SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

NZRecovery: Zoloft (sertraline) withdrawal and cognitive decline

NZRecovery

Hey Guys,

Im new to these forums but i have been over at dpselfhelp.com for a number of years (don't know if anybody is familiar with dpselfhelp) basically it is a derealization/depersonalization forum. Anyway's i was diagnosed with GAD and PTSD a number of years back and was given a 50mg dosage of setraline to try and relieve symptoms of brain fog and other side effects from the DR/DP, GAD, And PTSD, as well as psychotherapy. Those methods didn't work and i kept taking the medication for around a few months and then decided to cold turkey it numerous times, and then was told to come back on it by multiple individuals. I noticed a immediate decline in functioning at school, yes my focus was gone anyway due to the brain fog symptons from dr/dp but something more progressed and that was the inability to actually complete and continue with assignments and tasks in which i was doing actually quite well in. I felt and saw a cognitive decline and it actually induced depression yet i wasn't completely aware of that at the time.

I was wondering why i couldn't do these tasks and find them intriguing anymore and was starting to wonder if the SSRI medication was having an effect of my school work and general well being. Now coming onto these forums and realizing that many people had the same implications from SSRI medication really enlightened me to my whole experiences as a whole. My phychiatrist that i have recently been to regarding severe depression and manic episodes wants me to take the SSRI medication again and prescribed me a script, When i got home i decided that im not going to take any more SSRI medications as the implications far, and i mean far, outweighed any benefit that the medication gave me, im more in the mindset and thinking that the medication should of not been prescribed in the first place as i didn't really suffer any kind of severe or moderate depression's it was more of an anxiety and dr/dp related issue. Then he tried to prescribe me anti-psychotic medication Quitiepine and i also only took around two tablets of that before i decided that enough was enough.

When i stopped taking the medication i had numerous side effects, such as brain zaps, sexual dysfunction, and horrible headaches, migranes, insomnia etc. I have seen articles regarding SSRI's and flooding the neural pathways before entering the serotonin receptor sites and have read that damage has been seen in studies where alleviated dosages have been given to rats, and i am fearing that these receptor sites have been wiped and thus makes recovery impossible. If there are any tips or stories regarding people making recovery's i would be highly intrigued to hear them as this is making life completely miserable. And any tips supplements that can support neurogenisis and restore cognitive abilities that i once had before taking the medication. Any lifestyle changes or is the damage to severe to reverse? I think the cold turkey induced some kind of permanent change in neurochemistry and thus how do i restore my brains chemistry to normal state, not saying that the dr/dp will lift but honestly the depression and other re latent symptons are driving me mad, agitation, and cant hold down a normal conversation without being lost in the context.

I am also experiencing delusions and this was non-characteristic before cold turkeying from the SSRI's. i have currently been of SSRI medication for around 5-6 months and am wondering if this is a normal side effect for withdrawals? i feel like im losing my mind and need some advice.

Thanks,

Zinzan

Edited by ChessieCat
Corrected spelling of sertraline in drug tag

My current psychiatrist and previous psychiatrist's dont understand the magnitude of the issue and they seem like they don't want to help directly by looking at other methodology's to treat my dr/dp and whenever i mentioned the dr/dp they would be like "what is that disorder". Like are the psychiatrists in New Zealand backward or something in their training as not one i have been to has studied or know's anything about how DR/DP feels or any treatment methods for DR/DP itself. So they shoved me on SSRI medication and now i feel like ive lost more of my function, its like a never ending nightmare.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi from across the Tasman Zinzan,

Welcome to SA.

So that we have a clear overview of your drug history Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Include all drugs, dates and doses and how you decreased/increased.  Please provide details for the last 12-18 months and a summary of anything prior.

Just to clarify, were you suffering DP/DR before taking any drugs?

Was the psychotherapy before taking drug/s or did you start this after taking the drug/s?

Here is a list of withdrawal side effects:  glenmullen_symptoms_AS Appendix 1.pdf  

What exactly are you meaning "delusional"?  This topic may be helpful:  Neuro Emotions

Once we have some additional information we will be better able to offer suggestions.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Kia Ora ! It sounds to me like your definitely experiencing WD symptoms from tapering too fast. Let me assure you that these symptoms do pass eventually and full recovery happens. 1 year ago, I had the scariest symptoms I could imagine. I thought id never get better, yet here I am, one year on and I feel back to normal. A moderator will be along to help you out and give you some links to have a read of. In the meantime, you could tell us exactly how you came off the medication? Did you just stop taking it ? Or was there a taper involved? And if so how did you go about it.

Someone will be along soon - just wanted to say hi from a fellow kiwi.

Nick

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

Welcome from another kiwi.

So glad you found sa

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Mentor

Hi NZRecovery,

I wanted to say hello, welcome you, and tell you how sorry I am that you are going through such an awful situation with the withdrawal.  I too am on Zoloft, but at one point I went off and went off fast. I had many of the same symptoms you currently have. It was so very awful, I really believed I had somehow broken myself and I would be stuck with all these symptoms. I reinstated, waited to stabilize and have started tapering, slowly. I feel much better now.  There is hope and yes, you will recover. I spent hours reading the different posts here on this website, sometimes I would read the same post over and over just because it made me feel better. The moderators here are great and will help you. Hang in.

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Hi from across the Tasman Zinzan,

Welcome to SA.

So that we have a clear overview of your drug history Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Include all drugs, dates and doses and how you decreased/increased.  Please provide details for the last 12-18 months and a summary of anything prior.

Just to clarify, were you suffering DP/DR before taking any drugs?

Was the psychotherapy before taking drug/s or did you start this after taking the drug/s?

Here is a list of withdrawal side effects:  glenmullen_symptoms_AS Appendix 1.pdf  

What exactly are you meaning "delusional"?  This topic may be helpful:  Neuro Emotions

Once we have some additional information we will be better able to offer suggestions.

Hi ChessieCat :)

Thanks for the reply, sorry haven't logged on for a few days due (Well six omg time is passing by) to being bogged down sleeping and just generally shrouded in pure nothing.

I was not suffering from DR/DP before taking any drugs. The drug that actually triggered me to have a psychotic episode was Marijuana like many fellow suffers of DR/DP. Next morning woke up and felt still "stoned" per say.

The psychotherapy was conducted after taking medication for a prolonged period of roughly 1-2 months. The psychotherapy I was introduced to was CBT, and couldn't understand anything or didn't learn anything from it as I was so spaced out. Every therapy session we had felt like a waste as my mind wasn't taking in any of the information. Whether that was down to the fact that they conducted it after school on weekdays (which was stupid as i was battling the combined stresses of trying to do school work, completing assignments, being on a SSRI medication doing wonders to my brain chemistry LOL, being chronically bullied, and facing DR/DP dissociation on a daily timetable). And then going to a psychiatrist that looked like he couldn't give a F$#! what i was talking about and trying to define to him as how I felt. And it was always the same old story "it's just too much anxiety". I would generally get home from school most days exhausted and falling asleep at every possible opportunity I had.

By the meaning "delusional thinking"

I was suggesting the fact that i have been having illogical and ridiculous paranoid beliefs, ones that I never had prior to SSRI usage and withdrawls. Like those seen in psychosis. For example I would suspect people of poisoning food or planning to hurt me, things like that. But i can distinguish and know that they are irrational belief structures but these are scary to say the least.

Kia Ora ! It sounds to me like your definitely experiencing WD symptoms from tapering too fast. Let me assure you that these symptoms do pass eventually and full recovery happens. 1 year ago, I had the scariest symptoms I could imagine. I thought id never get better, yet here I am, one year on and I feel back to normal. A moderator will be along to help you out and give you some links to have a read of. In the meantime, you could tell us exactly how you came off the medication? Did you just stop taking it ? Or was there a taper involved? And if so how did you go about it.

Someone will be along soon - just wanted to say hi from a fellow kiwi.

Nick

Kia ora Nick.

Thankyou for your reply

I believe I am experiencing WD symptoms, I quit cold turkey around 5-7 months ago cant quite put a finger on it at the moment. When i quit cold turkey i had allready quit numerous times without the severity of symptoms in which I am describing now. After the second or the third dosage in which i went on (again memory is hazy sorry) I think there were two 4-6 month intervals in which I went back on them. I am delighted to hear of your full recovery and hope that is the outcome as am sincerely scared regarding people in forums and posts disclosing that they have been suffering ADWD and other issues like PSSD for a time of 5+ years.

Did you suffer cognitive decline and severe anhedonia? those are my most bothersome symptoms and of course PSSD. Lethargy is another huge problem for me. People have been describing another term in which describes the feelings to me quite accurately and that is the "blank mind". Like imagination, creativity, Rationality, Emotion, Pleasure are all devoid and dont exist in everyday life. 

Sorry for the late reply, like stated in reply above, sleeping frequently, loosing track of time.

Zinzan

Welcome from another kiwi.

So glad you found sa

nz11

Hello from Hokitika West Coast.

Thanks nz11, Glad I found this forum would honestly not know what to do otherwise. 

Peace

Zinzan

Hi NZRecovery,

I wanted to say hello, welcome you, and tell you how sorry I am that you are going through such an awful situation with the withdrawal.  I too am on Zoloft, but at one point I went off and went off fast. I had many of the same symptoms you currently have. It was so very awful, I really believed I had somehow broken myself and I would be stuck with all these symptoms. I reinstated, waited to stabilize and have started tapering, slowly. I feel much better now.  There is hope and yes, you will recover. I spent hours reading the different posts here on this website, sometimes I would read the same post over and over just because it made me feel better. The moderators here are great and will help you. Hang in.

RS

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the welcoming, And thanks for the reply. Would you recommend that I reinstate a dose or continue with the discontinuation of SSRI use? I see that you feel much better now and would that otherwise of happend without reinstating your dosage and then tapering? I feel like I have left the discontinuation for far to long and thus the effects are probably more ingrained/profound. How long was it before you reinstated your dose from when you went off it too fast? I have left mine roughly around 4-6 4-5 months without doing anything about it hoping time would draw a better conclusion yet It has not.

I am in severe depression now as had a freind pass away a few weeks ago but that was just like adding icing to the cake kind of thing (in a negative retrospective of course). And that sent me into a shocked kind of state with overthinking and overwelming despair/hurt. Manic kind of state. Memories/regrets, guilt etc. There was a problem before that it just kind of took this severe trauma to make me realize that my cognition and other aspects were not in check and there was a severe imbalance there before that, in which I did recoqnise but didn't treat in anyway. Social situations really set it off for me and made me realize how far i was behind conversation and at first just put it down to being disinterested,But when trying to listen and respond back i couldn't find the information nor-normal cognitive abilities in which I possed before.

And found it odd that there was no passion nor desire to do anything apart from playing video games and anything to that stimulation, which was very odd again because that was the only thing where as before there was music, intrigue in documentary films (loved documentarys) and knowlege of aviation related topics etc. All these things i seemed to thrive on but alas no more was the case. Like living and breathing these particular activities and that what ultimately brings joy and hapiness to life, as well as communicating and doing good things for people without questioning or thinking that it was a task or looking in a negative outlook. 

Sorry about the rant just needed to let off some thoughts.

Thanks for the support and am so glad you are feeling better, I will hang in here for the meantime, haha nah i mean the whole time, just somewhat tired and exhausted. People truly underestimate the power of the mind and the debilitating effects of Drug withdrawl/Mental illnesses.

Zinzan

• Moderator Emeritus

NZRecovery -- we need you to post your medication history -- drugs, dates, (when you started it and changed doses), discontinuations and reinstatements -- in a signature. 

Please do not reinstate sertraline until after we know this. We'll probably suggest a very small dose, not an amount that you would normally have taken. This topic provides instructions on how to create a signature that will appear below all your posts:
Please put your withdrawal history in signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hey Scallywag,

I will post a medication history tomorrow.  As it is very late here (3:03 am) and need to get some sleep. 

A quick question.

Im taking 5-HTP and a mens multi at the moment would you recommend those supplements based on the fact that what im experiencing is AD withdrawal?

Helps me sleep but little worried about the role it plays in increasing serotonin levels and how this could effect my current levels and returning to anti-depressent medication, as thus altering it now could lead to minimized effect from introducing SSRI medication down the track?

Thanks,

Zinzan

Qoute:

All medical sources agree: Reinstating the medication (at a reduced dosage) soon after quitting can reduce or eliminate withdrawal symptoms. You can then taper more slowly from that level of medication. The window when reinstatement may work for reducing withdrawal symptoms varies from individual to individual; immediate reinstatement is best. After time passes, it is less likely that reinstatement will help. Reintroducing larger dosages of the drug tends to make symptoms worse.

Well im [ ]....

Edited by scallywag
remove offensive language

Gee i thought that there were certain words that triggered '*' 's when used. Maybe that was one that hadnt been considered before.

Looking forward with interest to reading your sig later today.

Try not to stress out or panic.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Mentor

Hi ZinZan,

In answer to your questions, I am very glad I reinstated. I believe I was off of the medication for one or two months, perhaps three. I am not sure because I had other medical problems going on and was in and out of the hospital during that period. In addition to the physical withdrawal symptoms I had bad cognitive function as well.  I do however think that I reinstated at too high of a dose.  I had just found this website and I can't recall if I reinstated the same day or perhaps a few days later.  If I had read everything more carefully and taken my time I would have reinstated at a much lower dose. My fault, all the information I needed was in front of me, I was just desperate to stop the pain. I do believe that for me reinstating was the only way to resolve my situation.   I feel much better these days and I find my thinking is sharp again.   The Moderators here on amazing. Their dedication, medical knowledge, and willingness to do research is very impressive.  So my suggestion would be take their advice, think about it, and then make your decision, but if you are going to reinstate, you probably should decide fairly quickly. To reiterate, for me reinstatement of the Setraline (Zolft) was the right choice, for me it was the only choice if I was going to survive.  I am following your posts and feel empathy for what you are going through.  I know you will eventually get better, however even one day of feeling the withdrawal is awful. The relief can't come fast enough. I know....

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Mentor

Hi NZR,

I just read your signature. Wow, you've been through a lot. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Hi Rachael. 

Yeah, Great fun the whole experience :P

Little bit scared at the moment as i have been off for a long time and didn't implement any kind of taper,

so thus the window of recovery probably is most likely zilch now.

Never give up i guess. 

Lol.

Zinzan

Thanks for doing your drug sig. Zinzan.

Marijuana is often a gateway drug as you now know, to very dangerous drugs....those pushed by doctors.

Don't be scared in time you will get better you will just have to be patient.

Wishing you strength.

Recovering paxil addict

Thanks for doing your drug sig. Zinzan.

Marijuana is often a gateway drug as you now know, to very dangerous drugs....those pushed by doctors.

Don't be scared in time you will get better you will just have to be patient.

Wishing you strength.

Thanks nz11, made me laugh haha

So can any moderators suggest what dosage I should return back onto and how I should proceed?

Would be much appreciated.

Zinzan

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey thanks for post a signature. In my previous post, I left out one important word from my request, "doses." Will you add the dose that you were taking "on and off" earlier this year to your sig?

As you've probably read in the topic about reinstating (posted by ChessieCat), reinstatement of the drug is currently the best known "antidote" for withdrawal symptoms. Despite that status of the "best", it is not a sure-fire guarantee.  Some people experience worsened withdrawal as a result of reinstatement and there is no way to predict who will be affected in this way. Reinstatement is a trial and error process and SA's approach is a cautious one.  Reinstatement requires patience and attention:

• patience, because symptoms don't resolve overnight, it may take many weeks for your CNS (central nervous system) to settle down

--- and ---

• attention: you will need to keep track of your symptoms on paper, which symptoms arise and the times of day they arise or change intensity.

Once we know what dose you were taking we'll get back to you with a suggested reinstatement dose for your consideration.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks ChessieCat for the link. Have read the post prior.

Scallywag : Have posted the dosage I was on during that period. 

I understand what is required and will try literally anything at this point, Understand the point of the CNS recovery from the chemical nightmare that I induced.

5-hpt seems to be helping somewhat with reduction in headaches, able to eat, All other symptons seem to be staying at bay at this present time.

I understand also that if taking 5-hpt I will have to eliminate it completely so what is your recommendation on basis to do with continuing 5-hpt, For a certain period? Or should I stop usage as know that cant mix SSRI medications with 5-Htp as possible risk of Serotonin syndrome.

Thanks

Zinzan 

• Moderator Emeritus

Most doctors would probably advise reinstating a "maintenance dose" > 20 mg, possibly back to 50 mg. Our approach is far more cautious out of respect both for the adjustments your CNS has made since your last dose of sertraline and for the possibility that your CNS is now sensitized. A sensitized CNS will yield a strong symptoms to a reinstatement.

It's always a good idea to reread the reinstatement topic before starting a reinstatement and again a few days into it.

Consider testing your CNS with a small dose of sertraline, 1 mg.  It will take 4 days for the drug to reach consistent daily cycle, "steady state," and then another 4-7 days for your CNS to start to respond to the reinstated dose.  Please

• take the sertraline at the same time each day,
    -- and --
  • keep track on paper of when you take your dose and when your symptoms arise or change in intensity.

Keep posting on how things go for you.

scallywag's Introduction

• Mentor

Hi Zinzan,

I am just checking in to see how you are feeling.  How are your headaches?

Best,

Rachel

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

I quit cold turkey 100 mg zoloft(sertraline) in May. One week went down to 50mg then stopped completely. Since then has been a downward trajectory, the first month was actually not so bad, symptoms really started to get bad after 2 months, and have been getting worse ever since. Reinstating has been on my mind, but I dont think I would risk it at this point and dont really think I am considering it seriously as an option after 4 and half months.

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009 Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it. Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remember  if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and aripiprazole HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016 Hospitalised - November 13th - 15 mg Mirtazapine until  6th December, decreased to 7.5 mg

Since 24 December been shaving off a little each day.  Now taking approx. 4 mg or 1/4 of 15 mg tablet.  Stopped reducing further for the moment.

Began reducing quite quickly again. Since about 9th June 2017 have stopped taking Mirtazapine.

Off medication for over three years as of June 2020.

• Mentor

I'm so sorry to hear that it's been bad. I went through a terrible withdrawal, however I did end up reinstating because I was only a month or two in.  For me, that period of time was awful, so I can really relate.  I hope that you get some relief soon.

Rachel

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello ZinZan (I guess you are a rugby fan?)

Just skimming over your thread, and noticed you were taking a multi-vitamin.  This could be quite activating, especially if it contains B-vitamins.  If headaches etc are still an issue, you might try stopping the multi, and trying magnesium and fish-oil (do you take these?).

Best of luck,

from another Kiwi,

Karen 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.