on the lookout for this interaction and not ascribe it to something else.

Let us know how you're doing. 

Hi,

The CT am blood results were normal. On the way home though I still had head pressure.

I had a suspicion as to what was causing the problem since last Saturday when I started tapering the Zyprexa by 10% using the liquid solution.

As you can see from my posts since then, I have been very sick since taking the liquid taper. Within 30 mins of taking it, I would neurologically shut down and feel very sick. I'd then woke up with severe depression. Yesterday morning was the worst though, because I woke up with left side of my face burning and arm etc, which promoted me to get myself checked out at the ER.

So last night, there was NO WAY I was going to use that compounded liquid. Either there is a big mistake with there formula or I am having a serious allergic reaction to the suspending agent.

Last night, I just took 3/4 of the 2.5 tablet, and I had a better sleep and generally felt better today. I didn't experience any neurological problems or head pains at all - and I didn't feel like dying the way I did after the liquid crap.

I am aware that I have done a 25% taper here, but I am very confused as how I can do it otherwise with the 2.5mg tablet. I don't trust anymore confounding liquids from pharmacies. I read the "tips for tapering Zyprexa" and a bit confused. Are the oridispersible tablets the same as the wafers? I remember a pharmacist telling me that the orodispersible tablets are not available in Oz and that the wafers are for the mouth. And how can I use a digital scale with the tablets that I have??

I habe been honest with you guys all along with what's happening so I hope I am not looked down on for deciding to do a 25% reduction following a week of taking pretty much a poison form of Zyprexa.

I hope I don't lose your support.

I did successfully come off Zyprexa last year by cutting the tablet and reducing fortnightly. This time I will hold for a month and reassess. If things don't go well, then I will reinstate to 2.5.

I am feeling much better than yesterday. The head pains are gone. I am still feeling slow and out of it, but I am hoping that will get better.

I will keep updating and let you know how I go.

If someone can clarify the Zyprexa tapering method that would be great.

Just laying in bed thinking how great it is to be heard on this site. For many years my side effects and complaints to my pdoc would be dismissed or explained as something else.

This is something that is definitely on my gratitude list.

• Moderator Emeritus

You may have been having a reaction to one of the ingredients in the compounded liquid. Who knows, really?  I'm glad you feel more settled with the partial tablet.

Many people reduce dose by using a digital scale rather than making a liquid or having one prescribed. It might be worth your time to read this topic:

Using a digital scale to measure doses

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Rico.

Are the oridispersible tablets the same as the wafers? I remember a pharmacist telling me that the orodispersible tablets are not available in Oz and that the wafers are for the mouth. And how can I use a digital scale with the tablets that I have?? 

Please read over the "Tips for tapering off Zyprexa" thread and the info on using a digital scale. 

Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

According to the information in that link, it is difficult:

Using orodispersible Zyprexa tablets or wafers to taper
These tablets or wafers, which dissolve in the mouth, come in a range of dosages (see above). Conceivably, one might very carefully cut up the wafers to taper, but they may be difficult to cut accurately. (I haven't done this and don't know of anyone who has, please let us know if you try this.)

As Scallywag just posted, you may have better results with dry cutting the pills using a digital scale.

Can you get the regular pills (not the wafers) form your doctor?

I have been honest with you guys all along with what's happening so I hope I am not looked down on for deciding to do a 25% reduction following a week of taking pretty much a poison form of Zyprexa.

Yes, you have been honest, and we aren't looking down on you or any other member.

We can only give you the "best practices" form of information and let you take it from there.

You'll get a lot less grief from us, though, if the result in your rapid taper is done with the knowledge that you're taking a risk and you're doing all you can with your non-drug coping skills. 

I came off my drugs rapid taper and cold turkey, but I landed head first into the non-drug coping strategies mindset. 

So know the risks and then try to mitigate the damage. Do keep in mind that you need to be able to handle your symptoms without getting caught back up in the system. 

We wish you the best in whatever method you decide, but we do want you to be safe and to be able to handle the results of your decision.

Just laying in bed thinking how great it is to be heard on this site. For many years my side effects and complaints to my pdoc would be dismissed or explained as something else. 

This is something that is definitely on my gratitude list. 

Yes, this site is definitely a life saver for most of us here. I know I'm eternally grateful. 

