BellaLuna: Mirtazapine advice please.

BellaLuna

Hi, I was prescribed mirtazapine 15mg and took my first dose on Friday night.

Sadly I had a very adverse reaction and was hallucinating so was advised to discontinue immediately.

I have not taken another tablet and the doctor said it would be out of my system in a few days without anymore problems, it is now Tuesday and I keep getting a prickly, itchy feeling on random patches of my body, arms,legs, back and torso in particular.

I thought it was the tablet still in my system but it only started yesterday and seems to be getting worse, I know it sounds crazy but is it possible that I am experiencing withdrawals after just one 15mg tablet?

I am absolutely terrified here, please help.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Currently taking Diazepam 22mg per day.

• Moderator Emeritus

BellaLuna, hey.

Welcome to the site. So if I am to understand you correctly, you took one single dose of mirtazapine at 15mg and promptly discontinued after the hallucinations began? If that is the case, I don't think you are going to have any sort of long-term issue. The symptoms you note (prickly, itchy feelings) are interesting only in that mirtazapine is known to affect histamine receptors. And histamine issues of course can contribute to many of those symptoms. It could be that the dose of mirtazapine somehow temporarily sensitized you to normal histamine-related issues. This is speculation of course and again, this would be a short-lived phenomena if it were the case. Please don't be absolutely terrified. But I know it is scary.

Others will be along to welcome you soon.

In the meantime, it would be useful for you to fill out your signature for us, so that we might know what other drugs you are taking. You might also be having an interaction-related issue if you are poly-drugged as so many of us are.

Hang in there,

Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

Hi,

Yes that is correct, i took a single 15mg dose of Mirtazapine on Friday night, after it made me hallucinate which was within 90 minutes of taking it my husband contacted an emergency doctor who told me to cease use so i never took another dose.

Thank you so much for the information, it certainly would make a lot of sense that if it affects histamine receptors that could be related to the prickly,itching sensations that i have, i am trying so hard not to panic about it but of course as an anxiety sufferer it's really hard, i always imagine the worst and the whole experience has really shaken me up.

I am on Diazepam (will create a signature to reflect that) and because it was not as effective as it used to be i had decided to try something else, i had some negative experiences years ago with other types of anti-depressants so it took a lot of courage to take something new again, it's really scared me and set me about 10 steps backwards with my anxiety and agoraphobia, i'm trying to get over the experience but it's so hard at the moment, i will feel so much safer once i know it's out of my system and that i will hopefully have no issues from stopping it, it was only the one tablet so i keep telling myself i wont have been addicted from that.

Many thanks.

Currently taking Diazepam 22mg per day.

• Moderator Emeritus

People do have a reaction to a single dose of a medication or a brief exposure. I had a negative experience with Zoloft in 2001 (?) after only 3 or 4 doses.

People recover after a bad reaction. Unfortunately we can't predict how long that will take. Run from anyone who tells you with certainty about how long your recovery will be.

Please browse our Symptoms forum. Many, many symptoms have individual topics with discussions about what has helped and what hasn't.  Another good way to find information is to use a web search tool like google, just add the search term "survivingantidepressants.org" to your search and topics on this site will appear at the top of the results.

Because adverse (side) effects often show up as withdrawal symptoms, you may find this topic informative:
What is withdrawal syndrome

These topics may be also helpful:
Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)
How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 3 min 44 sec:

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet