Sign in to follow this  
Terry4949

Bacopa or Water Hyssop supplement

Terry4949

Has anyone tried bacopa supplement , it comes in tablet , liquid drops or you can actually use the plant its self , they have been studies on this plant and they have found no harming or side affects by taking it , it has some good healing properties , helping the brain restore and look after its self , many people have used it to withdraw from benzos , and opiates claiming to have found it very useful , I know it may be different for people in protracted withdrawel and I know that supplements that have helped people are well documented on here , I'm just curious as to wether any s/a members had tried it , I do not take any supplements at the moment and I am going to try it to see if I notice any difference

scallywag

Terry, where did you read about bacopa?  Could you post a link?

Terry4949

sorry scallywag , I cannot supply a link I was on a forum for lyrica withdrawel and someone posted the link up on there but I can't find it now , I'm not sure who put the link up , I will google it and see if I can find it ,

scallywag

Terry, I did a bit of searching about Bacopa also known as Water Hyssop.  It's a neuroactive plant substance. Personally I wouldn't take it while dealing with symptoms of psych drug withdrawal.

Area1255

Bacopa Monnieri is primarily a plant used for its nootropic properties, that is, it aids in memory functions.

It acts by...

• Increasing serotonin production [1] [2].
  • Increasing acetylcholine levels [3].
  • Antagonizing serotonin 6 (5-HT6) receptors [4].
  • Protecting the brain thereby acting as a neuroprotective agent [5].
  • Increasing antioxidant enzymes [6] [7].

Here are some information pages for you @OP.

1. https://examine.com/supplements/bacopa-monnieri/
  2. https://area1255.blogspot.com/2015/10/natural-treatments-for-alzheimers.html
  3. https://area1255.blogspot.com/2016/08/list-of-natural-herbal-ssris-what-are.html

**With that being said, there are *contradictions* with Bacopa Monnieri, due to its influences on serotonin production it should not be used in combination or conjunction with other serotonin-promoting therapies and should not be used under any circumstances with SSRI's.**

Some people experience nausea whilst taking it, and others find it makes them dizzy, or ''too tranquil''.

As with anything consult your Physician prior to use. Determination should be made after strict analysis and overview of ones case history and mental health status.

Tootsieroll

Sorry to resurrect this post but I am also looking for information on this.  Also interested in gotu kola.  My only issue with Bacopa is that it can possibly mimic estrogen receptors.  Terry, did you take the plunge and try it?

Altostrata

Please note that nootropics are very popular among people who either like to experiment with gray-market drugs. These are not people whose nervous systems have become sensitized to drugs.

If your nervous system has been sensitized by psychiatric drug withdrawal or adverse effects, you will want to be very, very careful with anything that's called a nootropic.

mickde1
Posted (edited)

Anyone had any experience with Bacopa Monnieri

Hi all this herb, Bacopa Monnieri has been used in India and Asia for thousands  years  has  anyone had any experience with using   Bacopa Monnieri with  easing withdrawal symptoms and not exacerbating them  a little snippet as follows .Go to this link for more information  https://selfhacked.com/blog/bacopa-monnieri-4/?fbclid=IwAR2-thXeLnUGZQAQb8zqgBbNyT4NPOnXcomEgG8FB5qLS-xvNa-zHbKgL6g

Bacopa monnieri reduced stress and depression in 2 small trials on 71 people. It also lowered the stress hormone cortisol [25, 26].

In a rat study, bacopa reduced memory loss caused by both acute and chronic stress. It also prevented symptoms of anxiety and depression in mice [27, 28, 29, 30].

Stress produces changes in blood and brain chemistry: in the blood, cortisol levels rise; in the brain, noradrenaline levels rise and serotonin and dopamine levels fall. In one rat study, bacopa normalized all of these changes [31].

Two small clinical trials and some animal research cannot be considered sufficient evidence to back the use of bacopa to combat stress and depression. Larger, more robust clinical trials are required.

Bacopa may reduce stress and depression by normalizing neurotransmitter levels and preventing oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain according to limited evidence.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

lucidity

I found it extremely helpful for a time, but the acetylcholine increase eventually disrupted my already severely disrupted sleep, so I had to stop.  I still use it occasionally for anxiety.  Happily, I experienced no withdrawal even though it affects GABA -- and I have tolerance/withdrawal to about everything that messes with GABA, even niacin (due to brain damage from abrupt benzo withdrawal, I'm sure)

Gotu Kola is another worth looking into.  I remember the combination of bacopa with this was even more powerful against anxiety, and depression a bit too.  This one did give me a bit of withdrawal, but I think bacopa was enough to eliminate most of it, and it didn't last long

mickde1

Thanks for the feedback