You may feel even more empowered by reading the Mad in America website. Lots of survivors there. Here is a list of some of their stories:

https://www.madinamerica.com/category/personal-stories/

Thanks scallywag and Shep.

Shep, the regular 2.5mg tablets from my doctor are the only ones I use. I don't have any wafers at home.

The liquid form of Zyprexa was definitely why i have been very sick since November 5 (posts #124 onwards).

I still have residual pain in the left side of my brain and arm that I didn't have prior to taking the liquid form of Zyprexa.

I am really annoyed that the liquid form made me this sick. This is the reason that I panicked and wanted to go to hospital and later ended up in ER due to the severe pain in the left side of head and burning sensation in arm. I am still experiencing some of this now.

I really hope no permanent damage has been done. I experienced a lot of agony right after taking the oral form of that drug. I am very annoyed!!!

I remember the first night that I took the Zyprexa with this oral solution, I woke up the next day with a very heavy head and my frontal lobe was sore all day and I was very confused. I remember sitting with my girlfriend having breakfast and I couldn't even think because there was that much pain in the front area of my brain.

I don't trust compounding liquids anymore! This is the reason why I decided I'll just cut a quarter of the table off and see how I go.

I have been on the phone with the compounding pharmacy that put it together and they couldn't really advise me on what may have caused this reaction.

What's happening now

I took the 3/4 of 2.5mg tablet last night and the night before. I went to sleep ok last night, but found that I get depressed after taking the Zyprexa. I eventually went to sleep, but did wake up with some anxiety but mostly depression. I continued lying in bed depressed then eventually got up.

I am not 100% confident in my decision to take 3/4 of the tablet. I made this decision after refusing to take anymore of the liquid form that was making me sick and at the same time desperate for some relief.

I will stay on this dose for at least a month and then reassess then. If there are any major issues, then i will just have to go back up to 2.5 and start again.

I have read through the section on using digital scales for measuring out dosages. Does this mean that this procedure will need to to be done every night? Can you make a batch of capsules for the month?

Overall, I'm feeling pretty out of it/dull/flat/depressed. There is still pain in the left side of my head/face and arm. I'm not feeling a 100% cognitively functional and my tolerance for stress is quite low. For e.g. I find that I get quite overwhelmed quickly when reading through some of the information on this site.

In the meantime, my plans are to try to maintain a sleeping routine and regular exercise as well dedicating more time to non-drug coping strategies.

My memory is quite bad too, is this something that gets better after coming off psych meds?

I spoke to the pharmacist who compounded the liquid form of the Zyprexa and he advised that they used a different brand (Sandos?).

He also advised that you can't cut the tablets because the ingredients are not evenly distributed.

So, does this also mean that using a digital scale with the crushed tablet will also be inaccurate because the ingredient is not evenly distributed?

I am confused :blink:

• Moderator Emeritus

Toward the end of the Zyprexa tapering thread, two members have discussed using OraPlus, a commercially available dilution agent, to make their own liquids

The discussion is between members herewego and Evoldnahturt and starts on page 2 of the topic with Alto's post at this link.

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks scallywag for your help and support.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am so sorry you had such a bad reaction to the liquid solution. I wish I hadn't been pushing so many non-drug coping skills and had been paying more attention to that aspect.

You taught me something, Rico. 

I really hope you're feeling better now that you're back to using tablets.

Hi Shep,

Yes, I learned something too. I spoke to the pharmacist who compounded it and he said that they used TWO different types of Zyprexa brands - one of them was Santos (not sure if I spelt it right). When I asked him why he merely said "we just use what's available".

The liquid was extremely toxic, I have never experienced anything like it before. For this reason I have lost faith in compounding pharmacies. This is also the reason why I just cut a quarter of the tablet.

I no longer have the head pains or arm pains.

Last night continued to take the 3/4 of zyprexa by cutting the tablet. I also took 0.5mg of melatonin. I slept ok. I did wake up with my mind a bit anxious and racy, but that settled later.

I'll continue with the current regime and see how I go. If things get out of hand, I guess i'lol have to reinstate and work out a different solution then.

To be honest though Shep, I find the tapering methods described in the zyprexa section very overwhelming. I have read the posts over and over again and still come out a bit confused.

Using a digital scale is not something I see myself being able to maintain in the long term. Cutting the tablet is much easier. I can always cut it into 1/8.

I do feel better though in general since the reduction. I am not going to rush and make anymore. I'll reasssss the situation after a month if things go ok.

I am not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms at the moment. I jus have a lot of things to do and try to get on with my life and not be so focused on drugs and symptoms. I'd like to return to work next year and not just sit at home mulling over the past and getting myself distressed.

Thank you so much for all your help and support. I am so happy when I hear from you and other members along this journey.

I hope you are doing well too.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Rico.

This thread may be useful if you decide to cut your pills for your taper:

How to cut up tablets or pills

And if you have any specific questions about using the scale, please do ask. 

Hopefully, as your symptoms settle down from the reaction to that toxic liquid, it won't feel so overwhelming. This is very hard work when you're so weighed down from being sick.

And I'm so glad you traced your symptoms to the liquid and are doing much better now. 

Please keep us updated. 

Hi all,

I wanted to write a positive note for a change.

Firstly, I am so grateful for all the support I have had on this site. Without your support, I would have ran back to my Dr for more drugs. Thank you xox

Since my initial 25% reduction of the 2.5mg Zyprexa, I have generally felt better. My mind is a little anxious and racey, but I am hoping that it will settle. I need to develop more coping mechanisms for anxiety. I have relied on drugs to do this for far too long a time.

My plan is just to hold at this dose for a month and see how that goes before making anymore tapering decisions.

The suffering of multiple hospitalisations and drugs this year has been pretty bad. However, since coming to this site, I have learnt one main thing. That is, the importance of taking responsibility for my mental health.

For 20 years, I did not have this responsibility. I was led to believe that I was biologically defective and I needed medication for life. I didn't need to "cope" with anything, because there was always a tablet or an adjustment that could be made for me to feel less.

As explained in a previous post, it became so ridiculous that the doctor changed my medication completely just because I had a relationship crisis.

I started to question this model myself after having a serious adverse reaction to two injections of Invega Sustenna in 2014, where I left the hospital in a very bad state and was tormented for months. To this day, I have residual side effects.

I have always held hope of living a life med-free. Deep down I always knew that this was possible. Getting off drugs though is the complete answer - learning to cope with life and listening to the needs to the body are.

Both for me have been hard to do. I have been so used to ringing the doctor for a quick fix. I am pleased to say that it has been a number of weeks since I have called the doctor - the one who told me years ago "zyprexa will protect you from stress".

So now, after losing a good job, facing bankruptcy and dealing with withdrawals, I want to move on. I'd like to one day be free from the resentment I carry towards my doctor and let go of the trauma from the countless hospitalisations where I was treated like a criminal.

In saying this though, I would like to give back somehow through this experience. I still have a long way to go, but these are just preliminary positive thoughts.

It would be nice to see people get help early before they end up poly drugged. I don't know how to effect such a change. The whole mental health system in Australia (and I am guessing everywhere) centres around medication. Also, psychiatrists have no idea at all on how to get people to come off drugs either - especially antipsychotics. It is a culture of disability that is costing the Government a lot of money.

I really wish there was something I could do. When I have been in psych wards, it's always the same people as before. No one is getting better and I am sure, that like me, attempts to withdraw too quickly have led to severe withdrawal symptoms that results in more incarcerations. It is very sad. The authority that mental health professionals have is a joke.

For now, thank you to all the members who have helped me and supported me. Your replies and suggestions mean a lot to me.

I am now focusing more on how to deal with stress, anxiety and sleep - rather than focusing on how to get off medications. I attend a weekly GROW group for mental health and we have some good literature that helps us deal with life.

My favourite quote from there is "take one day at a time". I had always been the type to worry about the past or future or just everything rather than just today. I have been an anxious person since I was very young. I was dropped on my head moments after being born and I have a feeling that is why I find it hard to feel "safe".

Lots of love

Rico

Good morning everyone,

I had a good sleep last night, taking 0.5 melatonin after my meds and doing some reading really helped (I haven't read a book in ages). I also went to church yesterday evening and prayed for healing.

I woke up today feeling much better and positive and I had some dreams too.

This is the first time that I have woken up without any depression or anxiety.

I plan to do some positive things today and get out of the way some of the things that I have been unable to do.

It is so nice to actually sleep as oppose to passing it out in a toxic state as I was last week.

I also spoke to a compounding pharmacist yesterday who said that they can make up tablets to any dose I like using the same brand of Zyprexa that I currently use.

So once I get to a lower dose of Zyprexa, I might use them to really slow down the taper and come off safely. I am concluding that for me, the 25% reduction helped tremendously as I was having an adverse reaction to Zyprexa.

In the past, when I have taken Zyprexa and it was working like it should (i.e. sedating and putting to sleep), a 25% initial reduction would have produced different results.

Thanks everyone for their support and I hope you have a good day / night.

God bless,

Rico

• Moderator Emeritus

Hooray for a night of real sleep!

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks scallywag.

After writing the above post I tried to go back to sleep because I woke up pretty early. I found that I was quite anxious, but ended up falling asleep. As I was falling asleep I felt like I couldn't remember anything or think, it was really weird.

I woke up at 10am with a lot mental anxiety and mind somewhat racing. I started thinking maybe the liquid Zyprexa I had last week has fried my brain or maybe the drop in zyprexa was too much.

Any suggestions please? Should I reinstate to 2.5 or just perservere?

Thanks

Rico

I was a bit panicky when I wrote the last post.

Today I felt pretty anxious and a bit jittery - nothing too extreme, but it was quite persistent.

I also went to the weekly mental health group and just generally felt a bit mentally slow and awkward.

I was worrying that maybe the toxic reaction I had to the liquid zyprexa last week has caused some damage. I really hope not :/

Overall though, my mood is a little bit better. I hope that the awkwardness / slowness is just my body getting used to the new dose of Zyprexa.

Thanks everyone for their support, I hope you are doing well.

Hi Rico,

Hope all is getting better on your latest dose of zyprexa. If I was you, I would stay on the current dose and see how you go over the next week or so. That's just me and what I would do. Perhaps the moderators might have a different approach.

I have a meditation app you might like to download on your phone. It's called 'get some headspace': https://www.headspace.com/headspace-meditation-app

It's a free download and has 10 days trial period to see if you like it. I think that having some relaxing strategies while tapering can only be good. I've only started using the app again recently after a few months break. I used to mediate everyday.

I began to taper my zyprexa last night. I have a bit of brain fog today but nothing else to report. I can handle brain fog and most of the other wd symptoms. It's the anxiety I find the hardest. I haven't been experiencing that for over a week, so I'm happy about that.

Take care and safe journey with your taper.

Lucy

Ps I'd try not to stress about the long term effects zyprexa. You've only been on it for a short time. Plus you need to conserve your energy for the next few months while you're on this taper. Let us know how you go.

Citalopram 40gms - July 2016 (replaced by Effexor)
Valium and tamazapan - July 2016 -prn - (replaced by zyprexa for insomnia)
Zyprexa - since August 2016
Effexor 225mgs - since August 2016
Doses given and then tapering off zyprexa -
5mgs 2weeks/7.5mgs 2weeks/10mgs 2weeks/7.5mgs 3weeks/5mgs 2weeks/ 1.25mgs 3days/0mgs 3days (self managed after advice from psychologists -reinstated after withdrawal symptoms) /2.5mgs 3 weeks/ 1.87 2 weeks/1.25 2 weeks from 22 Nov - 6 Dec/ currently on .625

Currently on: Zyprexa .625mgs from 6 Dec 16

Effexor 225mgs

Thanks Lucy!

I am generally doing ok. I woke up today without much anxiety but I didn't get a great sleep - I kept waking up in the middle of the night.

I have spent a lot of time today thinking about the Zyprexa taper. So far, I think I have handled this last drop ok and I am no longer feeling the neurological symptoms that experienced using the liquid.

My brain doesn't feel "right" though. It's hard to explain actually. I think it's brain fog.

I tried to lie down on the couch to have a nap but found that I couldn't really switch off and sleep. My mind is still anxious, but the anxiety is "soft" and not overwhelming.

My biggest fear is that my brain is damaged and that I will never recover and be able to work again.

I also have a lot of fear about getting off Zyprexa, so I will most probably slow down the taper using a compounding pharmacy that will put together the tablets at the exact doses I need.

Can anyone else relate to not being able to have a nap and switch off? Is this a sign of a damaged brain?

Thanks

Rico

• Moderator Emeritus

Rico, your fear is understandable. It is, however, extremely unlikely that you have experienced any permanent damage. The simplest explanation for your symptoms is withdrawal. I hope that you can let go of this worry and channel your energy toward adding to your coping skills and/or gentle exercise.

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks scallywag. I am going to incorporate a walk in the evening.

I am struggling today. I slept over my girlfriend's place last night and didn't get a good sleep. I woke tired and disoriented.

I had some breakfast and took my Epilim 500mg and Lithium 450mg. I notice that after I take these medications, whether it be the morning or afternoon dose, I feel quite mentally fatigued afterwards and pressure behind my eyes.

I decided to go back to bed and have a sleep. As happened the other day, I couldn't fully switch off and found my mind quite anxious and in a panic state.

I am awake now and feel a bit out of it - just thinking is a struggle at the moment.

I hope this is just withdrawal. My next taper will not be the same as the last at all. I only did this mos recent taper out of frustration from being so ill from the liquid formula last week.

Hang in there Rico - this isn't easy. It's one of the toughest challenges around. The symptoms can be sneaky and can come back with a vengeance.

Having said that , if you are careful it's manageable.

If you taper slowly , you will be fine.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks AliG.

Rico,

When do you plan to make your next cut?

Is your anxiety more psychological than physical, a racing mind etc.?

I am interested to see how a 25% reduction at once turns out.

Thanks

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

Hi jmncrr,

I plan to make the next cut in 3 more weeks' time.

The anxiety was both physical and psychological. I am anxious about a few things in my life. Overall, I do feel better after the cut but I am not settled yet.

I find that I get quite sedated and depressed after taking the zyprexa. I didn't sleep that well either - woke up in the middle of the night to drink water.

There are no overwhelming symptoms at this stage and I think I am still recovering from the toxic reaction I had to the liquid zyprexa a couple of weeks ago.

I doubt my next cut will be the same.

Rico,

Ive been thinking of trying the liquid form of risperidone. I have it, and i just have not used it yet.

What kind of bad reaction did you have to the liquid form of zyprexa?

Did you take your whole dose in liquid form, or just part of it liquid and the rest in tablet?

Thanks

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

Hi Jmncrr,

The liquid form of Zyprexa that I had was compounded for me. I was only taking 0.9ml which equates to 2.25mg of zyprexa, a 10% reduction.

The liquid form was absolutely dreadful. It had a very chemical taste and within 30 min of taking it, I would become very sick. The compounding pharmacy told me that they used two different brands of olanzapine when making it. I am not sure if that was the cause or the suspension agent they used. I was fine after I stopped using it and went back to the tablets.

I don't trust liquid formulas anymore, so I am sticking to the tablets or a compounded capsule made from the tablets that I provide.

Do you have access to a compounding pharmacist that you can provide them with your tablets and they can make up specific doses for you?

I wish you all the best, I have been on risperidone before and it caused me a lot of issues. You will be ok.

Rico

I didn't get a good sleep last night and woke up with pains in the left side of my head. I am extremely fatigued and weak.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give an update.

It's been 9 days since my taper of zyprexa. Initially I did feel a bit better, but recently feel more fatigued and out of it mentally. Today was particularly difficult. I woke up tired and after taking my morning medication (Epilim/Lithium), I lay on the couch half sleeping. I couldn't fully go to sleep but noticed that my mind was fairly anxious.

I am at my sister's place now to spend time with the family and I feel very mentally out of it. I am so tired that having a conversation is exhausting.

Does this all sound like withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks

Rico

• Moderator Emeritus

Feeling out of it and fatigued sound like withdrawal symptoms to me. Remember it can take time for symptoms to settle and stabilize:

How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing

scallywag's Introduction

Yes. It sounds like withdrawal. These symptoms can go on for a while. I still have them . I would try and " carry on " regardless. Live life and push the symptoms to the background , if you can.

I have found that you can't wait for them - you have to move on. Don't dwell.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks scallywag and AliG.

I have another question.

I am currently taking Epilim 500/lithium 450 morning and night.

When I take the morning doses, I become quite fatigued and tired. Should I take them all at night? Should I taper at least the Epilim to get some relief?

I was advised before to focus on the zyprexa taper, but I can't see myself functioning with theee other two meds making me so tired all the time.