Shanti: tapering off Paxil

Shanti

Good job getting 40mg Paxil tablets. They may come in handy later.

I'm so glad you suggested it. I didn't think of that! Now this gives me twice as long to do this, and it takes a huge load off.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shanti

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Skyler

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a doc appointment on Monday, and I'm going to insist on an MRI of my neck and back. I'm in extreme pain and 6 vicodin a day isn't cutting it anymore. I've had neurological symptoms before I was on medications, the depression from my condition is what got me on meds. My dad has "Dilapidated, Degenerative Disease of The CNS" and he has the same symptoms as I do. I just can't take this pain. I went through physical therapy and it didn't help that much, or for very long. Now I feel the meds has only made me worse.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

How did acupuncture work for you? It helped me a lot.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Oh, I haven't tried acupuncture. I've been a little scared of that for some reason. So you had success with it? Hmm, maybe I'll try it.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Well, I just did a little research and it looks like my insurance might cover acupuncture. If it does, I'm going for it :)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

LOL! Absolute thumbs-up to acupuncture for the neck, Shanti. It *seems* like acupunture would fit w/your natural healing modalities. Do you think you may be hesistant to someone working w/your energy field (meridiens/chakras?) because you know and understand energy work? I don't understand much about it. Chiropractic has also helped although I understand the fears w/'cracking' the neck and other parts.

My acupuncturist uses electrical stim along with acupuncture (not connected). The acupuncturist in Nashville connected the electrical stim directly to the needles (electro-acupuncture). I didnt notice a benefit w/that.

I have to find out more about the ac point at top of the ear that was done once for detox or addiction.

A good MRI might be wise, if only for documentation. Beware surgeons who try to scare you into surgery. I almost fell for the "you'll end up like Christopher Reeve if you don't have cervical fusion immediately" tactic in 1993. There are MANY less invasive treatments.

Sorry-stepping down from my soapbox now.

Forgive my "LOL" above. Your message struck me funny. No mocking intended! I'm very sorry you're in pain.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

lol. Well, I'm glad if I can make someone laugh :)

Yeah, I feel a bit hesitant about it because it seems like it's more forceful interference with the energy field than Reiki or Quantum Touch. I feel like I can defend my energy field from negative energy from Reiki and such. The needles seems like it'd be more difficult to protect myself. But I'm feeling okay with it now. I'd been to a chiropractor and have no issues with that. But since my spinal chord symptoms are the way they are, I'm scared to go to the chiropractor right now.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Last night when I went to bed, I was feeling a lot of pressure in my head and tinnitus. I was feeling the "whooshing". When I closed my eyes to sleep, I'd suddenly get a huge panic attack that would keep me from sleep. I got up and took the other half of my Xanax and went back to bed. It continued. Then I had a hallucination accompanied by a huge panic attack. The hallucination was a hand coming out of nowhere to my face. I jumped up, scared to death. I got up, and I kid you not, I did an exorcism on myself. After I did this, I felt calm and confident, and went back to bed. I had no more pressure, no more panic, no more hallucinations and I slept with no brain zaps or jerks. This is a Sinister attack. I am getting that our minds get fractured and it's open to influence from astral. I know this is much for some people, but it is very real. I'm posting a video about homicide and suicide from antidepressants.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

If anyone is curious how I did this "exorcism", I used a prayer to Archangel Michael. Before I gave it, I called for the binding and removal of entities projecting thoughts and images to my mind.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Okay, this is going to take a very open mind for people to read. I am just amazed at what happened. I just called my mom and told her what happened, and how I called to Archangel Michael to bind and remove entities causing me pain last night. She was very excited because just yesterday, she received a dictation from Archangel Michael about this very thing, and she posted it at our website Ascension Now. This is a message from Archangel Michael. My mom is a channel and channels only angels. This stuff probably should go in Finding Meaning, but I already started it here.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I don't know if I put this in my intro, but I am an ordained Minister and Spiritual Counselor. Anyone need an exorcism, let me know B)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Shanti, how often are you taking the benzo?

The tricky thing about acupuncture is finding a good practitioner. You are right, an acupuncturist who isn't in tune with your body may use interventions that are too aggressive. You have to make sure you can communicate with the acupuncturist and tell him or her you don't want anything stimulating, only calming, and not too strong with that because it may cause a paradoxical reaction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I have 1 mg pills. I break it in half and take one in the evening before bed. Sometimes I take the other half in the morning if I'm feeling too anxious.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

It sounds to me like you're getting a paradoxical reaction to the benzo. This happens when your nervous system gets used to it. Perhaps take a quarter of a tablet?

Yeah, you're probably right. That thought did occur to me yesterday. I'll try a quarter tablet. Should I take a quarter in the mornings to keep from having effects or is just once in the evening okay?

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

If you're just taking it at night, I would take it only at night.

I don't know very much about all this at all,and I am hardly someone to give advice given the state I am currently in, but I will pass on something I was told by my charity. One of the drugs that got me into this mess was Zopiclone. I would take it some nights, but not others, sometimes a full dose sometimes half. The charity told me that this is NOT the way to take it at all, especially for people with sensitivity to these medicines. I am assuming the same applies to Xanax as that is a sleep medicine? The reason is, I am told that a person will go in and out of mini withdrawal having all kinds of symptoms that they would not have if they took the same amount regularly, and then if you want to not use the medicine, then you would slowly reduce the tablet and withdraw it in a similar way to other medicines.

I imagine alot of people can take this type of medicine as and when required, but for sensitive people maybe not. I just wondered if it may be adding to your symptoms. Like I said, I certainly don't feel qualified to give advice, just passing on something I was told.

Sept 2010 - Citalopram 1 day

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

Ocober 2010 - Cymbalta 30mg

November 2010 - Cymbalta 60mg

February 2011 - 60mg to 30 mg (lasted 10 days)reinstated 60mg

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

8th Jan 2012 17.8mg (currently reducing 0.2mg a week)

8th Jan 2012 17.6mg last reduction was 6 days ago.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

That's usually true, and that's what I was thinking when I asked. But then I was thinking about it, and I don't really have any symptoms aside from nausea during the daytime. Everything for me happens now at bedtime. So, today I went ahead and took a quarter of a Xanax to see if I'd get nausea, and I still did. So it's not the Xanax w/d causing nausea. Man, the last thing I need is a Benzo addiction.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

InNeed, I don't believe the sleep drugs (called the Z drugs) are supposed to be taken regularly. They are really only for short-term use.

I think CITA was trying to describe rebound insomnia, which is indeed a problem with the Z drugs and benzos, too.

In your case, you sound extraordinarily sensitive to all psychiatric medications. They aren't for everyone (in my opinion, very few people).

Once you've had a bad reaction to any of them, it's wise to stay away from all of them.

I'm going to doc today and I'm giving her a few papers that Alto has shared here. I'm going to tell her that I'm trapped on Paxil for the rest of my life. I'm not going to tell her I'm tapering until I'm done, then I'll tell her. For now, I just want her to know the deal with Paxil. I'm also going to ask her for my anti-psychotics, though I'm not going to take them. I know this is dishonest but I'm beyond caring. I just need to go along with the "Schizophrenic" thing to try and get disability. Hopefully she'll get me an MRI, or else I'll have to go to another doc. And the truth is that I did have a hallucination the other night. I just want some things ruled out before I fully accept that it's Fibromyalgia.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Well, maybe I'll tell her I'm slowly tapering. If she tries to interfere with how I'm doing it, I just won't let her. She's not that difficult to work with.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I was seriously considering taking the Risperdal my doc gave me. Before all this anitdepressant/antipsychotic hell, I had hallucinations that were benign. Such as seeing a kid riding a bike or something innocent. NOW, I see someone blowing their head off with a gun and gruesome stuff like that. It's just like the movie "Sixth Sense". But, I will try Homeopathy before I resort to the pills, and I'll have them just in case.

I like to cut my pills. I'm glad I didn't get liquid. I get a sense of satisfaction taking a razor blade to these #$%@ little devils. It's like revenge.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Yes, the withdrawal sensitivities lend themselves to horrible imagery. Try to use your meditation and visualizations to counteract this, Shanti. It's not you, it's the symptoms.

Yeah, I try. I go through about a 45 minute ritual before bed. But I think I need to break it into twice a day. I do hope when I'm all done with the withdrawals that it goes away. They give me horrible panic attacks.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

My guess is it's the signal that the panic attack is coming.

My guess is it's the signal that the panic attack is coming.

Oh! I never thought of that! I bet it is.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Today I added 5 mg of Prozac and will increase it to 10 mg in a week. I'm not real sure what to do from there. If I should go up to 20 mg of the Prozac, then do a quick taper off the Paxil. Get more stable on the Prozac then taper off of it. I think this is the plan. I'll be honest, muscle testing (kinesiology) is my doctor right now. I've pretty much decided to just muscle test what I should do!

Oh, btw I met my new doctor yesterday. I really liked him. It was so much easier talking to him. He was listening with concern, I could tell. He was very reassuring that we'd take care of me. He said he'd get my records from my other doc and he'll see me next week to decide on the next step to find out what's going on. I'm grateful!

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Good news about the new doctor, Shanti. Removes a worry from your life.

Does the new doctor know anything about the Prozac switch?

If I were you, I'd stay at 10mg Prozac and slide off the Paxil gradually. You can always adjust the Prozac.

No, I haven't said anything to the new doctor about the Prozac switch. I'm working with my old doctor about that. I don't want to confuse the issue I'm seeing my new doc for. Here's the problem. I've had serious nervous system problems before I even started these drugs. I want to stay focused on that with the new doc because I don't want my problem written off as withdrawal or side effects. So, I had to write out my symptoms to give my new doctor. Here they are, you can see how it can get confusing with the withdrawals:

Blurred vision, eye pain

Flashing lights when moving eyes or in response to a sudden noise, quick pain through body at sudden loud noise.

Muscle weakness

Pain and weakness in right arm and shoulder, unable to hold a pen at times.

Severe back pain

Pain in illopsoas on left side.

Sudden sharp electrical shock pain on the spine – very painful! Sometimes elsewhere.

Sizzling sounds from the back of neck

Involuntary contraction of muscles

Problems with posture

Jerking and twitching muscles, Tics

Involuntary Leg Movements, especially bothersome at night

Partial numbness, tingling, buzzing and vibration sensations

Painful vibration in feet and lower legs

Complete numbness/loss of sensation

Pain without apparent cause, burning, itching and electrical shock sensations

Electric shocks and buzzing sensations when moving head

Facial pain

Loss of coordination

Abnormal balance function in the inner ear (ear tunnel doesn’t close?)

Nausea

Urinary hesitancy and retention

Constipation Infrequent or irregular bowel movements

Depression

Short-term and long-term memory problems, forgetfulness, slow word recall

Anxiety

Fatigue

Swallowing problems

Respiratory problems

Inappropriately cold body parts

Symptoms worse after exercise

Most of these are symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis, which is what my dad has. He's diagnosed with "Probable MS". I'm afraid if I talk about the w/d, it will get written off. I had my first MS symptom when I was 22. It was Lhermittes sign, which is when you put your head down, it sends a shock wave through your spine. That's a very strong indication of MS. The neurologist at that time told me I probably have lesions on my spinal cord. But he did nothing to check and the symptoms went away after about 6 months. That's typical of MS remission, with them returning full force 20 years later. I'm fairly certain I have MS, as 1 in 20 people don't even have lesions appear on MRI. I just really need a diagnosis for disability.

I'm doing great with the Prozac switch. All my withdrawal symptoms are gone. I am at 10 mg Prozac and 20 mg Paxil right now. Only a few more days and I'll start dropping the Paxil.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Is this the kinesiologist?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Shanti, I am so happy adding in the Prozac has helped!

Oh, I can see your medical situation is very complicated. Sending you virtual supportive beams.

Oh Shanti, I am so glad the Prozac is helping!! I am doing well with it too and other than a dry mouth not having any problems in taking the 10 mg. dose.

I so hope that this enables you and I and others to get off of the Paxil and Effexor!!!

I will be thinking of you. Crocus

xxxx

Is this the kinesiologist?

Kinesiologist? I'm not seeing one. I use Kinesiology myself though. I am the Kinesiologist lol.

No, this is a new GP I'm seeing at the Rancheria. I just found out yesterday that I have spinal arthritis. I went to my old doc begging for a shot in my back, and that's when she happened to mention that I had arthritis in my back. I can't believe she's known this for months and hasn't told me. I even called a couple months ago and asked what my x-rays showed and her assistant told me that only some scoliosis. Nothing about spinal arthritis. Smh. So, maybe all this is from a pinched nerve. I hope. I don't know why they don't understand that we need a diagnosis to ease our mind at least! My doctor used to be a very good doctor. She saved my life with her perseverance and strength. I literally would have died if she hadn't yelled at all the people in the ER twice telling them I need emergency surgery. They kept fighting her and she insisted and sure enough, they found a golf ball sized abscess in my abdomen. The problem is that the office got way too busy. They're taking more patients than they can handle now and it really shows in the quality of care. Every time I hear a commercial on the radio for their medical group I get disgusted. Why are they advertising when they can't keep up now? *sigh*

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Oh Shanti, I am so glad the Prozac is helping!! I am doing well with it too and other than a dry mouth not having any problems in taking the 10 mg. dose.

I so hope that this enables you and I and others to get off of the Paxil and Effexor!!!

I will be thinking of you. Crocus

I'm so glad it's working good for you too! I'm going to start dropping the paxil in a couple of days. I went ahead and went up to 20 mg of Prozac. I just want to be sure it's enough to cover the Paxil drop. I haven't had any side effects from the Prozac at all, thank God!

Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts, I'm keeping you in mine as well. Take care!

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

I've got congenital spinal curvature too, it began to hurt a lot, but exercises just about eliminated the pain. I'm supposed to have arthritis in my hips from the poor spinal alignment, but exercise fixed that, too. I do Pilates regularly for this.

I'd take an arthritis diagnosis with a grain of salt. It doesn't mean you can't compensate for it.

I've got congenital spinal curvature too, it began to hurt a lot, but exercises just about eliminated the pain. I'm supposed to have arthritis in my hips from the poor spinal alignment, but exercise fixed that, too. I do Pilates regularly for this.

I'd take an arthritis diagnosis with a grain of salt. It doesn't mean you can't compensate for it.

I'm in so much pain sometimes all I can do is lay on my side for hours and cry. It's horrible. Vicodin doesn't work. Tomorrow I'm going to ask for a shot in my back.

Physical Therapy helped me a lot before. I'm going to start it up again. I just have trouble with getting withdrawal symptoms when I exercise very much right now. But now with the Prozac, maybe I can give it another try without causing a flare up.

Thank you for your encouragement :)

My Paxil Website

My Intro