Katy2104 - Escitalopram taper after valium

Katy2104

I have recently decided to taper off escitalopram as I want to be med free. 29 months ago I finished a valium taper (6mg for 2 years) and am still getting over this. I want to see if coming off the SSRI will help but am doing it really slowly as I'm so sensitive. I would just like some advice.

I have been on 10mg for nearly 4 years and currently I am dissolving the tab in 60ml of water and taking out 0.1ml daily. I'm on day 3 and really nervous, however the valium damaged my CNS and I'm still healing.

Thank you

Edited by scallywag
moved 4 posts from Lexapro topic, tags added

I found this app that is free on my phone (I have an android). It really helps, it's called "Calm". I journal a lot that helps, telling myself to not be nervous, and for some reason that helps. I also take Xanax. Maybe you should wait a little longer before trying to taper because of the Valium and your CNS. I was tapering my Lexapro and Prilosec at the same time and had to stop the Lexapro. The Lexapro did make me nervous and nausea. I'm tapering the Prilosec 1st. I did a really stupid thing and went from 20mg to 10mg Lexapro in 6 weeks and really messed myself up. Maybe a natural store would have something you could take. I know there is a powder called Calm that is supposed to be good. I hope I helped even a little.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank you. you have helped and I think you are right. i'm going to give it more time. The stress right now is too much with the benzo WD

That's the advise they gave me on here and it's been great. But would love to keep in contact with you :)

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Katy -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

It's good to hear that you've waited over 2 years since your Valium taper to start reducing escitalopram, and that you are moving cautiously with those reductions.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. Please put your withdrawal history in signature

Some questions for you:

• Valium:
    What was your Valium dose before you started to taper it?
    How long did it take you to reach 0 mg?

• Escitalopram:
    Were you taking the full dose of Lexapro as a liquid before you started the dose reduction?
    Are you removing an additional 0.1 ml Lexapro solution each day, such that on day 3 you removed 0.3 ml and by day 8 you'll remove 0.8 ml?
    Or are you removing exactly 0.1 each day, thereby taking the same dose each day?

If you are making daily dose reductions, please read our topics about slow gradual tapers:
3KIS: Keep it slow. Keep it simple. Keep it stable.
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You may have already seen and read this topic. I'll leave it here for your reference anyway:
Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)  

You may want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread. Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears: select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

Have a look at the topics I've posted and come back here to ask your questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet