SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

A great expose of the coming "Personalized Medicine" scam

cinephile

Mickey at 1boringoldman is on a roll. He's ON FIRE. I think his posts are getting better and better because he's studied the corruption for so long now that he's wise to all the usual tactics of big pharma and psychiatry and can snap all the pieces together whenever new BS arises.

And so he does with his newest post on personalized medicine. It's really a breathtaking analysis that makes you stagger in disbelief at how cynical this country really has become.

One thing is for sure: we're WAY past the stage where psychiatry's barn door has been left open and the horse has left. No, now the horse is clear across the country and psychiatry doesn't even bother trying to close the barn door -- in fact, it's blasting off the hinges. If personalized medicine takes off and re-shapes psychiatry into clinical neuroscience, I truly fear for the majority of psych patients who aren't as well informed as we are. They will simply be lost forever in a labyrinth of pseudoscience, pills, and greed, greed, greed.

The takeaway about personalized medicine? Stay away. Stay FAR away.

LINK: http://1boringoldman.com/index.php/2011/10/05/fool-me-twice-2/

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

OK seriously enough already! I just followed a link Mickey put up to a new personalized medicine company called "Genomind" (gee, doesn't sound like a sinister corporation, does it?). Watch the video at the link. That is, if you can. I almost lost my lunch when I realized it was the same deja puke all over again. Yes, folks, you'll see THE SAME overly simplified diagrams of synapses and neurotransmitters "ping-ponging" between them like you've seen in a zillion antidepressant ads. And...(drumroll please), you'll also hear that in some people, depression may be caused by...

LOW SEROTONIN!

Arg! The chemical imbalance theory rises from the grave again! It just won't stay dead (Paging Dr. Pies...Paging Dr. Pies...)! Won't some renegade psychiatrist deliver a final shotgun blast to this theory's head?

Ooh, and look at the psychiatrists who consult for the company. A couple of our homeboys are chillin' there:

Scott T. Aaronson, MD

Maurizio Fava, MD

Allan I. Levey, MD, PhD

Anil Malhotra, MD

Roy H. Perlis, MD, MSc

Stephen M. Stahl, MD, PhD

Alto's new pet peeve is neurogenesis; I think I've found mine -- personalized medicine.

LINK: http://www.genomind.com/videos

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

OK seriously enough already! I just followed a link Mickey put up to a new personalized medicine company called "Genomind" (gee, doesn't sound like a sinister corporation, does it?). Watch the video at the link. That is, if you can. I almost lost my lunch when I realized it was the same deja puke all over again. Yes, folks, you'll see THE SAME overly simplified diagrams of synapses and neurotransmitters "ping-ponging" between them like you've seen in a zillion antidepressant ads. And...(drumroll please), you'll also hear that in some people, depression may be caused by...

LOW SEROTONIN!

Arg! The chemical imbalance theory rises from the grave again! It just won't stay dead (Paging Dr. Pies...Paging Dr. Pies...)! Won't some renegade psychiatrist deliver a final shotgun blast to this theory's head?

Ooh, and look at the psychiatrists who consult for the company. A couple of our homeboys are chillin' there:

Scott T. Aaronson, MD

Maurizio Fava, MD

Allan I. Levey, MD, PhD

Anil Malhotra, MD

Roy H. Perlis, MD, MSc

Stephen M. Stahl, MD, PhD

Alto's new pet peeve is neurogenesis; I think I've found mine -- personalized medicine.

LINK: http://www.genomind.com/videos

WTF?

This is just as much of a scam as the neurotransmitter tests the alternative folks are pushing.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Hi Cine,

We should send this link to Carlat, SteveBMD or Mickey. What do you think?

CS

• Administrator

The sorcerer's apprentices are at it again.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The sorcerer's apprentices are at it again.

Sorry Alto, due to lack of sleep, I am not following you.

CS

Catch me up please.... neurotransmitter tests??? Please tell me this isn't urine testing. I think Charly (Glenmullen?) talks about how NTs levels fluctuate many times thru the day. So, yeah, I can say I'm experiencing a '5HT moment' and then a 'DA surge' 5 minutes later. Just put me in the sun and test me. ;-)

Today is Depression Awareness Day (free testing, WeeeHooo!) in US. Wonder if this 'news' is coinciding by chance??

I really want to stand outside the testing centers and hand out Info/Informed Consent "Prior to Starting Antidepressants, Ask your doctor to tell you the ref range for all neurotransmitters for your age, gender; hormone levels, and where yours fall over several testings..."

Sorry, I digress. Excuse any info I blurt out that is common knowledge to you all.

Anyone aware of docs in SoCal who might take a stand and stick to it? I have a few in mind-- neurologists, endocrinologists, epidemiologists, Preventive Med/Public Health and Consultant Pharmacists. MAYBE 1 or 2 psychiatrists. Judith Orloff, MD, from UCLA, is quite vocal about the DSM (against). Roger WALSH, MD, UCI is INTERESTING! A VERY Jung man.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

cs, I put a comment on 1boringoldman's post -- pharma created a research psychiatry sorcerer's apprentice and they're busy making projects for themselves.

Bar, please post your protest idea in the Taking Action section. It'll just get buried here. Taking Action is tweeted via @survivingads Twitter account.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

cs, I put a comment on 1boringoldman's post -- pharma created a research psychiatry sorcerer's apprentice and they're busy making projects for themselves.

Bar, please post your protest idea in the Taking Action section. It'll just get buried here. Taking Action is tweeted via @survivingads Twitter account.

Thanks Alto, I saw your post and it now makes sense.

Barbara, my state wanted to lock up every one in a psych hospital who may have been a danger in the future after one of those highly publicized incidents. So unfortunately, I don't think there is a psych in my state who would take a stand.

I was told I was lucky to find a psychiatrist who was even willing to cooperate with my tapering even though he obviously opposed my getting off of the meds.

If I wasn't so bleeping tired from lack of sleep, it would be so temping to find one of these places you talk about and put up a protest sign. Then again, maybe it is good thing I don't have the energy to do this:).

CS

I think I speak for all the good folks here when I say that when (if!) the masses get wise to psychiatry, the sh*t's gonna hit the fan, and psychiatry's gonna need a bigger fan.

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

It seems now we, us on this site, have earned our education. We bought lessons in how mental health decisions are made (they're made about money) and we paid for the lessons with our health. We're veterans like veterans of foreign wars.

Imagine we are all retired generals/military commanders warning the others about the potential for a military-industrial-complex to chew through money and people in its unaccountable and insidious ways. Unfortunately, most folks aren't former generals as we are, that to become a former general one must get chewed up by the complex, and lest one be former general, one is blind to the conflicts and parties arranged against them -- and at risk of being chewed up.

I don't know if that makes sense, but when I see doctors drawing attention to this machine, I am glad. But I know the 'complex' is so large and the players so invested, many people may end up buying an education as I have.

Why We Fight, right?

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

The more I read about this the more startling and scary it becomes.

At worst it sounds like it could be a return to worst of Eugenics but with an added profit motive.

I would really like to believe that the majority of health researchers, in whatever field, are out there trying to improve quality of life, but it really does sound as if in the area of mental health, research by those affiliated to psychiatry is often more concerned with the profit levels and power of the drug companies.

I'm sure this may be a problem in other areas of health, but I wonder if because many with mental health problems are at their most vulnerable when they seek help they are seen as easy picking for the get rich quick side of health treatment.

Thanks for keeping drawing my attention to it all of you, (especially CS, Cine and Alto), challenging my perceptions and making me think.

Bright.

Citalopram for 6 months

Since then tapering off over last 4 months

20mg -> 15mg -> 10mg -> 5mg (roughly every 3-4 weeks)

Stayed at 2.5mg for approx 6 weeks

As of 9 Sept 2011 off citalopram

Alex, yes-- definitely why we fight. I hope to get my strength back to be able to contribute to the work you've all been doing so far.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Believe it or not, there are doctors who are horrified by this. I'm trying to contact them and figure out some way to work with them.

There absolutely must be a consumer revolt against pharmapsychiatry.

Alto,

How can I help? Have you heard of the 'Anti Drug Rep' team that was created by Harvard Public Health, I believe? Their ranks are extremely small, but I believe gov funded and all advanced degrees (I did not qualify w only a Bachelor degree). I think their purpose was good, but probably spitting in the wind w/o Big Pharm backing.

There are so many levels of wrong and should be as many possible ways to attack. The movie about baseball recruiting/Billy Beane w Brad Pitt (just out) is interesting in this way.

Who/what group stands to benefit from the truth?

How did benzos come to be known as problematic and especially w such a long process to safely recover? (I haven't read the guideline, but a colleague of hubby once told him it is years long). Since ADs are essentially dealing w same soup of interdependent NTs, it seems to follow that prolonged exposure would create similar problems.

Barb, unboxed

Reporting from Nashville (any prospects at Vandy?)

• Administrator

Yes, why don't you look up Richard Shelton at Vanderbilt and give him a hard time about prolonged withdrawal syndrome?

He knows it exists, but has glossed over it in the many papers he's published (some with Alan Schatzberg and Mauricio Fava). He's the source for the b.s. that withdrawal lasts only a few weeks.

I'd love to hear what he says when confronted with someone suffering from it.

Bar, you should post your great activist ideas, such as your Depression Awareness Day idea, in our Taking Action forum http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/23-taking-action/ First posts in topics are autoposted on Twitter and Facebook.

Are you doing all your posting from a phone?

I have some ideas, will definitely take you up on your offer to find doctors.

I'll look him up, Alto.

Yes, I have been posting from phone. Not ignoring your repost requests, just haven't figured out how to do. Laptop was professionally hacked and I've been hesitant to use. Was advised to get new one w diff chip.

• Administrator

Too bad. Maybe a tablet will do for you?

Don't know where Bartlett is, but you might look up David Allen, MD, Bartlett, Tennessee and give him a shout-out from Altostrata and SurvivingAntidepressants.org. He's one of our Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics. Tapers people off meds but hasn't seen how bad it can be.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy