Shanti: tapering off Paxil

Shanti

Very good to hear that the nerve root ablation helped, Shanti.

How are things progressing with your daughter? I think you were fighting red tape awhile back..? I hope that's been resolved and your daughter gets on her way back to health.

I totally understand and respect any choices you make about tapering Xanax.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shanti

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Skyler

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Good to hear you've got some pain relief now, Shanti.

If I were you, unless I had adverse effects from Xanax, I would hold off tapering it for a good while, maybe 6 months anyway, to let everything settle down.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well, that was the plan Alto. But I had doctor drama recently so I started the taper :(

Barb. Thanks for asking. Yes, I'm still having red tape with my daughter's condition. She's on a waiting list for an endocrinologist in town. The way things are going with the red tape for UCD now UCSF, it might be she get's into the local one before then. At least the tumor isn't growing, so I'm not freaked out. I know if it were, they wouldn't be dragging their feet like this.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, that was the plan Alto. But I had doctor drama recently so I started the taper :(

What was the doctor's advice? Don't had to answer ...just curious. I hope your daughter's appt. goes well.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

What was the doctor's advice? Don't had to answer ...just curious. I hope your daughter's appt. goes well.

I asked the doc to switch me from Xanax to Valium. He asked why and I told him it was impossible to taper off the Xanax. He said no and gave me Ambien, and then reduced my Xanax from 3x a day to 1x a day, expecting the Ambien would help me sleep. (even though I told him I was having no trouble sleeping). So he expects me to get off the Xanax quickly. So I went to my old doctor and she said that I can get off the Xanax in a week, and wouldn't prescribe it for me. She told me that all my withdrawal symptoms are Schizophrenic auditory hallucinations and that my new doctor needs to put me back on antipsyhotics to help me off the Xanax. I told her it was like keeping my tongue stuck into a light socket. Not hallucinations. So, I'm getting no help from doctors, and what's more, reducing my meds and I'm afraid I won't get a refill. I have on me about 5 months worth of Xanax though. I was able to stock up as I was only taking 1 pill a day though I was prescribed 3 a day. When I go back to the doctor in a few weeks I'm going to tell him I'm having panic attacks and need the Xanax. Hopefully he'll refill it. If not, then I'll go to county mental health if I can. I know it's hard to get in there unless you're sent there or really bad psychotic.

One more thing. My old doctor said that she would go ahead and see me again, but that it would risk my pain management that I get from my new doctor. And that is something that I won't give up. If I go back to my old doctor, that means I wouldn't be able to get the spinal nerve ablations anymore. It's insane. There is no other way for me to get this kind of care, because I'm Native American. The Tribal Health has contract with the pain doctor that gives me the treatments. That's why I can't blow it and burn a bridge with the Tribal doctor.

Uggh. Even going to mental health might risk things with the Tribal Health. My old doctor said that it might cause trouble because it would look like I'm trying to get a controlled substance by going to more than one doctor.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

You're coping with this as well as anyone can, Shanti.

Can you talk to a manager at Tribal Health about your problems?

It doesn't sound like your old doctor -- the one who wants you off Xanax in a week and taking antipsychotics -- is the right doctor for you.

From official FDA information on Xanax http://www.drugs.com/pro/xanax.html#DOSAGE

Dose Reduction

Because of the danger of withdrawal, abrupt discontinuation of treatment should be avoided (see WARNINGS, PRECAUTIONS, DRUG ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE).

In all patients, dosage should be reduced gradually when discontinuing therapy or when decreasing the daily dosage. Although there are no systematically collected data to support a specific discontinuation schedule, it is suggested that the daily dosage be decreased by no more than 0.5 mg every three days. Some patients may require an even slower dosage reduction.

In any case, reduction of dose must be undertaken under close supervision and must be gradual. If significant withdrawal symptoms develop, the previous dosing schedule should be reinstituted and, only after stabilization, should a less rapid schedule of discontinuation be attempted. In a controlled postmarketing discontinuation study of panic disorder patients which compared this recommended taper schedule with a slower taper schedule, no difference was observed between the groups in the proportion of patients who tapered to zero dose; however, the slower schedule was associated with a reduction in symptoms associated with a withdrawal syndrome. It is suggested that the dose be reduced by no more than 0.5 mg every 3 days, with the understanding that some patients may benefit from an even more gradual discontinuation. Some patients may prove resistant to all discontinuation regimens.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I think I might end up doing that Alto, if it comes to it. I'll talk to them Also, that was good info from the FDA even. I'll print it out and have it with me. Thanks :)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Shanti,

It sounds like those docs are putting you between a rock and a hard place with your Xanax prescription. I have a doc that will prescribe most anything to me as long as its HIS IDEA. They really act like they are God.

I hope all works out for you.

Love,

Tezza

So true Tezza. It seems most the doctors we're dealing with here have massive egos. I have to play a stupid game to get proper care in this. Like telling my doctor that I'm having panic attacks and need the Xanax. I know then that he will okay it. But if he doesn't, I'm sure the Mental Health will not interfere with my Tribal Health pain treatment. Since it's a specialty medical thing and not a primary doctor that I'm seeing behind my docs back to get the Xanax script. Anyway, thank you for your support.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Doctors make me sick, but then, they have made us all very unwell.

Many nurses with any balls can't stand the doctor's club.

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not too far from there. My issue is my medical coverage. It's very limited. I'm only able to see a pain doctor at all because there is a pain doc that has a contract with Tribal Health. Anyway, my doctor isn't bugging now about the other meds. I tried the Lyrica for 3 days and had very negative reactions even at a small dose. So that's out. I can't find the Lyrica topic or I'd update it. I'll look again and see if I just missed it.

Update for my Xanax taper. I'm unable to put it in my sig. I'm reduced by 10% now. I reduced 5% a month the last 2 months and it's okay. I'm tolerating it okay. Not feeling wonderful and I'm having weird CNS issues upon falling asleep and waking up. I'll be reducing another 5% next week. I'm not having a problem with my doctor about the Xanax now. I told him I wanted to stay on it and he was fine with that. I don't know why I was so worried. lol

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Update for my Xanax taper. I'm unable to put it in my sig. I'm reduced by 10% now. I reduced 5% a month the last 2 months and it's okay. I'm tolerating it okay. Not feeling wonderful and I'm having weird CNS issues upon falling asleep and waking up. I'll be reducing another 5% next week. I'm not having a problem with my doctor about the Xanax now. I told him I wanted to stay on it and he was fine with that. I don't know why I was so worried. lol

Shanti.... I am about a month into my xanax taper and had the same issues immediately with sleep. I could fall asleep, but would wake up. I ALWAYS slept through the night ( for years) but it is getting better. Are you having weird dreams? I fell off a cliff in a RV last night! Glad I survived :)

Oh, no I haven't had the weird dreams since the beginning of my Paxil taper over a year ago. The Stramonium really helped with that. However, I have suddenly started to have really awesome Lucid dreams in the last month. I'm really tripping out, it is amazing. I can do anything I want. Last night I was riding horses :)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

WoooHooo!!

Are you able to direct or choose what you dream about?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 2 weeks later...

WoooHooo!!

Are you able to direct or choose what you dream about?

I don't have full control of the dream scenery. I'm working on it though. I mainly just choose what to do in the scenes and maintain awareness. It's pretty cool. But I'm doing it less now. I am researching how to keep it up.

I had to delete a lot of stuff from my signature, so I'm going to post it here for the record. I'm doing okay with my slow Xanax taper. Only had that setback from the Lyrica but I'm recovered from that.

Cymbalta, Xanax then Antipsychotics 12/09 - 3/11. End AP & Cymbalta.Paxil 40 mg rx 03/11 Begin Paxil Taper - Long Paxhell horror story then finally switch to Prozac:11/22/11 - 20 mg Paxil + 5 to 20 mg Prozac titrate. END PAXIL (Prozac taper by 2 mg a month from Nov 2011 to June 2012) 06/24/12 - 0 mg END PROZAC

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Must feel GREAT to write that, Shanti!

RE: dreams.. I still do not recall dreams but can feel when I slept deeper and had strong dreams. I wake with more dread. Sure wish I knew how to remember!

B

Right now during withdrawal, it is probably good that you don't remember Barb. My dreams at the worst of this ordeal were torturous. When you are recovered from all this, I can help you with dream recall if you want. There are tips and tricks to do it. It can be healing to explore and interpret your dreams. People that can have vivid recall and lucid dream aren't special or have special talents. It is a skill that anyone can develop :) But, yes I would wait until you're done with all the meds.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hi everyone. My name is Shanti, and here is my story of how I found myself here.

I was put on Cymbalta and Xanax for a year. I experienced severe withdrawals from Cymbalta during an emergency surgery and hospitalization as I couldn't take anything outside of the IV. That was my first taste of severe withdrawal symptoms. At the time, I called that the worst experience of my life... but I hadn't been through the Paxil W/Ds yet and that would certainly change my view.

The next winter I was switched from Cymbalta to Paxil because I was having hallucinations in the form of voices and closed eye hallucinations. I was diagnosed with Psychotic Depression and put on anti-psychotics and Paxil.

Only 5 months later did I start to "poop out" on the Paxil and started having such severe brain zaps, twitches and jerks that I had a brain EEG to see if I was having seizures. The EEG came back normal. I didn't realize at the time that it was the Paxil.

I went through many anti-psychotics and eventually refused to try any more because they had horrible side effects. I've successfully treated the psychotic depression with Homeopathy.The homeopathy has eliminated the hallucinations. I am very grateful that Homeopathy is working so well for me.

Since I 'pooped-out' on Paxil, I decided to try to taper off of it. I didn't know what I was doing and I did it too fast and experienced the worst hell of my life. The most horrific being the suicidal feelings, akathisia and dysphoria. I upped my dose to get relief, then researched how to do this right.

I am now down from 40 mg to 17.5.

The last couple of years have been a blur to me, with serious illness along with the mental issues. I'm not quite sure about the dates I put on my signature. lol. But well, I guess it's close enough.

I look forward to spending some time browsing the topics and hope I have something to contribute. I'm glad to be here and meet you all.

Hi Shanti.

I found your reference to homeopathy interesting.

Conventional medicine puts it down a good deal. Of course they would, wouldn't they!

Hi Shanti.

I found your reference to homeopathy interesting.

Conventional medicine puts it down a good deal. Of course they would, wouldn't they!

I know right! Par for the course. Homeopathy has been a lifesaver for me during all of this. That and Reiki. I believe it's saved me a considerable amount of grief. It wasn't really that helpful with physical symptoms, except the Tinnitus, but it was great for all the emotional and mental symptoms.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 2 months later...

I lost the post I just typed. I'll make this one short. I was 5150 locally then sent to St. Helenas on a 5250. I am now off of Xanax, but on Klonipin. I'm also on Zyprexa Zydis for psychosis. I had a total psychotic meltdown. The psychiatrist diagnosed me not as Schizophrenic but as Schizoeffective Disorder. My hallucinations, voices, hallucinating touches, etc, was in the EXTREME. I was under guard at the hospital and I was in the room trying to figure out how I could go fast enough to disarm the security guard to get his gun and shoot myself. Voices were terrorizing me to no end. Every thought I had was commented on and berated, 24/7. There is much I did that I don't remember. My son told me that I told him I had to chop up our dog into 9 pieces. I accused my mom of having a son that died, but it isn't true, she only has daughters. I just really lost all touch of reality.

I give up. I can't go without antipsychotics anymore. So I'm on the Zyprexa, Klonipin, elavil, and Prozac. I never thought I'd ever go back on these meds, but here I am. That psychosis that I went through for weeks is something I NEVER want to experience again.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti when I saw your name on the Intro's I was happy because I haven't seen you in awhile.

You poor girl. What the hell happened? Did this happen because of WD?

Please fill us in. You sound fine in this post. Is it okay for you to talk about it.

If so, I am all ears. Glad you contacted us. You were very helpful to me Shanti and I am glad you are okay now.

Hugs, Hugs and more Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Voices were terrorizing me to no end. Every thought I had was commented on and berated, 24/7. There is much I did that I don't remember. My son told me that I told him I had to chop up our dog into 9 pieces. I accused my mom of having a son that died, but it isn't true, she only has daughters. I just really lost all touch of reality.

I give up. I can't go without antipsychotics anymore. So I'm on the Zyprexa, Klonipin, elavil, and Prozac. I never thought I'd ever go back on these meds, but here I am. That psychosis that I went through for weeks is something I NEVER want to experience again.

Shanti, I can't begin to tell you how very sorry I am to read this. Your experience was truly dreadful, and of course I understand your need to take medication.. Please know I will be thinking of you and watching for your posts. You were missed...Posted Image

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thanks Nikki <3

I'm not sure, but it might have been my Xanax taper that set it off like that. I wasn't getting much sleep. But either way, I am now too scared to be off of the antipychotics. I scared the living hell out of my kids. I was saying incoherant things and the things I did say that they heard were like "We all need to drive this car off the bridge and die together". My poor mom was frantically trying to do exorcisms on me. I just lost touch of reality completely Nikki. I was crawling in the yard thinking I was a cow. I thought I had implants in my head because of the voices being so clear. There is much more but it would be a book.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure, but it might have been my Xanax taper that set it off like that. I wasn't getting much sleep. But either way, I am now too scared to be off of the antipychotics.

You know, you could be right that it was the Xanax taper that set it off... but now you need to rebuild your confidence, and realize you are so very worthy of love, for yourself and your children.

Shanti, an aunt who was close to me had psychotic episodes, and I remember how hard they were for her. So your words ring clearly. Just be very very good to yourself for awhile, K?

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thank you all for the encouragement! I appreciate it :) For now I'm going to stay where I'm at. In the future, I might want to get off the rest but for now, I feel it's too risky. And that is great advice to love myself. Thanks.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti,

I just saw your last update. It sounds unbelievably scary. I'm so sorry this happened, but glad you are now safe and stabilizing.

You are loved!

B

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Barb! I'm stablizing on the Klonipin right now. I'll stay on it for a while then slowly taper off of it. One good thing came out of this. They switched me to klonipin and I didn't have any trouble dropping off the Xanax in the process. I know that Klonipin has a longer half life so it will be easier when I get to the point that I'll taper it. Thank you all for your support!

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 2 months later...

Hi shanti

So sorry to hear of your terrible ordeal. You sound like you've come through the worst, I truly hope you are recovering.

Los of love

Debbie x

17 years on seroxat/paxil CT off - thought I was dying luckily found this site. 21st May 2012 12mg seroxat

Stable - Tapered Diazepam slowish.1st June 10mg Seroxat

2nd June 1mg Diazepam.15th June 9mg seroxat

2nd July Changed to 2.5[ml liquid diazepam]2mg=5ml. 16th July 2ml Liquid Diazepam

2nd August 8mg/4ml Seroxat/Paxil 2nd August 1.5 ml Diazepam

18th Aug 2012 1ml Diazepam 1st - 5th Sept 0.5

Diazepam Free!

13th Oct 7mg/3.5ml seroxat - 26 Jan 2013 3.25ml/6.5mg-Mar 3ml-April 2.7ml-May 2.5ml

01/07/14 very slow taper over the last year now on 0.5 ml of liquid Seroxat ......November 14 Seroat Free!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

I am so lost with all of this.I don't even know what to do. I have spent so much of my life in a haze. I trusted the doctors!!

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 9 months later...

Since I blurted out so much negative I must count my blessings, as I am very grateful for MANY things. I AM Grateful that I have a place to live and food to eat I AM Grateful that my parents both own two homes and I will never be homeless no matter what my situation and income. When my mom decides to move into a retirement home, she is leaving the home to me so I have a rent free home to own. I AM Grateful my kids are healthy I AM Grateful that I have medical care and coverage I AM Grateful that my condition isn't so tragic as many others suffer. Okay that feels better!

shanti, i know this post is from long ago but i needed to see it today. many thanks and hope you're doing well!

diagnosed with MDD/GAD nov 2013, 6 months following CMV complications post-kidney transplant.  lst zyprexa taper 12 months; /increased paxil to 30 mg; crash nov 2014 w/ suicidal ideation & 10day hospitalization.  2nd zyprexa taper 6 months; crash after 6 weeks; reinstated zyprexa 15mg in 6/15 (both tapers worked well to the 2.5mg dose).  3rd zyprexa taper ... 17mg 3 mos;  15mg 1 mo; 10mg 3 mos, 5 mg 3 mos. 2.5mg caused some decompensating, so back to 3mg and  the 10% redux.  UPDATE: moved to FL in late 2016. found great new psychiatrist who agrees that hubby taking too many meds.  continued zyprexa taper and finally  jumped off at .5mg in 2018.  had terrible insomnia. added seroquel @ 300 mg and then tapered 10% to 12.5mg over 2 years. everything was great until it wasnt; hubby suddenly got very agitated and manic.  hospitalized 2x in early 2020 for "idiopathic secondary mania" and diagnosed as bipolar.  seroquel now back @ 100mg plus depakote @ 2500 mg and trazadone @ 100mg. 

mirtazapine 30 mg 45mg 15mg

ativan .5mg 1x/day, occasionally .5 addl  if needed for sleep 3x/day n now 1x/day

paxil 20 mg 1x/day 

gabapentin 1200 - 1800 mg 2 -3 x/day

immunosuppressive drugs for kidney transplant: sirolimus, tacrolimus, mycophenalate, prednisone, levothyroxin and a whole handful of others

• 2 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How have you been Shanti?

It would be lovely to hear from you: good or bad... usually it's both :)

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Shanti: tapering off Paxil
  • 1 year later...
On 2/16/2013 at 12:44 PM, Shanti said:

Thank you all for the encouragement! I appreciate it :) For now I'm going to stay where I'm at. In the future, I might want to get off the rest but for now, I feel it's too risky. And that is great advice to love myself. Thanks.

@Shanti just wondering how you're doing these days? I'm looking into homeopathy and wondering if you'd still recommend it? 

Aug 2004 - Dec 2006: Aropax ( 20mg - 30mg). Aug 2007: Fluoxetine (for 3 weeks).

Sept 07 - July 12: Lexapro ( 10mg - 20mg). Pooped out July 12. Titrated down off Lexapro over 3 weeks and switched to Paroxetine (with Xanax to cover switch for 2 weeks).

Aug 2012 - Aug 2019: Paroxetine (titrated up to 20mg in first few weeks,, dose reduced to 15mg . for 7 years until it 'pooped out'.

4th Aug 2019 - Reduced dose of paroxetine to 10mg (for 1 day) - under phychiatrists directions. Last dose of paroxetine.

5th Aug 2019 - Switch to 15mg Mirtazapine.

5th Aug - 15th Aug 2019 - 15mg Mirtazapine plus intermitent use of Lorazapm (0.25- 0.5 . Also used 12.5mg Quetiapine for 3 nights for sleep.

23rd Aug 2019 - Ended up in crisis team. Mirtazapine increased to 30mg. Diazapam 10mg twice daily.

30th Aug 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 7.5mg twice daily

6th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 5mg twice daily

13th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine increased to 45mg. Diazapam increased back up to 10mg twice daily.

20th Sept - 29th Sept 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. Diazapam being reduced from 10mg down to 0mg this week (in 2mg increments couple of days).

30th Sept - Thursday 3rd Oct 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. WORST ANXIETY EVER. Akathisia. Couldn't stay still. Suicidal idealization.

Friday 4th October - present: Reduced from 45mg to 30mg (straight drop to alleviate akathisia - reduction definitely helped alot but still not gone completely)

, Vit B6, Curcumin, Magnesium (no adverse effects from adding these supplements - have helped akathisia somewhat).

* Everything done from 23rd August under care of outpatient crisis team management.

Untitled document.docx

• 1 month later...

Hi Shanti, I saw that you used homeopathy for your tremors a d they helped. I was thinking about trying it. Is there any bad reactions in homeopy like they say not to try certain supplements?

I feel like some of this is related to my brain being swollen from everything. 

LZie, Zoloft 25 mg, 3/31/20-4/6/20