SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Shanti: tapering off Paxil

Shanti

• Administrator

Yes, Paxil withdrawal can cause many bizarre symptoms like that.

Shanti, I know you don't want to do this, but you might want to go up to 25mg. I'm worried those big 10mg drops are catching up with you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shanti

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Skyler

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Paxil withdrawal can cause many bizarre symptoms like that.

Shanti, I know you don't want to do this, but you might want to go up to 25mg. I'm worried those big 10mg drops are catching up with you.

I think so Alto. I just went to take a nap, certain that I would be able to without jerks. I almost fell asleep then bam, I had the worse jerk right in the center of my back. It was excruciating. It made me gasp. Truly it felt like someone stabbed a knife in my back! So I got up, afraid, and took a half a Xanax. Then I came right here and saw that you wrote that just as I was wondering the same thing! I don't believe in coincidence. I've read that these jerks can lead to early tremors.

I'll do the 25 mg. That was just too scary.

I totally appreciate your help Alto!

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I can still feel where that jerk hit me on my spine. It's sore. Now my feet are tingling and my legs are week. This is scary stuff. I'll see if the Xanax helps or I might go to the doc. Only I'm afraid she'll prescribe me some more poison.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I went ahead and made an appointment to see my doctor. After this attack and the heart one it has me a bit scared. Also, I was having jerks before I even begun to taper, at 40 mg. My legs feels so weird and tingly and I'm afraid it did something to my spinal chord. But then, I am a bit of a hypochondriac so I'm not going to trip too much. I'll go in next week.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

If this is the doctor who doesn't want you tapering off Paxil, and has diagnosed you a schizophrenic, don't expect a lot of constructive assistance.

Are any of these doctors near you Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics?

Unless you work with a doctor who gets it, you'll just be wasting your time, money, and maybe brain cells.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Unfortunately, the closest one is a 5 hour drive from here. I'm not going to take any new drugs. Mainly I want an MRI on my neck and back. My legs are still tingling and weak and I'm afraid it hurt something. idk. But that's really what I want, an MRI. The Xanax does prevent the jerks. I'm just comfortable with it, but I'll worry about the Xanax after I'm done with the Paxil. I think the jerks are getting dangerous, especially to my heart. I didn't take a Xanax before my nap today so that's why I had that jerk. Thank you for your help Alto.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Shanti, try phoning the doctor from the list who's closest to you and ask if he knows anyone near you who understands very slow tapering off Paxil.

If you had the jerks while still on a full dose of Paxil then you might have to consider that it is the Paxil that is causing the jerks, and not withdrawal. Myoclonus is both a side effect of Paxil as well as a WD symptom. If it is a side effect and not a WD symptom then you should keep going down and not up. Although 10mg drops are big, people who are on these drugs less than a year can sometimes make bigger drops than someone who has been on longer. Of course, since you were also on antipsychotics they could also still be playing a part in the myoclonus as well. If you find the jerks get worse after updosing you might want to go back to your previous dose and keep dropping and see if helps.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

If you had the jerks while still on a full dose of Paxil then you might have to consider that it is the Paxil that is causing the jerks, and not withdrawal. Myoclonus is both a side effect of Paxil as well as a WD symptom. If it is a side effect and not a WD symptom then you should keep going down and not up. Although 10mg drops are big, people who are on these drugs less than a year can sometimes make bigger drops than someone who has been on longer. Of course, since you were also on antipsychotics they could also still be playing a part in the myoclonus as well. If you find the jerks get worse after updosing you might want to go back to your previous dose and keep dropping and see if helps.

Thanks Ladybug. That's what I was thinking. I think I'll go ahead and stick to 20mg and see if the jerks go away. The reason is that I looked up the side effects of Penergan last night and see that jerks is a side effect. I've been taking Phenergan every day for over a year for chronic nausea. I didn't take any yesterday and I'll ask my doc to prescribe more Zofran instead. Zofran doesn't work as well but it helps some. The nausea happened after I had 6 inches of my colon removed. For some reason she only gives me 12 Zofran a month and that's not enough, so I end up taking Phenergan more. I'm hoping this is just the Phenergan. I'm afraid to take the Xanax. Someone told me in pm that I can have withdrawals from it by only taking it once a day.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Well, I got my digital jewelers scale and it took me forever to figure it out. I weighed a couple of my 40 mg pills that I've been cutting in half and I realize now how inaccurate my pill splitter has been! One was like 18 1/2 and some were like 21 mg. So that's probably why I have such up and down swings.

I have a weeks worth of 18 mg cut for me. Here I go....

Posted Image

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti;

Was just thinking of you. How are you doing now? I can so relate to the frightening symptoms and yet not knowing the best course for getting them checked out. Is your back feeling better? I have had jerks that awakened me that way, especially in my hips and it is so bizarre to be wakened from a much needed sleep feeling like you have been - yes, stabbed is a good word for it.

I hope you are finding some comfort. Crocus

xxxx

Shanti;

Was just thinking of you. How are you doing now? I can so relate to the frightening symptoms and yet not knowing the best course for getting them checked out. Is your back feeling better? I have had jerks that awakened me that way, especially in my hips and it is so bizarre to be wakened from a much needed sleep feeling like you have been - yes, stabbed is a good word for it.

I hope you are finding some comfort. Crocus

Hi Crocus. Thanks for checking on me :)

I'm doing okay now. I've upped my remedies and it's helped. I'm only on day 2 of my 18 mg drop, so far so good. It's actually like 18.5, so it's a small drop. Feeling pretty good. Today is my birthday too, so I've had lots of love today from friends and family already. That's always good for lifting spirits.

I haven't had that back stab again, thank God. I'm sure to take a half a Xanax before I lay down to be safe. Haven't had the weird dreams and hallucinations either.

Hope you have a happy Halloween!

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Happy birthday, Shanti :D

Ever since my remedies, I've done great during the day. But come night time, all hell breaks loose. Last night I was up in the middle of the night with my scales cutting down 40 mg pills to 1 mg to add to my supply of 18 mg pills I had cut up for me. Now I'm up to 19 mg. This is ridiculous. I'm not having the crazy dreams and hallucinations, but the gasps for breath upon falling asleep waking me up and freaking me out.

I don't have an unlimited amount of time to do this. My insurance will be up next June. I've saving even the powder of my Paxil in a bottle for in case I need it in the future.

I think that the time I was on 20 mg was too up and down. The pill cutter was way off in it's cutting. I realize now that some of the pills were like 19 and some were like 22 mg. It messed things up.

I recommend a scale for this from the get go!

My Paxil Website

My Intro

This is ridiculous. I'm not having the crazy dreams and hallucinations, but the gasps for breath upon falling asleep waking me up and freaking me out.

Shanti,

Please forgive if you covered this before.... when did the breathing issue start? I assume you never had before. Are you able to get a sleep study? It sure sounds similar to sleep apnea (not that I know alot about that!). Short of a sleep study, are you able to record yourself sleeping?

{BTW, I haven't been able to find where we mentioned Bag Lady Syndrome, but I firmly disagree that it is a psychotic disorder (per your one doc). I may be using the term incorrectly.}

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

This is ridiculous. I'm not having the crazy dreams and hallucinations, but the gasps for breath upon falling asleep waking me up and freaking me out.

Shanti,

Please forgive if you covered this before.... when did the breathing issue start? I assume you never had before. Are you able to get a sleep study? It sure sounds similar to sleep apnea (not that I know alot about that!). Short of a sleep study, are you able to record yourself sleeping?

{BTW, I haven't been able to find where we mentioned Bag Lady Syndrome, but I firmly disagree that it is a psychotic disorder (per your one doc). I may be using the term incorrectly.}

Hi Bar,

The gasps for breath started a few days ago. I've had it once or twice though in the last month. It's so involuntary and scary. I didn't think of having a sleep study and didn't think of sleep apnea. I'll call my doctor and ask her if I can do that. I was just thinking about how I'm not having the jerks anymore. It stopped after I stopped taking Phenergan for nausea. Phenergan does have the side effect of jerks. So yeah, I think this is something different from the jerks, but it resembles the jerks because it's like a jerk of my lungs.

I'm at a point that I don't know what to do about my dose. I don't know if I should stick with the 18 mg or go up to 19 mg and suck it up.

Thank you for your ideas.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Major signs and symptoms of sleep apnea

Loud and chronic snoring

Choking, snorting, or gasping during sleep

Long pauses in breathing

Daytime sleepiness, no matter how much time you spend in bed

Hmm, I don't have any of that. I wonder if I should have a sleep study anyway.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

I think you're having muscle spasms, Shanti.

How is your prescription for Paxil written? Is it 20mg a day?

I think you're having muscle spasms, Shanti.

How is your prescription for Paxil written? Is it 20mg a day?

Yes, it's 20 mg a day. I have some Baclofen muscle relaxers, but haven't tried that. I'll research it and see it's side effects and withdrawal info.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Baclofen is out. It has some major serious withdrawals. I'll try to find a natural remedy or homeopathy for it. I'll stick to 18 mg and just stick it out.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I was prescribed Baclofen at some point (all a blur), probably for bruxism. It theoretically works w GABA.

You are probably aware already, but just a reminder that most anti-nausea drugs and muscle relaxants/antispasmodics are centrally acting, ie. work thru CNS. Phenergan, Compazine are phenothiazines and have histaminic, muscarinic (acetylcholine), and dopamine 'involvement'.

Since we are all ultra sensitive to meds, perhaps trying minimal dose is prudent until we know how we respond?

I wonder what drugs do NOT act centrally??

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I was prescribed Baclofen at some point (all a blur), probably for bruxism. It theoretically works w GABA.

You are probably aware already, but just a reminder that most anti-nausea drugs and muscle relaxants/antispasmodics are centrally acting, ie. work thru CNS. Phenergan, Compazine are phenothiazines and have histaminic, muscarinic (acetylcholine), and dopamine 'involvement'.

Since we are all ultra sensitive to meds, perhaps trying minimal dose is prudent until we know how we respond?

I wonder what drugs do NOT act centrally??

Bar I totally relate to "it's all a blur". I have this Baclofen in my drawer and not even sure why I have it! If I took everything my doc gave me, I'd be on 20 meds a day. I went ahead and took one. I am so relaxed and the illiopsoas pain I have is so much better! I don't want to get hooked on it. It has harsh withdrawals. But I will try it before bed. It seems that it's safe tapering off it and not as bad as benzos. I see that it has great effect on treating alcoholism.

I wound up watching Youtube vids of people with dystonia. Wow. It makes me grateful that I'm not so bad off.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

I'm familiar with Baclofen, a small dose now and then is probably okay. The horrible side effects are from baclofen injected directly into the spinal column via a pump, 24/7.

But, as Bar said, it acts on the CNS. I'd see what the lowest effective dose might be and use that.

Shanti, you might ask your doctor to increase the dosage in your prescription (she'll be happy about that). It will give you more flexibility when you cut up the pills, and you will get more milligrams in each prescription.

Where are you located geographically?

I'm familiar with Baclofen, a small dose now and then is probably okay. The horrible side effects are from baclofen injected directly into the spinal column via a pump, 24/7.

But, as Bar said, it acts on the CNS. I'd see what the lowest effective dose might be and use that.

Shanti, you might ask your doctor to increase the dosage in your prescription (she'll be happy about that). It will give you more flexibility when you cut up the pills, and you will get more milligrams in each prescription.

Where are you located geographically?

That's a good idea. I'll ask her. I'm in Northern California.

I decided to take half a Baclofen before bed and see how it works. I just ordered Magnesia Phosphorica 30C that's supposed to help with muscle spasms. I hope it works and I can use that instead of Baclofen when I get it.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I'm going to register at the Native American Rancheria here, so I'll have some kind of medical coverage through that. I should do that now before it's too late, they're backed up.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

It looks to me like liquid Paxil is available from Canada for around $80 for 150mL http://www.canadadrugs.com/group/Paxil%20Liquid%2010mg%205ml/13971/

I don't know why your pharmacy would quote $600. That's exorbitant.

PS Shanti -- your notifications from this site are being bounced by your e-mail provider. I'm getting the bounce messages. Please put survivingads at comcast.net in your address book so it will accept your mail. Thanks.

It looks to me like liquid Paxil is available from Canada for around $80 for 150mL http://www.canadadrugs.com/group/Paxil%20Liquid%2010mg%205ml/13971/

I don't know why your pharmacy would quote $600. That's exorbitant.

PS Shanti -- your notifications from this site are being bounced by your e-mail provider. I'm getting the bounce messages. Please put survivingads at comcast.net in your address book so it will accept your mail. Thanks.

Oh, Okay I'll fix that.

My doctor just called and already faxed the 40 mg Paxil rx to the pharmacy. Took her only a couple of hours. Yet it took me two weeks to get her to lower my dosage! lol

Well that's good to know I can get Paxil for $80!

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Bar I totally relate to "it's all a blur". I have this Baclofen in my drawer and not even sure why I have it! If I took everything my doc gave me, I'd be on 20 meds a day. I went ahead and took one. I am so relaxed and the illiopsoas pain I have is so much better! I don't want to get hooked on it. It has harsh withdrawals. But I will try it before bed. It seems that it's safe tapering off it and not as bad as benzos. I see that it has great effect on treating alcoholism.

I wound up watching Youtube vids of people with dystonia. Wow. It makes me grateful that I'm not so bad off.

Shanti!

I have psoas probs,too. I don't run across many people who know that muscle group. I'll have to dig up an article about its involvement in emotion/stress. I first learned about it w horses.

Shanti!

I have psoas probs,too. I don't run across many people who know that muscle group. I'll have to dig up an article about its involvement in emotion/stress. I first learned about it w horses.

Oh I know that muscle group well! I don't know why I have the problem, but it's just constant pain. That muscle relaxer really helped give some relief for a while. I would really like to see that about how it relates to emotions and stress. It might explain why I have it.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

The Baclofen was a Godsend! I went to sleep with no jerks and no lung jerking stuff. I slept all night, but woke with only one minor head zap at about 8 am. Got a good nights sleep :)

I can do this. I'll stick to the 18 mg drop.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Barb digging around in old drug drawer...

• Administrator

Good job getting 40mg Paxil tablets. They may come in handy later.