SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Timetobedone: Need advice - Viibryd withdrawal

Timetobedone

Hey everyone-

A little history, many moons ago (about 17 years now), I was put on an antidepressant to stop my migraines. I was never depressed and never had anxiety. Over the years, I was put on several different antidepressants because the headaches would come back. Nonetheless, I haven't had a migraine in years and decided that I truly do not need to be on this drug anymore. After going through a horrific z-drug and benzo withdrawal due to mis-diagnosed insomnia (which was really probably related to the antidepressants), I learned a lot and that pretty much convinced me that I needed to work to get off the antidepressant as well. It's been almost 3 years since I went through that and successfully tapered off those drugs. I knew my CNS would be sensitive so I waited until this year to start the antidepressant withdrawal.

Back in March/April, I started a taper on Viibryd 40mg. I am down to 20mg. I have been doing fairly well with a few days here and there of withdrawal symptoms but nothing major. I decided in June that once I got down to 20mg, I was going to hold there for a while to stabilize, which I have no been doing for 3 months. I have felt great to the point, I finally started doing a mild work out daily. All has been going well for several weeks, and then I started getting adrenaline dumps on Friday. Scared the living you know what out of me (although it shouldn't since I experienced this horror with benzo and z-drug withdrawal), but nonetheless, for the past 3 days, I have been experiencing adrenaline dumps, some mild burning across my chest (ironically no muscle pain in my chest or body) just burning, major stomach queasiness, and internal tremors/shaking, limb weakness, sweating, inability to focus, and of course anxiety because all of the sudden I feel like complete crap!  Being that I started this taper about 6 months ago and have been holding for the last 3 months, is this normal for antidepressant withdrawal? In 2012 I had an echocardiogram on my heart and it was found to be structurally fine.I don't drink, smoke, do any kind of recreational drugs, or drink caffeine, and  I have regular blood tests when I got to the doctor twice a year and all my levels have been normal, so I don't honestly think there is anything wrong with me. But historically, whenever waves hit me, I tend to lose my mind questioning what is wrong with me.

I haven't been able to find much about Viibryd withdrawal. So I am grasping at straws here to know if what I am experiencing is normal.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Was put on antidepressants for migraines in 1999. Have taken several different ones including Amitriptyline, Paxil, Trazadone, Lexapro, Zoloft, and now Viibryd. Was misdiagnosed with insomnia and put on Ambien for several years when Trazadone stopped working. Big mistake by my doctor. I didn't truly have insomnia. But had sleep issues because of the antidepressants. Nonetheless, when the FDA came out with warnings on Ambien, my doctor cut my dose in half (10mg nightly, never more, only taken as prescribed) and I went through living hell immediately but my doctor had no idea what was wrong so she added Ativan to the mix for 4 months. Needless to say, I got really really sick with anxiety beyond anything I can explain. After several months, I researched on my own and found out what the problem was. I was in withdrawal.

June 2013, Viibryd 40mg, 10mg of Ambien

July 2013, Ambien cut in half to 5mg, doctor added .25mg Ativan 3-4 times per days as needed.

Dec 2013, rapid taper off Ativan because of tolerance withdrawal and horrible sxs.

April 2014, finished 5 mg taper of Ambien

April 2016-40Mg Viibryd taper started. Viibryd was cut by 5mg increments from April 2016- August 2017; always reduced as tolerated. Held at 10mg for a year to stabilize. Yes, these are larger cuts than recommended, but it worked for me.

August 27, 2017-Done with Viibryd

Worst symptoms now are tension headaches and increased anxiety. Tolerable, as I have managed to maintain a full time job and raise two kids without issue.  Symptoms are just annoying and fuel my anxiety. Take 5-10mg of Atarax per day as needed to help take the edge of anxiety.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi timetobedone,

Welcome to SA.  I hope you find the information, knowledge and support here helpful.  Thank you for completing your signature.  The drug overview is very clear and very helpful.  Please remember to update whenever you make a change so it remains current.

The reduction in your dose by 1/2  over a few months is regarded as a fast taper here at SA.  SA recommends a taper of no more than 10% of the previous dose with a holding period of at least 3-4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Some members have found that when they first drop their dose they can feel good, but a large drop can catch up with you several months later.  It could be that your CNS was handling it okay and the exercise overstressed your CNS.  Some members who are doing the 10% taper do okay and then an external life stressor occurs and sets them back.  Nobody can know for sure whether it was the exercise or not.  You might have ended up with the same thing happening without the exercise.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

glenmullen_symptoms_AS Appendix 1.pdf

Tips for tapering off Viibryd (vilazodone)

exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Check out the above links and then you can ask questions here in you own Intro/Update topic.  You can also journal your progress here in this topic.  Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for the response. My doctor actually dropped my dosage from 40mg to 30mg essentially overnight because he changed my prescription. I then did a couple much smaller cuts to get down to the 20mg because I was feeling pretty good. Nonetheless, it is good to know that is normal for this stuff to catch up with you a couple months later. As I mentioned previously, I am an expert when it comes to benzo and z-drug withdrawal, but this is new territory for me! I think my biggest issue right now is neuro-anxiety and excessive cortisol. Its extremely frustrating because I am completely calm as all of this is happening so the concept of "anxiety' doesn't really make sense to me. I just have to keep telling myself that this is chemical anxiety.. not true anxiety.
Thanks again for the response!

Was put on antidepressants for migraines in 1999. Have taken several different ones including Amitriptyline, Paxil, Trazadone, Lexapro, Zoloft, and now Viibryd. Was misdiagnosed with insomnia and put on Ambien for several years when Trazadone stopped working. Big mistake by my doctor. I didn't truly have insomnia. But had sleep issues because of the antidepressants. Nonetheless, when the FDA came out with warnings on Ambien, my doctor cut my dose in half (10mg nightly, never more, only taken as prescribed) and I went through living hell immediately but my doctor had no idea what was wrong so she added Ativan to the mix for 4 months. Needless to say, I got really really sick with anxiety beyond anything I can explain. After several months, I researched on my own and found out what the problem was. I was in withdrawal.

July 2013, Ambien cut in half to 5mg, doctor added .25mg Ativan 3-4 times per days as needed.

Dec 2013, rapid taper off Ativan because of tolerance withdrawal and horrible sxs.

April 2016-40Mg Viibryd taper started. Viibryd was cut by 5mg increments from April 2016- August 2017; always reduced as tolerated. Held at 10mg for a year to stabilize. Yes, these are larger cuts than recommended, but it worked for me.

Worst symptoms now are tension headaches and increased anxiety. Tolerable, as I have managed to maintain a full time job and raise two kids without issue.  Symptoms are just annoying and fuel my anxiety. Take 5-10mg of Atarax per day as needed to help take the edge of anxiety.

The symptoms of anxiety and "surges"  is two of the most distressing ones for me.  I am into day 40 of my first taper and it is now just getting better.  I still have the burning sensations, but not as severe.  It takes time to come off anti depressants.  

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Supplements Cal/Mag , Potassium, , Multi Vitamin.  digestive aid, antioxidant

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

The symptoms of anxiety and "surges"  is two of the most distressing ones for me.  I am into day 40 of my first taper and it is now just getting better.  I still have the burning sensations, but not as severe.  It takes time to come off anti depressants.  

Yeah.. I haven't experienced this since I went through acute withdrawal from benzos. I think, now that I know what is going on (and I have textbook cortisol issues right now), I am much calmer about the whole thing and that is definitely helping. I am learning as I go :)

• 1 year later...

Hey all-

I tapered off Viibryd 40mg over a period of 1 1/2 years. I have had the traditional withdrawal symptoms.  After having endured and survived in perfect condition,  a nasty benzo withdrawal about 4 years ago, I finally finished coming off all psych meds. Viibryd is a NASTY drug to come off of (my doctor confirmed this for me so i know it wasn’t just me and was very understanding through my ups and downs coming off this med). 

Luckily or unfortunately (depends on how you look at it) benzo withdrawal set me up with an idea of what to expect. I will say this has been no where near as bad as that experience but its still miserable. I was never put on antidepressants (of which there have been many over the last 20 years) for depression or anxiety. I was started on them to control migraines. Prior to interdose withdrawal from ambien and ativan, and then the withdrawal coming off those meds, I never had depression or anxiety. Even going through withdrawal, I haven’t dealt with any kind of true depression other than a 2 day stint of the brutal dark depression that reared its ugly head in the midst of acute withdrawal from Ativan. The anxiety is a whole other issue. I have learned a lot on how to manage the anxiety and luckily, it doesn’t last for more than 3-4 days at a time until I get a couple day break (typical waves and windows pattern). 

I am going into week 9 off Viibryd. I am not on any other meds now. The worst symptoms have been headaches which I seemed to have had non-stop for the first 4-5 weeks (migraine strength..go figure), nausea, muscle cramps, and heart palpitations. This last week I have had one strange symptom happen twice. It feels like I am having a panic attack with no panic (ie no anxiety until afterwards when i start fretting over what just happened, no sweating, no chest tightness, no impacted breathing, no shaking) but I can feel a weird uncomfortable sensation rising from my stomach that seems to run up my sternum and then I get really nasuseous and feel a little weak. I also noticed a metallic taste/feeling after it happened. My heart will race for a bit and then about an hour later once the nausea subsides (I have hard time dealing with nausea) and my heart stops racing, I calmly fall asleep. This had happened twice around 8pm or so. The only anxiety I have is from wondering what happened to me. I am actually very calm as if I am observing the symptoms during the whole episode. My question..does this sound like an adrenaline surge?

Sadly, I am convinced that my withdrawal from Ativan and Ambien 4 years ago, left me with selective memory and a even a little PTSD so I overanalyze everything I am feeling at all times. I am sure I felt this all when I went through benzo withdrawal but it was so horrific at that time, I often dont remember the exact symptoms. I think when withdrawal is that bad, we tend to block out the memories once we are able to move on. Even as I am questioning the weird symptoms I am going through now, I offer everyone who is struggling a glimmer of hope. I maintain a full time, high stress job and am a mom to very active kids without issue. I have a 100% normal life.  I have my moments where I feel like crap, but also have those moments where I feel very normal with no stress and no worries, even after being on an antidepressant and z-drug for 20 years! There is hope!

Any feedback on my weird symptom would be greatly appreciated! I find that having knowledge about my symtpoms has actually been a powerful anti-anxiety tool for me.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Timetobedone: Need advice - Viibryd withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Timetobedone, and welcome back!

This topic may answer your question: -waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes

As for the metallic taste, other members have mentioned strange tastes.  Our brain controls our hormones and we are experiencing withdrawal because our brain is trying to regain homoeostasis.  When I was pregnant I could taste the metal when I used cutlery to eat with.  I wasn't on an AD at the time.  I was also very fortunate that cigarettes tasted awful once I fell pregnant and thankfully I have never smoked since.

19 minutes ago, Timetobedone said:

I find that having knowledge about my symtpoms has actually been a powerful anti-anxiety tool for me.

Yes, I completely agree with this.  Understanding what is happening means that it isn't as scary.  And because we aren't as scared we don't end up with what Claire Weekes calls second fear, or fear of the fear.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

exactly! When I was going through withdrawal from Ambien (FDA cut woman’s recommended dosage from 10 to 5mg) , I was in the complete dark about what I was experiencing. The doctor put me on Ativan thinking it was just typical anxiety, not realizing that I was really in withdrawal. It was a horrific experience. After I got tired of not knowing what was happening, I started researching and figure out my problems. It didn’t make t any easier because then I also had to get through a benzo withdrawal, but I was educated and knew I wasn’t going to die! Time was really my only friend at that point.

Thanks for the response! I will check the link out!

• 4 months later...

Hi TTBD,

I just wanted to thank you for your posts.  I was started on Viibryd in a treatment center and regret every minute now.  There are not many people who have been on it...you are the second I have talked to.  I am in the works of trying to get things set up to start tapering it very slowly...getting my doctor going has been frustrating...plus I need to move so that stress is not helping anything!  If you have ANY tips I sure would appreciate it!!!  

How long were you on it?  

I tried tapering in Dec after tapering to 10 in July and was horrified at the symptoms!!!!  Went back on the 10 and want to start getting off as feel the longer I am on it the worse it gets.  I now have problems if I wait to long to take the dose which I never had before. :( 

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-Feb '18 Amiloride .25mg  5/18 off Amiloride d/t react. Clonaz compounded  

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

• 1 month later...

Hello-

Just a quick question for the group. I am 7 months off of Viibryd (after a 1 1/2 year taper). For the most part, I have been doing pretty good. About 6 weeks ago I started working with a Naturopath MD because I was having horrible anxiety and stomach issues. She did a full comprehensive blood work panel on me and all my blood work was great. So we suspected that I may be gluten intolerant, so I removed gluten from my diet, which was rough, but I got through that. I was doing pretty well and then started having horrible muscle tension, bad headache, woozy feeling, stomach issues, etc. Anxiety kicked in full force and I have been panicking and obsessed with worrying what was wrong with me. I thought maybe I had eaten something with gluten in it but it’s been about 3 days now. This afternoon, it dawned on me that maybe my problem was that I was in a wave because I cant explain what is going in. Is that possible to have a wave at 7 months out after feeling pretty good for a while? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.