Effeffexor: Where do I begin

Effeffexor

Anyone know which of the meds I'm taking is most likely to be the cause of liver calcification? I never drink.

Effexor XR

Concerta

Levothyroxine

Estradiol

Began tapering on 9/22/16 from 150mg EffexorXR

Freedom on 05/10/17
I'm finding life again after YEARS of meds that made me out of it and gaming addiction that took me from real life.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race! 

Is there a guide to tapering off stimulants? Is this off topic for the forum? Thanks. Id like to do research on the next one i need to tackle.

Edited by scallywag
merged topic "How to taper stimulants" started April 11, 2017

Freedom on 05/10/17
I'm finding life again after YEARS of meds that made me out of it and gaming addiction that took me from real life.

• 1 month later...

I finished my taper to zero 2 weeks ago but I wanted to make sure I was ok before I posted this. Just a little note to say I'm finally free. I'm finally me. Thanks.

Freedom on 05/10/17

Congratulation on your major achievement! Im 8 weeks off myself. Feels great to be off this poison ????

<p>Sept 2015: 5 mg Cipralex for 3 weeks. Lots of side effects. Reduced to 2.5 mg for 2 weeks. Experiencing withdrawal and side effects still after dose reduction. Quit after almost 4 weeks on 2.5 mg because of adverse effects. Experiencing withdrawal symptoms still. Reinstating 1mg after 3 weeks. Reduced to 0.50 after 2 days due to sensitive reaction (dysautonomia) and trip to ER. January 2016: After 14 months of tapering from 0.5 mg im now down to 0.08mg. Planing on one more drop before 4-8 weeks healing, then jump to zero. 14.03.17: Lexapro free!

• Administrator

Congratulations, Eff!

Are you off everything, or just Effexor? How did it go over the last 6 months?

Anyone know which of the meds I'm taking is most likely to be the cause of liver calcification? I never drink.
Effexor XR
Concerta
Levothyroxine
Estradiol

Are you still taking any of these? Did a test show liver calcification? You'd have to research the adverse effects of each of these on drugs.com to see which causes liver damage. A combination can be bad, too, start with the Drug Interactions Checker.

Is there a guide to tapering off stimulants? Is this off topic for the forum? Thanks. Id like to do research on the next one i need to tackle.

Do you mean Concerta? If I were you, I'd let my nervous system settle from going off Effexor before reducing Concerta.

We don't have specific instructions for Concerta, tapering is the same 10% reduction per month.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hope you are gonna be OK, Effeffexor!

You went from 150mg to nil in 8 months.  Sounds fast to me. (Due to cut to 112.5mg in a day or so), but everyone is different.

Watch out for waves - many of us have congratulated ourselves on getting to nil (including me), only to be set back.

Not trying to be negative for you here, I really hope you are, indeed, made of stern stuff, but to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Rooting for you, so that I can soon follow.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Congratulation on your major achievement! Im 8 weeks off myself. Feels great to be off this poison ????

Thanks and congrats!!

Freedom on 05/10/17

Congratulations, Eff!

Are you off everything, or just Effexor? How did it go over the last 6 months?

Effexor XR

Concerta

Levothyroxine

Estradiol

Are you still taking any of these? Did a test show liver calcification? You'd have to research the adverse effects of each of these on drugs.com to see which causes liver damage. A combination can be bad, too, start with the Drug Interactions Checker.

Do you mean Concerta? If I were you, I'd let my nervous system settle from going off Effexor before reducing Concerta.

We don't have specific instructions for Concerta, tapering is the same 10% reduction per month.

It was mainly steady for the most part as I came off slowly this time. I used to try to get off too soon out of impatience or try to taper as others do. I learned to go 5 beads at a time. Any more than that was too much - for me. Everyone is differnt. My husband went from 150 mg to nothing overnight a couple years ago. Was suicidal a few days later. After that he experienced no issues. However, we are vastly different. I know of many factors involved with this. It's best to learn how to listen to our bodies.

Main thing that helped was my diet and I used milk thistle to help detox. (This might make symptoms worse in some as it might make withdrawal faster but at 5 beads at a time, it was ok for me.)

Yes the scan showed calcium deposits on my liver. That was really the turning point for my diet change. I don't know for sure but I'm wondering if excessive soda pop drinking could do this. I know that and meds surely could.

I tried twice to switch from Estrodial to Bio-identical hormones and... let's just say I seemed possessed and my husband won't survive that again. Nearly ruined my marriage twice.

Concerta is for my narcolepsy. Sadly, I don't feel I'll ever get off of that until someone feels kind enough to make medicine for the.. what is it.. 1-2% of us on the planet? I hate greed.

So yah, I'm doing really well. I have days, but I use an assortment of things (natural) based on what I'm feeling. Usually it's feelings of grief I have to handle.

I'm trying to stay very committed to diet as any variance whatsoever not only makes me angry and impatient but extremely tired. Soy pretty much puts me in a coma. I've been soda pop free for.. 4 months now.

Freedom on 05/10/17

Hope you are gonna be OK, Effeffexor!

You went from 150mg to nil in 8 months. Sounds fast to me. (Due to cut to 112.5mg in a day or so), but everyone is different.

Watch out for waves - many of us have congratulated ourselves on getting to nil (including me), only to be set back.

Not trying to be negative for you here, I really hope you are, indeed, made of stern stuff, but to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Rooting for you, so that I can soon follow.

Thanks peng. I love pingu!

I should mention that while 150 was my starting point that I have been tapering very slowly these past few months. My memory is horrible but I think I've been at 15 beads for quite some time.. like months. I don't know. I'd have to find where I wrote it all down. I went 5 beads at a time.

Freedom on 05/10/17

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Checking in! Just a lil note to say I'm doing great. Every day is better. So so glad to be free. I'm ever thankful for this forum. I'm positive I could not have done this without the instructions on how to taper and the support provided. I will probably try to get off my other meds at some point but I'm letting my body rest. 

Enjoyed reading The Brain That Changes Itself. Excellent book on neuroplasticity!! Not all is lost for us. 

Freedom on 05/10/17

• Moderator Emeritus

It's great to hear.  Thank you for posting.  Take care of yourself.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

If any of your symptoms come back, please return right away.  We did have one case of Effexor that had issues 8 mos out, but they wen much faster than we suggest.  If you have any pills left, you may want to keep them just in case.  This person I am speaking out was on for 15 years, and decreased from 75mg over about 4 months ('over the summer"), and 8 mos after, she got hit with WD symptoms pretty hard.  Just be careful with your body, get enough sleep, try not to get stressed, eat good, wholesome foods, and lets hope you come out just great.  We are always here if you need any help. If you start an exercise regimen that you have not done before, please start slow, because our bodies can react differently, so please start slow! Stay off the soda, it is awful for you, and the diet is worse for you than the regular, because t still makes your pancrease react as if you had a full sugar drink. Neither are good for you

Best of luck!

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Let's remember most people get off this stuff in one day. Taking 8 months to do so takes incredible patience and restraint. I am cautious, but optimistic. In order for anything to work you have to keep hope and remain positive. 

I am avoiding excercise of an aerobic nature right now and focusing on stretching and just good old-fashioned getting outside in the sun.

Yes all soda isn't good. I drink Perrier for a treat! ?

Freedom on 05/10/17

• 4 weeks later...

Just checking in to say I'm still doing good. Hope all of you are well. 

Freedom on 05/10/17

Good to hear you're doing well. Nice to read your update 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg