jmncrr: tapering risperidone

jmncrr

• Administrator

Introducing the liquid form as a partial dose with the rest in tablet form should make the transition easier. Some people do not notice the difference between liquid and tablet.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmncrr

• scallywag

• ChessieCat

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to avoid post acute withdrawal, taking your dosage to almost an unmeasurable amount like .01 or less?

Any feedback is appreciated

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

• Moderator Emeritus

You can take as long as you want to taper off and take your dose as low as you want. No one can predict what will be a "jumping off" dose that will guarantee zero symptoms for you other than to say that the lower the dose the greater lower the likelihood of symptoms.

Edited by scallywag
correcting a statement, strikethrough above

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

No one can predict what will be a "jumping off" dose that will guarantee zero symptoms for you other than to say that the lower the dose the greater the likelihood of symptoms.

Thanks for the response scallywag.

I understand that the lower you get in dosage, the more you have to slow it down to avoid symptoms.

Didn't you mean the lower  the dose(.01) the less likelihood of symptoms or protracted withdrawal after a jump.

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

• Moderator Emeritus

Correct, I could have written the lower the dose the greater the probability of a symptom-free or symptom-light landing after reaching 0 mg, or as you suggested, the lower the dose the lower the likelihood of symptoms or protracted withdrawal after a jump.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• Administrator

The purpose of gradual tapering is to lower the risk of withdrawal syndrome. Taper at a rate that results in no or minimal withdrawal symptoms.

Don't worry about when to jump off until you get to that final stage. Your tapering history will be your guide.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Right now i am getting no withdrawal symptoms, so i assume my taper rate is ok. Not too fast and not too slow, just moving right along by the week.

I am considering tapering slower when i get to 1 mg, because of the % of occupancy of the drug gets lower, and should increase chances of withdrawal i would assume.

I do notice the lower i get in my taper the harder it is to get up in the morning, so insomnia certainly has not been a problem.

Any thoughts are appreciated

• Administrator

Listen to your body to manage your rate of taper. Read this topic again if you have any questions. Let us know how you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be taking .1 or .2 mg of my risperidone dose in liquid tonight. I plan to slowly increase the liquid the lower i get in dosage.

I will be taking over 1mg of tablet form.

Will i notice anything different at such a small amount of liquid risperidone?

• Moderator Emeritus

You've asked the question about how you will respond to something several times. Each time we've answered: Nobody can predict how you will react to a dose reduction.

It's the same answer this time. ;)

scallywag's Introduction

Doesn't .1 or .2 mg of the liquid  supposed to equal .1 or .2 mg of the tablet?

I wont be making a dose reduction. It will be the same amount just a fraction of it in the liquid form.

Should i be introducing the liquid while making a dose reduction, or do it a few days after a reduction?

Should i adjust the dose up a bit just to be safe?

Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea about what you should do. For what you could consider, please re-read the first post in: Tapering off Risperdal

scallywag's Introduction

The first post refers to the long acting injectable to oral solution equivalences. 

The bottle does say 1ml equals 1mg, so i guess ill just have to trust it.

Could you tell me whether to introduce the oral solution at a dose drop or between dose drops?

If your using oral (liquid) solution, how did you do it?

• Moderator Emeritus

"Should i be introducing the liquid while making a dose reduction, or do it a few days after a reduction?"

It is better to make one change at a time and wait to see what your reaction is to that change.  If you make 2 changes at the same time, you won't know what change caused what issue, if any occur.  So, introduce liquid and take the same total dose.  Once you are sure that the liquid isn't causing any problems, then reduce your dose.

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Keep Notes on Paper

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

If your using oral (liquid) solution, how did you do it?

I used the same amount when making liquid. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Scalywag,

Are you experiencing any anxiety with your taper from cymbalta?

I noticed you made a cut in a two week time span recently.

How has that compared to your 3 or 4 week cuts?

Are you going to continue with the reductions every two weeks?

Thanks

Edited by scallywag
moved from another intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

jm -- Anxiety is not one of my symptoms nor was it a condition that prompted treatment with an SSRI medication.

scallywag's Introduction

Reading risperdhalhater's thread and story makes me want to just cold turkey risperidone or do a rapid taper.

I never needed to be on this garbage. I was just told i was a little paranoid and they prescribed me risperidone in the hospital at 1mg. When they transfered me to the VA hospital i was given 3mg before any DR even spoke to me. I stayed on it for a year, before i did any research on it, and was horrified by what i learned, but i discovered through this website, and other sources that it is not wise to do a CT or rapid taper. I cant believe my Dr told me i wouldn't get any withdrawals with a 1 month taper.

I am starting to wonder if i am one of those people who could get away with a faster taper, for i have read of people getting off risperidone faster with success. I just don't know for sure if i am one of them, and from what ive read here at SA its not worth the chance. I really would like this to be over with though. I am an EXTREMELY inpatient person, but i don't want to take the chance. I have not read about anybody successfully tapering risperidone to the end with success. I mostly read about these CT, and the agony they have been through. I sure hope it is worth it to taper to .01mg and jump off, and not have to feel much of a withdrawal experience.

If i were to jump off now at the dose i am at, would i suffer more than if i am to wait and jump off at .01mg?

I am having a bad day, and being on risperidone is making me sad, and woried.

Any reply is appreciated

I sure do wonder if i could due a faster taper and be ok. I badly want off risperdone, for its really bothering me lately. I don't mean to repeat myself here, but there are people who can come off risperidone faster and be ok. Ive read here that once your cns is destabilized it could take a while to recover possibly. So i probably wont take the risk, but i am tempted to. If i am to do anything it wont be until after the new year, because this isn't the time of year to be possibly struggling.

I'm not going to do a fast taper, after reading some threads today. I'll stay at the pace I am tapering for now.

I've been extremely lucky to this point with no withdrawals, and would rather not get them.

Should I be slowing it down at 1mg, which is 1/3 of my original dose?

What should I slow it to and when?

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks

Can you taper faster?

If are not sensitive to a 10% drop, by listening to your body, you may be able to make 10% drops more often than every month.

Many people do fine with a faster taper. Are you one of them? You can't tell ahead of time.

It's best to go slowly at first to find out how you tolerate a reduction. Once you damage your nervous system with withdrawal symptoms, it can take a very long time to feel good again.

The 10% method protects everyone and you have the option of tapering faster if you can tolerate it.

Follow this harm reduction approach to starting your taper:

• Initially, make a 10% reduction and hold there for a MONTH. It can take several weeks for withdrawal symptoms to emerge. Do that again the second month.
  • If you have very minor or no symptoms from these 2 reductions, you can try reducing by 10% (calculated on the last dosage, the amount of decrease keeps getting smaller) every 3 weeks. Do that twice. If no problems, reduce by 10% every 2 weeks. Do that twice.
  • If no problems after 4.5 months of very gradual reduction, you may be able to reduce by 10% every week.
  • If significant withdrawal symptoms appear, make smaller cuts or go slower. Listen to your body.
  • "Jump off" at the end when you are taking less than 98% of the original dose and reductions no longer cause any reaction at all.
Under this method, the fastest taper takes about 12 months.

According to the above i am I am candidate for speeding up my taper?

Some of the staff here have told me to slow it down, and others have said keep doing what is working for you.

I am a little confused about what to do at this point.

Should i just continue at the pace i am at?

• Moderator Emeritus

Help me out, would you? Here's my quandary:

On multiple occasions you have posted that you are concerned and anxious about having symptoms when you "jump off" risperidone.

We/I have suggested that the best way to minimize the risk or severity of post-taper symptoms is to taper gently.

I've also posted that it's possible that you have been decreasing the risperidone dosage too quickly. Some people tapering anti-psychotics only see symptoms 10-14 days after the decrease. I have suggested that you consider holding for at least 4 weeks to see if you have a "backlog" of CNS work waiting to be done.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want to accelerate your taper.

Would you take a moment to post your thought process about this?

scallywag's Introduction

I am extremely anxious to get off risperidone, and read on the web about people getting off it with little to no problems much faster than what i am doing.

I don't know why i am not getting any withdrawals. I think it might possibly be the other medications i am on. Wellbutrin is used to fight withdrawals from opiates, benzos, meth, cocaine and tobacco, and it might be possible as to why i have not even had any anxiety. It has an anxiolytic effect when treating withdrawal induced anxiety. Paroxetine is also used for withdrawals. These two medicines cant stop the physical withdrawals like nausea etc, but thats just my guess so far.

People do get off it faster, or i wouldn't be mentioning it, and it seems i might be habituating the risperidone to my system the longer i am on it.

I definitely don't want to take a break, because i feel i am moving right along with absolutely no problems.

At the same time i don't want any withdrawals, so i am hesitant to move faster by what i read here at SA.

Ive even thought of slowing it down under 1 mg, because of what i read here at SA.

I just feel kind of stuck.

Thanks

jmncrr. If what you are doing is working for you then there is no problem. We have suggested that you slow down , but you seem to be on your own trajectory. That's fine. I hope it goes well for you.

Ali 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Jmncrr. Thank you for responding to my posts. Very kind of you.

in Aug 2014, prescribed 20 mg of escitalopram.  Oct 2014, upped to 30 mg.

In January 2016, "doctor" added 2mg of Abilify

I had been taking .5 Xanax in AM and PM for a few years

Xanax November 23rd, 2016 .25   5 times per day

Took .5 Ativan in AM and .5 Ativan in PM 10 hours apart for 2 weeks and 2 days. I stopped Ativan on Nov 4th 2016

I cold turkeyed off escitalopram and Abilify on September 4, 2016

i crosses over to 1 mg of Klonopin in Dec 2016. 

Since withdrawal, I have occasionally taken 10mg or 20mg propranolol when my heart was pounding uncontrollably

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin C, Natural Calm magnesium drink.  Just started  11/16/16 Lactium supplement 167mg at night.

Godiswithme: I'm very scared   Godiswithme: Xanax taper after cold-turkey of Lexapro and Abilify

Jan 2017. Slowly reinstated Lexapro over 4-5 mos to 15mg. Have stayed on that amount. 

Sept 2017. Started tapering 1mg of Klonopin. As of May 2017, I am at .426 mg of Klonopin split into 2 doses per day. 

I have a basic question here about discontinuation syndrome. Many people seem to be able to taper there meds in a month or two and be just fine.

The only symptom i have had is fatigue, and this becomes more prevalent with lowering dosage. Its very hard to wake up in the morning.

From the research i have done severe withdrawal symptoms happens to a minority of people, and that is why this site exists, which is a good thing.

Is it possible to taper all the way to the end not slowing down without any withdrawals?

Is it just a minority that are affected by discontinuation syndrome?

I am just wanting to confirm that here at this website, and possibly know that i might be symptom free, or with relatively few problems.

Thank you for any response

• Administrator

Yes, some, maybe most, people go off drugs relatively quickly and have mild withdrawal withdrawal symptoms for perhaps a few weeks, then recover.

However, because of nearly universal misdiagnosis, it is unknown how many people taper too quickly, overlooking withdrawal symptoms, and have withdrawal syndrome for a long time.

Thank you Altostrata for your response.

Its a chance i guess i would have to consider taking, since i am so eager to stop taking risperidone.

I just wonder if i am making it harder on myself by doing a lengthy taper, and making it more difficult to discontinue risperidone by being on it longer.

Though i have read of people being on an anti-psychotic for 5 years, and not having a problem coming off it, and i have read of people not having a problem for most of there taper, only to get hit hard with withdrawals at a lower dosage.

Everything has gone so smoothly for me so far, i just don't know if i am willing to take that chance.

I should be under 1mg by January, and have a decision to make at that point, which is to speed it up slow it down, or stay at the pace i am at currently.

Has there been anybody who has used this site, and had no problems with a taper all the way to 0?

Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi jmncrr,

I can understand your concerns and wanting to know what might happen.  From your researching you are aware that some can go fast and do okay, some can go slow and still have issues then there are all the other combinations.  Nobody is able to say how it will be for you.

This is my analogy:  Asking for other peoples' experiences is like the political opinion polls.  You get a lot of different results with various percentages.  However we don't know what the result will be until the votes are counted after the election.  The result for Brexit wasn't predicted and Trump wasn't expected to get as far as he did, let alone win.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

You may not have read our thread Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know

Post #5:

What do you mean by self-manage?

Dealing with this challenge requires a lot from you, the "taperer". You need to be able to

• take responsibility for your decisions
  • exercise extreme patience
  • tolerate discomfort and uncertainty
  • communicate truthfully and responsibly about what is going on with you
  • identify when you require local, in-person support and then take real-life action to obtain it
Please carefully consider your ability to meet the challenges of tapering in the context of both your current wellness and life situation.

Rather than spending time and effort in trying "to nail down jello", i.e. get answers to currently unanswerable questions, please consider INVESTING your time and effort in developing skills to cope with anxiety and uncertainty.

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks chessieCat and Scallywag for the responses.

I do have mental anxiety about this taper, but i will try and not spend my time worrying about getting withdrawal.

I will probably just stay at the pace i currently am using, and hope for the best, but i will consider slowing down under 1mg at some point, since the receptor occupancy lowers, and could trigger withdrawal.

I have only had fatigue in the mornings, if you can call that a symptom. I just have trouble waking up. The risperidone was more activating at 2 to 3 mg, and seems to be more of an antihistamine at lower doses.

Thanks

Can i confirm here with somebody who might have more knowledge on the cardiovascular effects of Atypical Antipsychotics?

My brief research tells me that the effects of hypo tension, arrhythmias, tachycardia  are dose dependent.

I just would like to know i am decreasing my chances of getting one of these side effects with decrease in dosage.

Thanks

This is a repost since i got no response last time

Can i confirm here with somebody who might have more knowledge on the cardiovascular effects of Atypical Antipsychotics?

My brief research tells me that the effects of hypo tension, arrhythmias, tachycardia  are dose dependent.

I just would like to know i am decreasing my chances of getting one of these long term side effects with decrease in dosage.

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

You may be barking up a tree with no cats or other tasty morsels. I'm not sure that any one here can help you more than a web search already has.

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 month later...

This is a repost since i got no response last time

I just would like to know i am decreasing my chances of getting one of these long term side effects with decrease in dosage.

Thanks

jmncrr I got an answer from an homeopath cardiologist.

He said that if you haven't got any arrhythmias  till now, then you wont have it  with decrease in dosage

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I haven't checked in in several months. I am doing well down to .25mg of risperidone. My question is i accidentally took .5 mg last night. I havn't had any withdrawals so far with my slow taper so far. Last night  i took .5mg instead of .25mg. Will i have any withdrawals dropping back down to .25mg, or is it ok since it was only once? I have been taking .25mg for about a month now with no problems. I just made that one mistake last night.

Thanks for any replies