Bacopa or Water Hyssop supplement

Terry4949

Has anyone tried bacopa supplement , it comes in tablet , liquid drops or you can actually use the plant its self , they have been studies on this plant and they have found no harming or side affects by taking it , it has some good healing properties , helping the brain restore and look after its self , many people have used it to withdraw from benzos , and opiates claiming to have found it very useful , I know it may be different for people in protracted withdrawel and I know that supplements that have helped people are well documented on here , I'm just curious as to wether any s/a members had tried it , I do not take any supplements at the moment and I am going to try it to see if I notice any difference

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• Moderator Emeritus

Terry, where did you read about bacopa?  Could you post a link?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

sorry scallywag , I cannot supply a link I was on a forum for lyrica withdrawel and someone posted the link up on there but I can't find it now , I'm not sure who put the link up , I will google it and see if I can find it ,

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• Moderator Emeritus

Terry, I did a bit of searching about Bacopa also known as Water Hyssop.  It's a neuroactive plant substance. Personally I wouldn't take it while dealing with symptoms of psych drug withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Bacopa Monnieri is primarily a plant used for its nootropic properties, that is, it aids in memory functions.

It acts by...

• Increasing serotonin production [1] [2].
  • Increasing acetylcholine levels [3].
  • Antagonizing serotonin 6 (5-HT6) receptors [4].
  • Protecting the brain thereby acting as a neuroprotective agent [5].
  • Increasing antioxidant enzymes [6] [7].

Here are some information pages for you @OP.

1. https://examine.com/supplements/bacopa-monnieri/
  2. https://area1255.blogspot.com/2015/10/natural-treatments-for-alzheimers.html
  3. https://area1255.blogspot.com/2016/08/list-of-natural-herbal-ssris-what-are.html

**With that being said, there are *contradictions* with Bacopa Monnieri, due to its influences on serotonin production it should not be used in combination or conjunction with other serotonin-promoting therapies and should not be used under any circumstances with SSRI's.**

Some people experience nausea whilst taking it, and others find it makes them dizzy, or ''too tranquil''.

As with anything consult your Physician prior to use. Determination should be made after strict analysis and overview of ones case history and mental health status.

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this post but I am also looking for information on this.  Also interested in gotu kola.  My only issue with Bacopa is that it can possibly mimic estrogen receptors.  Terry, did you take the plunge and try it?

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• Administrator

Please note that nootropics are very popular among people who either like to experiment with gray-market drugs. These are not people whose nervous systems have become sensitized to drugs.

If your nervous system has been sensitized by psychiatric drug withdrawal or adverse effects, you will want to be very, very careful with anything that's called a nootropic.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 years later...

Anyone had any experience with Bacopa Monnieri

Hi all this herb, Bacopa Monnieri has been used in India and Asia for thousands  years  has  anyone had any experience with using   Bacopa Monnieri with  easing withdrawal symptoms and not exacerbating them  a little snippet as follows .Go to this link for more information  https://selfhacked.com/blog/bacopa-monnieri-4/?fbclid=IwAR2-thXeLnUGZQAQb8zqgBbNyT4NPOnXcomEgG8FB5qLS-xvNa-zHbKgL6g

Bacopa monnieri reduced stress and depression in 2 small trials on 71 people. It also lowered the stress hormone cortisol [25, 26].

In a rat study, bacopa reduced memory loss caused by both acute and chronic stress. It also prevented symptoms of anxiety and depression in mice [27, 28, 29, 30].

Stress produces changes in blood and brain chemistry: in the blood, cortisol levels rise; in the brain, noradrenaline levels rise and serotonin and dopamine levels fall. In one rat study, bacopa normalized all of these changes [31].

Two small clinical trials and some animal research cannot be considered sufficient evidence to back the use of bacopa to combat stress and depression. Larger, more robust clinical trials are required.

Bacopa may reduce stress and depression by normalizing neurotransmitter levels and preventing oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain according to limited evidence.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

I've been medication free for 65 months and a half months as posted of May 30th 2021 , stopped   med's December 14th 2015,  history  20 years on  Prozac 80mg & Moclobemide 150 mg  per day,  stopped  Moclobemide sometime in 2012 then about a year later lowered Prozac  dose to 20mg  per day, then changed to Paroxetine, then change to a Mirtazapine,  then change to Lexapro,  then changed to Brintellix,  then changed to Edronax  all at 10mgs or less  over a period of about  year,   Edronax tapered 4mg to 2mg over  10 weeks, 2 mg for 8 weeks 1 mg for 10 weeks  stopped all meds completely 14 December 2015  3 months later all HELL broke loose 

18 Jan 2019 reinstated Prozac  .25 mg then ceased 8/8/20

I found it extremely helpful for a time, but the acetylcholine increase eventually disrupted my already severely disrupted sleep, so I had to stop.  I still use it occasionally for anxiety.  Happily, I experienced no withdrawal even though it affects GABA -- and I have tolerance/withdrawal to about everything that messes with GABA, even niacin (due to brain damage from abrupt benzo withdrawal, I'm sure)

Gotu Kola is another worth looking into.  I remember the combination of bacopa with this was even more powerful against anxiety, and depression a bit too.  This one did give me a bit of withdrawal, but I think bacopa was enough to eliminate most of it, and it didn't last long

1997-2019 Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Serzone, Wellbutrin, Amitryptiline, Mirtazapine, Lexapro (mostly, 10-20mg)

Jan 16-Feb 2019 Fast tapered Lexapro after spontaneous kundalini syndrome 

Feb-Jul Used various herbs to deal with severe anxiety (bacopa, gotu kola)

Sept 2019 Developed histamine intolerance and daily panic

Currently taking high DHA fish oil, magnesium.  Occasionally l-ornithine, l-lysine, l-glycine, melatonin for sleep.  Dayvigo for sleep, and l-thp or seroquel (haven't settled on dose) for sleep when in sleep deprivation crisis

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback

I've been medication free for 65 months and a half months as posted of May 30th 2021 , stopped   med's December 14th 2015,  history  20 years on  Prozac 80mg & Moclobemide 150 mg  per day,  stopped  Moclobemide sometime in 2012 then about a year later lowered Prozac  dose to 20mg  per day, then changed to Paroxetine, then change to a Mirtazapine,  then change to Lexapro,  then changed to Brintellix,  then changed to Edronax  all at 10mgs or less  over a period of about  year,   Edronax tapered 4mg to 2mg over  10 weeks, 2 mg for 8 weeks 1 mg for 10 weeks  stopped all meds completely 14 December 2015  3 months later all HELL broke loose 

18 Jan 2019 reinstated Prozac  .25 mg then ceased 8/8/20

• 5 months later...

Well, now even bacopa gives me withdrawal (1-3 days), so I no longer use it 

1997-2019 Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Serzone, Wellbutrin, Amitryptiline, Mirtazapine, Lexapro (mostly, 10-20mg)

Jan 16-Feb 2019 Fast tapered Lexapro after spontaneous kundalini syndrome 

Feb-Jul Used various herbs to deal with severe anxiety (bacopa, gotu kola)

Sept 2019 Developed histamine intolerance and daily panic

Currently taking high DHA fish oil, magnesium.  Occasionally l-ornithine, l-lysine, l-glycine, melatonin for sleep.  Dayvigo for sleep, and l-thp or seroquel (haven't settled on dose) for sleep when in sleep deprivation crisis

I take Bacopa (post-withdrawal).  I would describe the effect as calming but maybe a bit demotivating.  Very subtle.  It's supposed to improve memory.  Haven't noticed a big difference one way or the other.  Can upset your stomach.  And it's expensive...

On 9/27/2016 at 12:35 PM, Altostrata said:

Please note that nootropics are very popular among people who either like to experiment with gray-market drugs. These are not people whose nervous systems have become sensitized to drugs.

If your nervous system has been sensitized by psychiatric drug withdrawal or adverse effects, you will want to be very, very careful with anything that's called a nootropic.

What is the "gray market?"  My understanding is that in the U.S., a substance can be on the controlled substance schedule, or not.  Bacopa monnieri isn't scheduled.  It's a legal herb with a history in eastern medicine going back thousands of years.  Like chamomile or feverfew in the West.

I agree with your thoughts urging caution with supplements while tapering.

Previously - Escitalopram ("Lexapro"): 03 - 05/2018 - 10mg // 05/2018 - 12/2019 - monthly hyperbolic dose reduction to 0.

I am not a medical doctor.  Always consult a qualified medical professional before taking any substance.

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is older, but I wanted to chime in that I found Bacopa Monnieri to be extremely helpful as well. I do not tolerate fish oil, but I do tolerate Bacopa. I am more prone to anxiety as opposed to depression though. Bacopa can cause some anhedonia to some. I felt the effects immediately and noticed it helped sleep.

2012-2015 Sertraline (Zoloft) 100 mg
2015-2017 Sertraline 50 mg, Bupropion XL (Wellbutrin) 150 mg
2018 April - Sept Sertraline 100mg
2018 Sept - Dec Sertraline 50mg, Bupropion XL 150 mg
2019 May - August Escitalopram 5mg
2019 Sept - November Trintellix 10mg
At Zero November 8, 2019
May 24 2021 Citalopram 10mg (Hospitalized)
June 17 2021 Citalopram 5mg (Adverse effects)
July 6 2021 Citalopram Zero (Quick taper due to bad results)
Nov 7 2021 Fluoxetine (Prozac) 5mg (only used a few days)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy