SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Maybe

Maybe

Great post, PB! So true.

Can it be, that newly grown/upregulated neuroreceptors are just more sensitive to stimuli than old/existing ones?

Very clever, Maybe. This is, in fact, true of new neurons. They're more sensitive. I don't know if it's true of receptors per se, but it might be.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

In some post I read here SSRI drugs were advocated because they would trigger the growth of new neurons. I have no idea whether there is any evidence for this, but let's assume it CAN be true, and that is the reason that AD's do not work until a few weeks taking them and meny people DO experience an improvement of mood and congnition in the first place.

But these "new" neurons do grow in the presence of the SSRI and therefore have no history of functioning without the SSRI. It is just a hypothesis, but COULD it be possible that these "newly grown neurons" become completely disfunctional when the SSRI is removed (IOW, in WD), and become infact ill-functioning uncontrollable "alien" entities which attack their owner brain when WD hits? And that the adaption of these SSRI-grown neurons to normal ones, or even the disintegration of those non-natural neurons is what causes our very long-term suffering?

It is just an idea that occured to me these days :)

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

• Administrator

There's a lot of theory there, Claudius.

While it may be true that neuron growth is seen under the influence of SSRIs, there is no evidence of how capable these manufactured neurons are.

And, while growth may be seen in the hippocampus, the assumption it is responsible for mood change is a theoretical leap.

There is also evidence that withdrawal causes them to die off. Some day when I have time I'll post the papers.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Guess we have to wait until some scientists find out what really happens.

I have another question concerning a weird experience. Whenever I stimulate my cns too much, i do not always get a "feedback" at once. But exactly 3 days later in the evening. When I did the acupuncture session it slowly worsened from day to day and the 3rd was the worst.

For example I went out last Friday to a dance party. I did not dance but the base was so strong I could feel it all over my body and left after maybe 20 minutes to go outside. Saturday and Sunday weren't that good, but yesterday evening was worst again. This is so weird, but I have had it right from the beginning of my wd.

Can anybody relate?

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Maybe,

I totally agree with your last post!!

Sensitised nervous systems from ssri use,

this is a biggie for me too, as i know we are suposed to not charge our

nervous systems too much in wd, but how much is too much?? when we feel

symptoms escalate after the exposure??

Time will tell for me too,

i have 2 daughters getting married this year, first one in july,

that will be approxiamtely 8 weeks after ridding myself of paxil.

Im dreading it, as im certain there will be a pay back - just like you explained.

This darn drug takes so much from us all buddy, you are so not alone really.

If it only took as long to heal from this, as it takes to work when we first start using it,

i for one could handle that no problem!!!!!! and no complaints either lol.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

An after thought here;-

We are also told in wd, that we should live as if:-

meaning we should live as NORMAL people do,

This is a theory that works on anxiety, that is practised by the other site.

Live your life like that of a non anxious person,

and when we try to do, we get hit hard by spontaneous symptoms

that hit us after the event - only harder.

So much conflicting advice, hard to know which path to take.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Sometimes you just cannot hide, even if your cns is charged. I cannot sit at home all day and do nothing waiting for wd to end. And the funny thing is, even doing nothing for too long charges the cns...

But do not assume that you will have problems after you are off the meds. This is not a given. You may be just fine :)

Maybe my developed anxiety is keeping my cns from healing, because it is stressed even though I do not always recognize it?

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hey maybe,

Ive done loads of that hiding away waiting for wd to be over,

that was the 2nd big mistake i made, after taking this pesky drug in the first place.

Thankyou for you so kind words, wouldnt it be lovely to get off

and have minimal issues, that would be a dream for me,

i know its not a given, but there are few that it happens that way for,

but all the same i so wish i was one of those lucky few.

Along with everyone here.

Your right, even hiding away still charges the nervous system, i found that too.

How are you today? what you been up to??

Not very good. I ate a "Milchschnitte" in the morning and made me feel really bad, such a joke.

Digestive problems, dizziness/offbalance, feeling weird, slight pains in the calfs, well, the "normal" symptoms.

Makes working quite hard, even if I sit in front of the computer most of the time...it is hard to concentrate.

If I ever am going to survive this **** i am going to cry tons of happiness tears and then go to a big party and drink a beer :D

This all feels so unbelievable infinite.....

Aww Maybe,

You do know after ads that serotonin settles in the gut??

Likely to be the cause of your digestive issues?? do you not think.

We are all going to survive this my friend, and we will hold the biggest SA party

there has ever been, i promise.

You are going to do just fine.

What needs looking at is the way you handle anxiety?

even when we dont feel ouselves getting anxious, it can still be there.

I never ever suffered anxiety until tapering,

its been an unwanted gift from gsk.

So i do sympathise with you.

And you, along with all of us here,

Earned that beer, enjoy it when it happens,

not if :D

At least I do not have obvious anxiety. I never have the feeling of being afraid of something, like going out etc. I "only" have symptoms that are related to anxiety. So it is more unconscious.

Yes, there is a lot of serotonin in the gut. But I do not know if this is still the main problem more than 20 months out from 4 pills.

Funny thing is, even after drinking water my cns reacts sometimes...

It must be nice not to have that " fear" thing going on,

There are a few of us here, that have that, it does make

doing " normal" things hard sometimes, but i guess, i keep

pushing on through, and learning everyday how to deal with the anxiety.

So, you only took 4 pills????

Then surely this is an adverse reaction???

Rather than withdrawal.

Is there anything you can drink that does not cause

your cns to act up????

Its odd water does that to you??

It may not be anything to do with water though,

it could just be your sensitised nervous system??

One sure thing though,

all of this will go away for us all,

its a definite.

Well, the reaction on water is not too bad and happens very seldom. Mostly when something different already stimulated the system.

Yes, I only took 4 pills and had an adverse reaction (I guess). Had digestive problems and my first ever panic attack on the next morning after taking the 3rd pill. After everything settled, I took the 4th pill in the afternoon resulting in really bad stomach pains on the following day. Dang stupid to take another pill after having a panic attack...

Yes, it may go away, but the question is when? It could be 1, 3 or even 10 years.No one knows...

• Administrator

No, no one knows. Let's figure it will be sooner rather than later.

What was the dosage of the Lexapro pills, Maybe?

(Also, please summarize your history in your signature, you won't keep on having to explain it.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hey Maybe,

At least your now saying it may go away,

Thats brilliant , keep some positivity if you can,

it helps a lot.

And it will go, but im afraid none of us can say when,

it can take a long time, but at least it does happen.

Thats guaranteed according to DR David Healy.

Hope that snippet of information helps a bit.

The dosage was 10mg of Lexapro.

To be honest, I thought that it would be gone much earlier. The longer it goes the more I lose hope. I haven't read too many accounts of people who had such a long experience after a few pills. A doctor from the US, whom I contacted via email, told me that one of his clients dealt with wd 2 years after taking 10 pills. So it does happen, but not very often it seems.

And somehow my digestive problems are very bad again these days. I am only weighing 67kg...7kg under my normal weight.

hi Maybe,

with testimonies i have read, adverse reaction is similar as you had taken 4 years and stopped, withdrawal lasts 2 years or more

i see you are 20 months, it confirms

still one or more months and you will feel well

and bowels problems in withdrawal is classic, all people who stop have, i have too

with 20 months, the worse is behind

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Hya Stan,

Well, I hope so, I just hope so.

I am just glad, that I did not know that it will take that long when it began :D

Though i do not believe that it is solely the chemical disbalance that causes those symptoms. I think a vast part is caused by a hijacked/sensitised (maybe due a side effect of the drugs or in direct correlation to the disbalance) nervous system, that still persists even when the disbalance is sorted out.

For example, in 2010, I felt great in the hospital with only minor symptoms and could even weight lift again. For close to 3 months!!! After release I at once got symptoms due to anxiety that lasted 2 weeks and then vanished with everything else. Felt 100% normal. After the 2 acupuncutre sessions everything got worse again till today. So I guess I overstimulated my cns and it hasn't been able to recover, yet.

Edited by surviving
moved from thread where post was off-topic

from what i experienced and read, acupuncture or not , hospital or not, after three , even 8 or more months, can appear without reason, derealization, heavy weakness, akathisia, or severe shortness of breath, anhedonia, OCD...and for me bowels problems at 24 months (i had akathisia and shortness of breath appearing after months )

i also search each time the reason, a logic explanation, and when better i see there is no logic, only one :time and suffering

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Hey Maybe,

How you doing today buddy!!!!

Thanks for asking, Angie :)

Better than yesterday. Not yet "good", but it's ok. The bad spells mostly last only a few days at the moment and symptoms vary a lot from hour to hour. So even on the bad days I have hours of feeling ok. Just waiting for the first day where I feel completely normal again...that would be so fantastic...

Glad your having a better day buddy,

yeah wd is like that, good mins, lead to good hours, lead to good days,

Keep positive , they are coming your way, and soon, you deserve it.

Out of question, some day in the future, I will be free of this darn wd :)

All the best to you as well and hopefully you will have no prolonged wd after tapering off!

Hi Maybe,

How you been today?

Hope you had a good day.

Hey Angie,

it was ok. Not good, but not bad either.

The digestive system is still troublesome. It seems that whenever I digest something, may cns gets aroused. Just weird.

Hope you had a better day :)

Hi everyone,

Did anyone ever experience some kind of hot flush firing from the spine up to the back of the head? Just experienced it the second time, first was yesterday. I get a bit dizzy then but it only lasts for seconds.

Dang, I am close 20 1/2 months off and a new symptoms comes up. I hope that it will not get worse...

It's very common for the new symptoms to appear even very late into WD. But they're usually not as intense as in early WD. All in all, the new symptoms, their flactuating and their morphing is just a sign we're healing.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

I just hope that it is a sign that my cns tries to re-adjust itself. I feel very uncomfortable and quite anxious right now :(

• Administrator

Well, do what you can to stop worrying and give your CNS a rest, Maybe.

Take a walk? Read a book? Pet a dog?

Yuk, the last night was awful. Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't really move. With every movement my main harmed body parts (neck, digestive system, calfs) were feeling weird und snesitized. I am glad that it always gets better in the mornings, or at least symptoms change.

I will take some long walks on the weekend. Not enough time during the week, because of work. And my cats are far away, sadly enough.

Hi maybe,

How you doing buddy???

How has the last few days been for you?

Hya Angie,

So and so, up and down. During the day symptoms are mostly tolerable getting worse in the evening and during night time. I am just afraid because I had not one symptom free day this year and just read in wikipedia that in extremely rare cases those symptoms may persist indefinitely.

I dont know, but I have the feeling that doing two acupuncture sessions in one week while my cns was still in turmoil was even worse than taking the meds. I am getting afraid again, that I may have made everything much worse with that. Why do my symptoms not get less intense like with other people?

Do I experience an adverse reaction to 4 pills or is it prolonged withdrawl after 4 pills?

I mean that my current wave is not that bad, but it is already going on the whole of May. I mean, did anyone experience 2 or 3 months that were quite fine in mid wd and then it got worse like it did with me?

The longer this wd takes the more I fear that it may take years or never resolve.

Yes, my friend, it's very common to feel much better for 2-3 months and then feel worse.

Your worry about the acupuncture will just evaporate when you feel better. The worry is a symptom of the w/d. I am amazed at the things I worry about when I'm in a bad phase, and how the worry just disappears when I feel better again. You won't even *remember* being worried about all this.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly