MomStina2016

Hi. I got a 5mg dose of Haldol in the ER on July 9th 2016. It was for a migraine. Doom/terror instantly took over...I wanted to rip off my skin. My first panic attack happened. They told me to calm down and put me on oxygen. I started shaking horribly so the doctor added on 2mg Ativan for the anxiety it was giving me. That didn't help so 50 mg of Hydroxyzine (Benadryl). They sent me home in that condition told me i'd feel better in 12 hours when it wears off.

NOPE. I developed Akathisia. I paced my place for 2 weeks thinking I was going insane because I felt I HAD to do it. I couldn't sit, I couldn't eat for about a month, all I would do is cry and cry. Doctor put me on Zoloft which just made it so much worse mentally. I got pulled off of that 2 weeks after starting. I'm on Hydroxyzine nightly now. It does help calm my nerves some.

​I feel the same way I think it messed up my brain and central nervous system. Its getting near 3 months since the incident and i'm wondering if i'll ever get better. I have extreme anxiety symptoms. My nerves throughout my body feels weird..its hard to explain. My heart is always pounding.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

* Sprintec Birth Control for hemorrhaging: June 30th-July 7th 2016. 3 pills a day for 3 day, 2 pills a day for 2 days, then 1 pill a day.
​* Ibuprofen 800mg 3x a day for migraine due to birth control July 1st - July 7th
* ​Haldol​ 5mg for migraine ONCE July 9th 2016
* Ativan 2mg for migraine ONCE July 9th 2016
​* Hydroxyzine 50mg for migraine ONCE July 9th 2016
​* Xanax .5 only twice July 10th for anxiety due to above meds.
​* Zoloft  25mg for 2 weeks few days after Xanax
​* Hydroxyzine 25mg NIGHTLY after stopping Zoloft. Currently still on it. 2 months using.

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry! I'm sure a mod will be along soon to point you in the right direction. But I wanted to share with you that I had a very similar experience. I went to the ER fora migraine about 2 weeks ago and got " the cocktail" which in this case is compazine ( an antipsychotic) and Benadryl. It gave me the WORST akathisia ive ever experienced!!! And I've had some pretty bad bouts of anxiety. I'm much better now ( still dealing with chronic migraines but that's another story) I'm so sorry you had an adverse reaction but just wanted to chime because you are not alone and this type of thing DOES happen!!!

11/20/14-Found out I was 8 weeks pregnant
1/30/15-Went to ER for panic attacks, insomnia. Put on Lorazepam 2 X daily and Trazodone 50mg for 2 weeks
Started seeing psychiatrist 2/10- told to CT Lorazepam and trazodone increased to 100mg. Began Zoloft 25mg Zoloft increased 2/16 to 50mg, Trazodone increased to 200mg.

2/20- CT trazodone-lots of GI stress, increased anxiety

2/25 Reduced zoloft to 37.5mg no problems

3/12 reduced to 25mg  no problems

3/19 reduced to 12.5 mg. Hit by a 3.5 week wave-insomnia, Intrusive thoughts, depression, stomach cramps

Reduced to 11mg using liquid taper on 4/10 after a week of a great window. Started another wave 4/13-hoping it's a much smaller wave

Jumped off at 2mg 4 days after the birth of our baby on 6/16/15-massive crash

Tried 5mg Lexapro for 4 days July 2015-it didn't help

7.5-15 mg mirtazapine 1-2X week from August-January 2016 for insomnia. Sometimes used more, sometimes used less during sleep windows/waves. Quit being effective for insomnia in January 2016. 

Have a perscription for alprazolam .5mg PRN but it doesn't work on me for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

MomStina -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You are not alone in having an extended period of symptoms after brief exposure to a psychoactive medication. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Unfortunately a person so often doesn't know that his/her CNS (central nervous system) is sensitive to a drug or class of drugs until they're exposed to it. It sure seems as if the single Haldol dose definitely affected yours. People do recover from these events over time; the impact is unlikely to be permanent.

What questions do you have? How can we assist?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet