monami: off Citalopram

monami

Hi When, how are you doing, I am off Citalopram 10mg for nine months , like you my main symptom is fatigue and not having energy, could you update and say how long does it take the energy level back to normal , I am frustrated and have quited my job for this . Thanks and hope the best for you .Mona

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Mona -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I've created an introduction topic for you and moved your post from When91's topic.  Please post questions about your situation here so that all your information is in one place.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. It's easier to understand what's happened and to help you when you use dates (March 2016) rather than relative time frames (5 months ago).

Please put your withdrawal history in signature

How did you stop the citalopram? Did you

• reduce dose gradually over time
  • skip days
  • alternate between different dosages
    -- or --
  • just stop taking 10 mg, or "cold turkey."

The fatigue and low energy you're feeling are withdrawal symptoms. People who have discontinued citalopram and other similar drugs often report feeling fatigued. You can read about withdrawal symptoms on this topic:
What is withdrawal syndrome

Symptoms tend to come and go, get stronger and then weaken. We call this the "windows and waves" pattern. You can read more about that on this topic:
The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread.  Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears:  select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

Please let us know how you're doing and feel free to ask any questions related to your withdrawal or symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Scallywag, thank you for replying. First I apologize for my English writting it is not my first language. I had panic attacks on January 2015 and I referred to the hospital emergency ,the doctor prescribed citalopram (10mg )and ativan0.5 mg. I took ativan for 1 month and citalopramhot for 11months. I stopped taking citalopram end November 2015.I just stopped it and cold turkey . First 5 month the symptoms were bearable and I did regular walking and exercise every day ,after this time the symptoms popped out suddenly .My symptoms now are : feeling sever fatigue and general weakness, headache,nausea ,mild depression, agarophobia ,dizziness and lightheaded, numbness in hands and feeling paresthesia, crying without any reason ,sensitivity to sounds and noises (sometimes the noise of rubbing a plastic sac scares me).

I am wondering if this low dose of citalopram and short term of getting it makes these sever syptoms? .

Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

monami

Based on your recent post, this is my interpretation of your medication history.

Citalopram

- 10 mg January 2015, prescribed for panic attacks

- stopped cold turkey in Nov. 2015

Ativan

- 0.5 mg January 2015, prescribed for panic attacks

- stopped in February 2015

Sometimes symptoms of withdrawal show up within days of stopping. For other people it can take weeks or months for symptoms to appear.  For more information, read Delayed withdrawal symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet