Macadamia: Zoloft taper - when to finally quit?

Macadamia

I've tried that in the past. It's hard on my back. I injured my back pretty badly in February - took 5 weeks to recuperate. I've been doing maintenance stretches since then which is helpful. 

We did an experiment of putting an inch and a half or so books under the bed legs at the head of the bed, and I took a nap. It's a little weird, but doable I think. My BF slides out of bed if you raise things too high.

late 1990's - Xanax for anxiety. tapered off successfully
2001 to Dec. 2010 – Zoloft 150mg (for anxiety)
Dec. 2010 – too fast one month taper off Zoloft
Aug. 2011 – horrible crash - reinstating Zoloft, taking clonazepam
Dec. 2011 – back on 150 mg Zoloft, tapering off clonazepam
Oct. 2012 Starting taper #2 - 125 mg Zoloft

July 2017 - 6.8 mg Zoloft - taper has been going well with only minor occasional symptoms

Sept 2017 - horrible crash - reinstating Zoloft, taking clonazepam
Jun 2018 - tapered off clonazepam, stable on 100mg Zoloft

Jan 2019 - stable on 100mg Zoloft. not trying any more tapers until I have completed chelating out mercury with the Cutler protocol. 

I talked to my doc yesterday because the Gaviscon, while somewhat helpful, is not cutting it. I'm supposed to add Pepcid AC and report back in two weeks. This will hopefully help get ahead of the reflux. Feeling very weak. My family is helping with food etc. The first half of the day sucks, then thankfully the second half is better. 

July 2017 - 6.8 mg Zoloft - taper has been going well with only minor occasional symptoms

Jan 2019 - stable on 100mg Zoloft. not trying any more tapers until I have completed chelating out mercury with the Cutler protocol. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 31/08/2017 at 4:51 AM, Macadamia said:

My BF slides out of bed if you raise things too high

This gave my a giggle!  Dose he stay asleep and find himself on the floor and wonders what happened?  I'm only joking.  I realise that the situation behind this isn't funny.

Solution:  He could sleep with a harness on connected to the bed head.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for the little laugh. He slides down so that his feet are hanging in the air. 

The Pepcid seems to be kicking in a little today. Things are a little better, though I'm not out of the woods yet. Still have anxiety, issues with tv, noise, apneas, hot flashes, trouble sleeping, low energy, etc. I got help with breakfast again to conserve energy. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Macadamia, good to hear the gaviscon has helped over the last few days.  It's always good news when something we do helps rather than aggravates our symptoms.  It sounds like you are heading in the right direction so I would try and remain as patient as you can.  While we are all different, when I destabilized at the beginning of the year, it took me a couple of months to re-stabilized and three months before I could restart my taper.  You are already six week in so I have a feeling that you will start to see improvement soon.  The OCD seems to be very common in withdrawal and the only thing we can do is realize that it is a withdrawal symptom and change the channel by distracting ourselves with something else.  

Withdrawal sucks, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, so all we can do is try and make things more comfortable as we carry on with patience and grace for ourselves throughout this unpredictable journey.

Just in case you haven't already seen these links, have a look, you may find something that helps calm your symptoms and move you forward towards stabilization.  Best of luck.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Brain Remodelling

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization
Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Thanks for the info. I'm having trouble concentrating for long.

I've had a lot of CBT with 2 therapists. One specialized in OCD. The takeaway from that which resonated with me was "don't take the thoughts seriously". 

I am using EFT, Healing Touch Therapy, prayer, journaling, coloring pictures, playing guitar (especially slow calm music), going outside for a bit when I can. Leaning on my BF and sister for support. Earplugs are essential for noise sensitivity. 

My sister is musical enough to play ukulele while I play guitar. I'm showing her some tips on playing.

I can get on the computer twice a day for short periods to distract myself. I try to limit it to calm stuff. 

Found that a hot water bottle over my stomach can calm spasms from reflux. 

Most tv is not good, but I'm re-listening to an audio book I liked last time through this, which was Anne of Green Gables. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Looks like you've got some excellent tools in your coping toolbox and are making good use of them. :)

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is worried about me, just a quick note to say I am still alive. I am reinstating Zoloft and will be at 100mg in a few days. I'm feeling a lot better, but still not quite up to snuff. I don't think I will be able to get off this drug unless I can fix the underlying ME/CFS. For people who are generally healthy, it may be a different situation.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I got an automated message to come back for a visit and let everyone know how I'm doing (or something to that effect).

I've been back on 100mg of Zoloft for a year. I've gone from a horrible crash of being near bedridden and needing help taking a shower, to my "sick normal" which is mostly housebound. I've tapered off Clonazepam successfully. In general, I feel decent as long as I pace myself and don't over do things. I am doing well within the limitations of the ME/CFS. 

I still agree with my statement that I won't be able to get off this drug until I fix the underlying problem of the ME/CFS. I believe that the same problem that causes my ME/CFS is also causing my anxiety/OCD. 

I believe that the underlying problem for both for me is mercury toxicity.  I am doing the Andrew Hall Cutler mercury chelation protocol to remove the mercury. It's still early days, but I've made a bit of progress both physically and mentally. I looked back at my symptom journal and noticed I used to be on 150mg Zoloft. Now 100mg is working fine.

Just FYI, there are many people with mental health issues at the Cutler Facebook forum, and many of them are getting better. 

Good luck to everyone on here with their mental health. 

• Administrator

Good to hear, Macadamia. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I forgot to mention, the wake-ups and rapid heartbeats during sleep I was complaining about turned out be genuine sleep apnea. I got a CPAP and things are much better with sleep. I actually wake up feeling well rested. Imagine that! :-)

I got a Phillips Respironics Dreamwear mask and a Resmed auto CPAP with humidifier. The equipment is so much more comfortable and user friendly nowadays than it used to be. The mask is very minimal and comfortable, and the machine adjusts the amount of air and humidity needed on the fly. 

I will try and stop back and let you all know how I'm doing from time to time, assuming I keep getting reminders to do so. 

Thanks for everyone's support on here. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all, 
I thought I would give you an update. An interesting thing happened. I was chelating and having mixed results - a few things improved, but some other things got worse.

I had a dentist at the Cutler group look at my bitewing xrays. It turns out there was still a speck of mercury in my gum, which is not good. No wonder I was having mixed results. I had my dentist remove the speck, and also had my crown removed to check under that (you can't see through metal/porcelain crowns with an xray). I got more xrays to make sure everything was clear, which it was. 

Here's the interesting part - I was still having a bit of an issue with some mild OCD death thoughts in the evening. Three days after I got the speck out, I noticed they were GONE. That was about a month ago and they remain gone. I have also noticed a few other small improvements in the physical realm. 

I'll be able to resume chelation when some DMSA I ordered comes in. I'm expecting that things will go smoother this time. 

• 2 months later...

Hello Macadamia! 
Just saying hello. Fellow ME/CFS sufferer here, thinking about starting the Cutler protocol (but haven´t done a hair test yet - but next week at the dentist to get my bite wing x-rays). Sadly it seems I cannot taper further, cause it makes my insomnia unbearable, which in turn worsens my ME. Would love to hear how you´re doing with chelation. Right now I am almost hoping (crazy, I know) I got heavy metals, cause it offers hope for improvement.

Lexapro

since 2003 on-off 10 mg

Since 2013: 5 mg

2018 October 30       4.5 mg

2018 November 28   4.0 mg

2019 January 4          3.6 mg

Slow taper until:

2019 May 30              3.08 mg
2021 Feb 03              2.666 mg

Other medications and supplements: LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone)

Hello @starryskies

Here's an update on me - I've done 2 rounds of DMSA after the speck removal so far. I've noticed continued improvement in that if I do something physical, the post exertional malaise is lighter than I expected. Also I'm feeling more strength in my legs and can walk faster. Previously, at the grocery store, 85 year old ladies would be faster than me. Now I'm winning the "race" - lol. I also noticed this morning that where my inner forearms used to be lumpy if you rubbed your fingers on them, now they're smooth. I think it was some kind of lymph thing. Not sure. 

So I'm feel like I'm going in a positive direction, and I'm excited to do more rounds. 

If you've ever had amalgam fillings, and you have ME/CFS and mental health issues, I would say the odds are you have mercury. Or at least it's something to try to rule in or out. There are many people like us at the Cutler forums. 

• 4 months later...

I've finished 6 rounds of DMSA. I've had longstanding delayed sleep phase issue (like decades). All of sudden, without any effort on my part, I started waking up an hour earlier than normal. With the time change, now I'm waking up about 9am. This is pretty much of a miracle. 

I had a very interesting visit with my psychiatric nurse practitioner. There was a medical student sitting in, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Anyway, my NP asked what my good doc had me working on as far as my ME/CFS. I brought up that I was chelating out mercury. She asked about me trying to taper off Zoloft again (I was warned by her and my good doc to NEVER EVER try it again).

Somehow now it seems that if the chelation goes well, and I'm better physically from the ME/CFS, then I might be able to try another taper off Zoloft. Both would be giant miracles if they ever do happen. I was surprised how open she seemed to chelation, which is pretty out there for most medical people (and regular people too). 

• 11 months later...

Hey there  Macadamia how are you doing? 

In Jan 2011 started Lexapro 10 mg after 10 minutes consultation with doctor telling him I felt anxious in confined spaces and had an anxiety attack on plane and underground. Remained on that dosage until Sept 2014. Tapered following a doctor's schedule on 2.5 mg drops every three weeks. Once stopped I developed severe withdrawals. Three weeks of Prozac beginning of Oct 2014 but had adverse reaction and stopped CT. Protracted withdrawals since. Supp now - magnesium, fish oil, turmeric, vit D, melatonin (but recently it's made me depressed), castus vitex capsule with ginger, Withania, Vit E, zinc, Lutein for PMS.

Hi, and thanks for checking in on me.

I'm still doing the Cutler chelation protocol and having some small, but very interesting results. I've done 27 rounds. I'm doing ALA for mercury and arsenic, and DMSA once a month for lead. 

I've had improvements in leg strength and balance, and am able to stand longer. I've been able to keep up with washing dishes on a consistent basis, which is new. When I bring the garbage cans up the driveway, it no longer feels like all the energy is sucking out of my legs and body with each step. 

I've had improvements in mental health (continued lessening of OCD death thoughts, though those can increase a bit on round , then decrease afterwards). Improvements in chemical sensitivities. I used a Sharpie marker for 20 minutes with no symptoms, which is like a miracle. Improvements in EMF sensitivity - I can use an infrared clicker with almost no symptoms. 

I'm currently struggling with tolerating magnesium, so my sleep has been bad for a month or so, as my feet will twitch and wake me up all night long. So I've had to take a bit of break. I have a new form of magnesium I just started, and I think this one will be good (magnesium malate). When I start getting some good sleep, then I will get back to chelating again.

With improvements in both mental and physical health that I've never had before, I feel cautiously optimistic that maybe I can get back to a normal kind of life one day. That would be a true miracle. 

• 1 year later...

Just popping back in to make an update on my progress with chelation. I'm on round #47. I'm still having progress in the same areas I mentioned before.

I've improved from 25% to 30% on Bell's Disability Scale (a modified disability scale for ME/CFS). This is more or less of a miracle, as I've been at 25% of normal for about 15 years. I was worse than that the first 5 years. I would still classify myself as mostly housebound, but things are a little easier to manage. 

As far as mental health, the OCD death thoughts during/after a chelation round seem to have turned into a vague worry about time passing too fast, which is milder than what I was experiencing previously. The round before the last one, I had a mood swing feeling depressed about the Kentucky tornado victims. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for continuing to provide an update.

I am glad that some things seem to be improving for you.