Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

• Administrator

So now your doctor wants you to take a 10mg tablet? How are you going to taper from that?

Does Apple Cider Vinegar work when you are trying to go off Prilosec or is it just a gimmick?

I don't know. Stop tapering Prilosec. You need to deal with Lexapro.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

So now your doctor wants you to take a 10mg tablet? How are you going to taper from that?

Does Apple Cider Vinegar work when you are trying to go off Prilosec or is it just a gimmick?

I guess I'll still do the 10% but by my scale. The dr thinks it's the Prilosec that's making me nauseous since I'm tapering. He said to go back up to 3/4 of a tablet and then taper it 10%. He said I must have a touchy stomach.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I'll weigh it and shave 10% off of it. I feel better since taking a whole 10mg Lexapro. It's the Prilosec I'm having stomach issues with.

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Administrator

Frogie, I've asked you perhaps a half-dozen times now: Have your "stomach problems" gotten worse, better, or the same since you reduced your acid blockers?

What do you mean by "stomach problems" this time?

Didn't your nausea start before you took stomach acid blockers, including Prilosec?

If you want to follow your doctor's advice, follow it, but if it doesn't work, you'll have to ask him what to do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Frogie, I've asked you perhaps a half-dozen times now: Have your "stomach problems" gotten worse, better, or the same since you reduced your acid blockers?

Didn't your nausea start before you took stomach acid blockers, including Prilosec?

If you want to follow your doctor's advice, follow it, but if it doesn't work, you'll have to ask him what to do.

I have answered every question you have asked me. The dr thinks that the Prilosec has rebounded acid making me sick to my stomach and suggested I take 3/4 of a pill and taper 10% from there, that I've been on Prilosec for so many years. I don't know. My nausea started when I went from 20 to 10 to 9mg Lexapro, then escalated with the Prilosec. Remember I was tapering both at the same time. You told me to do Prilosec, Lexapro, and then Xanax. I'm becoming very confused. I'm not taking Zantac unless it's needed.

I'm a little nervous to start tapering Lexapro so soon after my meltdown?

• Moderator Emeritus

Please consider keeping notes of your symptoms and the times of your doses. It will be helpful for you, for those of us here trying to assist your troubleshooting, and for your doctor. This post describes what information is important:

Take notes of doses and symptoms

This topic provides list of common symptoms:

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Please consider keeping notes of your symptoms and the times of your doses. It will be helpful for you, for those of us here trying to assist your troubleshooting, and for your doctor. This post describes what information is important:

Take notes of doses and symptoms

This topic provides list of common symptoms:

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

I have notes, not times like you have your example. But I can tell you morning, noon and night after each medication I took.

I just am confused because I tried to taper Lexapro and had a meltdown. Now I'm starting to feel better.

I'm nauseous every morning, just like I've said before. Before I get out of bed, as soon as I open my eyes, I'm nauseous. Just like morning sickness, but I'm not pregnant. Before my feet are out of bed I'm very sick to my stomach. By late morning, I'm better, not as nauseous . I take the Prilosec at lunchtime. I take my Lexapro in the morning and 1mg Xanax morning, noon and before bed. I don't know what else to say. It's like this 7 days a week. I'm really nervous about tapering Lexapro because of the problems I had last week.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's okay that you haven't been keeping notes. Please keep notes on paper for the next few days.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Administrator

Weren't you nauseous before your doctor overdosed you on stomach acid blockers? Isn't that why he prescribed them?

The stomach acid blockers didn't help, isn't that right?

Has your nausea gotten worse since you've reduced the stomach acid blockers?

Yes, at one time I suggested you taper your drugs in a certain order. Since then, you've made lots of changes. We keep on telling you: No more drug changes. But you keep on doing this. No more drug changes means STOP CHANGING YOUR DRUGS.

It now appears to me that Lexapro is making you nauseous. However, I can't get a straight answer out of you: In the WEEKS that you've been reducing your stomach acid blockers, has the nausea gotten worse, gotten better or stayed the same?

I've suggested several times you stop tapering Prilosec, don't change anything, until you can get stabilized on Lexapro. Cutting up the 20mg tablets was not delivering a consistent dose of Lexapro. Now you have 10mg tablets -- DO NOT CUT THEM UP -- and you should be able to stabilize.

I think you're either going to have to make an effort to figure this out or go to your doctor and have him make decisions for you. You can't do both.

It's okay that you haven't been keeping notes. Please keep notes on paper for the next few days.

I have been, but what I told you was my note taking. Sat 10-15

4:30am woke up with rebound acid. Took a Prilosec and went back to bed

6:20am got up ate 1/2 banana. Still had some rebound acid but getting better

7:00am took meds rebound acid gone, but stomach a little upset, I think because of acid.

Weren't you nauseous before your doctor overdosed you on stomach acid blockers? Isn't that why he prescribed them?

Yes, at one time I suggested you taper your drugs in a certain order. Since then, you've made lots of changes. We keep on telling you: No more drug changes. But you keep on doing this. No more drug changes means STOP CHANGING YOUR DRUGS.

It now appears to me that Lexapro is making you nauseous. However, I can't get a straight answer out of you: In the WEEKS that you've been reducing your stomach acid blockers, has the nausea gotten worse, gotten better or stayed the same?

I've suggested several times you stop tapering Prilosec, don't change anything, until you can get stabilized on Lexapro. Cutting up the 20mg tablets was not delivering a consistent dose of Lexapro. Now you have 10mg tablets -- DO NOT CUT THEM UP -- and you should be able to stabilize.

I think you're either going to have to make an effort to figure this out or go to your doctor and have him make decisions for you. You can't do both.

I haven't changed any of my meds. Except cut back on the Prilosec like you told me to. My nausea has been worse in the last few days (maybe 10) since then, but it's rebound acid.

I was cutting my 20mg Lexapro in 1/2. The 1/2's don't weigh the same so the dr gave me 10mg Lexapro. I'm not cutting the Lexapro at all. I want to stabilize more than anyone. But I thought you knew I have been cutting 20mg Lexapro all this time. I went from 20 to 10, before I came to you for help. I have stopped tapering Prilosec like you said. I am back on 20 mg for 3 days now and still having rebound acid, What else would you like me to do? My old dr put me on acid reducers after I had my gallbladder out. I never had reflux.

I haven't changed any of my meds. Except cut back on the Prilosec like you told me to. My nausea has been worse in the last few days (maybe 10) since then, but it's rebound acid.

I was cutting my 20mg Lexapro in 1/2. The 1/2's don't weigh the same so the dr gave me 10mg Lexapro. I'm not cutting the Lexapro at all. I want to stabilize more than anyone. But I thought you knew I have been cutting 20mg Lexapro all this time. I went from 20 to 10, before I came to you for help. I have stopped tapering Prilosec like you said. I am back on 20 mg for 3 days now and still having rebound acid, What else would you like me to do? My old dr put me on acid reducers after I had my gallbladder out. I never had reflux.

I am very sick because of the rebound acid in the morning, which in turn makes me very emotional. It's started like I said about 10days ago, but was doing ok by taking tums so wasn't worried about it. Well, not anymore!!! And my stomach is very bloated. My right shoulder is killing me like it's out of place, is that normal? I was up at 4:30am taking a Prilosec this morning because I was woken up with rebound acid. You were going to tell me if I should take my Prilosec in the morning and Lexapro at night or vice versa, but haven't told me. Should I take my Zantac, I have only taken it twice since tapering Prilosec, it's on an "as needed" basis. The dr also gave me Carafate, but I've only taken it twice also, it makes me very bloated. I am lost! The only thing that's changed is the Lexapro because of cutting the 20's in 1/2 didn't weigh the same, so I'm on 10mg tablets and I have not cut any of them. I open the bottle and take one everyday. I don't want to argue, I lost my therapist, have no friends within 200 miles, my fiancé is working 80 hours a week (harvest), so I sit here waiting for instructions to be better.

• Administrator

Frogie, this is very frustating to me. You still haven't answered my questions.

I am very irritated that you have forced me to waste my time reading your entire topic again.

I am new here as you can see. I need help!!
I'm hoping someone can help me get off 10 mg Lexapro. Every time I try to drop to even 9mg, I end up sick to my stomach. I go back up to 10mg and am still sick to my stomach. I have no other symptoms.

In my profile is all my information, I don't know how to get it to the bottom of this page. I'm not very good on the computer. Sorry

Thanks,
I think I got it figured out.
I was on 10mg Lexapro and dropped to 9mg. It took it about 6-7 days and it was like I had morning sickness (I'm not pregnant). I went back to 10mg on Sat, and am still sick to my stomach.

I'm lucky the only symptoms I've had is horrible nausea like I'm pregnant, which I'm not. I have 2 children and a granddaughter. Like I said the dr gave me zofran for the nausea. Maybe I will try a 10% taper in a couple of weeks and with the zofran I can make it work. Anyone with any ideas I could really use them! Thanks!

When you joined this site on August 24, YOU ALREADY WERE HAVING NAUSEA EVERY MORNING, even though you were on ZOFRAN AND 3 STOMACH ACID BLOCKERS.

THE STOMACH ACID BLOCKERS WERE NOT HELPING THE NAUSEA.

REDUCING THE STOMACH ACID BLOCKERS DID NOT HELP THE NAUSEA.

NOW, HAS YOUR NAUSEA GOTTEN WORSE, BETTER, OR STAYED THE SAME SINCE AUGUST 24?

Yeah my liver is infiltrated because I have been on antidepressants for so many years.

Is this something you've been diagnosed with and seen a hepatologist about?

What are your symptoms of "infiltrated liver"?

Edited to add:

If you're looking for a taper faster than the one you doctor has suggested, I have to tell you that you may have come to the wrong place. We've seen too many people suffer uncomfortable and distressing symptoms from fast "tapers."

Please read: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I have been diagnosed by 2 drs which want me to get off my meds ASAP so my liver will heal. How many withdrawal symptoms am I going to have with the WD that my dr gave me? I have hemangioms and they can't do anything until I get healed.

Thanks...

YOU HAVE A LIVER PROBLEM.

Your doctor, who may very well be an idiot, is trying to treat your liver problem with stomach acid blockers. It does not appear that stomach acid blockers help at all. Increasing the omeprazole is not going to help.

In my opinion, you need a new doctor.

IT'S LIKELY THE LIVER PROBLEM IS CAUSING THE NAUSEA.

THE LEXAPRO MAY BE MAKING YOUR LIVER PROBLEM WORSE.

That is why the liver specialists want you to go off Lexapro. In the meantime, you made your Lexapro tapering situation more difficult by reducing your Lexapro dosage AGAINST OUR ADVICE. Then you got Lexapro withdrawal symptoms again.

Then it emerged that you have been taking an inconsistent dosage of 10mg Lexapro by cutting a 20mg tablet in half. Your doctor, who may very well be an idiot, could have prescribed 10mg tablets a long time ago.

NOW YOU NEED TO STABILIZE ON 10MG LEXAPRO BEFORE TAPERING. STOP CHANGING OMEPRAZOLE.

Your doctor, who may very well be an idiot, recently refused to help you taper by refusing to prescribe you 5mg Lexapro tablets to "take twice a day." Trimming a 10mg tablet is an inexact way to taper. You should know this by reading Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Here's a question we haven't asked you but should have:

DO YOU DRINK ALCOHOL?

Frogie, this is very frustating to me. You still haven't answered my questions.

I am very irritated that you have forced me to waste my time reading your entire topic again.

I am new here as you can see. I need help!!

I'm hoping someone can help me get off 10 mg Lexapro. Every time I try to drop to even 9mg, I end up sick to my stomach. I go back up to 10mg and am still sick to my stomach. I have no other symptoms.

In my profile is all my information, I don't know how to get it to the bottom of this page. I'm not very good on the computer. Sorry

Thanks,

I think I got it figured out.

I was on 10mg Lexapro and dropped to 9mg. It took it about 6-7 days and it was like I had morning sickness (I'm not pregnant). I went back to 10mg on Sat, and am still sick to my stomach.

I'm lucky the only symptoms I've had is horrible nausea like I'm pregnant, which I'm not. I have 2 children and a granddaughter. Like I said the dr gave me zofran for the nausea. Maybe I will try a 10% taper in a couple of weeks and with the zofran I can make it work. Anyone with any ideas I could really use them! Thanks!

When you joined this site on August 24, YOU ALREADY WERE HAVING NAUSEA EVERY MORNING, even though you were on ZOFRAN AND 3 STOMACH ACID BLOCKERS.

THE STOMACH ACID BLOCKERS WERE NOT HELPING THE NAUSEA.

REDUCING THE STOMACH ACID BLOCKERS DID NOT HELP THE NAUSEA.

NOW, HAS YOUR NAUSEA GOTTEN WORSE, BETTER, OR STAYED THE SAME SINCE AUGUST 24?

Yeah my liver is infiltrated because I have been on antidepressants for so many years.

Is this something you've been diagnosed with and seen a hepatologist about?

What are your symptoms of "infiltrated liver"?

Edited to add:

If you're looking for a taper faster than the one you doctor has suggested, I have to tell you that you may have come to the wrong place. We've seen too many people suffer uncomfortable and distressing symptoms from fast "tapers."

Please read: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I have been diagnosed by 2 drs which want me to get off my meds ASAP so my liver will heal. How many withdrawal symptoms am I going to have with the WD that my dr gave me? I have hemangioms and they can't do anything until I get healed.

Thanks...

YOU HAVE A LIVER PROBLEM.

Your doctor, who may very well be an idiot, is trying to treat your liver problem with stomach acid blockers. It does not appear that stomach acid blockers help at all. Increasing the omeprazole is not going to help.

In my opinion, you need a new doctor.

IT'S LIKELY THE LIVER PROBLEM IS CAUSING THE NAUSEA.

THE LEXAPRO MAY BE MAKING YOUR LIVER PROBLEM WORSE.

That is why the liver specialists want you to go off Lexapro. In the meantime, you made your Lexapro tapering situation more difficult by reducing your Lexapro dosage AGAINST OUR ADVICE. Then you got Lexapro withdrawal symptoms again.

Then it emerged that you have been taking an inconsistent dosage of 10mg Lexapro by cutting a 20mg tablet in half. Your doctor, who may very well be an idiot, could have prescribed 10mg tablets a long time ago.

NOW YOU NEED TO STABILIZE ON 10MG LEXAPRO BEFORE TAPERING. STOP CHANGING OMEPRAZOLE.

Your doctor, who may very well be an idiot, recently refused to help you taper by refusing to prescribe you 5mg Lexapro tablets to "take twice a day." Trimming a 10mg tablet is an inexact way to taper. You should know this by reading Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Here's a question we haven't asked you but should have:

DO YOU DRINK ALCOHOL?

The Prilosec and Zantac were helping until I started tapering Prilosec. I only took Zantac "as needed" and when I was taking 40mg Prilosec I was fine. Like I said, my nausea has gotten worse in the last 10 days or so. Some of it could be anxiety, because like I told you, I lost my therapist! But I am having really bad rebound acid. I never went down on my Lexapro except that one time and went right back to the 10mg. I had no idea until recently that the 1/2's were different weights when I was cutting them. I only took zofran if I had to, which was maybe a couple times a month. The only reason my OLD dr put me on Prilosec and Zantac was because I had my gallbladder out. I never had reflux until now trying to come off! I don't know why she put me on it in the 1st place.

Yes you have asked me if I drink alcohol. It's in my signature that I do not drink at all.

I have done everything you have said, stop tapering the Prilosec, I have, I haven't touched the dosage of my Lexapro.

I need to know if I need to take my Prilosec in the morning or night and when to take my Lexapro. I thought I have answered all your questions, but apparently not. Are there any other questions? I will be happy to answer them. I'm doing the best I can with the resources I have in the middle of nowhere with Drs. I completely understand what you are saying about tapering Lexapro. But I have to work with the 10mg, my dr must be an idiot. I can't help it.

I just need help!

• Administrator

How can you say the Prilosec and Zantac were helping if you were complaining of morning nausea on August 24, when you were at the maximum dose of Prilosec?

Isn't the nausea why you signed up on this site?

What do you mean by "acid reflux" today?

I was sick when I joined because I had just tapered down on the lexapro and needed help. Yes I now need help with the nausea

It felt like my stomach was on fire this morning

How can you say the Prilosec and Zantac were helping if you were complaining of morning nausea on August 24, when you were at the maximum dose of Prilosec?

Isn't the nausea why you signed up on this site?

What do you mean by "acid reflux" today?

I signed up for someone to help me taper off my meds

• Administrator

Your three posts on August 24 and 25 say you were suffering morning sickness-like nausea. Isn't that why your doctor prescribed 3 stomach acid blockers plus Zofran?

From your posts here, you have complained of morning nausea almost continuously since August 24, regardless of your stomach acid blocker dosage.

On August 24, how long had you been taking 3 stomach acid blockers plus other drugs for nausea?

Now you say "when I was taking 40mg Prilosec I was fine." If that's true, why were you posting about being nauseous? Was the nausea less severe when you were taking 40mg Prilosec?

What do you mean by "really bad rebound acid"?

Why do you make me repeat my questions? I ask them because I need to know something, I'm not making chit-chat.

I'm not trying to make you repeat yourself. I was on zantac and prilosec like I said when they took my gallbladder out about 10 years ago. Then I went off 20 mg lexapro 6 weeks to 10mg and was very nauseous. That's why the dr put me on Zofran. I don't want to be on any of these meds. I felt better when I was on 20mg lexapro and I tapered way to fast with the Dr's instructions 6 weeks that's when I started getting sick. So he gave me Zofran. I just want to get better. It's probably way too late to go back on 20mg lexapro and start tapering correctly? I don't know what to do anymore I'm tired of being sick all time. In Aug I was only taking the prilosec zantac and Zofran. But Zofran just a few times. I think it was a couple of months ago I got carafate and I've only taken it twice because it makes me so bloated. And then my liver got the hemangioma. I sent my ct scan to a dr in NY and he said I was ok but really should taper off the meds so it will heal properly. You didn't answer my question about my shoulder is it normal to have it hurt like it's out of place. I just want help getting better and hopefully you will

My stomach felt like it was on fire and very nauseous. Yes I felt better on 40mg prilosec the nausea was less severe I'm not trying to make you chit chat I need help and not afraid to admit it

• Administrator

Your main health problem is your bad liver. Many drugs, including omeprazole and escilatopram, are metabolized by the liver.

When you take these drugs, you make your liver work harder. In fact, metabolizing escilatopram may be too much for it. My guess that is the source of your gut distress.

Omeprazole is not a harmless vitamin. It also burdens your liver. Omeprazole (as well as Zantac) interferes with the metabolism of escilatopram two ways: It is metabolized by the same liver enzymes as escilatopram, causing a traffic jam in your liver, and it may cause inconsistent absorption of escilatopram from the gut.

If you want to take care of your liver, you need to reduce your entire drug burden. Carafate is not metabolized by the liver and may be a safer choice for you. However, it could block absorption of escilatopram.

My perspective is this: Messing around with omeprazole is not getting you any closer to going off Lexapro. Plus, from your posts in August, it didn't do anything for the nausea.

(Having been on stomach acid blockers for so long probably means you are deficient in B vitamins, particularly B12, which are necessary for good nervous system functioning.

By the way, you should be careful to take Lexapro at the same time each day, after you finish vomiting.)

Keep changing your drug dosages and you keep changing your drug balance. This is not the stability we recommend for tapering Lexapro.

Your choice.

Be sure to read Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram) and Tips for tapering off stomach acid blockers or PPIs (esomeprazole, lansoprazole, omeprazole) from the beginning.

Ok so how do you help me? I will do what you need me to do. I can't take b vitamins they make me crawl out of my skin. But I can't take this nausea anymore. Please help me!

I have read all of that over and over. I would love if you would write out exactly what you want me to do and I will do it. I will check with you daily and will tell you everything.

• Administrator

I'm not a doctor and I can't tell you what to do, the way a doctor might. You have multiple health problems. I'm not a liver specialist or gastroenterologist. I have no idea what's going on with your shoulder.

I've laid it out for you. You need to take your pick.

Your lack of a gall bladder is another factor in gut distress. Have you been on the restricted gallbladder diet? If not, you need to do this.

Your symptoms may be because your unhappy liver may not be doing its part in contributing bile. You need to ask your doctor if you need to take some kind of bile substitute. Do your own research on this. This kind of support isn't in my job description.

Betaine HCl is a good digestion aid.

I take a digestive aid for that. I'm just needing you to help me get off my meds in the correct order. I PROMISE I won't mess with the dosages or change anything if you will just help me

• Administrator

After a quick look around on Dr. Google, I found the symptoms you report are identical to those of people who are not making enough bile to digest the food they eat.

You can go off your drugs in any order you wish. I can't respond to complaints of nausea and indigestion caused by some other health condition.

So you can't help me in having me go off the drugs in the correct order? I take a digestive enzyme for bile, called Colestipol, because I make too much bile.

I think it is the Prilosec that is causing my stomach sick in the mornings.

As I said before, I PROMISE if you will help me, I won't mess with dosages or tapers and what meds to taper and what order.

I know you are not a dr but I really need help!

• Administrator

If you think the Prilosec is making you sick, why do you want to increase your dosage to 40mg?

My guess is your digestive problems are related to your lack of bile and your liver's inability to produce it. Reducing stomach acid isn't going to fix this -- in fact, normal digestion requires a stomach full of hydrochloric acid.

If you are in great distress from digestive problems, you need to deal with that. Consult Dr. Google. Join forums where people have had gallbladder problems.

You know how to taper Lexapro, what do you need me for?

I need guidance if you would be so kind?

I can take the carafate instead of the Prilosec, since it isn't metabolized in the liver. I'm desperate, my stomach is so upset and on fire, that I would up the Prilosec to make it stop. Which I know is the wrong thing to do.

I can order some Betaine HCI, if you think that would help.

You want me to stop tapering Prilosec, and start tapering Lexapro? 10% per month or longer?

Then resume the Prilosec?

I'm really going to need help on my Xanax. The dr won't give me Valium to WD from Xanax because I've already with drawled from Valium.

I'm in tears most days because I need help with this, and where we live we don't have the best of Drs. I'm doing the best I can with the resources I have.

• Administrator

Taper the Lexapro first. You won't be tapering Xanax for a long time.

I can't tell you what to do about the digestive problems. Since you keep asking me what to do about it, I take it you're not going to solve your problem yourself. You need to see a gastroenterologist and discuss what to do if your liver isn't making enough bile.

Slapping some Prilosec or Carafate or even Betaine HCl on top of this is not going to solve the problem at its root.

Taper the Lexapro first. You won't be tapering Xanax for a long time.

I can't tell you what to do about the digestive problems. Since you keep asking me what to do about it, I take it you're not going to solve your problem yourself. You need to see a gastroenterologist and discuss what to do if your liver isn't making enough bile.

Slapping some Prilosec or Carafate or even Betaine HCl on top of this is not going to solve the problem at its root.

Ok I'll stop the Prilosec taper and start with the Lexapro. Do I start at a 10% taper and go from there?

Like I said I sent my ct scan to a liver dr in NY. He said my liver was fine to just get off the meds. He said it was functioning pretty well, despite all the meds that have gone through it. It's not as infiltrated as the dr here said it was, and for me to take Vitamin E and Milk Thistle to get it going again.

Are you going to be able to help me through this?

I hope so and would be greatful for any advise you can give.

You told me in one of your posts not to cut these 10mg Lexapro. That I need to stabilize. How long do I need to do that before I start to taper then?

I will go see a gasteroligist if that's what needs to be done. I'll just have to drive 200 miles to find one, we don't have one where I live. I thought talking to a NY liver dr would answer your questions after he looked at the ct scan of my liver.

I'm having a lot of anxiety too!

I need help please!

10-16-16

6am took Prilosec. Upset stomach

6:30am took mag, Vit e, Xanax, with water. Ate a banana, still upset stomach.

11:30 am milk thistle, Lexapro. Still upset stomach, but almost lunchtime