worrymiss: I need help with citalopram

worrymiss

Hi guys, new gal here.

I am currently four months off benzos and I'm really questioning my citalopram use. I don't mind the trazodone, I'll get rid of it in time.

I have only been taking citalopram 10 mg for 4 months and I don't want to wait until I'm even more addicted to it to do something but at the same time, I don't want to suffer from akathisia. I have been through this hell twice already and I will NEVER put myself through that again.

The first time was when I quit the benzos 4 months ago and suffered a lot for 2 weeks but since I started citalopram during that time, I have no idea what caused it.

The second time was when I tried to wean off the citalopram by cutting in half after a month (didn't know anything about tapering), became a mess, crying uncontrollably and reinstating by going back to 10mg after 5 days at 5mg.

You know how akathisia is painful and scary so I'm really really really scared to go through it again so I WILL NEVER REINSTATE if I taper citalopram.

I don't mind physical pain. At all. No problem.

I know I should let my CNS heal BUT :

I am 36 and I don't want to be on any more meds if I ever want to get pregnant.

I am currently unemployed, planning to go back to school in january or a few months later so I can suffer now freely, undisturbed :P

I am already suffering from depression, DP/DR and dark thoughts so I'm wondering if I could get worse...

Apart from akathisia, what scares me is crying all the time and upsetting/scaring people around me.

Is there any way that tapering citalopram could be done right now or is it really too much? I'm tired of obsessing about it.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

4 months off klonopin - I've been prescribed Trazodone 50 mg and citalopram 10 mg to help with withdrawal and now I'm stuck with more meds

Currently on :

Trazodone 37.5

Citalopram 10 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi worrymiss  -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You've come to the right place for information about getting off an SSRI like citalopram. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Thanks for completing a signature. Be sure to update it when your dose changes.

How did you come off klonopin? (cold-turkey, taper, other?)

What is withdrawal syndrome
List of symptoms - SSRI & Benzodiazepene withdrawal, benzo information is about 30% of the way down from the top of the page

We and other peer support groups have observed that making small dose cuts (<10%) and allowing enough time between cuts minimizes the risk of withdrawal symptoms.  We generally don't suggest coming off the next drug until stabilized from previous discontinuation. It's impossible to know how your CNS (central nervous system) will respond to dose reductions in another medication, i.e. will your current symptoms of dark thoughts, DP/DR improve/worsen/stay the same.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?
Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Please have a look at the topics I've linked, let us know about your klonopin discontinuation. Please post any questions you have here in you introduction so that all your information stays in one place.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for the useful links.

I made dry cuts from klonopin (2mg - 10 years + and sometimes 3 times a day as prescribed), about 0.5 mg every 2-3 weeks over the course of about 6 months. I jumped at 0.25 on april 22nd.

I am functional, I can drive thousands of miles, tolerate exercise and my sleep is getting better. I'd say I'm at 75%. It's mostly in my head.

4 months off klonopin - I've been prescribed Trazodone 50 mg and citalopram 10 mg to help with withdrawal and now I'm stuck with more meds

Currently on :

Trazodone 37.5

Citalopram 10 mg

Akathisia is for me the worst thing I've been through and I have no intention to risk it BUT I need to get off Celexa. I've been put on it by a doctor who told me it would take my benzo w/d sxs away. Yeah right.

The thing is, my benzo taper ended on april 22nd. I was one week off when I got prescribed the Celexa.What followed were 2 horrible weeks of akathisia.

A month later, I started cutting my celexa in half. I was down to 5 mg for 5 days. When I started crying and feeling too depressed, I reinstated at 10 mg. What followed were another 2 weeks + in hell. Would the akathisia have started anyway because I was off?

Where do you think the akathisia stems from? Being off benzos? Starting Celexa?

I'm confused. Will I get this horrible side effects if I start tapering?

Edited by scallywag
merged from standalone topic in Tapering forum

Currently on :

Trazodone 37.5

Citalopram 10 mg

I got akathisia off of Celexa too. I was tortured in my own skin. The only way to stop it is to get off the offending drug. Don't fall for cogentin or propranolol, they don't work. You have to taper slowly, and I couldn't think straight with akathisia.... you are in a tough situation. Look through tapering threads for help on a slow taper. I am REALLY sorry you are being put through this, and you are in a fragile state after a benzo withdrawal. 

I was on Seroquel from 2008-2016 because Seroquel doesn't cause akathisia (in my case) and all other drugs do.   

I am tapering slowly off Seroquel- got down to 393.75mg, Fall 2016 ... 3% taper still couldn't keep me from hospital. 

Hospital stay switched me to 300 clozapine/clozaril.

Summer 2017: slowly cut and weighed clozapine/clozaril from 300mg to 275mg over 3 months. 

Thank you for your post VitaminB. The akathisia left after a while, that's why I don't know if it has been caused by the celexa or not. I hate that drug, I'm still a bit restless, having dark thoughts I never had before and sweating profusely. I just want to make sure I won't go through this hell again.

I'm so sorry you've had your share of akathisia, it's pure torture.

Currently on :

Trazodone 37.5

Citalopram 10 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

worrymiss - I've moved your post to your Introduction so that your information is in one spot. ;)

The symptoms you experienced were likely the result of the combination of a Celexa dose reduction while still in withdrawal from your benzo taper. You made a large dose reduction, 50%, only one month after your last benzo dose.  A small number of people can do that; most of us can't.  Unfortunately there is no way to know in advance what one individual will experience.

Have you looked at and read the topics I posted, about tapering by no more than 10% and about Celexa?  What questions do you have?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet