Tanpoponoko: Wellbutrin

Tanpoponoko

Hello! I am in a bit of sticky situation and I need advice on how to taper off safely.

So I recently moved to Japan to work as an English teacher. I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for about 3 years now, and it works great for me. I was assured that I could get more in Japan, but when I got here I learned that this was a mistake. I cannot get wellbutrin of any kind here at all. My only choice is to taper off and look for a doctor who can prescribe me another antidepressant that is available here, or somehow get it sent to me from America.

I have about a 2 week supply left at this time. I have work at a demanding job starting on Monday. What is the best way to approach this?

Edited by scallywag
tags added
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tanpoponoko and welcome to SA,

It's unfortunate that you were given incorrect advice about the availability of Wellbutrin.

Other members/mods might be able to make suggestions, but I think your best idea would be to contact your own doctor and ask for a prescription and get the drug shipped over to you.  The doctor's surgery may be able to assist with this.

The reason I say to get the original drug is that cold turkey or fast tapering these types of drugs can result in you suffering withdrawal symptoms.  Your brain has adapted to Wellbutrin so changing over to another drug may cause start up issues from the new drug as well as withdrawal from the Wellbutrin.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you for your help and reply! I have contacted my doctor at home, and she did not reply to me so I don't know what to do. :( I counted my pills and I have 11 left. I'm getting a little freaked out.

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you know anyone back home who can contact the surgery for you, maybe in person?  Did you get your prescription filled at the same chemist most of the time?  You could maybe contact them and they may be able to get in contact with her.

What dosage are you taking?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I got my parents to get the last refill from the US and send to me, so 30 more are coming my way!

Im on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg once a day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that's really great news.

I suggest that you organise a new script as soon as you can because it's amazing how quickly the time goes.  If you do it straight away then you won't have to go through the issues and stress like you have this time.

I'm going to give you the information about tapering so that you know about it if you decide to go off your drug:

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

These helped me to understand SA's recommended 10% taper of the previous dose followed by a 4-6 week hold to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

And good luck with the new job!!!