☼ NaturalBorn: Effexor cold turkey 300 mg

NaturalBorn

thanks for this post. it makes me better understand Effexor (because I am thinking about getting on Effexor).

stay away from this crap, if i only had done any research before taking them like you did, my life would be 100x better

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in march of 2016 was at 300mg again

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

in september tried reducing trazadone to 50mg

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

currently taking 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel at night

Have you read the post here on this site on how to make your drugs into liquid?

When I was 15 years old i had a kundalini rising. It was a wake up call from what I had been my whole life, a person who always did what others told me to do and never loved anyone. I was a very scared child because my mother was always very worried. In december 2010 i got locked in a psychiatric hospital. I was there for almost a half year, they felt they could do nothing to help me. Then I got locked in again i august 2011 and got the strongest antipsuchotic drug there is, Cisordinol, its not allowed in the US. I was a zombie for one year, my psychologist said I had got a prefrontal lobotomy, that I had PTSD and the the only thing worse was war torture. My parents did nothing else than bullying me with the things i couldn´t. For a couple of years, I did nothing. I mourned over my life who I had lost and time flew as it does to those who had lost their sence of time. In december 2014 I was close to death because of the drugs. From around march 2015 things started to turn the right way for me, my near death experience was a wake up call for me, I was filled with love and accept and I met my boyfriend. I was also at a psychiatric hospital again from january 2015 to september 2015. When I got out I thought that now was my life starting to go the right way for me. I stopped with the medication from one day to another and it was the worst mistake I ever made. I was in withdrawal and I started to forget and it just continued to be worse and it still does. Along with that I got locked in again from january 2016 to may 2016. I had no other choise than to take medication otherwise they would let me do nothing. The place where I live now forces me to take medication, otherwise I cant live there and I have nowhere else to live. I had left my first boyfriend despite i still loves him and believes that we one day can be together again but I felt that he didnt understood what I was going through. I have a new friend/ boyfriend who I feel understands my feelings and that it is okay to be sad and frustrated. Whenever my mom is visiting me I just wanna vomit and thats one of my main problems. Please write to me if you find me interesting or you have experienced something similar to me.

Have you read the post here on this site on how to make your drugs into liquid?

actually yes i did, but it just seems to complicated to me... i will try to do this in the regular way this time, i know this may sound stupid, but i'm in kind of a hurry to get this done with, once i'm drug free the real healing will begin, right now i feel like i'm just stuck in time

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

And something that have helped me too when my body is fucked and my memory is gone is doing yoga in my bed. Then you just need to stay in bed and do nothing else. Just search on youtube for example "Yoga for stress and axiety" or "Yoga for detox". I can recommend you some channels, "Yoga with Adriene" and "Yoga TX". Just remember that everytime you are feeling down and thinking that your life is over then the medical industry and the doctors who gave you this are thinking "Yes! One more down!". Not that it is not okay to mourn over the life you could have had.

When I was 15 years old i had a kundalini rising. It was a wake up call from what I had been my whole life, a person who always did what others told me to do and never loved anyone. I was a very scared child because my mother was always very worried. In december 2010 i got locked in a psychiatric hospital. I was there for almost a half year, they felt they could do nothing to help me. Then I got locked in again i august 2011 and got the strongest antipsuchotic drug there is, Cisordinol, its not allowed in the US. I was a zombie for one year, my psychologist said I had got a prefrontal lobotomy, that I had PTSD and the the only thing worse was war torture. My parents did nothing else than bullying me with the things i couldn´t. For a couple of years, I did nothing. I mourned over my life who I had lost and time flew as it does to those who had lost their sence of time. In december 2014 I was close to death because of the drugs. From around march 2015 things started to turn the right way for me, my near death experience was a wake up call for me, I was filled with love and accept and I met my boyfriend. I was also at a psychiatric hospital again from january 2015 to september 2015. When I got out I thought that now was my life starting to go the right way for me. I stopped with the medication from one day to another and it was the worst mistake I ever made. I was in withdrawal and I started to forget and it just continued to be worse and it still does. Along with that I got locked in again from january 2016 to may 2016. I had no other choise than to take medication otherwise they would let me do nothing. The place where I live now forces me to take medication, otherwise I cant live there and I have nowhere else to live. I had left my first boyfriend despite i still loves him and believes that we one day can be together again but I felt that he didnt understood what I was going through. I have a new friend/ boyfriend who I feel understands my feelings and that it is okay to be sad and frustrated. Whenever my mom is visiting me I just wanna vomit and thats one of my main problems. Please write to me if you find me interesting or you have experienced something similar to me.

But sometimes you can try to overcome yourself and go out for just a couple of hours. Always remember, you can always take home again if it gets too much for you. Dont you have any friends who wants to do anything with you? And I dont mean parties and stuff, but something more quiet, for example a walk in the nature or something. Last friday I was at Copenhagen culture night, and it was hard being with so many people and taking the train because I havent done that for almost a year. But I took off anyway adn I went to the zoo with my friend and we took home after 3 hours and it actually  became a good experience.

But sometimes you can try to overcome yourself and go out for just a couple of hours. Always remember, you can always take home again if it gets too much for you. Dont you have any friends who wants to do anything with you? And I dont mean parties and stuff, but something more quiet, for example a walk in the nature or something. Last friday I was at Copenhagen culture night, and it was hard being with so many people and taking the train because I havent done that for almost a year. But I took off anyway adn I went to the zoo with my friend and we took home after 3 hours and it actually  became a good experience.

actually no, all my friends party hard, so i'm pretty much left alone, but that's kind of ok, dealing with people is extremely hard now, i much rather be alone, i try to hang out with them at least once a week, and now i'm not drinking and nothing so it's pretty boring, also i have no libido so this makes it even harder to go out with them because we were always looking for girls. my life is just pure misery now. i don't see point in anything at all, not even watching a movie, i can't stop thinking about my situation 24/7 it's the first thing i think when i wake up and the last thing i think when go to sleep.

i only have peace when i'm sleeping, then i wake up to this nightmare everyday. this is killing me, i used to be such a hard living guy and now at such a young age i lost everything!

i pretty much just know that my life is never going to be the same, but i can't make peaces with it. sorry for being so dramatic, but this is just to much. being a young male who once was knew for being strong and hard living. now i'm just bedridden. i don't see hope anywhere....

went up to 300mgs

my life could have been so different, i feel like the most miserable person on earth. i can't do nothing at all, everything is 100 times harder. i lost my cognitive skills, i can't even hold a conversation with anybody. i can't think my way out of things, i get confused even trying to buy a gum, or going to lunch, while everybody else is living the good life, i'm stuck in symptoms that i would never had to deal with if it wasn't for my decision of going to meds, my mom before tried to advise me "are you sure you want to go on medication" and i said "i gonna give it a try", i can't express my level of regret. i'm just a walking body waiting to die, and the worst part is that i'm just freaking 20!!!!

this should be the best part of my life and i'mloosing everything. i'm just seeing life vanish away from me and there's nothing i can do about it. death would be a lot better

even in my darkest moments of depression before going to medication, i never thought it could end up this way, i always thought i would end up with a great life, even being sad... and to be honest sometimes my sadness even felt good before all this, now i can't even cry no matter what, i'm just like a powerless castrated zombie. at least before all this i could be a sad person with some problems, but i had a chance of being great at something, i was smart, i was strong, now all it's gone. this is just so pathetic, everybody around me has no clue what this is like, they just think i'm being depressed for nothing.

went up to 300mgs

Cant you even do yoga in bed? Its just moving some muscles and you can stop after 10 minutes

Cant you even do yoga in bed? Its just moving some muscles and you can stop after 10 minutes

gonna try it, has it helped you?

went up to 300mgs

Yes sometimes. But my body is chronically damaged. My immune system are down, my cells are not regenerating much, I have nerve damage in my brain, most people except a few (maybe 1 or 2 friends) are leaving me because im not interesting or myself. My new boyfriend also dont care about me. Youre not the only one who´s life is ****ed up.

Edited by JanCarol
language

Yes sometimes. But my body is chronically damaged. My immune system are down, my cells are not regenerating much, I have nerve damage in my brain, most people except a few (maybe 1 or 2 friends) are leaving me because im not interesting or myself. My new boyfriend also dont care about me. Youre not the only one who´s life is fucked up.

do you believe someday you will reach 100% again? like being fully healed?

went up to 300mgs

I believe, and I know this can sound hard when youre having a hard time like you, that you can learn something from the pain. Not that im thankful for it. You learn who are your real friends and who is not. You learn to handle yourself in tough situations. I was happy one year ago, I didnt thought of my brain damage in years. I didnt saw myself as braindamaged. Now when im having a bad time its coming up again. You can be so happy that you dont even notice that youre braindamaged. And I believe thats the beginning of healing, to start forgetting that youre braindamaged and all the things you cant do and maybe one day you realise that you are actually not braindamaged anymore.

I believe, and I know this can sound hard when youre having a hard time like you, that you can learn something from the pain. Not that im thankful for it. You learn who are your real friends and who is not. You learn to handle yourself in tough situations. I was happy one year ago, I didnt thought of my brain damage in years. I didnt saw myself as braindamaged. Now when im having a bad time its coming up again. You can be so happy that you dont even notice that youre braindamaged. And I believe thats the beginning of healing, to start forgetting that youre braindamaged and all the things you cant do and maybe one day you realise that you are actually not braindamaged anymore.

thanks a lot sara, i'm trying to read some success stories on benzo buddies right now, i really need some hope that i will be fine...i hope we can recover from this, and not just accept to live poor quality life style. if one day i get to believe that i'm 100% life will seem like a piece of cake, but it's just hard when i hear from people telling that they never recovered... it just brings me such terror. i saw one woman saying that she was a nurse and went on antidepressants and even 10 years later she still has some severe cognitive issues, this is so scary. but i will try my best to not lose hope

went up to 300mgs

Okay. Please keep me updated on how you are feeling

Hey NaturalBorn! I know the feelings of hopelessness make you want to seek out recovery stories desperately, but keep in mind that people are a lot more inclined to talk about the negative than the positive. Also, you said that reading recovery stories without 100% recovery make you feel terrible. Keep in mind that you're processing this information in a very bad emotional state. The 'not 100% recovered' story may mean that there are minor reminders of the withdrawal, but they're nothing compared to the full-blown withdrawal.

As others have suggested, I would recommend sticking to the devil you know and not changing meds. 

Also, try not to ponder on the what-if's because all that's been done has been done. This is not only useful in withdrawal and in life, too. You'll experience all those things you say you're missing out on in the future. People will probably not understand what you're going through, but that doesn't mean they don't care. And even if they say they don't understand you or call you weak, please do remember that it's ignorance speaking. Only you know what you're feeling right now and other people's judgements are only judgements. We pass judgements based on our own knowledge and emotional experience. There's no ultimate truth in judgements, they're only a reflection of the person passing them.

Have you tried physical therapy yet? If so, how did it go?

I'm so sorry to see you suffering like this and wish you all the best!

History:

Escitalopram 10mg Nov - Jan 2016 (switched to Effexor XR)

Effexor XR 37,5mg Jan - Feb 2016; 75mg Feb - April 2016; 37,5mg for one week in April, 75mg April-July 2016 (started tapering, took my last beads on Sept 11.)

The fluctuations happened because my GP mistakingly prescribed me the wrong dosage.

Oxazepam 2x10mg Dec 2015 - Jan 2016 (basically CT but no apparent symptoms); June 2016 - Feb 2017 (c/o to Valium)

Current:

Valdoxan 25mg Dec 2015 - Sept 2016. 12.4mg (Sept - Nov '16) -> 11.86mg (Nov '16) -> 10.75mg (Dec '16) -> 9.75mg (Jan '17) -> 8mg (March '17) -> 7mg (April '17) -> 4.5mg (May '17) -> 4mg (Jan '18) -> updosed to 4.5mg in the end of January

Valium (liquid form) 8.5mg Feb 2017. 7.6mg (June '17) -> 7.2mg (June '17) -> 6.8mg (July '17) -> 6.4 (Sept '17) -> 6.2 (March '18) -> 6 (April 7 '18) -> 5.8 (April 17 '18) -> 5.6 (April 26 '18) -> 5.4 (July 16 '18) -> 5.2 (March '20) -> 5 (March '20)

What to take away from all this: if you feel extremely sick only after a few doses of an AD, please tell your doctor and just stop. Adding medications is no bueno.

Okay. Please keep me updated on how you are feeling

thanks i will

went up to 300mgs

Hey NaturalBorn! I know the feelings of hopelessness make you want to seek out recovery stories desperately, but keep in mind that people are a lot more inclined to talk about the negative than the positive. Also, you said that reading recovery stories without 100% recovery make you feel terrible. Keep in mind that you're processing this information in a very bad emotional state. The 'not 100% recovered' story may mean that there are minor reminders of the withdrawal, but they're nothing compared to the full-blown withdrawal.

As others have suggested, I would recommend sticking to the devil you know and not changing meds. 

Also, try not to ponder on the what-if's because all that's been done has been done. This is not only useful in withdrawal and in life, too. You'll experience all those things you say you're missing out on in the future. People will probably not understand what you're going through, but that doesn't mean they don't care. And even if they say they don't understand you or call you weak, please do remember that it's ignorance speaking. Only you know what you're feeling right now and other people's judgements are only judgements. We pass judgements based on our own knowledge and emotional experience. There's no ultimate truth in judgements, they're only a reflection of the person passing them.

Have you tried physical therapy yet? If so, how did it go?

I'm so sorry to see you suffering like this and wish you all the best!

thank you fuerza, yes i tried it a couple of times and i'm going back today, didn't felt any difference, but it's to soon to tell... i try my best to not go into meds, and i can say that i wouldn't even have reinstated if it wasn't for the insomnia, being awake for days is just too hardcore, but this time i will never go into any daily use of medication FOR SURE, i will stick to the devil like you said... i'm really excited about being medication free anyway... but if i stay let's say, 2 days awake i will have to take some ambien. now i'mwise enough to not take them everyday. wish you the best on this journey as well

went up to 300mgs

Sleep deprivation is the worst. I take Oxazepam and Silexan to get some sleep, sometimes they help and sometimes they don't. If it's any help to you, my sleep problems have gotten better after quitting Effexor. Of course, it's too early to tell because I just quit a little more than a month ago, but it's nothing compared to how I felt when I went on it (approx 0 to 3 hours of sleep evey night).

Great to hear that you went to physical therapy. I know my local vision therapist uses physical therapy along with eye exercises to help people who have neurological eye problems (nothing wrong with the eye, but with the brain wiring) and it's been very successful. She said that physical therapy or moving around can actually 'turn on' some parts of the brain and the brain is able to relearn things more efficiently. Things that physical therapy can achieve are pretty amazing. It also gives you something to focus your attention on.

Sending my best thoughts to you!

History:

Escitalopram 10mg Nov - Jan 2016 (switched to Effexor XR)

Effexor XR 37,5mg Jan - Feb 2016; 75mg Feb - April 2016; 37,5mg for one week in April, 75mg April-July 2016 (started tapering, took my last beads on Sept 11.)

The fluctuations happened because my GP mistakingly prescribed me the wrong dosage.

Oxazepam 2x10mg Dec 2015 - Jan 2016 (basically CT but no apparent symptoms); June 2016 - Feb 2017 (c/o to Valium)

Current:

Valdoxan 25mg Dec 2015 - Sept 2016. 12.4mg (Sept - Nov '16) -> 11.86mg (Nov '16) -> 10.75mg (Dec '16) -> 9.75mg (Jan '17) -> 8mg (March '17) -> 7mg (April '17) -> 4.5mg (May '17) -> 4mg (Jan '18) -> updosed to 4.5mg in the end of January

Valium (liquid form) 8.5mg Feb 2017. 7.6mg (June '17) -> 7.2mg (June '17) -> 6.8mg (July '17) -> 6.4 (Sept '17) -> 6.2 (March '18) -> 6 (April 7 '18) -> 5.8 (April 17 '18) -> 5.6 (April 26 '18) -> 5.4 (July 16 '18) -> 5.2 (March '20) -> 5 (March '20)

What to take away from all this: if you feel extremely sick only after a few doses of an AD, please tell your doctor and just stop. Adding medications is no bueno.

Hi NB,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still feeling so bad. I have a friend that reinstated and it took her months before she stabilized. 

I'm over on benzo buddies too and I am starting to read the success stories too. This one was shared on a thread I was reading and I found it very inspiring.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=167314.0

I hope that you find some help in the physical therapy, even if it's not immediate it may be doing things that show up later. 

Sending healing energy and hugs your way.

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

Hi NB,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still feeling so bad. I have a friend that reinstated and it took her months before she stabilized. 

I'm over on benzo buddies too and I am starting to read the success stories too. This one was shared on a thread I was reading and I found it very inspiring.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=167314.0

I hope that you find some help in the physical therapy, even if it's not immediate it may be doing things that show up later. 

Sending healing energy and hugs your way.

thanks tntd, it does brings some hope! right now my plan is to get off this meds and get the real healing to begin, i think one of the reasons for withdrawal being so hard last years was because i was drinking heavily and taking multiple benzos, muscle relaxants, pain pills, etc... now my plan is to not use anything at all, and only take some sleeping pills when the real insomnia kicks in. after all i do need to drive and work everyday, and the insomnia is by far the most scary symptom...

anyway thank you, sending healing vibes your way as well

went up to 300mgs

I have heard that drinking and such can cause the withdrawal to be worse. It makes you feel better for the moment but then smacks you upside the head later. I'm glad you are going to work on getting off without using other drugs. I hope you are able to sleep.

Are you going to taper the meds?

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

I have heard that drinking and such can cause the withdrawal to be worse. It makes you feel better for the moment but then smacks you upside the head later. I'm glad you are going to work on getting off without using other drugs. I hope you are able to sleep.

Are you going to taper the meds?

yes i started my taper 2 days ago, from 50 mgs of seroquel to 37,5. i plan on starting my trazadone taper by december... so 2017 is going to be all about healing for me

went up to 300mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

NaturalBorn, we suggest that you taper only ONE medication at a time.  Please wait until you've been off seroquel and have been stable for a couple of months before starting to reduce dose of trazodone. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

NaturalBorn, we suggest that you taper only ONE medication at a time.  Please wait until you've been off seroquel and have been stable for a couple of months before starting to reduce dose of trazodone. 

ok, so i think i will start to reduce the trazadone only after 2 months being completely off seroquel. is this enought time?

went up to 300mgs

People on benzo forums seem to heal much more, plus they symptoms doens't seem so bizarre, i see a lot of people being fully recoved within 2 years and stuff like that. I'm getting more amd more scared abput my situation. Everywhere that i look i don't seem to findd much hope. I need to believe that i will feel better with time and ezpirience significant symptom relief, or else i see no point in this

went up to 300mgs

Hi NB,

I'm on the benzo forum too. I've seen people who are in similar situations as yours and they do heal but it takes time. Often more than two years. I'm starting my taper from clonazepam on Nov 1. Right now I am pretty much completely housbound except for doctors appointments that I force myself to go to, often with tears streaming down my face due to the fear. I have GI problems, headaches, extreme fatigue, and the list goes on. The taper I'm planning for myself is probably going to take years to complete because I am planning on going really slow. The people on the benzo boards who go more quickly often end up with horrible withdrawal symptoms and don't always heal in two years. I'm not trying to scare you I'm just trying to show you that you are not experiencing anything unusual and that you will heal in time. 

This is a quote from Wellness, one of the moderators:

"The hardest part of withdrawal for me, apart from the symptoms themselves, was that there were no breaks.  So after a while the symptoms weren't worse, it's just that I was so worn out.  The energy that is needed to fight this each and every day is so great that it wears on us.  The only way to get through this is to tackle one single day at a time until we finally see that the symptoms start decreasing in intensity."

I believe that you can do this. Take faith, have hope, you are a strong person and you can do it but do it one day at a time. Try not to think of the future so much, it will take care of itself. 

I am thinking about you, I believe in you. 

{{{{Hugs}}}} and healing energy

Hi NB,

I'm on the benzo forum too. I've seen people who are in similar situations as yours and they do heal but it takes time. Often more than two years. I'm starting my taper from clonazepam on Nov 1. Right now I am pretty much completely housbound except for doctors appointments that I force myself to go to, often with tears streaming down my face due to the fear. I have GI problems, headaches, extreme fatigue, and the list goes on. The taper I'm planning for myself is probably going to take years to complete because I am planning on going really slow. The people on the benzo boards who go more quickly often end up with horrible withdrawal symptoms and don't always heal in two years. I'm not trying to scare you I'm just trying to show you that you are not experiencing anything unusual and that you will heal in time. 

This is a quote from Wellness, one of the moderators:

"The hardest part of withdrawal for me, apart from the symptoms themselves, was that there were no breaks.  So after a while the symptoms weren't worse, it's just that I was so worn out.  The energy that is needed to fight this each and every day is so great that it wears on us.  The only way to get through this is to tackle one single day at a time until we finally see that the symptoms start decreasing in intensity."

I believe that you can do this. Take faith, have hope, you are a strong person and you can do it but do it one day at a time. Try not to think of the future so much, it will take care of itself. 

I am thinking about you, I believe in you. 

{{{{Hugs}}}} and healing energy

thanks tntd, you always know what to say... when i finish my taper i'm gonna start to write down every symptom that i'm expiriencing, everyday, and try to see some improvement from there, 2 years to me sound "ok" after all that i read and all that i know now. if i get this done in this time, i will be 22 years, so i will have a lot of time to go on.

anyway all i can do is hope and pray that it doesn't get to bad, worriyng too much like i'm doing can't be good. wish you the best as well tntd we will heal!

went up to 300mgs

Hey man, your biggest asset is your youth. I went off four meds in two years. I wouldnt recomend it,I take nothing now, the insomnia is hard. Time is on your side take your taper slow and you will get there.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

Hey man, your biggest asset is your youth. I went off four meds in two years. I wouldnt recomend it,I take nothing now, the insomnia is hard. Time is on your side take your taper slow and you will get there.

thans alot, i'm gonna buy some melatonin and magnesium to stay away from any crap pill

wish you the best!!!

went up to 300mgs

had you expirienced some improvement or at least change un symptoms in those 14 months?

went up to 300mgs

hello, i need an expert answer in this. does the time that you were on the drugs REALLY influences the lenght of your recovery? i noticed that benzo people do heal a lot better, reading they success stories, it's not hard to find those "100% recovered in one year, n o l asting symptoms", in here we see people who don't expirience no change at all in 2-3 years...

i see a lot of people describing symptoms getting worse at 10 months and stuff like that, that's not the case with benzos, for some reason... is this because the ssris/snris causes damage beyond recovery?

please i would apprecciate honest answers from someone expert about this

went up to 300mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Generalizations can be made about recovery time, but they would be based only on anecdotal data and therefore of little practical use. Very few, if any, studies have been done to understand potential causative factors and to quantify the relationship between those factors and recovery time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi NB,

I'm glad I can be of some help. 

I don't know if you do much reading but you might want to read Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. He talks about all different types of meds and their long term effects. It may give you some of the answers you are looking for. 

I know there are other books out there that I have seen recommended by memebers of SA but so far this is the only one that I have read, other than the withdrawal section of Medication Madness by Peter Breggin. Other than that it is pretty much the success stories from people on boards like this that help us know that we can heal. I've seen stories of complete healing by people from AD's too. Keep in mind that a lot of people don't come back and write their success stories, they are back out enjoying life because they are fully healed. There are also others that never find their way here or never actually join but follow the forum. 

You will heal, it will take time, and it will not be fun, but you will heal. We are all struggling through this together and I imagine all of wish that we were doing something else. I know I do!!

I know it's hard to stay hopeful when you feel so horrible. I go there too sometimes. I think we all do. The trick is to not let your mind stay there. Find another thing for your mind to do. We can only focus on one thing at a time. Find something you enjoy and immerse yourself in it. 

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and sending healing energy and hugs to you. 

had you expirienced some improvement or at least change un symptoms in those 14 months?

Yea symptoms changed a lot, had no energy at the start I have lots of emery now, my mood was good for a long time, its winter here now, and my first winter off meds so I am having to dig in a little bit, I can still function but its been tough. I can see glimmers of light every now and again which sustains me.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

Hi NB,

I'm glad I can be of some help. 

I don't know if you do much reading but you might want to read Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. He talks about all different types of meds and their long term effects. It may give you some of the answers you are looking for. 

I know there are other books out there that I have seen recommended by memebers of SA but so far this is the only one that I have read, other than the withdrawal section of Medication Madness by Peter Breggin. Other than that it is pretty much the success stories from people on boards like this that help us know that we can heal. I've seen stories of complete healing by people from AD's too. Keep in mind that a lot of people don't come back and write their success stories, they are back out enjoying life because they are fully healed. There are also others that never find their way here or never actually join but follow the forum. 

You will heal, it will take time, and it will not be fun, but you will heal. We are all struggling through this together and I imagine all of wish that we were doing something else. I know I do!!

I know it's hard to stay hopeful when you feel so horrible. I go there too sometimes. I think we all do. The trick is to not let your mind stay there. Find another thing for your mind to do. We can only focus on one thing at a time. Find something you enjoy and immerse yourself in it. 

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and sending healing energy and hugs to you. 

i'm not really into books, speacilly now! haha, i'm at that point of despair all day long, now i'm even moreworried because i let doctors put me on antipsychotics... the result can't be good, i think being pollydruged makes it all worse, back in the day i should have just used a benzo like 2 times a week or something instead of going into new meds, because now i'm worried about seroquel and trazadone withdrawal, and i'm not stabilized at all!

i'm living a horror movie 24/7, i don't know how could i let them put in a new category of meds if i was suffering that much and i knew it was because of effexor, but we can't turn back time.... how i wish we could. the results can't be good because i heard that the more drugs you use the hardest is going to be the recovery, wish i had just one thing to worry about.

sorry i can't write a good reply right now, i'm just being drived mad from terror

went up to 300mgs

And something that have helped me too when my body is fucked and my memory is gone is doing yoga in my bed. Then you just need to stay in bed and do nothing else. Just search on youtube for example "Yoga for stress and axiety" or "Yoga for detox". I can recommend you some channels, "Yoga with Adriene" and "Yoga TX". Just remember that everytime you are feeling down and thinking that your life is over then the medical industry and the doctors who gave you this are thinking "Yes! One more down!". Not that it is not okay to mourn over the life you could have had.

Hi Sara,

I think I'll try meditation or yoga as I'm bedridden with terror. Just trying to get through the days...

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.