Cheryl

Facial change - bags, dark circles, aged, ageing, swollen, puffy

Cheryl

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a while and into my 7th month.

Still dealing with windows/waves and have just recently noticed changes in my face, as if I aged.

I look sleepy and have bags under my eyes.

This is quite recent, probably in the last month.

I am sleeping well so I know that's not the issue.

I am extremely stressed with job while dealing with WD symptoms.

Can all this WD and stress cause us to age that quickly?? I cannot stand looking in the mirror anymore. It's as if I'm looking at a stranger.

I have read about this happening with WD from benzos but have not seen it on our forum.

coldturkmama

I took photos of my face from the start of WD to now and wow....what a change!

Junglechicken

Good or bad CTM?

I have aged considerably since being on ADs, it's awful.

Cheryl

Good or bad CTM?

I have aged considerably since being on ADs, it's awful.

Do you mean since withdrawal?

Junglechicken

Well the ADs that I affectively CT'd off caused WD....and thus ageing.

Especially a nasty eczema outbreak all over my face and neck (triggered by stress), which has resulted in a whole load of wrinkles.

coldturkmama

Bad at first, much better over time.

Cheryl

Thank you CTM...I have hope now that it will get better, along with everything else.

coldturkmama

I looked terrible at first. At 34 my face was swollen and puffy and droopy eyelids and just...very very unlike myself.

Cheryl

That's exactly it...swollen, puffy, droopy eyelids and bags under my eyes.

How long does this last before it gets better?

coldturkmama

Hmm not 100% sure but it was at least a year

NoMoreADs

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a while and into my 7th month.

Still dealing with windows/waves and have just recently noticed changes in my face, as if I aged.

I look sleepy and have bags under my eyes.

This is quite recent, probably in the last month.

I am sleeping well so I know that's not the issue.

I am extremely stressed with job while dealing with WD symptoms.

Can all this WD and stress cause us to age that quickly?? I cannot stand looking in the mirror anymore. It's as if I'm looking at a stranger.

I have read about this happening with WD from benzos but have not seen it on our forum.

If I had to guess I would think you are not sleeping as well as you think you are. How many total hours of sleep are  you actually getting per night? Sleep deprivation can make your face look horrible until you catch up on sleep. I've experienced this myself so I can relate

Cheryl

I am sleeping pretty good. I get between 6-7 hrs, usually sleep through the night.

coldturkmama

Same here, I slept well considering and still looked like cap.

NoMoreADs

I am sleeping pretty good. I get between 6-7 hrs, usually sleep through the night.

Hmm according to studies, people who sleep 6 hours per night are as impaired the next day as someone who has a blood alcohol content that is over the legal limit so you can imagine what that can do to your face if it impairs your brain that much. There was a study that showed that people who sleep 6 hours per night for 10 or 12 days, are as impaired as someone who has been awake for 48 hours straight. 7 hours of sleep should be just fine, but I think those days where you are getting as little as 6 hours of sleep a night could be affecting your face.

coldturkmama

I was getting more.sleep than that at times but then if have insomnia and be awake for 2-3 hours a night. My face was bad for quite some time but started to improve as I began taking tissue.salts and getting further from the cold turkey....

reachingforthestars

My face is more droopy and I have developed redness around my nose. I have those red veins too like on 'drinkers nose' and this is due to WD since I didn't have this before WD and I have read that WD can enlarge veins and make hot flashes. So no wonder some people get eczema outbreaks. 

LexAnger

Yes, I look like a retarded with lifeless, swollen, droppy, face and eyes waking up in the morning when various symptoms are at peak, but in evening, especially after I get out of gym (walk, weights, sauna, swim) I usually look more like myself and sometimes as good as it supposed to be. So this shows the effect is temporary even in WD. I'm very sure once I'm recovered, the effect on looks will be gone too like every other symptoms.

Cheryl

Thank you for responding everyone. It's bad enough that we have to deal with the other emotional/physical symptoms. I am praying that some of this will reverse/improve.

I am trying to get more regular with my exercise again as long as I am without headache and have a window of energy.

What are tissue.salts?

RachelE

I'm actually starting to look my age (43.) Have gone noticeably gray in a short period of time. On the positive side I have been losing weight, but a bunch of lines are showing on my face all the sudden and I'm losing muscle mass. This is no doubt due to stress and an inability to exercise as much as I should.

What shocked me when I looked in the mirror this morning wasn't the lines in my face as much as the pained expression they seemed to record. Not a lot of laugh lines! I look forty-three now, and not a very happy forty-three either.... :(  

Cheryl

I'm actually starting to look my age (43.) Have gone noticeably gray in a short period of time. On the positive side I have been losing weight, but a bunch of lines are showing on my face all the sudden and I'm losing muscle mass. This is no doubt due to stress and an inability to exercise as much as I should.

What shocked me when I looked in the mirror this morning wasn't the lines in my face as much as the pained expression they seemed to record. Not a lot of laugh lines! I look forty-three now, and not a very happy forty-three either.... :(

I have lost muscle mass too Rachel. We lose it as we age, but a larger amount in what I consider a short period is not normal.

I am grateful for this group...we all have so many withdrawal symptoms and it's so good to know that many of these are not just "in our head".

nia101

So after 5 months into wd i started getting bags i never had before. How does this go away? Even my face is so skinny. 

Stormstrong

It mystifies me why I'm no longer photogenic, like I used to be until age 31 or so... around that time I was a few years into Zoloft, and also adding and trying all sorts of other SSRIs, then also trying to withdraw really fast... not to mention I had crises after crises and constant suffering, though also spiritual awakening. Since then I have not been able to get the effortless photogenicity back.

Can anyone relate, kind of? Or any thoughts on why this could be?

Songbird

@Stormstrong I've merged your topic with a similar one.

jeremy1069

Very much so here in recent months. 

Wrinkles around my eyes. When I look in the mirror I seem kinda pale. Lots of pimples (I never even had pimples when I was a teenager) I breakout in rashes and have skin burning. I never even knew I had eczema. Just awful. I’m only 32. Never thought I’d age this quickly (It’s been less than a year)

thecowisback

same here. since withdrawals hit i feel like i look 10 years older. i always looked young for my age but i've developed wrinkles and sagging skin so quickly and don't even recognise myself in the mirror some days. i hate having my photo taken normally but these last two years i can see how much i've aged when someone snaps me.

historygal

Hi guys. It's been nearly 5.6 years for me and one symptom that has remained and stayed with me throughout is dark circles under the eyes, not just a couple of black bags but serious dark circles that have caused me to have to put makeup and concealer under my eyes. I feel embarrassed by this symptom as it can be noticeable. I have looked online and it can be caused by a number of things like allergies, or iron deficieny or possibly fatigue. I still don't have deep sleep and only able to sleep for 7 hours tops. Any one else with this symptom or does anyone have any suggestions that might help (naturally) will this go when WD ends?

ChasingRainbows

Are these physical changes members are experiencing during withdrawal or while actively on a drug and not tapering?