SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hello guys, really nice to find this forum :)

I was put involuntarily into a psychiatric clinic 3 months ago.

I was diagnosed mentally healthy without any major mental illness.I have some mild depression with some stress, which i never told the doctors.

But during my "imprisonment" there i took risperdal 2 mg for 14 days and 4mg for 2 days.

Since i got out of there, i started reading  a lot about this drug and its short and long term effects and got very worried.

So what can happen if a  person (who just has a little depression) takes this drug for this period of time and could it have made any "damage" to my brain?

Thank you in advance for any answers, i'll make sure to read and answer other people's stories too!

phoenix

Risperdal 2mg for 14 days + 4mg for 2 days during my involuntary imprisonment on a psych hospital.

Started taking on june10th until june 25.

Never taken any other drugs prior or after this incident.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi phoenix,

Welcome to SA.  I will leave the answering of your questions to another mod, but wanted to welcome you.

Have you taken or are you taking any other drugs?  So that we have all the details could you put your details in your signature.  The instructions for doing that are here:  Please put your History in Signature.  Details of the last 12-18 months and a summary of anything prior please.  Please include all drugs, dates and doses.  Thank you.

This is your Intro/Update topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

No i've never taken any other drugs prior or after my imprisonment on the hospital.

The doctors never told me what this drug really does.Since i got out i started reading a lot about risperidone and its catastrophic effects on people and got very scared.I've never had a psychotic episode neither i am bipolar, i just have depression alongside with some stress.

I am really worried what impact this anti-psychotic drug may have done on me since there was no particular reason for me to take it.

Is this period of time and the dosage considered a lot of usage?

Risperdal 2mg for 14 days + 4mg for 2 days during my involuntary imprisonment on a psych hospital.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi phoenix

Thank you for clarifying your situation and completing your signature.  Would you please just add the date you started the drug?  Thank you.

Just a couple of questions which might help the other mods respond to your original question/s?

Did you have any side effects whilst actually taking risperdal?

Are you experiencing any withdrawal symptoms since stopping risperdal?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I started taking it on june 10th and last day was june 26, so it's been 2,5 months since then.

While i was taking it, my head was  heavy and i used to sleep a lot more hours in the night.On the 4mg dose i took for 2 days i could barely stand.

Before the hospital i was experiencing pain in my shoulders and my back due to stress, and now after taking the drug all the stress pain has gone in my head and pressure in my eyes.

Are those 16 days (and this dosage) considered a lot of time using this drug?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the information on the dates.  Could you please add to your signature:  "I started taking it on june 10th and last day was june 26" so it is easy for us to see?  Thank you.

"Before the hospital i was experiencing pain in my shoulders and my back due to stress, and now after taking the drug all the stress pain has gone in my head and pressure in my eyes."

Sorry, but I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding what you have written.

Are you now getting pain in your head and pressure in your eyes?   OR   Has the pain gone?

I had stress pain in my shoulders and my back for many months before the hospital.

Since i began taking risperdal the stress-pain was bigger in my head and my eyes and no the pain still exists.

I would like to describe it as if the pain, due to stress, "moved" to another part of my body.But i don't that's a withdrawal symptom cause i already had stress long before i took this drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Phoenix - 

If you have experienced any symptoms or side effects from the drug, you were on it for a very short time, and should start getting better by now.

Yes, there are changes that these drugs make to the brain - but the brain is neuroplastic and can re-adjust.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1160-brain-remodeling/

Healing from Antidepressants: The Power of Neuroplasticity

There are a number of studies which show that short term use is nowhere near as harmful as long term use.  I have a feeling that the articles you've been reading are about long term use of more than 6 months - 2 years.  I've known people on this drug for over 5 years, and you can heal from that, too.

It's very unusual to have an involuntary psych hospitalisation without some sort of behaviour that "got you caught."  Usually it is a public behaviour that is unusual or aggressive that scares someone into getting you hauled in to the psych hospital.  I'm not asking you what it is, but it would be good for you to think about how that happened, so that you can prevent it from happening again.

Unfortunately, a psych event like this has stigma associated with it, and the next time something intensely emotional happens, or public behaviour which scares others - they will look at your record, and psych hospital will be the first port of call.  We all need to learn to manage our behaviour in ways to keep from "getting caught" by the system.

Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

It sounds like you are doing very well off of the risperdal, and would like to keep it that way.

Do you have any symptoms to report, now that you've been off the drug for 5-6 weeks?  Are you sleeping well?  Do you have any residual emotional numbness?  Any physical sensations?

Do I think it is permanent?  No!  Do I think you can get better?  Yes!  But some of that depends on what you choose to do with your life and behaviour at this point.  Are you in danger of "getting caught" again?

Welcome to SA!  Please, feel free to ask your questions!  You can use this thread (click "follow" in the upper right hand part of the page, and you can get an email anytime someone posts here) to track your progress, and journal about your journey away from psychiatry.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hey JanCarol thanks for your answer.

As i said above i still have stress but i dont think that's a withdrawal symptom cause i was experiencing stress long before i took risperdal.

Except since i took it the stress-pain moved to another part of my body (head and pressure in my eyes)

My forced hospitalisation was pretty funny: it was not an unusual public behavior, I became socially isolated last few months and had a lot of disputes with my mother in the house, and it was my mother (yes my own mother...) who got me imprisoned.

I was diagnosed with no mental illness and my behavior there was excellent.Even my doctor there told me in the end that if my mother decides to do that again he will prevent it (lol).

But during my stay there i had to take this drug,And i am worried if this dosage of risperdal for this period of time will have an impact on me taking also into account that there was no particular reason for me to take it.

Well it seems not many people are using/used risperidone here.After all the site is called surviving AD not AP.. :P

For members who know about anti-psychotics, is the dosage and the time period i took riserdal considered enough to have made a significant negative effect on me?

Thank you

Phoenix.  The brain is very neuroplastic and can regenerate extensively. I'm sure you will be fine. As a comparison, I was on antidepressants for twenty years and I'm healing after 2 and a bit years. 

I'm sure you can heal after 15 days. It is not a long time on drugs. Have a read through this and it might help to dispel some fears.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2761-neuroplasticity-and-limbic-retraining/ 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hey Ali, thanks for your answer

Unfortunately the case with antispychotics is a bit different.There are many examples of people (some of them in this forum) who were exposed to such drugs for only a couple of months and have never recovered since.

By any means, i'm not saying that i am in a worse spot than you, that you were on ADs for small lifetime, i'm just saying that antispychotics are much more severe and you don't have to be a long-time user to be permanently affected by them.

• Moderator Emeritus

phoenix -- it's challenging to balance what others have posted and keeping a sense of hope for oneself.  There are at least 2  moderators here who are successfully recovering from AP exposure in long term poly-drugging.  Keep in mind that we often don't hear back from many people who recover -- they want to leave that part of their lives in the past.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hey scallywag, if you read my previous post carefully you will see that i tried to do exaclty the opposite.NOT trying to challenge.

I simply wanted to point out that antispychotics are ,by general admittance, more severe drugs than ADs.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I only took risperidone for about a week and I still feel like ****. Even worse now 4 months later than in the beginning when I first quit. However, in your case, I think you will be fine since it's been a while since you've taken the drug and you haven't experienced any emotional or cognitive problems yet.Remember that our bpdiea are all different. Enjoy life as much as you can, watch your body closely, and take very good care of yourself physically and mentally. In my case, I don't believe that my symproms should be getting worse this far down the road after I took such a small dose for such a short time. I think I have an underlying health issue that's preventing me from recovering and/or could be making me worse. I'm goung going to the doc soon.

May 2016 One shot of of haloperidol (amount unknown), 1 dose of seroquel (amount unknown),1unkniwn dose of risperidone followed by 3 doses at 1mg, 2 day period of no meds, 1 dose at 1mg again, 1 at .25, then 1 at .5. Cold turkey quit after a total of 7 doses. Experiencing insomnia, loss of libido, cognitive impairment, apathy, and lethargy

Btw my post was intended to ease your stress about it abd let you know that I genuinely think you wil be fine. Don't think that you will end up in my situation or in anyone else on this forum who used that drug. Count it as a learning experience, continue to watch your body for any wierd changes, keep calm, and carry on :)

May 2016 One shot of of haloperidol (amount unknown), 1 dose of seroquel (amount unknown),1unkniwn dose of risperidone followed by 3 doses at 1mg, 2 day period of no meds, 1 dose at 1mg again, 1 at .25, then 1 at .5. Cold turkey quit after a total of 7 doses. Experiencing insomnia, loss of libido, cognitive impairment, apathy, and lethargy

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I beleive that the drug (like every drug) makes an underlying problem that we already have bigger.

I'm 3 months off now and my anxiety is really bad, especially when i think about all the things that have happened to me the last year.

Do you have anything to reccomend to battle anxiety (especially social anxiety) except the usual "work out, eat healthy" which i am already doing?

God i wish i was never forced to take this poison :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi phoenix,

Have you tried Magnesium?  It's one of the supplements that SA recommends.  The other one is Omega-3 Fish Oil.  If you do try any supplements, only start one at a time and and take a small dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Phoenix. Chessie has given you some great ideas. Just adding to that - I have found exercise to be a great anxiety reliever. I know you mentioned that already but I'm wondering what form of exercise you are implementing ?

If you are doing the usual Cardio, it might not be helping you . Sometimes, it can have the opposite effect.  Have you tried Yoga / Tai Chi / QiGong ? Sometimes, the gentler forms of movement can be more helpful in withdrawal particularly if it's " joyful movement ". Dance is great.  Meditation can be extremely beneficial, also.

Magnesium baths, scented candles, music, gardening, painting, coloring, computer games, talking, walking in the sun and / or any other form of distraction or pleasure often works well. Some of these are my favorites. You will hopefully find what works for you. 

It's important that you cultivate these non- drug modalities for the future. 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Yeah Ali that's true i'm only doing cardio (i am jogging in the mornings). I'll try meditation although i'm not sure how it will go cause i'm very edgy.

Thank you for the other advise, seems pretty solid.It's pretty funny how anxiety-depression works: it's like it forcibly pushes you to constantly make negative thoughts and "seek" for situations that make you sad.

Also what do you guys think about TMS/CES therapy?I heard it helps a lot of people but i want to know (i learned my lesson) if there are any bad side effects/problems to worry about

thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

To find existing discussions on SA use a search engine like google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic.

Here are links to discussions on SA:

tms-transcranial-magnetic-stimulation

alpha-stim-fisher-wallace-sota-biotuner-pons-and-similar-devices

• 4 weeks later...

welcome. i hate to sound negative, but this drug actually has ruined many peoples lives. sometimes they give it to children and they grow breasts along with a killed libido. a lot of people report emotional numbess. 

risperdal kicked my ass, which is why i even made an account on this website. i took the drug for a couple weeks, daily pills and weekly injections....it killed my libido for a while (still not fully recovered), caused me fatigue to the extent that i can't have a good workout anymore even though i use to pump weights 6 days a week minimum, i had workout addiction and it stopped.  and honestly, i'm more depressed than i have ever been. 

to cope with it i listen to a lot of music and attempt to workout even though i'm literally like 75% less energetic after my withdrawal from the drug. it's been 9 months and i'm still not fully recovered. doctors won't believe one thing i tell them, so they suggested anti depressants, of course lol.

you'll find a decent amount of risperdal stories on this website.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

I am still taking risperidone and tapering it currently. I would never cold turkey risperidone, because the withdrawal is hell, and long lasting.

You can expect a lengthy recovery since you didn't taper off.

Its not going to kill you, for you have to be on it for 20 + years at a relatively high dose to start to see long term effects.

It can raise your cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose levels, but this is rare. TD is dose dependent and also rare.

Anti psychotics are some of the most widely prescribed medications on the on the drug market, just behind statins and drugs for diabetes.

They do have long term effects though, which is one of the reasons i choose to taper off, along with side effects.

Good Luck

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

• 1 month later...

Update: things are very rough at the moment.

The first few months after my traumatic experience i stayed mostly at home, so i didnt have to cope with any outside stress.

Now that i started going out more and socializing and trying to get my life back i realise my withdrawal effects (kinda like Charlie browns story)

Since last month i experience severe sexual dysfunction, anhedonia and emotional anaesthesia.My moring erections are long gone, i cant have an erection without manual help and even then it's not looking good at all.

I address it to withdrawal plus stress-anxiety from going back out to regain my life, but this is unacceptable.I cant be sexually impotent everytime i am stressed.

I'll give it some time, start a super healthy diet, quit smoking, begin a daily workout but if things don't change in the next year then it's game over for me...

I know i sound selfish but this is non negotiable for me, i'm just too young to have permanent PSSD.

I heard some people who have recovered from PSSD using detox supplements, do you know anything about this?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry that risperdal has affected you so dramatically.  Eating well and quitting smoking are great things to do to support your recovery from the brief exposure to risperidone.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Is there such a thing as "recovery" to PSSD though scally? A lot of people report about it being permanent through time..

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know. As I understand it, there is little conclusive research about causes, treatments, or prognosis for PSSD. :angry::mad:

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 month later...

Any PSSD survivors from antipsychotics want to chime in and offer any advice? I'm in a very bad state right now..

• 7 months later...

MOD NOTE:  Please see following post about the risk of supplements

hey phoenix try vitamine b complex , l-arginin and macca. i had pssd from risperdal for almost 2 years and now im healthy again!

Edited by ChessieCat
Added Mod Note

On Risperdal 6 mg a day from february to june

Now on Abilify 20mg Depakine ?mg and seroquel 200 mg

I would like to point out a couple of things about the above recommendations.  Many people taking ADs or in ADWD can not tolerate increased amounts of B vitamins as they severely increase the side effects and  WD symptoms caused by the drugs.  We only recommend supplementing with them after a doctors diagnosis of deficiency has been made.  The amino acid l-arginin can be used by "healthy" men to treat Erectile Dysfunction  with limited success.  PSSD and ED are not the same thing.  And lastly Macca,  this herb has no scientific basis for its claims in this area.  The only "positive" information is provided by companies selling it.  A major red flag in its viability as a treatment.  SA can not and will not agree with these recommendations.

Hi Nico--  in the future please refrain from making direct recommendations for treatments.  Talking about personal experience is acceptable, but directly recommending medications and supplements is against SA policies.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Helping is fine, it's the way it's done that we have to be careful with.  To directly recommend a medication opens the person and SA up to a huge amount of legal problems. Especially if the medication is prescription only or an illegal street drug (it's happened several times).   But talking about personal experience doesn't. So something along the lines of "I had really good success with...." is okay, but "you should take....." isn't.  It's all part of the fine line SA has to walk to keep from getting shut down.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking