Sunny123: Getting off Lamictal and Abilify

Sunny123

I am new to the site and actually have never used an online site for anything before so I hope I can figure it out:). I am down to 50mg lamictal from 200 and it's tough. Then I'm going to see if my psychiatrist will prescribe liquid abilify to get off that, I'm only on 2mg.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

I am currently on 50mg lamictal and 2mg abilify. I started my lamictal taper on 3-11-16, cutting by 12.5mg every two weeks or longer if I'm not feeling ready for the next cut. It's hard, but looking back I'm actually doing amazing to be at 50mg. I had tried a lamictal taper before, starting 1-20-16 but I went from 200 to 150 and had to go back up to 175 by 2-2-16 and to full amount 200mg by 2-10-16. I did make it off Cymbalta - going from 60 to 40 to 20 to 0 in 6 weeks (10-19-15 to 11-30-15). That was brutal. At the time I had a county psychiatrist who refused to even give me 30's, so I opened capsules and estimated 40 and 20.

I went off abilify for several months in winter 2014-15. I felt I needed to go back on. I have mostly been on a cocktail of lamictal, abilify and cymbalta for 5 yrs. 5 yrs ago I stopped breastfeeding and went on lexapro. It made me high and they called me bipolar and started the cocktail. I've also been on provigil, hydroxyzine and topomax at various times pretty short. I was 32 when I went on lexapro, between teenager (first med Prozac) and 32 I've been on and off antidepressants mostly. Abilify and lamictal were only since 5yrs ago.

Primarily I have severe social and other anxiety, trouble functioning/overwhelm/fear, depression, sleepiness and fatigue despite sleep. Skin picking. It gets very bad at times but I'm not sure meds have helped, mayb they have harmed. They're a wonder in the beginning then they don't work and caused weight gain.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sunny -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You've arrived at a good place to learn about psychiatric medications and how to safely taper off them. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Two tips to make using the site easier:

1. You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread.  Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears:  select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

2. Setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.

Two requests:

• Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. Are you taking any other medications, (for blood pressure or pain, etc.) other than abilify and lamictal?  If so, please include them.
    Please put your withdrawal history in signature

• When a someone is taking multiple medications, we ask that that you post an interactions report.  Follow the link below to get your report. Just select the text, copy it and paste it in a post here.
    Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

Please post how you reduced your Lamictal dosage from 200 mg to 50: When did you start reducing dosage? What were the dosages you took between starting at 200 and your current dose of 50 mg?

Because you say your taper has been tough I'm guessing that you have been decreasing dose faster than we recommend.  SA and other psychiatric meds peer support groups suggest decreasing by 10% or less of your current dose no more often than every month. For more details about this, please read our topic
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You may find that some of the symptoms you've experienced so far are known and possibly common symptoms of withdrawal from psychiatric medications such as Lamictal and Abilify. Here are two topics with more details:
What is withdrawal syndrome
Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

Even though you've made great progress in reducing your Lamictal dosage, please read our topic about what's involved in tapering:

Before you begin - what you need to know

Two discussions that are probably relevant to your situation:
Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)
Tips for tapering off Abilify (aripiprazole)

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  Again, welcome!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

moderator note: This is the interactions report on Lamictal (lamotrigine) and Abilify (aripiprazole)

Using lamoTRIgine together with ARIPiprazole may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any

Edited by scallywag
add note about this post

I am currently on 50mg lamictal and 2mg abilify. I started my lamictal taper on 3-11-16, cutting by 12.5mg every two weeks or longer if I'm not feeling ready for the next cut. It's hard, but looking back I'm actually doing amazing to be at 50mg. I had tried a lamictal taper before, starting 1-20-16 but I went from 200 to 150 and had to go back up to 175 by 2-2-16 and to full amount 200mg by 2-10-16. I did make it off Cymbalta - going from 60 to 40 to 20 to 0 in 6 weeks (10-19-15 to 11-30-15). That was brutal. At the time I had a county psychiatrist who refused to even give me 30's, so I opened capsules and estimated 40 and 20.

I went off abilify for several months in winter 2014-15. I felt I needed to go back on. I have mostly been on a cocktail of lamictal, abilify and cymbalta for 5 yrs. 5 yrs ago I stopped breastfeeding and went on lexapro. It made me high and they called me bipolar and started the cocktail. I've also been on provigil, hydroxyzine and topomax at various times pretty short. I was 32 when I went on lexapro, between teenager (first med Prozac) and 32 I've been on and off antidepressants mostly. Abilify and lamictal were only since 5yrs ago.

Primarily I have severe social and other anxiety, trouble functioning/overwhelm/fear, depression, sleepiness and fatigue despite sleep. Skin picking. It gets very bad at times but I'm not sure meds have helped, mayb they have harmed. They're a wonder in the beginning then they don't work and caused weight gain.

Hey Sunny

I read your signature since you didn't describe much in your post and the always feeling sleepy and fatigued are common symptoms of those both on the pills and also those going through withdrawal.   Weight gain too, is a common side effect.  I went from 160 lbs to 230 lbs in a matter of years on these drugs.

Like you this site was my first experience with an online forum.  I only just got the internet a year ago so I didn't know anything about tapering when  I stopped Zoloft and zyprexa cold turkey in Feb 2014.  I had a pretty rotten time on abilify in 2004 when I was on the drug for 6 months.  It gave me akithisia where I felt I always had to be moving and couldn't stop. 

Derek

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Thankyou!!!!! This is big progress for me, actually communicating online!!!! I don't necessarily have support here, so I need the online peers and staff. I haves great husband and a mom who supports going down on meds, but I go to AA and there and elsewhere there's a common attitude of "go on meds, trust your doctor, stay on em forever, don't question Etc." I just decided to stop working w my sponsor bc in part of her not supporting me on this.

Yeah, I have been told the worst things about taking the meds.  At one group home I was living in in 2004, the staff told us "to take the pills like a religion".  Apparently, these pills are as important as God to people working in the mental health system or else they are like a really toxic  form of communion wafer.  Also,  a lot of people would try to give me the glum face while they would tell me "You may have to be on these pills your whole life."  Many  doctors and even my father would tell me that one, but it's not true, it's just a bit of fatalism and it can be both depressing and maddening to hear people tell you what is best for you especially when they have absolutely no experience taking these drugs and so don't know how they affect the body and mind.  

I hope you are able to figure out how to navigate this site.  You will find a lot of stories very similar to your own.  This was my first online chat group when I joined last October.   you can also send people messages that will show up in their email as a way of contacting them if they haven't been keeping up on this site.  I have done that on several occasions when I have read people's intros that I can relate to.  It's nice just to talk to someone experiencing the same problems.  Just curious, where in Wisconsin are you?  I went to UW- Madison for a number of years back in the early  1990's.  

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Thankyou. Yes. I'm in Washington county. Sorry, Thankyou for replying and relating and understanding- it is maddening. And yes, people push meds never having had the experience themselves. Oh well, I am getting off them now. I will continue at 12.5mg decreases, I can't imagine taking 5yrs or something to get off (the 10%rule wud take forever). I am having trouble turning to God. I need that relief. Shud I go to my AA mtg now (in 28min) or try to "do money"? Doing money is paying bills, etc. Trying to deal w financial stress. I am having hard time knowing what is Gods will

I'm struggling. Today's day 5 of 50mg lamictal, down from 62.5- a 20% decrease. I'm irritable, negative, panicky, can't function very well, paralyzed, :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sunny and welcome from me too.  It would seem that your last drop was too large and/or your tapering method is starting to catch up with you.

SA recommends a harm reduction method of tapering 10% of the previous dose followed by a 3-4 week holding period to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Many members find that they need to go slower as their dose gets lower.

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

You might also find this topic interesting:  Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves.  Check out the graphs in Posts #12 & #18.

Please see Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization.  It's better not to increase your dose at the first sign of symptoms.  If the symptoms remain for a while and are unbearable you might want to consider reinstating/updosing a small amount.  It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to full state in the blood and about another week for it to fully register in the brain.   Please Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable.  It's important not to jump your doses around.

Let us know if you are considering updosing and we can suggest what dose increase to make.  Please keep notes on paper of what symptoms you get, and when you get them and of what improves or worsens.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thankyou. I didn't know many people need to go slower when the dose is lower. To me it feels like, ok I'm almost off lets go! The problem is I can't get smaller doses without telling my psychiatrist I'm going off. He was willing to prescribe me 25's but he thinks I'm taking 175mg total. And I want to ask him for liquid abilify so I feel I can't ask him for liquid lamictal

• Moderator Emeritus

Often people feel fine while they make large dose reductions. Then a month or two down the road, they get SLAMMED with worrying and painful symptoms.  Although 10% seems slow and it will take many months or a few years, your life will much much easier. Going fast risks taking more time recovering from withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I appreciate Rhi's info on how it's not just getting it out of my system, that my brain has to heal and that it's a slow process w waves and Windows (now I'm thinking of the video). I feel encouraged and warned to not go too fast, to b patient, it's a bit depressing how long it could take but really I'm amazed in down to 50 when early 2016 I couldn't even go down to 175. So slow is working, but possibly I would want ideally to go slower even

Thankyou scallywag, I just saw you replied.. Huh, I am stubborn to get off at my rate (which compared to my past, is very slow and responsible) but I wouldn't want a worse outcome of worse withdrawal and actually not recovering as fast. I have predicament w my psychiatrist tho, unable to get liquid or child doses. And it scares me the longer I'm on abilify for risk of serious side effect (I wasn't going to touch it until I was fully off lamictal

How does getting off psych meds compare w coming off alcohol or illegal drugs? Just curious. Is it just as hard? Does the brain take forever to rebuild off alcohol-drugs too? I'm partly curious bc I stopped alcohol and mj (years ago) and wonder if I shud think of this similarly or not. Hope it's ok to ask

I feel like I am talking to myself:). How do I connect w you guys? Do I go into your threads and just try to relate? Do I choose a topic and just jump in? Anybody else desperate to connect w people?

• Moderator Emeritus

Posting in other members' introduction threads is a good way to let people know that you want to connect. You could look for people on the same meds as you or who live in the same area.

scallywag's Introduction

Sunny

I sent you a message about a facebook page that some of us from this site take part in.  Look in your mailbox.  It's the little envelope icon in the upper corner. 

Poetjester

Hey Sunny

It's me again. I sent you another message answering your questions regarding the facebook page and this site. Check your inbox envelope icon again.

Derek

Thankyou, sorry for delay. I'm trying to see where I fit, get used to these sites but it's overwhelming, confusing, scary.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please be patient and gentle with yourself as you figure out the avenues to connect with others. For many of us first time we used an internet forum or interactive site was exciting and more than a little scary. :)

scallywag's Introduction

Thankyou!!!!! I'm struggling. I'm not sure where I belong. I'm tapering but not as slow as you suggest. For me it is slow. I'm going to see my psychiatrist this wk to ask for liquid abilify. I hope it could be .2mg per ml bc that seems easier to use. I take 2mg per day now. I'm thinking at .2 per ml I'd take 10ml to have the same dose. Do you ask the doc or the pharmacist about that? Are compounding pharmacies hard to find? If that's what it's called? I'm nervous about how he'll react. I guess all I can do is ask.

I'm hurting. For me its withdrawal but it's me too, I mean I've struggled w this stuff since I was little. I'm just trying to stay above water. I did used to be capable of more maybe. I do wonder if I'd never gone on meds where would I be?

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management