• Moderator Emeritus

Let us know how it goes. :) 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Let us know how it goes. :)

Will do. I picked up the first reduced dose, and will start in the morning. Bought a notebook to keep track of withdrawal symptoms. I have a very good friend who wants me to send her a weekly email with a summary of what I'm noticing and she says she will also pay attention to how I am when we are together. 

Also, these drugs are tightly intertwined. Reducing one causes the effects of others to increase, then they need to be reduced to maintain some kind of homeostasis.

This is a quote from Alto from a different thread to someone who was on multiple medications and having heart trouble. But what it made me think about is that since I take two psychotropic medications, it's true for me as well. The medicines are intertwined and reducing one - Duloxetine - will cause Buproprion's effects to increase. I wonder whether I should taper both, alternating months or something to keep things in balance. 

Also, I'm troubled by this drugs.com report that I am at higher risk for a seizure by taking these two meds together. When I asked the compounding pharmacy about interactions, they said their pharmacist's info didn't indicate any interactions. 

Interactions between your selected drugs
Major bupropion  duloxetine

Applies to: bupropion, duloxetine

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with DULoxetine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of DULoxetine, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

• Moderator Emeritus

Mammoth, Reducing the Cymbalta will reduce the interaction effects. After you get a few months of that taper "under your belt," your symptoms (if any) will provide a clue about whether to continue with Cymbalta reductions or to hold Cymbalta and start tapering Wellbutrin.

P.S.  The comment you quoted from Alto was a situation where the person was taking 7 medications that had interaction effects.  Your medication combination is much simpler.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Mammoth, Reducing the Cymbalta will reduce the interaction effects. After you get a few months of that taper "under your belt," your symptoms (if any) will provide a clue about whether to continue with Cymbalta reductions or to hold Cymbalta and start tapering Wellbutrin.

P.S.  The comment you quoted from Alto was a situation where the person was taking 7 medications that had interaction effects.  Your medication combination is much simpler.

Good point. Less Cymbalta will mean reduction in interaction potential. 

Yes, that person's situation was immensely more complicated than mine. Grateful for the relative simplicity of mine.

• Administrator

Edited screen name throughout to protect OP's identity.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Mammoth,

How is your taper going? I hope you are not experiencing too many withdrawal symptoms.

Be well,

MMarie

1991ish-1997ish: Prozac and Clonazepam

1997-2006ish: Effexor and Clonazepam

2006ish-present: Cymbalta and Clonazepam

Provigil/Nuvigil: 2007-2014

"Booster" meds: Zoloft, Wellbutrin (both briefly) and Abilify

Rapidly tapered Abilify (clueless about this process) a year or two ago. Tiny dose, no withdrawals noticed.

Tapered Clonazepam from .5 mg down to .125 mg as of 12/2015. Last cut was .0625 mg. Holding until I'm done with Cymbalta. Maybe. Began tapering Cymbalta in 9/2015 from 90 mg. Began taper @ 5% wkly, lowered to 4% wkly 11/2015 and now at between 1-2.5% wkly.

6/27 22.7 mg (210 beads), 7/4 22.5 mg (208 beads), 7/12 22.1 mg (205 beads) and later that day added back the 3 beads to 22.5 mg, 7/14 updosed to 23 mg (213 beads), 7/16 updosed to 24 mg (219 beads), 7/23 updosed to 30 mg, 10/18/16 30 mg Cymbalta, ~.08 mg Clonazepam, 11/7/16 ~.06 mg Clonazepam, 11/14/16 ~.05 mg Clonazepam

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12043-mmarie-tapering-cymbalta/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Mammoth, just checking in - 

What did you decide to do about your supplements?

How is your taper going?

Did you have any symptoms from a 10% drop?

I'm hoping that you are still able to post here.

I did just a little research on your supplements:

Estrofactors - expensive, not the best game in town:  https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/menopause-supplement-reviews/estrofactor.html  

Deplin - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1328-deplin-the-l-methylfolate-swindle/  (eat your green veggies!)

Melatonin - how much are you taking?  The pills are usually too big.  It is not a sedative, but a trigger, so it is important to use the tiniest dose possible - some here take only .25 mg, with maybe a middle-of-the night .25 mg booster. 

Is it helping?  If not, decrease your dose.  If that doesn't help, discontinue.

I used to take Omega-3, but my nutritionist says that it oxidizes too easily and that it's better to get them from food sources. I don't know - I don't end up eating very much fish.

That depends on what type of fish oil you get.  Please read our Omega-3 fish oil thread to learn more.  Here's another tip:  more expensive is not always better.  Wal-mart and Trader Joes and Costco get high ratings on fish oil.

If it is flavoured (lemon, vanilla) chances are it is to cover up rancidity.  So stick with just plain fish oil.  It really really will help your brain heal.

I took OmegaQuant assay, and found that, with eating salmon 1x a week, "white"fish 1x a week, and 6000 iu of cheap fish and krill oil - I got enough Omega 3's (but still get too many Omega 6's).  Hubby did the same thing - he eats the salmon and whitefish, and then adds in a can of sardines 1x a week +6000 IU of cheap fish oil.  He got the same OmegaQuant score as I did.

As for B6 and B12, you may be able to tolerate them.  You can try them now, to see.  Vit D, too, can be overstimulating.    Some of us get our B12 from eating organic chicken livers.  I'm due for a batch myself.

The "orthomolecular doctors" swear by the B6 (P5P) but some of them say to never take folate (It's in the deplin link I gave you).  

I monitor my B6 by nightmares - too much B6 results in a little too much sleep paralysis - if I have nightmares where I'm feeling trapped or attacked, it's time to decrease the B6.  But my case is different to nearly everyone here, as I never went into withdrawal during my taper.

I hope things are going well for you.  Please let us know how you are, and I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!