SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

I personally know these success stories

reachingforthestars

Dini, is it possible this was Dr Glenmullen,s book you are referring to? If so, even he goes faster than what is recommended on this site. But, he is more helpful than most!!!!

Hi tripled 15:

Thanks for the information.

If you read my signature, you will see that I was nauseous from June-November, 2016. Then I woke up one morning and it was gone! I was so happy.

I got on liquid Lexapro and took it for 2 months and started to taper again in January,2017. I did fine until I got to 7.3, and here came the nausea again. I guess my body doesn't like the 7's. But I'm going to make it through them with the help of Apace41.

If you have any suggestions, I would be happy to take them.

Thanks for listening to me.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Triple yes, in fact it was! I looked up the title and the author is Glennmullen! I read the book but had to chuck it because I agree the process is too fast. This woman agreed on that part, which is why she said she'd hold so long because even his taper method was too fast for her but the info she read in that book led her to do more research on it and she figured out a taper method that fit her needs best and was off completely in 3 years. It sounds long but she said she didn't have much withdrawal during those years so it wasn't noticeable so she was able to have a life while tapering off. She said it went by faster than you'd think, but she is super happy to be off of them altogether now!

moderator note: Book title is The Anti-Depressant Solution

Edited by scallywag
moderator note

January 2014: 25mg Sertraline. 

April 2016: 75mg of Sertraline.

June 2016: 0mg Sertraline.

September 20, 2016: WD

September 22nd: Lexapro 10mg for 3 weeks. Doctor CT’ed me. 

October 2016: Trazodone. (Forgot dose)

October 2016: CT trazodone 

October 2016: Buspirone 30mg 

October 26 2016 - Sertraline was reinstated. Titrated from 12.5mg - 57mg.

March 2018 - stabilized on 57mg. 
March 2023 - No medications.

Well, I was at my dad's today and he is disabled so he has people who come in and take care of him regularly, and one of these ladies used to be on prozac. She developed insulin resistance on it and so her doctor took her off her medication during a 6 week taper. Two months later she got horrifying withdrawals. Akathasia, depression that was so dark, etc. She reinstated and stayed on it for a couple years. She thought she would be on it forever. But she decided to come off of it and happened to read a book, I can't remember the name now though, by a guy who used a slow taper method. (If I get the name of the book and author again I'll post it here later). Anyway, she tapered herself off slowly and has been drug free for 5 years now and doing great. She said what helped most was being patient. She said going lower wasn't bad because she started to do longer holds close to the end. Even when she felt fine she stuck out a hold even longer just to be gentle with herself. She didn't keep her taper on a schedule, she said she did holds even when she didn't have wd symptoms just to make sure her system was ready for the next cut.

A wise course of action. It's good to hear of someone getting off of such crap.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

I would say the year mark is when you start to see shifts but I would say (for some long term users like myself)- 3 years is pretty customary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know two success stories.

One male on tricyclics and Anafranil for depression/OCD through his twenties (on and off), then Luvox (fluvoxamine) for several longish periods of a couple of years before coming off and having extremely successful CBT for his OCD. He's now doing very well. Back to his pre-drugs metabolism of sleeping only 5 hours a night, very energetic, very successful in his work and creative/clear-thinking.

The Luvox made his sleep a lot more, put on a lot of weight, did lessen OCD and anxiety symptoms but he felt that he couldn't really attack his OCD cognitively until he was off the drug. And he finally found a doctor who knew what to do.

One woman who went on an SSRI with second pregnancy I think, some sort of postnatal depression. Became calmer, put on weight. Tried after about 5 or 6 years to come off unsuccessfully, but did a quick taper (skipping days method) a few more years later and had no problems. Told me she was sick of the weight gain, and feeling kind of plateaued, so she tapered off with no WD symptoms. Felt clearer in the mind, lost weight (with exercise), it has been some years now and she seems fine.

In the first case, depressive issues were present from teenage years, and far more chronic. In the woman's case, she had no prior history of issues but I think just became overwhelmed with life changes and expectations of early motherhood.

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

• Altostrata changed the title to I personally know these success stories
  • 2 months later...

I was wondering if there was a thread where I could post others' successes so glad I found this! 

When I was hospitalised a few years ago I became friends with another patient. She was one of the severe cases of depression and attempted suicide in the ward one night. She believed she'd never get better and was on heavy medication fir years. I spoke to her recently for a catch up and it turns out she quit her meds against all doctors orders, went through hell for a few months then found a therapist who really understood her need to get off them. After a year and a half, she said, her life was better than ever. She is working again, met a new partner and is taking care of her daughter full time. 

Another friend told me recently she was on Prozac for six months and came off cold turkey. She felt like hell for a month buthad no symptoms beyond that and is doing well. 

A third friend I met through a meditation center was also on Prozac and felt suicidal for two months, after which she got better. She still has normal ups and downs but works full time and is generally doing good. 

Hope these help! 

2008-2013 - Various meds on and off since age 18 incl. Sertraline, Prozac, Mirtazipine, Abilify. Prescribed for severe OCD.

CT'd several times over these years and reinstated after subsequent psych hospitalisations.

2014-2015 - Clomipramine, quetiapine and Epilum

2015-Jan 2017 - Prozac 40mg (stopped contraceptive pill, most stable period of time)

(Beginning of taper) Jan-October 2017 - Tapered Prozac to zero.

15 Jan 2018 - Reinstated Prozac at 2mg due to acute w/d symptoms

February 2018 - tapered to 1.8mg

May 2018 - reinstated at 5mg due to severe w/d symptoms. 9 month hold, stabilized well at around 6/7 months.

March 2019 - Tapered to 4.9mg

Current supplements: fish oils, probiotic, ashwaganda, colostrum powder, cannabis

2 hours ago, AbbyElfie said:

I was wondering if there was a thread where I could post others' successes so glad I found this! 

When I was hospitalised a few years ago I became friends with another patient. She was one of the severe cases of depression and attempted suicide in the ward one night. She believed she'd never get better and was on heavy medication fir years. I spoke to her recently for a catch up and it turns out she quit her meds against all doctors orders, went through hell for a few months then found a therapist who really understood her need to get off them. After a year and a half, she said, her life was better than ever. She is working again, met a new partner and is taking care of her daughter full time. 

Another friend told me recently she was on Prozac for six months and came off cold turkey. She felt like hell for a month buthad no symptoms beyond that and is doing well. 

A third friend I met through a meditation center was also on Prozac and felt suicidal for two months, after which she got better. She still has normal ups and downs but works full time and is generally doing good. 

Hope these help! 

This proves all the evidence of what these toxic drugs actually do.....which is nothing but make people sick and ill when there was no sickness or illness to begin with.  How many lives have been taken, damaged, impacted by the pseudo science of Psychiatry. 

The big pharma marketing machine, money and doctors own narcissistic attitudes with a god complex thrown in, how do these people sleep at night knowing this, maybe their heads are so far up their own asses they just don't care.

Gotta keep their money counting machines going, their holidays planned, their big houses and mortgages paid and that shiny new BMW cleaned and serviced.

Zoloft: Sometime early in 2014 Three days only. Torture!

Lexapro: Early 2015- Mid 2015 10mg

Lexapro: Mid 2015-March 2017 20mg

Tapered too fast, Withdrawal started through April-June 2017. Told by Doctor that it was rebound anxiety and have now developed MDD

Pristiq: July 2017-October 2017 50mg (total 56 days)

Lexapro: October 2017-October 2017 10mg (6 days)

Lexapro: October 2017-October 2017 20mg (5 days)

COLD TURKEY>>>>>>>>>>>>October 11,2017

@PSVT - yeah, it's a messed up system and difficult not to get angry at the injustice of it all. For me personally, things were complicated because I was actually very unwell before medication, and the drugs did actually pull me out of several dangerous states. However, I have no idea how much they actually helped. I've been told for ten years that I am mentally unwell, and always will be because of my family history etc. It's very hard to realise that I'm not what I thought - I'm still integrating this and still sometimes get a deep panic that they are right and I'm beign crazy by trying to come off medication. What if I am ill etc etc. It triggers deep insecurity but I know I have to try and see beyond it.

So many people are caught up in this belief system, it's no wonder we have so many unwell people in the Western world, believing there is no way out. Thank goodness there is!

2008-2013 - Various meds on and off since age 18 incl. Sertraline, Prozac, Mirtazipine, Abilify. Prescribed for severe OCD.

CT'd several times over these years and reinstated after subsequent psych hospitalisations.

2015-Jan 2017 - Prozac 40mg (stopped contraceptive pill, most stable period of time)

May 2018 - reinstated at 5mg due to severe w/d symptoms. 9 month hold, stabilized well at around 6/7 months.

Current supplements: fish oils, probiotic, ashwaganda, colostrum powder, cannabis

21 hours ago, AbbyElfie said:

Hope these help! 

Yes, it does help to read your post. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• 2 weeks later...

Another 2 success stories to add to the list:

I recently had a Skype session with a woman who does spiritual mentoring/healing for those in crisis after experiencing her own traumatic awakening, as well as personal emotional issues. She was so lovely and intuitive, with a deep, realistic understanding of how the mind works and what we can do to heal individually. She told me she had also taken Prozac for about a year at one point, and stopped without any major issues. She was a tangible reminder of how much possibility is open to each and ever one of us.

The second story is from a guy I have on Facebook but don't really know. He commented on a post I had shared about the dangers of psych drugs, and mentioned that he had been on various antidepressant and antipsychotic medications for 10 years. He stopped all over them and, while he did say he had dealt with emotional issues, he did not deal with any intense withdrawal and was a much better version of himself. He credited cannabis and expanded consciousness to his healing.

Hope these help :)

12 hours ago, AbbyElfie said:

Another 2 success stories to add to the list:

I recently had a Skype session with a woman who does spiritual mentoring/healing for those in crisis after experiencing her own traumatic awakening, as well as personal emotional issues. She was so lovely and intuitive, with a deep, realistic understanding of how the mind works and what we can do to heal individually. She told me she had also taken Prozac for about a year at one point, and stopped without any major issues. She was a tangible reminder of how much possibility is open to each and ever one of us.

The second story is from a guy I have on Facebook but don't really know. He commented on a post I had shared about the dangers of psych drugs, and mentioned that he had been on various antidepressant and antipsychotic medications for 10 years. He stopped all over them and, while he did say he had dealt with emotional issues, he did not deal with any intense withdrawal and was a much better version of himself. He credited cannabis and expanded consciousness to his healing.

Hope these help :)

Not being negative just don't think there best succes stories no drug history could being lucky one came off drugs easily with no problems what I'm saying it they seem to have it very easy in withdrawls ps i really appreciate Ye putting them up doh

Yeah I don't know the drug histories specifically, only that the first said she was on Prozac for a year and the second was on a cocktail of drugs for ten years. Regardless of the particulars, they both managed to stop with minor issues, as did two friends I know personally, although they did have some intense withdrawal for a few months. Not that that is always the case or that many don't have fierce symptoms, it simply means healing is very possible and that the human capacity to do so is far more powerful than we think. It's also a good reminder when we're bogged down with heavy symptoms to know that we might not be stuck like this for any particular length of time, many heal much quicker and the worst cases are on sites like this, because they desperately need the support. So either way, hope it helps us all see a bigger picture :)

Well I'd like to be encouraging. I started tapering Venlafaxine XR 225MG in April. I dropped by 37.5MG every 4 weeks until I reached 112.5 I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms until 112.5 and then they were very mild so now I'm doing the 10% taper (kind of ) recommended on this forum. Now I am not at the end yet but honestly my withdrawal has not been bad at all and I have been on ADs for 25 years or more. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by typing this but I wanted people to know that not everyone has horrible withdrawal symptoms as they are tapering.

Early 1980s 2 mg. vallium prn; Mid-1990s Paxil and 2mg. vallium prn; Somewhere in there Buspar

Early 2000s Sertaline 50 mg. and .25mg Xanax prn 

2008 Sertaline 50 mg but Xanax was increased to .5mg 6 times a day 

2015 Sertaline increased to 100mg. 2 mg. vallium prn and Wellburtrin (only on a few days)

April 2016 Venlafaxine XR 225mg with 50 mg. Zolft  and 10 mg. Vallium 3 times a day as needed

Fall 2017 Venlafaxine upped to 300 mg - 5 mg. Vallium 3 times a day prn; Jan. 2018 Venlafaxine 225mg w/Vallium

April 2018 weaned  to 187.50mg, 150mg, 112.5 mg at 4 to 5 week intervals vallium 3 times a day prn

July 2018 112.5 mg ; July 2018 started SA's 10% guideline w/ 2.5 vallium prn; lost notes  dropped to 89 mg by 10/22; 89 mg 10/29; 10/6 86 mg, 10/13 83 mg; 10/20 - 11/2 updosed to 89mg; 11/3 86 mg; 11/17 80 mg. 11/24 77mg - 12/20 80mg 1/ 20 77 mg venlafaxine; 2/19 75 mg Ven  still taking vallium 2.5 mg morning, after and evening

Simvastatin 40mg. daily with supplements: Magnesium, Omega Fatty Oils, Vitamin D3, Turmeric, Magnesium, 25 mg. to 50 mg. diphendramine for sleep

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 1:44 AM, WantoffVen said:

Well I'd like to be encouraging. I started tapering Venlafaxine XR 225MG in April. I dropped by 37.5MG every 4 weeks until I reached 112.5 I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms until 112.5 and then they were very mild so now I'm doing the 10% taper (kind of ) recommended on this forum. Now I am not at the end yet but honestly my withdrawal has not been bad at all and I have been on ADs for 25 years or more. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by typing this but I wanted people to know that not everyone has horrible withdrawal symptoms as they are tapering.

Thanks for letting us know, This is helpful for many of us here :)

1995 to 1997: different antidepressants at maintenance dosages along with benzos 3 times a day.  

1998 to 2000: Citalopram 20mg + Benzo twice daily.

2001 to 2015: Sertraline 50 mg + Alprazolam (half of 0.25 mg once daily which is next to nothing)

2016 to 2017: Sertraline 50 mg + Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg (NO BENZO)

2017 to 2018: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 50 mg  (NO BENZO)

2018 (Earlier): Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 5 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg x 2 daily (7 weeks on Olanzapine was a disaster, antipsychotics are not for panic disorder)

2018 August : Sertraline 50 mg for 20 days (couldn't take it any longer) + Clonazepam.

2018 Sept. 1st week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg -- 2018 Sept. 2nd week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 12.5mg +Clonazepam 0.25 mg 

2018 November: Clonazepam 0.50 mg at night (for sleep disturbed by tinnitus)

2019 January to now: Clonazepam 0.25 mg at night and 0.25 mg in the morning.

Remember: Going out for a Walk or for a Change does help, it may take a few days or weeks or months for some, but it definitely helps.

Here is Knowledge for you: The more you Know about your sickness the more bad it is for you, so forget about it !

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 10:52 AM, WiggleIt said:

"Getting on with it" sure as h*** hasn't fixed my psych med-induced movement disorder or my facial tics.

@WiggleItI have facial tics also. I developed them in my twenties then attributing them to my body dysmorphia and hyper body awareness . I worked in a few job roles that had a focus on looks and I loved British vogue and studied French film stars mainly because I felt ugly inside but felt drawn to beautify myself so to speak.  was a late bloomer but during my twenties I used to receive complements about my looks. I always had physical focused obsessions from a young age. However, I now believe medication has played a role , as well as trauma. I have these terrible mouth tics and also a skewed neck (this is after years of obession about standing up straight like a ballerina).I now see a possible correlation with my medication use and my tics. I now find it hard to look people in the eye. I am also starting to theories that a lot of my tics and body movements like twisting and swaying  were due to a stressed CNS exacerbated by the drugs plus the trauma thrown on too.  My body is a complete mess these days despite years of the gym and bikram yoga which I actually used to overdo to extremes despite having practically no muscle and low body weight.

Have you written  your story. I'd like to read it. I would have absolutely loved to have ploughed through my symptoms and that was my plan... I hoped I could will myself through somehow but I reacted badly unfortunately, like many of us. It's true it's important not to scare oneself but ppls level of suffering varies profoundly.

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

I'm still plodding away with the 10% taper recommended here. I am having very mild symptoms and some of it is because I am anticipating I should have effects I realized. I've read so many stories I've almost convinced myself somewhere along the line I'll crash and that sounds so stupid doesn't it. So don't be like me - going along really very well - but anticipating.

Early 1980s 2 mg. vallium prn; Mid-1990s Paxil and 2mg. vallium prn; Somewhere in there Buspar

Early 2000s Sertaline 50 mg. and .25mg Xanax prn 

2008 Sertaline 50 mg but Xanax was increased to .5mg 6 times a day 

2015 Sertaline increased to 100mg. 2 mg. vallium prn and Wellburtrin (only on a few days)

April 2016 Venlafaxine XR 225mg with 50 mg. Zolft  and 10 mg. Vallium 3 times a day as needed

Fall 2017 Venlafaxine upped to 300 mg - 5 mg. Vallium 3 times a day prn; Jan. 2018 Venlafaxine 225mg w/Vallium

April 2018 weaned  to 187.50mg, 150mg, 112.5 mg at 4 to 5 week intervals vallium 3 times a day prn

July 2018 112.5 mg ; July 2018 started SA's 10% guideline w/ 2.5 vallium prn; lost notes  dropped to 89 mg by 10/22; 89 mg 10/29; 10/6 86 mg, 10/13 83 mg; 10/20 - 11/2 updosed to 89mg; 11/3 86 mg; 11/17 80 mg. 11/24 77mg - 12/20 80mg 1/ 20 77 mg venlafaxine; 2/19 75 mg Ven  still taking vallium 2.5 mg morning, after and evening

Simvastatin 40mg. daily with supplements: Magnesium, Omega Fatty Oils, Vitamin D3, Turmeric, Magnesium, 25 mg. to 50 mg. diphendramine for sleep

21 hours ago, India said:

@WiggleItI have facial tics also. I developed them in my twenties then attributing them to my body dysmorphia and hyper body awareness . I worked in a few job roles that had a focus on looks and I loved British vogue and studied French film stars mainly because I felt ugly inside but felt drawn to beautify myself so to speak.  was a late bloomer but during my twenties I used to receive complements about my looks. I always had physical focused obsessions from a young age. However, I now believe medication has played a role , as well as trauma. I have these terrible mouth tics and also a skewed neck (this is after years of obession about standing up straight like a ballerina).I now see a possible correlation with my medication use and my tics. I now find it hard to look people in the eye. I am also starting to theories that a lot of my tics and body movements like twisting and swaying  were due to a stressed CNS exacerbated by the drugs plus the trauma thrown on too.  My body is a complete mess these days despite years of the gym and bikram yoga which I actually used to overdo to extremes despite having practically no muscle and low body weight.

Have you written  your story. I'd like to read it. I would have absolutely loved to have ploughed through my symptoms and that was my plan... I hoped I could will myself through somehow but I reacted badly unfortunately, like many of us. It's true it's important not to scare oneself but ppls level of suffering varies profoundly.

I have just read the moderators notes and apologise if this goes off topic. It has taken me a while to get to grips with the site. I'm not sure how to move, or delete but will be mindful of this. I wish to support everyone's recoveries. 

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

• Administrator

Thanks, India. Let's return this topic to reports of success stories.

Would appreciate everyone updating their own Introductions topics if you've had significant symptom changes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2016 at 9:52 PM, WiggleIt said:

In real life, I personally know one complete success story, two partial success stories who did retain some permanent damage, and four people absolutely unable to get off meds bc the withdrawal is too severe when they try.

I am a zero success story as I have been off meds for two years and still suffering from medication-induced movement disorder.

That means, in my experience, only ONE success story out of eight people. Those are bad odds.

Just because people didn't find these boards doesn't mean their withdrawal wasn't serious and real. Frankly, they're lucky if they were only down and out for two to six weeks. No wonder they didn't have to find these boards. I guarantee you if they were still messed up after two years, they would end up here.

"Getting on with it" sure as h*** hasn't fixed my psych med-induced movement disorder or my facial tics.

So, no, the "no choice but to get on with it" theory is incorrect. What those situations REALLY are is LUCKY, and they better count their blessings everyday.

MOD NOTE:  Wiggleit has improved.  I have provided links in the above quoted post.

My sister is actively suicidal right now and believes everything she reads online. I’m trying to find success stories to cheer her on. Had she found this post on her own, she would be dead by morning. This kind of stuff only scares people. Most (if not all) people eventually recover.

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi icerose,

That post is over 2 years old and I believe that WiggleIt has made much progress since then.  And this post.

4 hours ago, icerose87 said:

Most (if not all) people eventually recover.

True.

Sorry it disturbed you so much and we all wish you and your sister well.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

((((icerose))))

Edited by ChessieCat
added additional link re Wiggleit.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

On 2/5/2019 at 7:12 PM, icerose87 said:

MOD NOTE:  Wiggleit has improved.  I have provided links in the above quoted post.

My sister is actively suicidal right now and believes everything she reads online. I’m trying to find success stories to cheer her on. Had she found this post on her own, she would be dead by morning. This kind of stuff only scares people. Most (if not all) people eventually recover.

Dear IceRose,

I'm sorry that you happened upon on of my posts from when I was truly in terrible shape.  That post is a bit over two years old, and I've improved SO much.  One of the things I did during my recovery was print out success stories and underline the most hopeful parts in pink pen.  I've been through almost every physical symptom you've described in your sister, and I've lived to tell about it.  Not only that, but I'm back to having joy in my life, mind, and heart.  Seriously, you wouldn't BELIEVE the things I'm able to do now!  I've now gone to weddings, restaurants, parties... things that were impossible for me once upon a time!!!

While it squeezes my heart that you came across that post, I also have to say that this site was the only place in my life where I could be 100% candid about how bad my WD was—even if it meant I was describing horrors.  What I hope others can see is how completely far I've come, and I hope they know that they will also come far.

Don't let my story be one of the worst here; let it be one of the most hopeful.  Because I promise you that's how me and my family think of my experience: as hopeful and miraculous.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear IceRose,

Please see what I recently replied to another member on this site:

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 5.49.19 AM.png

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

2 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

Dear IceRose,

Please see what I recently replied to another member on this site:

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 5.49.19 AM.png

This is very helpful. Thank you for updating. I can’t find your whole story anywhere. It helps my sister stop contemplating suicide if she reads about people kindling and getting better.  Did you kindle (reinstate during a withdrawal?) or can you tell me about people who did and got better?

• Mentor

@icerose87

Icerose,

I consider myself a success story even though I am not completely off of the meds.  I went cold turkey, then reinstated, then had a much to fast withdrawal after the reinstatement and I had to go back up on the dosage a bit. In short, I did everything one should not do.I was originally on 150mg of Zoloft even though I didn't start my signature until I was at a much lower dosage.  I am now down to 3.25 mg. I went though h*ll and now I am doing great.  There is a good life to be had during the taper process and after withdrawal.  If you are interested in my story you can click on my link to it in my signature below.

Icerose,  As I type this tears are welling up in my eyes. My dear beloved sister was with me throughout this entire journey.  I really don't know what I would have done without her.  There where times I leaned on her so hard I am surprised she didn't get fed up with me and the process, but no she stuck by me.  If your relationship is anything like mine is with my sister just know you are giving her the greatest gift ever. I am so glad you are there for her, but remember to take care of yourself as well. I know this is hard on you too.

Warm wishes,

Rachel

P.S. if you have any questions please feel free to come to my page and ask.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad I found this topic ! It gives me hope !

I also know someone who recovered : a  close friend took Effexor during one year. Then she did a 3months tapper : she suffered from brain zaps, agoraphobia, and dizziness. During one year after tappering, she suffered a lot from agoraphobia. 

And now, 3 years after, she is doing great !

It is not easy for her To understand why I go through such acute WD because she was able To live near normally during her WD. But she is now living a 'normal ' life, and that's great !!

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Another success story. Not me, but a friend of mine....let's call her Paula.

This time last year she cold turkeyed off 20mg Citalopram, obviously NOT recommending this, as she found out.

She was immobile and in bed for a month, and really out of action until end of Jan this year. Then spent another two months being semi functional. In March of this year, she did a very gradual phased return to work. Fully functional since end of August this year, so ten months after cold turkeying. She knows this time frame is actually rather lucky. 

She still struggles but is pretty much able to get up, go to work.Now is working on getting back out and socialising. The process isn't finished, but she is having a realtively 'normal' life. So yes, people do recover. Of course, this is not a recommendation to cold turkey, she knows it was dangerous. But she has made a recovery from something so extreme, which is brilliant.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

4 hours ago, Erell said:

It is not easy for her To understand why I go through such acute WD because she was able To live near normally during her WD. But she is now living a 'normal ' life, and that's great !!

Thank you for posting this story, Erell. Every positive story gives us encouragement that we will heal and be back to ourselves.  I undesrstand your friend's question - why are some of us struggling when she did not have such a difficult time? We are all very different so our physical and emotional responses are different.

A friend of mine had remarkable success with duloxetine - he was off in 4 weeks (taper) and has had similar good fortune with other ADs. He said he will take another one. :) This man acknowledges that some people have a rough time of it (and knows my story in a lot of detail - as does his wife). His brother - on clonazepam for 15 years - has been having a hard time getting off clonazepam. So he knows the variability between cases and is a beacon for the rest of us. 

4 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

Another success story. Not me, but a friend of mine....let's call her Paula.

Here is more incentive for us to go through the difficult (and ongoing) WD symptoms - and affirms that we will recover. Thank you, sunnysideup for the story.

@Guilietta, you're welcome...and also, and how could I forget this one, my dad. 

Was on a cocktail of psych meds between the ages of 40 and 55 many years back; MAOIs, antipsychotics (for a psychosis he never had), valium. Finally, lithium, after a Bipolar misdiagnosis. 15 years of psych abuse. 

He pretty much cold turkeyed off the benzo. 

He had a brief stint of 6 months on prozac in 2008.

Now he is medication free, still suffers from anxiety a bit, but is otherwise ok at the age of 87.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

@sunnysideup69

Uplifting story about your Dad.  Many of us here may have times (a foregone conclusion about the human experience (and their pets!) when anxiety and depression may hinder our dailiy lives. As your Dad (and we all have learned) - that a 'cure' is not in a bottle of medicines!

I imagine that people long prior to advent of these legal drugs managed to cope without these meds.