SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Spirituality, Philosophy etc

cpuusage

Various psychiatric drug treatments since 1990. Prozac & Stelazine in 1994 for a few years. 1200mg Amisulpride in 1998 for a year. 1999 to current time have maintained 200mg of Amisulpride & increased to 300mg a few years ago, with 2 stopping attempts in 2001 & 2003/4. i stopped all medications 5 times, for around 8 years in total, but the last 3 withdrawal/stopping attempts were disastrous. Am very unsure about stopping medication again. Have recently (in Winter 2018) had to increase the Amisulpride to 400mg. 

Healing Sanctuary - http://healingsanctuary.proboards.com/

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cpuusage

• peng

• manymoretodays

• powerback

Thanks for that, cpu.

Bloody venlafaxine - I have been parked on it since 2002.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

40 minutes ago, peng said:

Thanks for that, cpu.

Bloody venlafaxine - I have been parked on it since 2002.

i feel for you.

i have been on Amisulpride since 1998 (medicated since 1990) - have never been able to successfully stop it. i don't think that i'll ever successfully get off it.

It seems to be that it's an impossible situation. There hasn't been & isn't the practical / appropriate understanding / help / support to get off it. i have Never been able to even access appropriate psychological help. It's  joke. i have tried everything that i can do & that is available.

16 years of being dedicated to a healing / sobriety path - healers, self help etc - has Not resolved things. i need proper / professional treatment services.

Various psychiatric drug treatments since 1990. Prozac & Stelazine in 1994 for a few years. 1200mg Amisulpride in 1998 for a year. 1999 to current time have maintained 200mg of Amisulpride & increased to 300mg a few years ago, with 2 stopping attempts in 2001 & 2003/4. i stopped all medications 5 times, for around 8 years in total, but the last 3 withdrawal/stopping attempts were disastrous. Am very unsure about stopping medication again. Have recently (in Winter 2018) had to increase the Amisulpride to 400mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh cpu,

Ughs and hugs.  I'm still doing that darn federally mandated behavioral health committee here in my State.  You know.......the one that needs to be 50% peers.  And nary a shrink in evidence, and I still don't have my voice........to succinctly give input...... that might even change just one persons perception and understanding.  I don't even know if I'm learning much as far as how all the wheels are greased and keep turning.  Complicated......so very political........  How do I talk about......."hey, maybe for some we could just not medicate and keep them safe and free until the episode clears.  And maybe we could support folks wanting to get off their medications."  I'm getting closer though.......to succinct........sometimes.

Anyway.......I come to this thread of yours a lot........this collection of yours. 

Not everything is resolved for me either.  Let's just keep suiting on up and showing on up in our lives, okay?  You've got the dose down anyway.......

Love, and peace, and healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

2 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Oh cpu,

Ughs and hugs.  I'm still doing that darn federally mandated behavioral health committee here in my State.  You know.......the one that needs to be 50% peers.  And nary a shrink in evidence, and I still don't have my voice........to succinctly give input...... that might even change just one persons perception and understanding.  I don't even know if I'm learning much as far as how all the wheels are greased and keep turning.  Complicated......so very political........  How do I talk about......."hey, maybe for some we could just not medicate and keep them safe and free until the episode clears.  And maybe we could support folks wanting to get off their medications."  I'm getting closer though.......to succinct........sometimes.

Anyway.......I come to this thread of yours a lot........this collection of yours. 

Not everything is resolved for me either.  Let's just keep suiting on up and showing on up in our lives, okay?  You've got the dose down anyway.......

Love, and peace, and healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Hi. Thanks. i am with you on all that. They have now set up a local NHS peer support / nurse mental health drop in service. i have had zero contact with any mental health services for the past 6 years. i went along & saw them there, & dropped off some cards for my forum. i didn't feel comfortable in the place. The peers were all medicated & compliant, & there was the undercurrent of potential psychiatric treatment for anyone too unwell. 

i can't ever trust the system, but i also see a certain sense in me Not trying to fight it all any more.

i feel at this stage it's the joint responsibility of the whole of humanity to try & create a far better World / system for everyone.

On one level absolutely everything is political & i hate politics, but at this stage on one level politics is probably the only thing that can change it all. We have had over 40 years of dominated right wing neoliberal capitalism, & it needs to change.

Wishing you love, light, peace & healing as well.

• Moderator Emeritus

......Oh, there was this at today's monthly mtg.  The opportunity always arises to go before the legislature when bills are up to be changed.  That all happens really fast and is done for this year now.  When the bills come out or the possible changes come out....... it all happens really quick.  I at least know the time frame and can be ready next year.    And.......I may be prepared next year in time to head on in and speak briefly about something or other.  The thing is......pretty much the whole committee would have to be in favor or disfavor.  I don't know........they might let me go rogue.  Many state employees on the committee and then included in the peer percentage now are family members of those afflicted.  The family members get to me........I'm like......."what is your label or what is your part in their illness?"  Only in my head though......I don't say it out loud.  I'll get there...........  Maybe I won't even know when I make a positive difference somewhere.

And I do get paid......B).......travel stipend $35.00 U.S.  Today I just did the call in option though......no pay for that.

S'okay and shoot, I did it again........late night on my puter.

Best,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

27 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

......Oh, there was this at today's monthly mtg.  The opportunity always arises to go before the legislature when bills are up to be changed.  That all happens really fast and is done for this year now.  When the bills come out or the possible changes come out....... it all happens really quick.  I at least know the time frame and can be ready next year.    And.......I may be prepared next year in time to head on in and speak briefly about something or other.  The thing is......pretty much the whole committee would have to be in favor or disfavor.  I don't know........they might let me go rogue.  Many state employees on the committee and then included in the peer percentage now are family members of those afflicted.  The family members get to me........I'm like......."what is your label or what is your part in their illness?"  Only in my head though......I don't say it out loud.  I'll get there...........  Maybe I won't even know when I make a positive difference somewhere.

And I do get paid......B).......travel stipend $35.00 U.S.  Today I just did the call in option though......no pay for that.

S'okay and shoot, I did it again........late night on my puter.

Best,

mmt

The way i see it right wing neoliberal capitalism is out of control. The entire World is increasing it's march towards right wing nationalism / popularism.

i'm sorry to sound negative about it all, but i feel that the realities of it all also need to be seen for what they are.

Donald Trump's Latest Attack on Americans With Disabilities Isn't Just Atrocious Bigotry — Look At the Policies He's Enacted

The Trump administration has adopted policies that appear to be nothing short of a concerted attack on the landmark Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).

https://www.alternet.org/donald-trumps-latest-attack-americans-disabilities-isnt-just-atrocious-bigotry-look-policies-hes?src=newsletter1091787

A quiet genocide of the disabled in America

https://medium.com/@emilywolinsky/a-quiet-genocide-of-the-disabled-in-america-a35982e6abb5

Useless Eaters: Disability as Genocidal Marker in Nazi Germany

by Mark P. Mostert

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=7019

A lot of these ideological debates about aetiology & best approaches to health & social issues seem pretty pointless in relation to the realities that many people are actually facing, unless protected by money & privilege.

UN confirms that UK government’s treaty violations were both grave AND systematic

https://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2017/07/un-confirms-that-uk-governments-treaty-violations-were-both-grave-and-systematic/

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/CRPD/Pages/InquiryProcedure.aspx

Austerity linked to 120,000 extra deaths in England

16 November 2017

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1117/161117-austerity-deaths-england

Countless evidence for what is actually going on.

i don't think that it is too strong a word to call all this Fascism - at the least it is far right / economic murder & the precursor to full Fascism. But lets Not also forget that the UK / USA Created & started all the Eugenics & abominable treatment of the poor, sick, mentally & physically disabled & mentally ill in the first place, especially in the 19th & early 20th Century, with Hitler / Fascist Germany simply picking up the Baton.

Total MSM blackout on all these areas for considerable time now. But it also has a lot to do with collective denial & mass media brainwashing of the general public, & that i think generally most of the general public support it all, as they did in the 1920's / 30's.

https://www.regent.edu/acad/schedu/uselesseaters/text/2743414051_1.pdf

There's Nothing that i can do about it all - & what plays out is what plays out.

cpu and mmt, best wishes to you both.

Born 1945. 

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

• Moderator Emeritus

And heyo again cpu,

I saw some of the Trump stuff just now.  And some video on bringing back asylums that I could not even watch/touch. 

And honestly.......I think the best we can do is do our very best to keep the peace inside, and then...........pass it on...........just the peace.  That helps heal others and the Universe somehow and ourselves.  Good to know our truths as well.........or seek and find them?  Idk.  We really can heal ourselves to some degree.

Good however, to stay informed.  Good to step away once in awhile too.  And focus on improvements.........in spite of it all.

Anyway.......I hope I didn't contribute to your getting or feeling more riled up about it all.  Not my intention.  And always thankful that you keep me up to date on what is out there.  Just don't let it inside, okay?

Best to you too peng!

L,P, H/IR, and G,

mmt

Yesterday, while channel-hopping, I saw Trump live at the NRA.  He reports that a top hospital in London is like a war zone hospital because of "KNIVES! KNIVES! KNIVES!" 

A degree of alarming truth in this, it has to be said, even shocking for us in the UK.  However, his basic knowledge about the stats of per capita incidents is either non-existent or he chooses to ignore those facts.  (A politician choosing to ignore important facts? - Nah! - you're putting me on!)

Once again, I feel that we are living in a science fiction comic story.  So surreal.

The thing is guys, we cannot change the world much.  Only do what you can, but focus primarily on yourselves till you are better - no selfishness there - 'cos you both seem well worth it.

Love and best wishes.

Born 1945. 

14 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

And heyo again cpu,

I saw some of the Trump stuff just now.  And some video on bringing back asylums that I could not even watch/touch. 

And honestly.......I think the best we can do is do our very best to keep the peace inside, and then...........pass it on...........just the peace.  That helps heal others and the Universe somehow and ourselves.  Good to know our truths as well.........or seek and find them?  Idk.  We really can heal ourselves to some degree.

Good however, to stay informed.  Good to step away once in awhile too.  And focus on improvements.........in spite of it all.

Anyway.......I hope I didn't contribute to your getting or feeling more riled up about it all.  Not my intention.  And always thankful that you keep me up to date on what is out there.  Just don't let it inside, okay?

Best to you too peng!

L,P, H/IR, and G,

mmt

Thank you mmt & you are right with it all. It's better to try & focus on the peace, kindness & love. Things do get to me at times. Yesterday i found especially hard. 

i am prone to a negative & critical view on things at times.

Coming Out Of The Spiritual Closet

https://emergingproud.com/watch-the-film-2/

On 5/4/2018 at 8:30 PM, manymoretodays said:

i think that the whole of society - everyone - is going to have to have a very serious & open dialogue / discussion / debate about everything at some stage.

About the state of this global society / culture / 'civilisation' itself & about a lot of the problems that we collectively face as a species.

This whole mental health area - i can see all sides to it all. i think that there has to be some kind of compromise between all the different groups / camps / positions on it all.

The severity issue i think has to be seriously addressed by society & psychiatry. Some 3% of the population do suffer genuine / severe mental illness & they can't simply be left to the ravages of this society / system with most of them ending up in dire social circumstances, the streets & criminal justice / prison system - something practical & sensible has to be done for them. The past 40 odd years of right wing neoliberal capitalism & dominance of the baby boomer generation has caused a lot of problems. All the anti / critical / alternative psychiatry / medication areas have utterly failed to address the mental health crisis since de-institutionalisation.

i can see why some people are calling for the return of psychiatric institutions, & some people are far better off in them.

Flawed Capitalism On Both Sides Of The Atlantic

by David Coates on 15 May 2018

https://www.socialeurope.eu/flawed-capitalism-on-both-sides-of-the-atlantic

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/11/2018 at 1:06 AM, cpuusage said:

Coming Out Of The Spiritual Closet

https://emergingproud.com/watch-the-film-2/

Loved.  This.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

CPU,

How are you?  I have not seen you posting lately. 

I am missing your input here.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

4 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

CPU,

How are you?  I have not seen you posting lately. 

I am missing your input here.

mmt

Hi. Thank you for thinking of me. i have left all mental health forums other than the small one that i run. 

i am pretty much the same with everything. i didn't really feel at home posting what i do on here - i have come to an acceptance for me personally of my own understanding of my schizophrenia diagnosis, illness / condition & medication. i can't stop the tobacco smoking / coffee & internet addiction. & i got fed up of all the anti / critical / pro / alternative psychiatry / medication debate & all the arguing over what everything is / isn't, between all the different biological, psychological, sociological & spiritual theories. i have got where all the different opinions & advice just annoys me more than anything else now.

i have drifted around facebook a lot, but again have found no groups on there that really fit what i have been looking for. It's all the same camps & arguments. i found a shamanic view of mental illness page which is OK, but there are problems on there as well. i have either removed myself or been deleted / kicked from most of the mental health facebook pages that i was on. 

i gave away around 70 specialist books that i had on mental health to a psychiatric nurse that i know. A lot of mental health areas & discussions are very circular, are highly emotive for a lot of people. & seem often dominated by who can shout the loudest. i have also got soured with the whole anti / critical / alternative psychiatry / medication movements, i think there are as many problems with all the alternative areas as there is with psychiatry. & i have reached my own working conclusions with it all - there is no point in me endlessly going on about the same things.  

i have been playing a couple of on-line games which have been a good interest. 

Have been very much just plodding on with all my routines & responsibilities. i have been a main carer for my mum for the past 10 years through her severe illness, & it's an ongoing struggle & battle with the realities of austerity & the welfare 'reforms', having been long term out of work / sick & in rented accommodation & dependent on social security. 

How are things with you?  

i have found also that i just get into too many arguments discussing mental health related areas - & however i try & reach out for help i find a lot of blaming & shaming for my experiences & difficulties, & i don't think that people really have any real understanding of things. 

i have found a very good psychologist, but can't start work with her until June 2019. & i don't know anymore if i want to try again with another psychologist, & it makes No difference to my overall situation & circumstances. 

i came across this recently that i found interesting - i still post a lot on my own forum, but it is very quiet on there. 

Carl Gustav Jung, Quantum Physics and the Spiritual Mind: A Mystical Vision of the Twenty-First Century

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4217602/#!po=55.1136

Hope all well with you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

There you are.  Okay, just wanted to make sure you were all right.  And yes, I suppose burnout in a sense happens from time to time in having endless circular discussions/debates.   And it sounds like you HAVE reached your own truths.   See how you feel when June 2019 rolls around.......as far as when you can see a psychologist again.........maybe it will be helpful.   I still see my therapist when needed.  She's great.   I remember that you are a caretaker for your Mum.  That's a good calling CPU.

If you don't feel at home here.......well, just stop and visit when you can.  B)

I'm doing well enough now, had to surf the waves again recently........more due to Life happenings.  Grief, trauma.  Ouch.  Lost a very dear one.    I'm definitely out of the acute W/D though.  Some old symptoms came back and more thought disorganization.   I mean it got tough..... but compared to when I first got here.........less intensity of symptoms and such.  Autonomic nervous system dysfunction.  Old brain patterns?  I don't know. 

And phew........improving the last few weeks.  And able to remain/continue medication free.  Resiliency.  😻 

I still drink coffee too.......it's a comfort when life throws me...... and I upped my intake during my more acute grief processing.  Getting back to better discipline...... just the usual 2 cups a day, of my coffee or less.  I add honey, cinnamon, turmeric, and coconut milk.   I have some replacement options so may get down to just 1 "real" cup at some point of the coffee.  I'm still working down on the tobacco too.  Slowly but surely will get off them completely I hope.   I drink a lot of herbal teas with honey.  I find different types to help. 

I'm pretty darn thankful or fortunate or something.........   I'm doing okay meeting all my basic needs overall.   And more really......I get some social security and then have some retirement funds that help out too.  I sure hope our current President doesn't mess up some of the better systems that we have going now.  I can't believe it's only been 2 years.......with another 2 to go with that guy.  Urrkkk, it's scary sometimes.............    Health care is still in transition, and not always the greatest for all around here.

Oh yay!   A Carl Jung link.   And you did some further shaman explorations too!    You are also a philosopher! 

I'm glad you are doing okay CPU.  Thanks for reporting in.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration, additional thoughts

13 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

There you are.  Okay, just wanted to make sure you were all right.  And yes, I suppose burnout in a sense happens from time to time in having endless circular discussions/debates.   And it sounds like you HAVE reached your own truths.   See how you feel when June 2019 rolls around.......as far as when you can see a psychologist again.........maybe it will be helpful.   I still see my therapist when needed.  She's great.   I remember that you are a caretaker for your Mum.  That's a good calling CPU.

If you don't feel at home here.......well, just stop and visit when you can.  B)

I'm doing well enough now, had to surf the waves again recently........more due to Life happenings.  Grief, trauma.  Ouch.  Lost a very dear one.    I'm definitely out of the acute W/D though.  Some old symptoms came back and more thought disorganization.   I mean it got tough..... but compared to when I first got here.........less intensity of symptoms and such.  Autonomic nervous system dysfunction.  Old brain patterns?  I don't know. 

And phew........improving the last few weeks.  And able to remain/continue medication free.  Resiliency.  😻 

I still drink coffee too.......it's a comfort when life throws me...... and I upped my intake during my more acute grief processing.  Getting back to better discipline...... just the usual 2 cups a day, of my coffee or less.  I add honey, cinnamon, turmeric, and coconut milk.   I have some replacement options so may get down to just 1 "real" cup at some point of the coffee.  I'm still working down on the tobacco too.  Slowly but surely will get off them completely I hope.   I drink a lot of herbal teas with honey.  I find different types to help. 

I'm pretty darn thankful or fortunate or something.........   I'm doing okay meeting all my basic needs overall.  

Oh yay!   A Carl Jung link.   And you did some further shaman explorations too!    You are also a philosopher! 

mmt

Thanks. Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad you are doing well. 

i don't know if i can afford the psychologist, & i don't know if i want to go over all the same stuff again. The psychologist works from a Langian / existential framework. i see things from an integral perspective - i don't see any of it in terms of either / or - i do feel that there has been / are biological, psychological, sociological & spiritual aspects to it all. i just end up trying to explain things that other people don't understand. & it won't change the wider familial / social realities. Paying a load of money to sit & chat with someone for 1 hour a week i don't think is going to work. & i get as annoyed with therapists / psychologists now as i do with all the roles / people in mental health. Would probably just be a lot better to abolish the entire mental health system & give the money saved to people with long term mental health difficulties. 

4 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

mmt

i have a lot of worry & concern with this having been in the background for 10 years & continuing - & i am very aware that very similar happened at the end of the 19th / beginning of the 20th Century,  the wider society doesn't seem to care & it is Not reported in the mainstream media. It doesn't feel right to be having ideological debates about mental health / illness within these contexts. 

The DWP just whitewashed the most damning report in its history

SEPTEMBER 7TH, 2018

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2018/09/07/the-dwp-just-whitewashed-the-most-damning-report-in-its-history/

UN confirms that UK government’s treaty violations were both grave AND systematic

https://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2017/07/un-confirms-that-uk-governments-treaty-violations-were-both-grave-and-systematic/

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/CRPD/Pages/InquiryProcedure.aspx

Austerity linked to 120,000 extra deaths in England

16 November 2017

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1117/161117-austerity-deaths-england

A quiet genocide of the disabled in America

https://medium.com/@emilywolinsky/a-quiet-genocide-of-the-disabled-in-america-a35982e6abb5

Nice to see you're still ticking over, cpu!

Last sentence of your profile I am having to adopt, too.

Crashed earlier this year after careful, 2-year taper.

My own theory is that those of us (or many of us) with trauma in childhood or youth, once broken, will have a remapped brain, so tapering off medication will end in tears.  I think I have just confirmed that after two tapers 12 years apart.  I am just being philosophical about that at 73 and hope to feel better soon on the darned organic chemicals.

All my best wishes to you and your folks.  Try to focus on yourself and them and not on the large number of sad issues plaguing the UK, the world at large and mankind.

I know it is tough, but you are only harming yourself worrying about things you cannot change.

Focus your fine mind onto enjoyable subjects?  I am trying to.

Born 1945. 

22 minutes ago, peng said:

Nice to see you're still ticking over, cpu!

Last sentence of your profile I am having to adopt, too.

Crashed earlier this year after careful, 2-year taper.

My own theory is that those of us (or many of us) with trauma in childhood or youth, once broken, will have a remapped brain, so tapering off medication will end in tears.  I think I have just confirmed that after two tapers 12 years apart.  I am just being philosophical about that at 73 and hope to feel better soon on the darned organic chemicals.

All my best wishes to you and your folks.  Try to focus on yourself and them and not on the large number of sad issues plaguing the UK, the world at large and mankind.

I know it is tough, but you are only harming yourself worrying about things you cannot change.

Focus your fine mind onto enjoyable subjects?  I am trying to.

Thank you Peng, nice to hear from you. i think it is such an individual, in depth & complex picture with regards to mental health / illness & medication. Sorry to hear you crashed with the medication withdrawal. 

i think that you are right about trauma in early life. 

i find it very tough to try & Not focus on wider social / systemic issues - But you are right with it all that it is far better to try & focus on other more enjoyable subjects. 

All the best to you. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/8/2018 at 12:38 AM, cpuusage said:

i don't know if i can afford the psychologist, & i don't know if i want to go over all the same stuff again. The psychologist works from a Langian / existential framework. i see things from an integral perspective - i don't see any of it in terms of either / or - i do feel that there has been / are biological, psychological, sociological & spiritual aspects to it all. i just end up trying to explain things that other people don't understand. & it won't change the wider familial / social realities. Paying a load of money to sit & chat with someone for 1 hour a week i don't think is going to work. & i get as annoyed with therapists / psychologists now as i do with all the roles / people in mental health. Would probably just be a lot better to abolish the entire mental health system & give the money saved to people with long term mental health difficulties. 

Oh.....maybe it will.  Everything Matters!

Peng will probably want to bean me with some large beans for saying this.......B)  Well, probably not.......so I'll go ahead with my woo woo ness.  It's the age of Aquarius, don't you know?  Something like that.  The social aspects ARE huge, as far as defining the problem goes.

We are getting there, here and everywhere.

manymoretodays

L, P, H, and grrrrrrr owth

26 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Oh.....maybe it will.  Everything Matters!

Peng will probably want to bean me with some large beans for saying this.......B)  Well, probably not.......so I'll go ahead with my woo woo ness.  It's the age of Aquarius, don't you know?  Something like that.  The social aspects ARE huge, as far as defining the problem goes.

We are getting there, here and everywhere.

manymoretodays

L, P, H, and grrrrrrr owth

As a matter of survival i have to argue a case of illness with the DWP for social security support or potentially end up homeless. All this Austerity / welfare 'reforms' & agenda against the poor, sick & disabled is a genuinely existential threat. 

Reality is that i have had a 38 year serious illness & am unwell, & am too unwell to work. i think that a genuinely civilised society should make genuine provision for looking after more vulnerable people. 

i have studied so much of all the comparative religious / spiritual / new age / healing / conspiracy / UFO & associated areas. Who exactly knows with it all? 

i end up arguing / debating with 'Atheist 'scientific' materialists', but also argue at times with people within all the 'new age' / spiritual areas as well. 

i would love to see a transformed World to something a lot more genuinely civilised. i may be completely wrong, but i tend to think that such a World is going to be a long time coming yet & probably Nothing like it will start to happen until well beyond 2200. i think that humanity collectively has too much crap to work through before we get to anything genuinely advanced & civilised. 

• 4 weeks later...

Dunno if anyone else has already posted this information? 

Millions at Risk From Antidepressant Withdrawal, New Review Concludes
By MITUK admin - 02/10/2018

www.madintheuk.com/2018/10/millions-at-risk-from-antidepressant-withdrawal-new-review-concludes/

prescribeddrug.org/millions-at-risk-from-antidepressant-withdrawal-new-review-concludes/

"The All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence isssue a Press Release, announcing a new study into depedence on and withdrawal from antidepessant drugs.

The Journal of Addictive Behaviors has today published a new systematic review which shows that antidepressant withdrawal is much more widespread, severe and long-lasting than indicated by current guidelines, with millions of antidepressant users in the U.K. potentially affected. ‘A Systematic Review into the Incidence, Severity and Duration of Antidepressant Withdrawal Effects: Are Guidelines Evidence-Based?’ was undertaken by Dr James Davies, University of Roehampton and Professor John Read, University of East London, on behalf of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence.

The review indicates that an average of 56% of patients who stop or reduce their antidepressants experience withdrawal symptoms, with 46% of these reporting their symptoms as severe. Furthermore, most of the studies reviewed on duration found that a significant proportion of patients experienced withdrawal symptoms for more than two weeks, and that it is not uncommon for patients to experience symptoms for several weeks, months, or longer. According to one study, 40% of patients experience symptoms for at least 6 weeks, and another indicates that 25% experience symptoms for at least 3 months."

All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence - 

prescribeddrug.org/

A systematic review into the incidence, severity and duration of
antidepressant withdrawal effects: Are guidelines evidence-based?

prescribeddrug.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Davies-Read.pdf

47 minutes ago, cpuusage said:

Thanks Cpuusage  ,I have sent this video to my sister and mother ,sadly I will only reject any acknowledgement of my plight because I have been talking about this for years .I must add that im lucky to have caring family for the most part and I need to take some criticism for directing my anger in  the wrong direction .

I wonder will the governments in years to come give people like us trauma counselling for the PTSD that is left behind .

I hope your well .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

53 minutes ago, powerback said:

Thanks Cpuusage  ,I have sent this video to my sister and mother ,sadly I will only reject any acknowledgement of my plight because I have been talking about this for years .I must add that im lucky to have caring family for the most part and I need to take some criticism for directing my anger in  the wrong direction .

I wonder will the governments in years to come give people like us trauma counselling for the PTSD that is left behind .

I hope your well .

i gave up fighting it all in the same way about 14 years ago, especially over the past 7 years. 

i was forced sectioned 4 times, spending a year in secure units in total, diagnosed with schizophrenia, had 8 very major breakdowns / episodes, i have been medicated for 27 years & stopped all medication 5 times- & i fought the system - it didn't work in regards to me being able to live a 'normal' life & successfully heal medication free. i have reached an acceptance of the diagnosis / condition / illness & medication, & there is No choice now in having to with the DWP either; it's a matter of life & death survival. Family & friends never saw things from my perspective, nor have therapists & healers. 

i don't see anything particularly genuinely civilised about this society / system, & it remains to be seen if it ever will be. Will humanity, mainstream society / the system & establishment one day see all the injustices & want to & genuinely correct them all & go on to create a genuinely civilised, thriving & harmonious civilisation? It's debatable if that will ever happen, & to be honest i don't think that most of mainstream / normal society or the establishment actually cares, as long it doesn't effect them personally, especially concerning what comes under severe mental illnesses. 

Give things another 200 years if civilisation is still going & advancing, & of course people will look back as we do to the general society / culture / medical system of 200 years ago, & see it all as unadvanced & barbaric - But we're Not in 2200 - it's 2018 & the realities of this current society / system are what they are - generally pretty crap. 

Of course we are deserving of proper compensation for the lack of care & damage done, & to be given proper & appropriate acknowledgement, understanding, care, help & support for our actual needs, but that isn't going to happen within this current society / system. You would have as much chance of getting all that as you would getting justice as a witch in the burning times under the religious authorities & inquisition. 

9 minutes ago, cpuusage said:

Give things another 200 years if civilisation is still going & advancing, & of course people will look back as we do to the general society / culture / medical system of 200 years ago, & see it all as unadvanced & barbaric - But we're Not in 2200 - it's 2018 & the realities of this current society / system are what they are - generally pretty crap. 

Of course we are deserving of proper compensation for the lack of care & damage done, & to be given proper & appropriate acknowledgement, understanding, care, help & support for our actual needs, but that isn't going to happen within this current society / system. You would have as much chance of getting all that as you would getting justice as a witch in the burning times under the religious authorities & inquisition. 

& you know what i think will be the case in 2200 - there very likely will be the general attitudes of how uncivilised things were at the turn of the 21st Century - & some glib apologies made & then some common assumptions about how much more advanced everything is from the past, just as 'we' are, but i expect that the realities of the World / society / 'civilisation' will in truth quite probably be pretty much in essence the same, just with better technology. That's humanity for you. 

NELFT pilots new team supporting A&E using Open Dialogue principles

https://www.nelft.nhs.uk/news-events/news20181004nelftpilotsnewteamsupportingaandeopendialogue-3177

Turmoil Erupts Over Expulsion of Member From Leading Evidence-based Medicine Group

Peter Gøtzsche expelled from Cochrane Collaboration

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/16/expulsion-cochrane-peter-gotzsche-medicine/

CEP Declares Its Support For Professor Peter Gøtzsche

The Council for Evidence-based Psychiatry today issues a declaration of support for our colleague, Professor Peter C. Gøtzsche – co-founder of the Cochrane Collaboration, Director of the Nordic Cochrane Centre, Professor of Clinical Research at the University of Copenhagen, and member of CEP.

http://cepuk.org/2018/09/19/cep-expresses-support-professor-peter/

• 1 month later...

Catafalque (2-Volume Set): Carl Jung and the End of Humanity

"Catafalque offers a revolutionary new reading of the great psychologist Carl Jung as mystic, gnostic and prophet for our time.

This book is the first major re-imagining of both Jung and his work since the publication of the Red Book in 2009--and is the only serious assessment of them written by a classical scholar who understands the ancient Gnostic, Hermetic and alchemical foundations of his thought as well as Jung himself did. At the same time it skillfully tells the forgotten story of Jung's relationship with the great Sufi scholar, Henry Corbin, and with Persian Sufi tradition.

The strange reality of the Red Book, or "New Book" as Carl Jung called it, lies close to the heart of Catafalque. In meticulous detail Peter Kingsley uncovers its great secret, hidden in plain sight and still--as if by magic--unrecognized by all those who have been unable to understand this mysterious, incantatory text.

But the hard truth of who Jung was and what he did is only a small part of what this book uncovers. It also exposes the full extent of that great river of esoteric tradition that stretches all the way back to the beginnings of our civilization. It unveils the surprising realities behind western philosophy, literature, poetry, prophecy--both ancient and modern.

In short, Peter Kingsley shows us not only who Carl Jung was but who we in the West are as well. Much more than a brilliant spiritual biography, Catafalque holds the key to understanding why our western culture is dying. And, an incantatory text in its own right, it shows the way to discovering what we in these times of great crisis must do.

Book details 848-page hardcover in two volumes."

Jung, Buddhism, and the Incarnation of Sophia: Unpublished Writings from the Philosopher of the Soul
by Henry Corbin

"Examines the work of Carl Jung in relation to Eastern religion, the wisdom teachings of the Sophia, Sufi mysticism, and visionary spirituality

Henry Corbin (1903-1978) was one of the most important French philosophers and orientalists of the 20th century. In this collection of previously unpublished writings, Corbin examines the work of Carl Jung in relationship to the deep spiritual traditions of Eastern religion, the esoteric wisdom teachings of Sophia, the transformational symbolism of alchemy, and Sufi mysticism.

Looking at the many methods of inner exploration in the East, including the path of the Sufi and Taoist alchemy, Corbin reveals how the modern Western world does not have its own equivalent except in psychotherapy. Expanding Jung’s findings in light of his own studies of Gnostic and esoteric Islamic traditions, he offers a unique insight into the spiritual values underlying Jung’s psychoanalytic theories. Corbin analyzes Jung’s works on Buddhism, providing his own understanding of the tradition and its relationship to Sufi mysticism, and explores the role of the Gnostic Sophia with respect to Jung’s most controversial essay, “Answer to Job.”

Explaining how Islamic fundamentalists have turned their back on the mystic traditions of Sufism, Corbin reveals how totalitarianism of all kinds threatens the transformative power of the imagination and the transcendent reality of the individual soul.

Henry Corbin (1903-1978) was one of the most important French philosophers and orientalists of the 20th century. In this collection of previously unpublished writings, Corbin examines the work of Carl Jung in relationship to the deep spiritual traditions of Eastern religion, the esoteric wisdom teachings of Sophia, the transformational symbolism of alchemy, and Sufi mysticism.

Looking at the many methods of inner exploration in the East, including the path of the Sufi and Taoist alchemy, Corbin reveals how the modern Western world does not have its own equivalent except in psychotherapy. Expanding Jung’s findings in light of his own studies of Gnostic and esoteric Islamic traditions, he offers a unique insight into the spiritual values underlying Jung’s psychoanalytic theories. Corbin analyzes Jung’s works on Buddhism, providing his own understanding of the tradition and its relationship to Sufi mysticism, and explores the role of the Gnostic Sophia with respect to Jung’s most controversial essay, “Answer to Job.”

Explaining how Islamic fundamentalists have turned their back on the mystic traditions of Sufism, Corbin reveals how totalitarianism of all kinds threatens the transformative power of the imagination and the transcendent reality of the individual soul."

Trauma and the Soul 
by Donald Kalsched 

"In Trauma and the Soul, Donald Kalsched continues the exploration he began in his first book, The Inner World of Trauma (1996)―this time going further into the mystical or spiritual moments that often occur around the intimacies of psychoanalytic work. Through extended clinical vignettes, including therapeutic dialogue and dreams, he shows how depth psychotherapy with trauma’s survivors can open both analytic partners to "another world" of non-ordinary reality in which daimonic powers reside, both light and dark. This mytho-poetic world, he suggests, is not simply a defensive product of our struggle with the harsh realities of living as Freud suggested, but is an everlasting fact of human experience―a mystery that is often at the very center of the healing process, and yet at other times, strangely resists it.

With these "two worlds" in focus, Kalsched explores a variety of themes as he builds, chapter by chapter, an integrated psycho-spiritual approach to trauma and its treatment including:

images of the lost soul-child in dreams and how this "child" represents an essential core of aliveness that is both protected and persecuted by the psyche’s defenses;
Dante’s guided descent into the Inferno of Hell as a paradigm for the psychotherapy process and its inevitable struggle with self-destructive energies;
childhood innocence and its central role in a person’s spiritual life seen through the story of St. Exupéry’s The Little Prince;
how clinical attention to implicit processes in the relational field, as well as discoveries in body-based affective neuroscience are making trauma treatment more effective;
the life of C.G. Jung as it portrays his early trauma, his soul’s retreat into an inner sanctuary, and his gradual recovery of wholeness through the integration of his divided self.
This is a book that restores the mystery to psychoanalytic work. It tells stories of ordinary patients and ordinary psychotherapists who, through working together, glimpse the reality of the human soul and the depth of the spirit, and are changed by the experience. Trauma and the Soul will be of particular interest to practicing psychotherapists, psychoanalysts, analytical psychologists, and expressive arts therapists, including those with a "spiritual" orientation.

Donald Kalsched is a Jungian analyst in private practice in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and a training analyst with the Inter-Regional Society of Jungian Analysts. He is the author of numerous articles in analytical psychology, and lectures widely on the subject of early trauma and its treatment. His books include The Inner World of Trauma (1996)."

Answer to Job (Routledge Classics) 
by Carl Gustav Jung

"Of all the books of the Bible few have had more resonance for modern readers than the Book of Job. For a world that has witnessed great horrors, Job's cries of despair and incomprehension are all too recognizable. The visionary psychotherapist Carl Gustav Jung understood this and responded with this remarkable book, in which he set himself face-to-face with 'the unvarnished spectacle of divine savagery and ruthlessness'. Jung perceived in the hidden recesses of the human psyche the cause of a crisis that plagues modern humanity and leaves the individual, like Job, isolated and bewildered in the face of impenetrable fortune. By correlating the transcendental with the unconscious, Jung, writing not as a biblical scholar but 'as a layman and physician who has been privileged to see deeply into the psychic life of many people', offers a way for every reader to come to terms with the divine darkness which confronts each individual."

Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief 

by Jordan B. Peterson (Author)

"Why have people from different cultures and eras formulated myths and stories with similar structures? What does this similarity tell us about the mind, morality, and structure of the world itself? Jordan Peterson offers a provocative new hypothesis that explores the connection between what modern neuropsychology tells us about the brain and what rituals, myths, and religious stories have long narrated. A cutting-edge work that brings together neuropsychology, cognitive science, and Freudian and Jungian approaches to mythology and narrative, Maps of Meaning presents a rich theory that makes the wisdom and meaning of myth accessible to the critical modern mind."

The Search for Roots: C. G. Jung and the Tradition of Gnosis Paperback – 27 Jul 2013
by Alfred Ribi (Author), Lance S. Owens (Foreword)

"The publication in 2009 of C. G. Jung's The Red Book: Liber Novus has initiated a broad reassessment of Jung’s place in cultural history. Among many revelations, the visionary events recorded in the Red Book reveal the foundation of Jung’s complex association with the Western tradition of Gnosis.

In The Search for Roots, Alfred Ribi closely examines Jung’s life-long association with Gnostic tradition. Dr. Ribi knows C. G. Jung and his tradition from the ground up. He began his analytical training with Marie-Louise von Franz in 1963, and continued working closely with Dr. von Franz for the next 30 years. For over four decades he has been an analyst, lecturer and examiner of the C. G. Jung Institute in Zurich, where he also served as the Director of Studies.

But even more importantly, early in his studies Dr. Ribi noted Jung’s underlying roots in Gnostic tradition, and he carefully followed those roots to their source. Alfred Ribi is unique in the Jungian analytical community for the careful scholarship and intellectual rigor he has brought to the study Gnosticism. In The Search for Roots, Ribi shows how a dialogue between Jungian and Gnostic studies can open new perspectives on the experiential nature of Gnosis, both ancient and modern. Creative engagement with Gnostic tradition broadens the imaginative scope of modern depth psychology and adds an essential context for understanding the voice of the soul emerging in our modern age.

A Foreword by Lance Owens supplements this volume with a discussion of Jung's encounter with Gnostic tradition while composing his Red Book (Liber Novus). Dr. Owens delivers a fascinating and historically well-documented account of how Gnostic mythology entered into Jung's personal mythology in the Red Book. Gnostic mythology thereafter became for Jung a prototypical image of his individuation. Owens offers this conclusion:

“In 1916 Jung had seemingly found the root of his myth and it was the myth of Gnosis. I see no evidence that this ever changed. Over the next forty years, he would proceed to construct an interpretive reading of the Gnostic tradition’s occult course across the Christian aeon: in Hermeticism, alchemy, Kabbalah, and Christian mysticism. In this vast hermeneutic enterprise, Jung was building a bridge across time, leading back to the foundation stone of classical Gnosticism. The bridge that led forward toward a new and coming aeon was footed on the stone rejected by the builders two thousand years ago.”

Alfred Ribi's examination of Jung’s relationship with Gnostic tradition comes at an important time. Initially authored prior to the publication of Jung's Red Book, current release of this English edition offers a bridge between the past and the forthcoming understanding of Jung’s Gnostic roots."

The Gnostic Jung: And the Seven Sermons to the Dead: And the Sermons to the Dead 
by Stephan A. Hoeller 

"Many decades later Jung commented thus upon these sermons: “All my work, all my creative activity, has come from those initial fantasies ... everything that I accomplished in later life was already contained in them, although at first only in the form of emotions and images.”
The seven sermons deal with the self as the androgynous being Abraxas, with the message that self-knowledge may be attained by the conscious assimilation of the contents of the subconscious, in order to achieve unity. The “dead” are those who stopped growing spiritually by not questioning their egos. By not growing, they are in essence the living dead.
Jung considered his own work a link in the golden chain from ancient gnosticism via philosophical alchemy to the modern psychology of the subconscious. Just as in those ancient texts, his work reveals a fragmented self in which the image of the divine may be found.

The author made his own translation of the sermons and provided a comprehensive preface, exegesis of the sermons and afterword in which he comments grippingly on Jung, gnosticism and the current era. His views on the survival of the pansophic/theosophic tradition (through the arts) are particularly enlightening.
Jung’s central doctrine of individuation is an ancient concept of the western esoteric tradition – the tendency of the individual consciousness not to surrender its light into nothingness. Unlike many eastern spiritual systems, the Western tradition never knew the permanent dissolution of the individual consciousness in the divine.
Already in the first sermon this question is discussed, i.e. how to remain an individual while simultaneously achieving an optimal degree of unity with the ineffable greatness of the pleroma within us. Jung gives us an undivided model of reality in which both causal and acausal connections, spirit and matter, are reconciled.
As for belief, Jung convincingly argues that human beings have a religious need - not a need for belief, however, but one for religious experience. This is a psychical experience that leads to the integration of the soul. Inner wholeness – gnosis – is achieved not by belief in ideas, but by experience.

In the place of a god to believe in, Jung thus offers us an existential truth that we can experience. He rejects the “god of belief” in favor of a symbol of lasting validity, and instead of the much abused concept of “belief”, he offers the power of the imagination as the way to gnosis, just as in the magickal and alchemical traditions.
The seven sermons are gripping and poetic, while the commentary is full of insight and enriched by quotes from inter alia the Nag Hammadi texts, Plotinus, Helena Blavatsky, Emerson and others. The most beautiful is a moving poem by the mystic Angelus Silesius, of which I quote a part:

“God is such as he is,
I am what I must be;
If you know one, in truth
You know both him and me.
I am the vine, which he
Doth plant and cherish most;
The fruit which grows from me
Is God, the holy ghost.”
This text, and Basilides’ thoughts on the pleroma (fullness of god), reminded me of Patti Smith’s song “Hymn” on her album Wave:
“When I am troubled in the night
He comes to comfort me
He wills me through the darkness
And the empty child is free
To take his hand, his sacred heart
The heart that breaks the dawn, amen.
And when I think I’ve had my fill
He fills me up again.”

I highly recommend this book as a bridge between psychology and religion, or rather the religious experience in the human psyche. It ought to be read together with William James’ “The Varieties of Religious Experience” and Richard Maurice Bucke’s “Cosmic Consciousness”, for a breathtaking metaphysical and metatextual experience."

'Quotes from Amazon'

The Choice Architecture Of Poverty – Hubert Huzzah
Written by Kitty S Jones

kittysjones.wordpress.com/2018/11/18/the-choice-architecture-of-poverty-hubert-huzzah/

Select Committee launch inquiry into ‘effectiveness of welfare system’ as UN rapporteur condemns Conservative policies
Written by Kitty S Jones

kittysjones.wordpress.com/2018/11/17/select-committee-launch-inquiry-into-effectiveness-of-welfare-system-as-un-rapporteur-condemns-conservative-policies/

PSC response to UN report on extreme poverty and human rights
17/11/2018

The continued attack on the welfare state under this government is being held up to international scrutiny and demands a response from psychologists

www.psychchange.org/blog/psc-response-to-un-report-on-extreme-poverty-and-human-rights

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy