SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

cpuusage

i try & Not judge - it seems 80% of this World population is locked into some kind of Egoic madness. collective delusion & is fast asleep.

Ironically it is severe states of psychosis/madness that has seemed on one level to have woken me up a bit & shifted things - like some form of initiation. A dark Night of the Soul - A Spiritual Crisis - But i don't have categorical answers to it all. & i am Not Enlightened.

It does also seem to be on another level a serious illness. That it has been & is differential.

http://www.spiritualcompetency.com/dsm4/lesson5_1.asp

Various psychiatric drug treatments since 1990. Prozac & Stelazine in 1994 for a few years. 1200mg Amisulpride in 1998 for a year. 1999 to current time have maintained 200mg of Amisulpride & increased to 300mg a few years ago, with 2 stopping attempts in 2001 & 2003/4. i stopped all medications 5 times, for around 8 years in total, but the last 3 withdrawal/stopping attempts were disastrous. Am very unsure about stopping medication again. Have recently (in Winter 2018) had to increase the Amisulpride to 400mg. 

Healing Sanctuary - http://healingsanctuary.proboards.com/

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I saw where your threads got merged.  Rest assured, this is simply a matter of housekeeping, that spirituality, while important to many people's healing journeys - is - unique to all of us, so your various spiritual expressions were put in one place.

I hear you about where to go when floridly psychotic.  There are few who are trained to listen, to be with this, to accept it without fear.  There are some, however, it's not non-existent, and you don't need to be born in a yurt in Mongolia to have extreme states recognized and affirmed as part of your process.

The difficult part is when you've been drugged for so long, to find the healing seeds in the years of experience.  One of our moderators, Shep, is finding great strides in mindfulness practices, to rewire her brain through severe DP/DR.  Will Hall has experience with extreme states, and may be available via Skype.  I've heard that Sean Blackwell (who focuses more on the bipolar aspects of awakening, but is open to extreme states, and has experienced a few himself) will Skype for free.

Ultimately, only you can decide what you want to choose and live with.  This is a site for reducing or tapering drugs, and taking charge of your own healing process.  Let us know if we can be helpful.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

i was free of all medication for two four year periods, & was in full time work for some 8 years, as well as having done 7 years of further education. i've had a dedicated & disciplined mindfulness practise for over 12 years. i've been following a more dedicated healing path for the past 15 years. i have taken charge of my healing process, life & live a very responsible life. i don't see that being on a low dose of one medication for a 27 year/life long condition of severe/enduring mental illness as any kind of failure. i think it's been the most responsible & wise thing to do to have maintained the medication for the past 12 years, all things considered. 

i had a long e-mail conversation with Sean Blackwell before he got more well known. i don't think his '3 day psychosis' can be compared with a case of long term/severe mental illness. i think Sean is elitist & i don't like his distinctions that he makes within mental health, i think that he is focused on far milder presentations of 'bipolar'.

i do think that there are differences within what people experience - the third/quarter full recovery statistic is long well known within psychiatry, & it's highly debatable why there are those differences.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/problemsdisorders/schizophrenia.aspx

"Many people with schizophrenia now never have to go into hospital and are able to settle down, work and have lasting relationships.

For every 5 people with schizophrenia:

• 1 will get better within five years of their first obvious symptoms
  • 3 will get better, but will have times when they get worse again
  • 1 will have troublesome symptoms for long periods of time."

Fair enough that this forum is the way it is, it has an obvious anti-psychiatry/anti-medication stance. i'm Not opposed to a more comprehensive psychiatry & potential wise use of medications. i think i've made incredible progress & achieved a lot in my life as things stand, considering what i have been through.

Saying that all of my history, experiences & difficulties is a spiritual emergence/shamanic crisis i don't think is either entirely accurate nor entirely helpful. i can appreciate the spiritual elements to it all however.

i vowed after the last major psychotic relapse/breakdown 12 years ago, after a 2 year tapered reduction off the medication, & doing everything 'by the book' that i'd rather take the medication the rest of my life than to go through such horrors again. i also vowed that if i was to try another medication reduction/withdrawal it would be done with proper & comprehensive understanding & help/support - none of which has ever materialised, & Not through any fault of my own.

As already said, the strong anti-psychiatry/anti-medication stance of this forum is maybe Not for me at this stage? i haven't felt that anyone so far on here has made any real attempt to validate, understand, acknowledge or realise the severity & complexities of what i have been through & the realities of my circumstances, in fact it's felt invalidating, romanticising & trivialising, & a denial of it all. i'm maybe better to seek out my own path away from this forum, & in other avenues. i have serious reservations also about the internet at this stage & it's usefulness within all these areas, after 12 years of a lot of internet use. It's Not all been that good an experience.

Various psychiatric drug treatments since 1990. Prozac & Stelazine in 1994 for a few years. 1200mg Amisulpride in 1998 for a year. 1999 to current time have maintained 200mg of Amisulpride & increased to 300mg a few years ago, with 2 stopping attempts in 2001 & 2003/4. i stopped all medications 5 times, for around 8 years in total, but the last 3 withdrawal/stopping attempts were disastrous. Am very unsure about stopping medication again. Have recently (in Winter 2018) had to increase the Amisulpride to 400mg. 

i've been to churches & temples, have sat with the mad in psychiatric hospitals, have eaten with millionaires & the homeless. Have studied all the Worlds religions, have sat with Shaman & the Enlightened, have trained extensively in Reiki, energy healing, Egyptian Magick, Alchemy, Gnosticism, & been initiated into various orders. Have read thousands of books. Any answer is within my own Soul, my own Truth & Being, my own connection with my Higher Self & Source.

i take a low dose of medication & have been through a very severe case of schizophrenia. i have very challenging & difficult overall life circumstances.

No where is there the deep validation, acknowledgement, understanding, compassion, help & support for it all. No shortage of judgements, projections, advice, pontificating, & people telling me how it all is & what to do & think.

What a bullsh*t society/civilisation - a mad house, a Global Insane Asylum - 90% of humanity is a mess of people stuck in their egoic madness, destroying the planet & running around being idiots. 

• Administrator

cpuusage, you can always stay at a low dose of drugs if you wish. It's better to take a low dose than to have to go to the hospital.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

cpuusage, you can always stay at a low dose of drugs if you wish. It's better to take a low dose than to have to go to the hospital.

Ideally i don't want to be on this drug, but it does appear to be the lesser of evils. If there had been & was viable alternatives then i would take them, but they're Not.

i'd like to see how other people would cope with the severity of illness that i have been through. i can't take seriously or compare 8 years of very severe/extreme/florid psychosis with Sean Blackwell's 3 day mild experience - & it would be ridiculous to.  

Until such a time as there is an appropriate & comprehensive understanding & support for my actual needs, then i'll maintain the medication.

I hear you about where to go when floridly psychotic.  There are few who are trained to listen, to be with this, to accept it without fear.  There are some, however, it's not non-existent, and you don't need to be born in a yurt in Mongolia to have extreme states recognized and affirmed as part of your process.

& who is going to take responsibility for treating me in such states? & provide the necessary care & support?

i don't think that any of this is either easy or simple, & i don't think that people really understand what it was all like.

i can see psychological/emotional, spiritual/transpersonal & sociological aspects to it all, but i can also see biological/pathological aspects to it all. It was/is a severe mental illness. 

i've had a very isolated life in the community, especially over the past 15 years - have been single 17 years & living alone 15 years. i was fully discharged from all psychiatric services over 5 years ago again. Where is the appropriate understanding, help & support? There isn't anywhere to go or services that can be accessed.

Alternative/spiritual healers have their limitations. & if i withdraw off the medication again, due to a combination of the withdrawal effects & underlying severe condition, then what? Another near catatonic extreme psychosis. No thanks.

i'd love it if there was some kind of synthetic telepathic VR device that other people could use & directly experience what i have done. It would change their tune in an instant.

i don't feel well as it is. Have been considering going back to the GP & increasing the medication again.

Have been having to fight the welfare reforms in the UK as a matter of survival. People are dying over all this.

It's been a hell of a year for me, the past 8 years have been incredibly hard again.

There is this disagreement as to what schizophrenia is? The Aetiology (cause) isn't known, & so people come up with all kinds of theories & opinions. To really break it down these theories cover 4 main areas (with cross overs) - Biological, Psychological/Emotional, Sociological & Spiritual/Transpersonal. There is an endless polemical debate between these 4 areas.

Some people claim it was abuse & trauma that made them ill, some that it was a brain condition, some that it's a psychological &/or spiritual crisis of some kind. Or a combination of those factors.

i think it makes sense to see it all as individual, complex & crossing all 4 areas - that the brain/body, mind/emotions, sociology/environment/relational & soul centred areas are all involved in some way. But we don't know.

The problem also is that outcomes/prognosis varies wildly, & people again debate various theories & ideas as to why that is -

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/problemsdisorders/schizophrenia.aspx

Outlook

Many people with schizophrenia now never have to go into hospital and are able to settle down, work and have lasting relationships.

For every 5 people with schizophrenia:

1 will get better within five years of their first obvious symptoms
3 will get better, but will have times when they get worse again
1 will have troublesome symptoms for long periods of time.

i'm Not denying anything environmental/sociological or psychological/emotional, Nor would i deny soul centred & spiritual aspects. Nor also would i deny biology within all these areas. What's really insane with all this 300 years long debate within all these areas, with in essence the same stupid argument, is the same endless polemics. & No side will ever come out on top with it all.

i don't know what to make of everything? i find life very weird, i find this society/culture/civilisation incredibly weird. i wrote this earlier today that sums things up -

i'm working with a new healer. She seems adamant that within a different cultural context what i have been through would have been seen, treated & apprehended as a Shamanic crisis/initiation & that by now i'd have been a powerful Shaman.

The reality is that i wasn't raised within a Shamanic culture - But Western Capitalist society. i went through mental health difficulties in childhood - i have been through 7 major/severe psychotic breakdowns, 4 hospitalisations, a serious suicide attempt that i was very lucky to survive, years of depression, anxiety & other difficulties, 17 years in alcoholism/addiction, & have been medicated most of the past 27 years.

i have been made utterly dependent on an anti-psychotic/neuroleptic medication, which i have been on for 17 years. If i stop taking it i end up in very severe illness. This year i've Not been feeling too well again, especially over the past few months. There doesn't seem a way to more fully resolve things & part of me has accepted the schizophrenia diagnosis, & the realities of a long term/life long severe illness/condition.

There hasn't been enough in the way of access to appropriate alternatives to address things differently. It's a struggle enough trying to maintain a degree of stability in the community & independent living, with all that entails, especially with maintaining eligibility for what little help i get with money in social security from the Government. i've been too unwell to work for a long time now.

It confuses me seeing alternative healers & exploring alternative views on psychosis/schizophrenia. Wouldn't things have resolved more by now if it was all more a spiritual/shamanic crisis? Why am i Not able to more fully resolve things after trying my best to from day one, & having worked with alternative/spiritual healers for the past 15 years, & been following a path of T-Total sobriety?

Due i feel to multiple factors i don't feel right at all at the moment. There has been a lot of stress & worry over recent years, my overall circumstances & dynamics are very hard. i do have a lot of challenges & difficulties in my life.

My dreams are incredibly vivid & weird. i keep getting into very odd states of consciousness, very odd emotional/feeling & anxiety states. i feel drained a lot of the time & overwhelmed with everything. The way this society/culture/civilisation is bothers me a lot. The way a lot of people are bothers me. It's been very difficult to focus on things, & i haven't properly read a book in years.

It's a hard one. On paper i do fit having been through a very severe case of schizophrenia. As much as i have focused on a spiritual/healing path things are Not resolved, far from it. i wonder if i ought to largely give up with all the spiritual work & working with healers? & try & focus on a far simpler life of self care & taking things easy.

i don't know with everything - it's a big achievement currently to even get basic tasks done.

Why is there such a lot of debate as to the nature/existence of schizophrenia? You don't seem to get it in the same way with depression, anxiety, OCD & other mental health disorders.

i post in a lot of various places on-line, & theories/beliefs vary wildly around subjects of mental health. There are so many different opinions, theories & perspectives on it all. It can be very confusing & Not that helpful. There appears to be such a lot of denial, invalidation, trivialisation & romanticising around schizophrenia/severe mental illness, especially from/by people that haven't been through it all. Why is that?

Case of plodding on with life as best that i'm able & doing the best that i can with the resources that i have.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/12/review-questions-long-term-use-antipsychotics/

i know that the neuroleptic drug that i'm on is bad, but i don't see how to get successfully off it.

Having read a number of your posts one thing stands out to me.  With all this study have you read the work of Doreen Valiente, in particular the passage:

To thou who thinkest to seek Me, know that thy seeking and

yearning shall avail thee not unless thou knowest the Mystery.

If that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee,

thou wilt never find it without.

It is the only passage of any teaching anyone on a spiritual/life quest needs to fully understand.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Having read a number of your posts one thing stands out to me.  With all this study have you read the work of Doreen Valiente, in particular the passage:

To thou who thinkest to seek Me, know that thy seeking and

yearning shall avail thee not unless thou knowest the Mystery.

If that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee,

thou wilt never find it without.

It is the only passage of any teaching anyone on a spiritual/life quest needs to fully understand.

Yea - All answers are within. Herein lies the 7 seas & myriad stars.

No One saves us but ourselves..

No One can & No One may..We ourselves must walk the Path..

― Buddha

"Every man’s true teacher is his own Higher Self, and when the life is brought under the control of reason, this Higher Self is released from bondage to appetites and impulses, and becomes Priest, Sage, and Illuminator.”

- Manly P.Hall

Man know thyself; then thou shalt know the Universe and God.

"God builds his temple in the heart on the ruins of churches and religions". - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Jesus said: I stood in the midst of the world. I came to them in the flesh. I found all of them drunk. I found not one of them to be thirsty. My soul was saddened by the son of men for they are mentally blind. They do not see that they have come into the world empty and they will go out of the world empty. But now they are drunk. When they sober up they will repent. - Gospel of Thomas

All the teachings of the World's wise; healers, mystics, poets, saints, shaman, seers, visionaries & sages speak of the 'same thing'.

Should i abandon seeking any answer to my difficulties, the complexities of the schizophrenia diagnosis, medication issues & circumstances with other people & society? i ask that seriously. All the main progress with everything has come from myself anyway, with the odd person pointing something out here or there. There has been a lot of time wasted, especially with an endless circular debate with people on-line over the past 12 years. You are right that there is No more of an answer 'out there' than there ever was. 

i do feel that for certain difficulties people are in need of genuine understanding/help/support - i don't see necessarily why that should be different for schizophrenia, but it does often appear to be.

In relation to my on-line postings people see what is on a screen & make all their assumptions & judgements, of which there are many. Truth is that no on the internet that doesn't know me, doesn't know me. i don't think that a lot of the people who are very close in my life really know me that well either. 

i shall continue my inner journey & contemplations. Following my own path, truth & being, my own knowledge & wisdom. i joined here in some little hope of some degree of mutual understanding & support for the realities & complexities of long term & severe mental health difficulties, a schizophrenia diagnosis & issues of long term medication dependency. But thanks for the comment.

Am a bit pissed off with what i see as the general denial, invalidation, trivialisation & romanticising of genuine schizophrenia & more severe mental health difficulties/experiences.

Am fed up also of the realities, difficulties & complexities of my overall circumstances, the diagnosis, medication dependency & lack of appropriate understanding, help & support.

Another week of all the same crap to battle through.

Within a Western Model around a quarter of people recover well long term from a 1st episode psychosis. That statistic i feel could be very different if there was better access to alternative treatment modalities, but currently there isn't.

i've done all that i can to address things - it's pointless to carry on going over & over the same things. i've stopped work with the healer - 15 years of working with alternative healers is enough.

i do need to bring things back to the working conclusion that i reached some years ago, an acceptance of the schizophrenia diagnosis & medication.

i need to accept everything, the realities of it all, & focus on the simple day to day living of my life.

• 1 month later...

Unethical Psychiatrists Misrepresent What is Known About Schizophrenia

http://www.antipsychiatry.org/siebert.htm

"Prominent psychiatrists are stating that schizophrenia is a brain disease like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, or multiple sclerosis.

These statements are disconfirmed by scientific facts: no neurologist can independently confirm the presence or absence of schizophrenia with laboratory tests because the large majority of people diagnosed with schizophrenia show no neuropathological or biochemical abnormalities and a few people without any symptoms of schizophrenia have the same biophysiological abnormalities.

People with schizophrenia do not usually progressively deteriorate: most improve over time.

Psychotherapy and milieu therapy, without medications, have led even the most severely disturbed individuals with schizophrenia to full recovery and beyond.

Many people diagnosed with schizophrenia have recovered on their own without any treatment, something never accomplished by a person with Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, or multiple sclerosis."

http://www.antipsychiatry.org/

The Radical Movement Redefining Schizophrenia

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/16/listen-to-the-voices-in-your-head/

People with unquiet minds are locked up, medicated, and stigmatized. Now an international support network is telling them they might not be sick at all.

By Samantha M. Shapiro  

• Moderator Emeritus

Wonderful read about the Hearing Voices Network, cpusage!  Thanks for posting it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

What stays unsaid in therapeutic relationships -

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/5XqIzN9SBNkfsxW8uNC2/full

Abstract

"This piece will explore my experiences accessing psychological therapies, concentrating on two different psychodynamic therapies and therapists I have had. One was more productive than the other. I will talk about what worked for me, what didn’t work; equality & identity on the “wrong” side of the therapeutic relationship; what happens to shame when one person is protected from it and the other isn’t; and finally what happens if your therapist doesn’t share your ethnicity or sexuality, how can you talk about things like racism and homophobia when they don’t “get” where your pain is coming from. I will finish the piece on what was the best experience of therapy I have ever had and why."

Here’s a quote from it:

“If you have the misfortune of experiencing racism, sanism, or homophobia from someone who has forced you to be in a therapeutic relationship with them, what can you do? You can fight it, but that will be seen as aggression, maladjustment, or lack of insight; if you surrender and become passive, you lack motivation or are apathetic. Those who don’t share a downgraded status need to ask themselves: how can I help the person maintain dignity, how can I help them be neither passive nor aggressive in a world that looks down on them? How can I help them explore racism, homophobia, etc., in safe and meaningful way? Or how can I change institutional discrimination, seeing as that institution pays my salary? Difficult questions, yes. But as we keep getting told by therapists, change is painful.

For all those reasons, I do like therapists who know the failings of the theory and practice of their professions and are open to having frank discussions. I was lucky to have someone like this recently. She was authentic and honest, she shared her vulnerability with me too but didn’t spill it. She was non-judgmental to the nth degree, could laugh at herself, the world and me; she understood the political & social context of the world we live in. When Trump won the US election, we were both as upset. She fought my corner with regards to housing and benefits. She thought pathologising language, such as “defect”, “maladaptive” and “deficit” had no place in our connection; she understood mental distress is more to do with a broken heart rather than a broken brain. She gently and warmly individualised the therapy to be meaningful to me. I love all animals, but sheep especially, so she turned my schema therapy for psychosis therapy into “ nd my inner sheep” therapy, turning dissociation into a lost sheep; my sense of being evil into a black sheep, so I could relate to it better; and for me to learn to be a kinder shepherd to my broken heart. She was more of co-conspirator than a medical professional, and I forever grateful for her input to my life”.

- Dolly Sen

Exposure To Stress As A Child Can Permanently Affect Your DNA -

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/exposure-stress-child-can-permanently-affect-your-dna/

"A team of researchers based at Tulane University School of Medicine has found that exposure to violence or other traumatic events within the family during childhood can leave lasting marks on stretches of DNA called telomeres. This study adds to the growing body of evidence that stressful home environments can permanently affect chromosomes. The work has been published in the journal Pediatrics.

Telomeres are repetitive sequences of DNA found at the end of chromosomes that act as protective caps, preventing chromosomes from sticking together or being degraded, both of which can lead to cell death. Telomeres can be thought of as a kind of cellular timer as they shorten a little bit every time a cell replicates until they reach a certain limit; after this the cell will no longer replicate. Telomere length has been linked to a variety of diseases and shorter telomeres have been associated with higher risks for heart disease, diabetes, cognitive decline and mental illness, to name a few."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_Childhood_Experiences_Study

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/acestudy/

Is Schizophrenia Associated with Brain Volume Changes Independently of Medication?

"Duncan Double, on his Critical Psychiatry blog, published a series of posts exploring the effects of antipsychotics on brain volume and the contention that these changes are tied to 'schizophrenia.' "The cerebral atrophy demonstrated by Johnstone et al (1976) was almost certainly due to antipsychotic medication, at least mainly, and was not an indication that schizophrenia is a brain disease." he writes. "Johnstone et al were wanting to make out that schizophrenia led to a dementing illness, as they found a significant association of increased ventricular size with measures of cognitive impairment. But any cognitive impairment in schizophrenia is functional not organic, so the whole basis of the paper was flawed. And, its misinterpretation has misled a whole generation of psychiatric researchers.""

https://www.madinamerica.com/2017/01/schizophrenia-associated-brain-volume-changes-independently-medication/

https://criticalpsychiatry.blogspot.co.uk/

Mistakes I Have Made in My Research Career

https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniabulletin/article/doi/10.1093/schbul/sbw165/2730504/Mistakes-I-Have-Made-in-My-Research-Career

What Have I Learned?

"If I had the chance to have a second career, I would try harder not to follow of the fashion of the herd. The mistakes I have made, at least those into which I have insight, have usually resulted from adhering excessively to the prevailing orthodoxy. Fortunately, I have often been rescued from this by the arrival of a brilliant young research fellow who has proposed a novel approach; I have usually resisted her/his idea initially before eventually come round to its merits. Sadly, this reliance on the corrective influences of younger colleagues has its limits. For example, David Marsden was already a famous professor when I met him; he must have been too senior for me to take seriously his insightful comments on the effects of antipsychotics on the brain! Consequently, I sailed on, believing the same false dogma for several decades.

It is curious that as I grow older, I find myself increasingly asked to give my predictions for future directions in psychiatry. This is likely to be as productive as asking Mick Jagger to comment on likely new trends in Hip-Hop. I shall therefore confine myself to saying that if I was starting afresh, I would throw myself into examining gene × environment interactions and epigenetics, as ways of elucidating the mechanistic pathways through which the environment contributes to the onset of psychosis. However, one has to be very good at statistics to succeed in this area. So if I wasn’t clever enough, I would instead go into neurochemical imaging; it is true that the maths is still complicated but at least the pictures of the brain are pretty.

I expect to see the end of the concept of schizophrenia soon. Already the evidence that it is a discrete entity rather than just the severe end of psychosis has been fatally undermined. Furthermore, the syndrome is already beginning to breakdown, for example, into those cases caused by copy number variations, drug abuse, social adversity, etc. Presumably this process will accelerate, and the term schizophrenia will be confined to history, like “dropsy.”"

Chemical or Psychological Psychotherapy?

https://www.madinamerica.com/2017/01/chemical-psychological-psychotherapy/

"All treatments of mental disorders are about changing something in the brain. Child psychiatrist Sami Timimi has therefore suggested that we call all treatments, including chemical treatment, psychotherapy. We treat the psyche. In everyday language, however, it is only the psychological treatments, we call psychotherapy. Psychological treatments aim to change a brain that does not function normally, back to normal (see the bottom line in the figure).

Chemical psychotherapy is what we usually call psychiatric drugs. They also change the brain, but not back to normal. They create an artificial third state that is neither normal nor the diseased state the patient came from. This creates many problems. Above all, it is a dead end, because you cannot get from this artificially induced state back to normal. There are simply no psychotropic drugs that are capable of this. Their effects are quite unspecific and comprehensive.

Psychological psychotherapy aims to enhance the normal brain functions, thereby creating as normal reactions as possible to the challenges life offers. Many mental disorders involve the patient responding inappropriately to traumas and emotional swings, and it therefore makes sense to teach the patient to think and react more appropriately. It can also make a lot of sense to change the patient’s environment, but this is often overlooked.

Chemical psychotherapy does the opposite. Psychiatric drugs disable a number of important brain functions and can lead to decreased interest in life in general (apathy), withdrawal from social relationships, lack of empathy and care for themselves and others, and at worst emotional numbness. Empathy helps us recognize the suffering we inflict on others through impulsive actions, and thus empathy helps restrain us. 1 A reduction of empathy is one of the mechanisms whereby psychiatric drugs can cause suicide and violence, and at worst homicide.

Psychiatric drugs can lead to loss of important human functions that are associated with motivation, creativity and love. These toxic drug effects on higher brain functions are often interpreted as an “improvement” (the patient is apparently less disturbed or disturbing to staff, family and friends). 2 But they are in fact an expression of brain damage."

New Guidelines to Define Schizophrenia Response, Resistance

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/873340

"A global expert working group has developed guidelines for defining treatment response and resistance in patients with schizophrenia, something that is desperately needed to guide the next generation of schizophrenia studies.

"Current criteria for treatment response and resistance are highly variable, and many studies did not evaluate adherence, so it is not clear if they are investigating treatment resistance or resistance to treatment," Oliver Howes, MD, PhD, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, United Kingdom, told Medscape Medical News.

"The overall impetus was to come up with criteria that mean researchers and clinicians are all clear that they are talking about the same thing when discussing treatment response and resistance," he explained. "We found that in the past, only 1 in 20 studies used the same criteria, so comparing studies was like comparing apples with oranges. We hope our benchmarks and guidelines will mean we can at last compare apples with apples," said Dr Howes.

"An even bigger issue is that most studies do not check whether people take their treatment as instructed, so it is not clear if patients were treatment resistant or treatment nonadherent. This is a big problem for clinical practice and clinical guidelines, because it makes it difficult to know what the evidence means for your patient," he added."

Usual routines with everything - i spend a lot of time helping to look after my mum who has had severe alzheimers for the past 7 years.

i get depressed, i get a lot of fear & severe anxiety. i get odd sleep & odd psychological & emotional states. i get a lot of physical ailments.

i find this World / Society / civilisation Mad.

i don't feel that i'm currently in any position to do anything about being stuck on the 300mg of Amisulpride. i don't have the necessary support or understanding to try another reduction at this stage.

What It’s Really Like To Live With Schizophrenia

https://health.good.is/features/what-schizophrenia-is-really-like

An intimate look at a loud, creative, and utterly ordinary existence by Allie Burke

"I am one of the 51 million people worldwide living with schizophrenia, diagnosed five years ago when I was 25 years old. Since then, I’ve been wrestling not only with the uncomfortable and often scary effects of the illness itself, but also with the often insensitive way people close to me—and in the culture at large—still view the illness. As of December, the Canadian Mental Health Association ranked schizophrenia as one of the “most stigmatized and misunderstood health issues.” It’s easy, though, to throw around words like “stigma” without appreciating what that means in daily life."

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi cpuusage.  I have been reading your stuff both here and in the spirituality section and just wanted to say thankyou........for the links.........the summaries of the links and just sharing your story here.  Oh, the spiritual stuff is great too!  I like your writing style and teasing out of ideas and your fearlessness in sharing how you feel.

I, unfortunately or fortunately, have not been through the intense psychoses nor had to wrap my head around a schizophrenia diagnosis........the closest I got was a "thought disorder" verbally........maybe the hospital shrink coded me as schizoaffective........who knows?  I have come off of both Zyprexa and Seroquel haphazardly in the past........I wouldn't recommend my methods used at that time.

I do hear you though.  And we are all here to support and understand when/if you might decide to do a minimal reduction.  Never say never.

Good also that you maintain routines........just in case you are unaware of some of your strengths...........and you are a caregiver too!  And most obviously very intelligent.

Anyway.........hi.

How does the Amisulpride come..........tablet(coated or uncoated) or capsule?  We might start just studying on up on it's solubility factors.........I don't know........just a thought.  You do sound frustrated..........maybe planning ahead would be healing?

Love, peace, healing

manymoretodays 

Oh yah..........they do have an audio thing at the state hospital here that is supposed to emulate some of the auditory hallucinations that some "schizophrenics" experience.  They use it as training to give some idea of what it is like............

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you for the reply manymoretodays.

i have always been & am very interested in the area of spirituality, integral / holistic approaches to health, & alternatives to the current socioeconomic system.

The current medication that i take is in un-coated tablet form, 3 - 100mg tablets in the evening. It does also come in 50mg tablets.

i have heard voices, But the main symptoms during the main episodes was terror / paranoia, delusions, & extreme states of mind / Being. Voice hearing hasn't been the main thing.

i don't know what to fully make of everything & don't have any categorical answers, & i don't think that anyone really has the complete picture. i have just come to an acceptance of the diagnosis & medication, & everything considered i think it likely there is something going on at a physiological level - for all the criticisms, the medication does also work to take the worst edge off things & give me a degree of stability & ability to have a certain degree of good quality of life. i don't think it's wise to try a medication reduction at this time, given overall circumstances. Maybe at some stage it is something to consider again? i don't think that a withdrawal would be successful, & i don't want to risk what happened the last time i tried. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup.  Copy that.  Acceptance is good.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 weeks later...

A Guide to Minimal Use of Neuroleptics

https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/10/a-guide-to-minimal-use-of-neuroleptics/

By
Volkmar Aderhold
October 2, 2016

"This guide provides a comprehensive review of antipsychotics, and an evidence-based rationale for treating first-episode patients without immediate use of antipsychotics; for prescribing antipsychotics at low doses when they are needed; and for supporting patients who want to taper from antipsychotic medication.

Authors: V. Aderhold, Institute for Social Psychiatry at the University of Greifswald, Germany;  P. Stastny, Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University, New York"

• 1 month later...

This year has been incredibly testing so far.

My mum had a very bad fall & was in hospital for 2 weeks. We have managed to get her back home.

An old family friend also became very mentally unwell around Christmas, a lot of people tried to reach out & help him. On Sunday he <graphic reference to suicide> himself - i think that he was suffering some kind of psychotic depression.

Edited by JanCarol
removed graphic reference to suicide

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that sounds incredibly testing.  I am so sorry for your suicide loss..........  Best wishes and healing, hopeful thoughts for your Mum.  Yourself as well.

Best,

mmt

• 7 months later...

i took a rest from this forum for a while. Am back again after some notifications in my e-mail as to a reply to a thread.

2017 has been a hell of a year.

• 1 month later...

Almost constant fear, anxiety, bad feelings & aches / pains in my chest / heart area.

• Administrator

Hello cpuusage. What drugs are you taking now, at what dosage, and what times of day? Do your symptoms get better or worse during the day?

Please update your signature.

Wishing you better days for the new year.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.