SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

kidsmom

We are in Columbus, Ohio and my son's pediatrician doesn't have experience with these brain altering medicines and just seems to know dosages. we are going through a very rough time and have to make a decision about stopping Ami and go through horrible withdrawal symptoms (which he gets as we have tried reducing it just by 10 mg) So i need your advice whatever you can give, please. I don't want to go to another inexperienced doctor. 

Anyway let me tell you all the details and I am sorry its long one so that you have a whole scenario.

it started in a wrong way. The GI doctor couldn't figure out anything and then we had a new pediatrician who immediately diagnosed him with CVS. I wa impressed and did what she asked me to do as my son was third day into his cycle and his high school had started (freshman). She prescribed Ami 50 mg. By the time we got time to read more about it, which my husband and me always do with any new medicine, we already had given one dose to my son. We realized it was a heavy dose to start with but first time we didn't read about a medicine and probably made the biggest mistake. Anyway we still didn't read the white papers etc to know that dosage shouldn't be changed drastically. Next day my son was like a zombie and extremely irritable. So we reduced the dose into half. He was completely recovered from puke cycle the first day itself and after reducing the dose to half he was doing great in every way. We though we found a wonder drug. We confirmed with pediatrician about reducing dosage and she was happy we did! Our happiness lasted only 5 days. 6th day after passing stools (as the cycle always start) he started throwing up a bit and then lot of dry heaving with uncomfortable tummy. Those are his symptoms of CVS every cycle. So we thought its his cycle. It was a weekend so we waited until Monday and called the doctor. Like any other doctor who just know various emergency medicine names, she prescribed imitrex etc. Nothing was helping and by Friday we thought Ami at least is not working, lets stop it. Then I had an idea that 50mg worked,so lets try giving it. And it worked like a charm. Anyway after 2 days again, due to side effects, to make him go to school, we reduced the dose to 40 mg this time. Unfortunately the cycle started again in 5 days, weekend again. We tried giving 50 mg Ami that night and again it worked like a charm. But again we reduced to 40 mg on Monday, due to drowsiness and hadn't still realized that all the cycles since 2 weeks were withdrawal effects of reducing the dosage. This time on 2 days of 40 mg, my son started having urine retention and we reduced the dosage to 30 mg. Somehow while thinking about it that night I realized that previous 2 episodes must be withdrawal effects as I remembered reading people could not stop it. i woke up at night and started reading and was assured they were withdrawal effects. And as expected the next day while he was on 30 mg, the withdrawal effects started.

That was last Friday. We thought about it and decided to go 50 mg and stick to it. We read that side effects go away after some time. This time it took 3 days for him to recover from withdrawal effects after starting him back on 50 mg, we still thought its okay. But then 2 days later he started throwing up again and I started wondering what to do. The doctor kept telling us to go cold turkey or reduce drastically. But finally 4 more days later (continuing 50mg), we decided to reduce by 5 mg every week. 

He is throwing up every morning and canot go to school. He is better later in the evening. But every mornig its horrible.

Please help from your experience what do you think we should we do? Can we redcue 5 mg every week since he has had 50 mg for 7-8 days only on a regular basis? Please, please anyone experienced tell me whatever you think we should do.

• Administrator

Welcome, kidsmom.

I've moved your topic into the Introductions forum. You can ask questions and follow the answers in this topic.

How long in all has your son been taking amitriptyline in all? Could you please list the dates (even if approximate) and dosages of amitriptyline he's taken?

Is he taking any other drugs? If so, please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Here is our topic about tapering amitriptyline: Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Not being a pediatrician, I had to Google to find out what CVS is. Have you seen this:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cyclic-vomiting-syndrome/basics/causes/con-20028160

Also, please take a look at these topics:

Histamine food intolerance

Food sensitivities

Histamine intolerance is implicated in some migraine conditions. Intestinal distress and nausea can be symptoms, which can occur some time after eating certain foods. If, for example, your son eats a couple of hot dogs, he might get sick the next day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, kidsmom.

I've moved your topic into the Introductions forum. You can ask questions and follow the answers in this topic.

How long in all has your son been taking amitriptyline in all? Could you please list the dates (even if approximate) and dosages of amitriptyline he's taken?

Is he taking any other drugs? If so, please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Here is our topic about tapering amitriptyline: Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Not being a pediatrician, I had to Google to find out what CVS is. Have you seen this:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cyclic-vomiting-syndrome/basics/causes/con-20028160

Also, please take a look at these topics:

Histamine food intolerance

Food sensitivities

Histamine intolerance is implicated in some migraine conditions. Intestinal distress and nausea can be symptoms, which can occur some time after eating certain foods. If, for example, your son eats a couple of hot dogs, he might get sick the next day.

Hi Alto, First of all thank you so much for trying to help.

I am always reading about all these things since long but the only mistake I made was not to read about Ami before starting it, as we were desperate and never faced or heard from anyone about these antidepressants withdrawal. Still suffering because of that. And need all the help we can there. 

below is the days and dosage of ami. I was told by a CVS mom about histamine sensitivity recently and I am waiting for further clarification from her also. But she told me to start the supplement DAO which will turn the things around. She also told me some about histamine diet. As she mentioned Ami is making things worse for our kids as our kids have food intolerances.  So I ma wondering that if it is making things worse anywya can I taper faster for my son. He is on 45 mg for last 3 days. Can I move to 40 mg be on it for 5 days and then move on to 35 mg and stay on it for 7 days and then move on to 30 mg? 

Also will L-lysine or methionine or any other medicine or supplement help with the bad effects of Ami or its withdrawal effects?

Right now he doesn't feel good little bit in the morning. We give him Prevacid as he was asked ot be on it by all doctors and though it helped sometimes not always. We had stopped Prevacid in between but since last 1 1/22 week we are giving him daily. But he is not too bad until he eats breakfast then plays for 10-15 mins and then has a bowel movement when things just turn upside down for him literally. before passing stools he feels he can go to school and gets ready but after the movement he starts throwing up and starts feeling worst. sometimes it just dry heaving but to much heaving and sometimes its couple of vomiting (since last 2 days its more vomiting) and then dry heaving. He gets better slowly and by evening most days he is fine. But after giving him Ami at 6:45 PM within half an hour he doesn't feel good, little uneasy and queasy in stomach. 

Sorry for so much detail but I really need something to help him out.

His dosage so far;

Aug 19 - 50 mg (Zombie)

Aug 20 - 20mg (better no nausea at all)

Aug 21 - 20 mg (best ever)

Aug 22 - 20 mg (best ever)

Aug 23 -20 mg  (best ever)

Aug 24 - 20mg  (best ever)

Aug 25 - 20 mg  (best ever)

Aug 26 - Probably 15-18mg (cut the 50 mg little too much as he was doing great)

Aug 27 -  Didn't feel good, throwing up after bowel movements-  gave Compazine 5mg - no help. Continued Ami 20mg

Aug 28 -thru sep 2 Tried Zofran 4mg and Prevacid 15 mg and more Compazine nothing was helping. Kept giving Ami 20 mg

Sp2 - Finally tried Ami 50 mg -worked like a charm immediately started feeling better. no other medication

Sep 3 - Much better but drowsy and tired  - Ami 50 mg no other medication

Sep 4  - Still very drowsy whole day but no nausea so reduced Ami to 40 mg no other medication

Sep 5 - Sep 8 - Ami 40 mg no other medication

Sep 9- Didn't feel good, throwing up after bowel movements. Were surprised but decided to give Ami 50 mg as it helped earlier.

Sep 10 - Better but not completely. Little drowsy too whole day. Gave 50 mg Ami at night 

Sep 11- Better (not 100%) and drowsy. Prevacid in morning. since next day was school gave only 40 mg Ami at nigh

Sep 12 - Well . Gave Prevacid in morning. 40 mg Ami at night (always around 6:45 PM)

Sep 13 - Sep 15 - Well but seemed like Avi was getting too emotional and still drowsy in school. So reduced the dosage gave 30 mg Ami  at night

Sep 16 th  in the evening he was feeling horrible with acidity and nausea. Previous day i couldn't sleep at night and was reading and figured it was all because of dosage changes. so i was prepared. 

We started him on 50 mg of Ami since Sep 16 but this time it didn't help much until sep 19.

Sep 19 was much better and went to school.

sep 20th - severely constipated and after a try for stools, started throwing up. Since then everyday it happened like that. 

We kept giving 50mg Ami until Sep 25 as we were asking so many people. Doctor said as always to stop or make it 25 mg. that didn't sound right. Others said give it a try for few more days, so followed that. Geve Prevacid 15 mg everyday morning to see if it helps with his nausea and vomiting in the morning but didn't.

by sep 25 we were convinced whatever happens we have to stop this monster medicine. and so asked Pediatrician to prescribe 25 mg and 10 mg  and started giving 45 mg since then. have been giving Prevacid until today morning.

Tried Zofran also today before breakfast and seems like it helped little. He didn't throw up at least after trial of stools.

One v important thing. He is functionally constipated and we had to give him milk of magnesia for some 2-3 years when he was small. It was not helping much and since he started eating vegetables, we stopped giving any laxative. He was always little constipated until he was 13. Then started him on a herbal medicine which helped him pass stool everyday with a great clean feeling. But since one year on that herbal medicine and his vomiting in the morning started, last week we thought of stopping herbal and trying milk of magnesia instead with just 1 tsp. Also gave prunes and some oatmeal with 1/2 teaspoon molasses and it was helping him pass stools last whole week. Yesterday didn't give Milk of magnesia, wondering if it is causing vomiting in the morning and gave 1/2 more teaspoon of molasses alone at night (besides 1/2 with oatmeal). That didn't help with stools. So wondering should I go back to herbal or should I go back to milk of magnesia tonight.

Any help is appreciated. Mainly need to know how fast can we get rid of Ami and what will help him with his morning vomiting and nausea.

GI doctor in Columbus is always saying there is nothing wrong with him and it's all psychological . All the time consulting pediatrician but she, as i mentioned, doesn't know much about ami's withdrawal etc.  Have appointment at Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Radhakrishnan on Nov 4th. But can't go on like this until then.

Anyone?

Is it okay for my son to take DAO supplement as well as Natural Calm (magnesium Citrate) while tampering Amitriptyline as above?

And will l-Lysine or methionine help?

Please let me know

I wish I knew....

Have you tried a natural path?

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The only supplements that SA recommend for withdrawal are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil

If you try anything, do it one at a time and start at a low dose and increase slowly.

Information on sam-e-s-adenosyl-l-methionine and check out the side effects in the post above this one.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

If he starts having insomnia some here have had success with a small amount of melatonin. There is a thread here on it. It's only good though for falling asleep not early morning awakenings. Also too much can have an adverse effect. You could buy 1 mg pills and quarter them. I can only find as low as 2 mg pills so I cut them into 1/8ths. You take it at nightfall. I take it about an hour before I want to sleep. I only take it for 3 -5 days to reset my sleep so it doesn't wear off. Best to you and your son.

Medicine History

June 2011 I was put on 10 mg Olanzapine. I stayed on that for 7 months then went down to 5 mg for 3 months and then went down to 2.5mg and slowly went down to less than .3 every few days. I have tried to come off 4 times, each time getting down to less than .3 before having to go back on at 5mg or 2.5mg. I would cut by 50% each taper. From Jan 2015 to June 2015 I reduced from about 5mg to .3 mg. This last time I went on 2.5 mg last June 2015 until July 2, 2016. July 3, 2016 I went down to 1.25mg - withdrawal hit. Up dosed to liquid 2 mg July 23, 2016.

Medicine Current

2 mg Olanzapine as of July 23, 2016

Supplements

Omega 3 1000mg, Vitamin E 400 UI, Vitamin C 1000 mg Time Released, 200 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate, Multi Probiotic, .25 mg melatonin for 3-5 days as needed

Thank you Chessie!

Do you know anything about DAO...I already ordered it as my son seemed to be reacting to foods. Please tell me before I start my on on it.

I am glad to know Magnesium helps. i ordered Magnesium Citrate (nature Calm) yesterday, hope that is the right one? This one will help him with his constipation too.

How safe is Omega-3 fish oil and how will it benefit? i mean i read a lot about Omega-3, but how will it help my son with his nausea and vomiting? And how much is the dose? Adn are their signs that it is making it worse so I can stop?

Thank you all again for all the valuable information, specially eye opener thing about SAM-e and methionine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi kidsmom,

My post about magnesium and omega 3 was not in regard to your son's nausea and vomiting, just that they are the only 2 supplements that SA recommends trying for withdrawal.

Regarding the DAO, I have done an SA site search and only found it mentioned in the Histamine Food Intolerance topic which Alto linked above.

I have found this on the internet:  dao-what-you-need-to-know  - Dr. Janice Joneja is a researcher, educator, author, and clinical counsellor with over thirty years of experience in the area of biochemical and immunological reactions involved in food allergy and intolerances. Dr. Joneja holds a Ph.D. in medical microbiology and immunology and is a registered dietitian (RD).

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Natural Calm (NC) is a powder containing magnesium citrate, one of the better tolerated forms of magnesium. People with sensitive digestive systems do better with other formulations such as magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate. Magnesium supplementation itself or quickly increasing the amount can result in increased toilet trips, depending on your bowel tolerance.

The NC container provides a scoop and the directions list the amount of magnesium per scoop.  I think it's roughly 1 teaspoon = 200 mg. The powder is helpful because you have more control over the dose.

Regardless of the product you choose, it's best to start low and go slow. This applies to any supplement.

1. Start with a new supplement when your symptoms are stable (e.g. not immediately after a dose reduction)
  2. Start with ¼ or ½ the dose on the container.
  3. Observe your reaction over several days.
  4. If no reaction, increase the amount slightly, e.g. go from ¼ to ½, ½ to ¾.
  5. Repeat # 3 & # 4 until you reach the suggested amount.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet