jimmy555: Citalopram CT, require some help

jimmy555

Hi all was on citalopram 4 to 5 years then can off too quickly and suffered ba withdrawal ,been off around a year and still feel miserable  was prescribed sertraline and been on for two days but am at a crossroads and feel I dont want to be drug dependent . Looking for advice really ,read som scare stories about permanent damage. Is its best to just stay off and will I eventually feel better ? Thanks

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Citalipram 2010 top 2105 10mg a day ,tapered off for 3 month still seemed to have withdrawal.

Went back on Citalopram for one month in Sept 2015 taper off more slowly

Sept 2016 prescribed sertraline ,been on for two days 50mg

• Moderator Emeritus

jimmy -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. Please put your withdrawal history in signature

Please put the date of your last dose of citalopram in your signature. If you can't recall the exact date, something like "early July 2016" or "Mid-April 2016" is sufficient.

When you say you came off citalopram too fast, what do you mean: Did you stop suddenly from your previous dose? If not a "cold turkey" stop, please let us know a little bit more about how you tapered.

Here's information about citalopram:
Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

It's helpful to keep notes of your symptoms on paper. You'll find some ideas in this thread:
Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

Lots of people recover fully after going through withdrawal from SSRIs. Please have a look at the Success Stories forum.

When we get more information from you, we'll be able to provide better information and suggestions for you to consider.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Many thanks yes stopped white abruptly over a year ago was on 10mg citalopram for about 4 years  then when back on for a month at a higher dose then tapered .Been off a year but felt lousy all the time now been prescribed sertralind 50mg been on two days but not sure if I should carry on with it.

Citalipram 2010 top 2105 10mg a day ,tapered off for 3 month still seemed to have withdrawal.

Basically do people recover seen the videos on website giving very glum news 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi jimmy,

yes people do recover, but after a CT or a too fast taper, it can unfortunately take a long time, not for everyone, but for a significant minority of people it can take months or even years. This is why we strongly recommend slow careful tapering when wanting to stop these kinds of drugs. We advise reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose per month.

See:  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Something isn't clear to me. If you took Citalopram again for one month this time last year and then tapered more slowly, I'm assuming that taper would have lasted at least 6 months? How did you taper the second time in Sept 2015? When did you last take Citalopram?

If you are still experiencing withdrawal symptoms from stopping Citalopram too fast, I would rather have seen you try reinstatement of a small amount of that, than starting a new drug, especially because you don't want to be dependent on these pills anyway. We usually don't advise trying reinstatement when someone has been off the drug for more than a few months, but sometimes it can work.  You would try a small amount, wait at least a month to stabilize and then start the 10% taper method. The idea is to very gently slide off the lowest possible dose closest to 0mg so that your nervous system doesn't notice the change. Not everyone needs to taper this carefully, but it sounds like you might be someone who does.

Here is our reinstatement topic with more details:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

How are you feeling now that you are taking sertraline?

I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. I agree that its better to find healthier ways to manage life. Drugs cause dependency, but don't address the cause of our problems or solve anything.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi thanks for response only took two pills of sertraline and decided wanted to remain drugs free ,been off AD's over a year and when I reninstaed very briefly  I tapered over about a month as was on a very small dose. What does CT mean please ?

Also having briefly looked at Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker does tis mean that people who take AD's long term will be  chronically ill forever even after they have stopped ?? This is anxiety ridden in itself surely 

• Moderator Emeritus

CT = cold turkey = going off something without reducing the dose over a period of time.

I have been on antidepressants for 25 years.  I've managed to halve my dose since October last year and am feeling much more like my old self.  I'm able to laugh now and also enjoy things more.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks but  having briefly looked at Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker does tis mean that people who take AD's long term will be  chronically ill forever even after they have stopped ?? This is anxiety ridden in itself surely .Also Petunia what are your symptoms of withdrawal?

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is a post with a video by a member here named GiaK.  She withdrew from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.  It took her a bit over 6 years to do it. Finished on Feb 9 2010.

Obviously this is a very extreme case of drugging but you might find this interesting.

"Today is my anniversary off a huge psych drug cocktail I’d been on for 20 years."

and at the bottom of her post:

"And for those of you experiencing protracted psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome see the IT GETS BETTER series."

video-my-6-year-anniversary-off-psych-drugs-how-i-made-it-through-the-darkest-times

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Many thanks but  having briefly looked at Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker does this mean that people who take AD's long term will be  chronically ill forever even after they have stopped ?? This is anxiety ridden in itself surely .Also Petunia what are your symptoms of withdrawal?

I tapered off too quickly, I am a year off everything, I am much better than  while on meds, I can remember things , I can get up early in the morning without feeling hungover, I have crap days I suffer with bad anxierty from time to time with ocd symptoms, but I wont be going back on meds anytime soon. So yes it does get better but nothing is perfect, 

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

Thanks were you on long ,it seems only a minority are affected

• Moderator Emeritus

jimmy: The book Petunia mentioned, Anatomy of an Epidemic, discusses a number of studies that have found that depression, anxiety, and psychosis are self-limiting for many (most?) people. The "epidemic" he refers to in the title is the prescribing of the drugs not post-discontinuation effects.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks were you on long ,it seems only a minority are affected

Two and half years but I was on a cocktail of xanax lexapro, effexor, rivotril, sleeping meds, olanzapine, Your brain takes a long time to get better from these types of meds. I dont think anyone gets a free ride through withdrawal from these meds. A long slow taper seems to be the best approach.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

Many thanks but  having briefly looked at Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker does this mean that people who take AD's long term will be  chronically ill forever even after they have stopped ?? This is anxiety ridden in itself surely .Also Petunia what are your symptoms of withdrawal?

I too got off rather too quickly. But I'm not gonna go back and try to do it slowly, I've been off of it too long to go back.

Chronically ill? No. It may seem like it at times. But my health has improved. Getting off of the damned things is worth it.

I was on one antidepressant or another at one time.  I discovered that I was taking similar acting meds intermittently. I guess I was in a grey area- taking one steadily and taking something else intermittently.  But I was on mine for 15 years. Even now on my 14th month off- I'm getting way better. Not out of the woods by any means, but definitely getting better.

I've been where you're at. All you can think about is the mountain before you. And it seems insurmountable.  It's not. One day at a time, one step at a time. You will get better.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

I accidentally went cold turkey and I too suffered greatly. At almost 3 years off I'm doing way better than in the first 2 yrs.

Things will get even better with more time. Good luck!

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way.