Fuerza: has anyone experienced DR/DP caused by Effexor?

fuerza

Hey all! This is my first post here and I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been feeling desperate for months.

My question is about drug-induced derealization. I took the combo of Effexor + Valdoxan and only felt good for a month while being on them. In hindsight I almost seemed manic. Then, suddenly, I got very strong derealization that lasted for weeks. It lifted a bit for a few feeks and then came about again when I had a drink one night. 

I have now tapered off Effexor, I took my last pill about three weeks ago. Three days ago I also started tapering off Valdoxan. I take Oxazepam to cope with the symptoms.

I feel like I broke my brain for good. The only other time I've felt derealization was when I ate a hash brownie and clearly it was too much for me. I used to be a caring and fun person before going on the antidepressants. Right now I feel like I'm just completely empty inside. I do and feel things because I know I have to, but I seriously don't care about anything at all. When I do feel emotion, it's mostly fear or worry.

Has anyone else expierienced drug-induced DR? Did it go away when you started to withdraw from the drug? How do you cope with this?

History:

Escitalopram 10mg Nov - Jan 2016 (switched to Effexor XR)

Effexor XR 37,5mg Jan - Feb 2016; 75mg Feb - April 2016; 37,5mg for one week in April, 75mg April-July 2016 (started tapering, took my last beads on Sept 11.)

The fluctuations happened because my GP mistakingly prescribed me the wrong dosage.

Oxazepam 2x10mg Dec 2015 - Jan 2016 (basically CT but no apparent symptoms); June 2016 - Feb 2017 (c/o to Valium)

Current:

Valdoxan 25mg Dec 2015 - Sept 2016. 12.4mg (Sept - Nov '16) -> 11.86mg (Nov '16) -> 10.75mg (Dec '16) -> 9.75mg (Jan '17) -> 8mg (March '17) -> 7mg (April '17) -> 4.5mg (May '17) -> 4mg (Jan '18) -> updosed to 4.5mg in the end of January

Valium (liquid form) 8.5mg Feb 2017. 7.6mg (June '17) -> 7.2mg (June '17) -> 6.8mg (July '17) -> 6.4 (Sept '17) -> 6.2 (March '18) -> 6 (April 7 '18) -> 5.8 (April 17 '18) -> 5.6 (April 26 '18) -> 5.4 (July 16 '18) -> 5.2 (March '20) -> 5 (March '20)

What to take away from all this: if you feel extremely sick only after a few doses of an AD, please tell your doctor and just stop. Adding medications is no bueno.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuerza

• ChessieCat

• Altostrata

• NaturalBorn

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi fuerza and welcome to SA,

Thank you for completing your drug signature.  So that we are better able to answer your questions and offer suggestions, could you please provide details of how you tapered your Effexor.  Also, how are you tapering Valdoxan?

Drugs can cause side effects and going off the drugs too quickly can cause withdrawal symptoms.  SA recommends a harm reduction method of tapering 10% or less of the previous dose with a holding period of 3-4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

glenmullen_symptoms_AS Appendix 1.pdf

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

What is Happening in Your Brain

Have a read of the above and you can ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hey all! This is my first post here and I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been feeling desperate for months.

My question is about drug-induced derealization. I took the combo of Effexor + Valdoxan and only felt good for a month while being on them. In hindsight I almost seemed manic. Then, suddenly, I got very strong derealization that lasted for weeks. It lifted a bit for a few feeks and then came about again when I had a drink one night. 

I have now tapered off Effexor, I took my last pill about three weeks ago. Three days ago I also started tapering off Valdoxan. I take Oxazepam to cope with the symptoms.

I feel like I broke my brain for good. The only other time I've felt derealization was when I ate a hash brownie and clearly it was too much for me. I used to be a caring and fun person before going on the antidepressants. Right now I feel like I'm just completely empty inside. I do and feel things because I know I have to, but I seriously don't care about anything at all. When I do feel emotion, it's mostly fear or worry.

Has anyone else expierienced drug-induced DR? Did it go away when you started to withdraw from the drug? How do you cope with this?

i expirienced severe depersonalization, during my effexor withdrawal, but while i was on it i was fine, it went away like during the first month, i don't remember having it now for a while... i also don't carry about anything anymore, i also relate to what you're saying about emotions, i feel like nothing matters anymore, and i only feel BAD emotions, like fear, despair, agony, anxiety, stress, constant and repetitive thinking, yeah man.... i feel your pain

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in march of 2016 was at 300mg again

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

in september tried reducing trazadone to 50mg

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

currently taking 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel at night

Hi fuerza and welcome to SA,

Thank you for completing your drug signature.  So that we are better able to answer your questions and offer suggestions, could you please provide details of how you tapered your Effexor.  Also, how are you tapering Valdoxan?

I tapered off Effexor quite hectically. I started by reducing the dosage by 10% of the original dosage each week. Then some weeks I reduced the dosage by 5% and on some by more. I chose the faster lane because I was afraid Effexor was causing the derealization and wanted to get off it as fast as possible.

I'm tapering off Valdoxan 25mg by just cutting the pill in half now and then quitting in maybe in two weeks time. I've read that Valdoxan isn't supposed to have any withdrawal symptoms, yet I feel like a total wreck. No severe physical symptoms that Effexor had, but my anxiety is through the roof and I can't sleep anymore.

History:

Effexor XR 37,5mg Jan - Feb 2016; 75mg Feb - April 2016; 37,5mg for one week in April, 75mg April-July 2016 (started tapering, took my last beads on Sept 11.)

The fluctuations happened because my GP mistakingly prescribed me the wrong dosage.

Oxazepam 2x10mg Dec 2015 - Jan 2016 (basically CT but no apparent symptoms); June 2016 - Feb 2017 (c/o to Valium)

Current:

Valdoxan 25mg Dec 2015 - Sept 2016. 12.4mg (Sept - Nov '16) -> 11.86mg (Nov '16) -> 10.75mg (Dec '16) -> 9.75mg (Jan '17) -> 8mg (March '17) -> 7mg (April '17) -> 4.5mg (May '17) -> 4mg (Jan '18) -> updosed to 4.5mg in the end of January

Valium (liquid form) 8.5mg Feb 2017. 7.6mg (June '17) -> 7.2mg (June '17) -> 6.8mg (July '17) -> 6.4 (Sept '17) -> 6.2 (March '18) -> 6 (April 7 '18) -> 5.8 (April 17 '18) -> 5.6 (April 26 '18) -> 5.4 (July 16 '18) -> 5.2 (March '20) -> 5 (March '20)

What to take away from all this: if you feel extremely sick only after a few doses of an AD, please tell your doctor and just stop. Adding medications is no bueno.

i expirienced severe depersonalization, during my effexor withdrawal, but while i was on it i was fine, it went away like during the first month, i don't remember having it now for a while... i also don't carry about anything anymore, i also relate to what you're saying about emotions, i feel like nothing matters anymore, and i only feel BAD emotions, like fear, despair, agony, anxiety, stress, constant and repetitive thinking, yeah man.... i feel your pain

Thanks for the reply! Did you ever feel like this before taking the drug? Also, going from 37,5mg to 300mg sounds pretty severe. I got crazy side effects at 75mg, I can't even imagine 300mg.

History:

Current:

Thanks for the reply! Did you ever feel like this before taking the drug? Also, going from 37,5mg to 300mg sounds pretty severe. I got crazy side effects at 75mg, I can't even imagine 300mg.

no, before taking this drug the only thing i felt was depression, maybe quita a severe depression, but nothing else really.... after cold turkey oh boy.... i thought i knew what suffering was about

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

no, before taking this drug the only thing i felt was depression, maybe quita a severe depression, but nothing else really.... after cold turkey oh boy.... i thought i knew what suffering was about

I'm so sorry you have to feel like this. The doctors prescribing these drugs left and right really have no idea what kind of suffering they are putting people through. I hope you start feeling better soon! One thing I found a bit helpful is Silexan. It's a formula of lavender and lemon balm and it helps me sleep. 

History:

Current:

I feel like this hell is never going to end. Every morning is getting worse and worse. I wake up with my heart pounding and feeling very intense fear. I feel like no one has the power to help me. I don't even care about anyone anymore. Looking at myself in the mirror seems to trigger more anxiety as I feel I'm looking at a stranger.

History:

Current:

• Moderator Emeritus

Please do not panic.  Many members panic when withdrawal symptoms hit very badly and then they take too high a dose of the drug or go on a different drug.

You might want to consider reinstating a small dose of Effexor.  If you do decide to reinstate, I suggest you post here that you want to do that and we can suggest a dose for you to try.  It's now been 3.5 weeks since you took Effexor.  When did you start tapering Effexor.  What was the last dose you were taking?  This information will help with deciding on the size of the dose to reinstate.

Here is the information for you to read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hey! Thanks for the encouraging words!

I started my taper in the middle of July 2016 and took my last dose of Effexor on September 11. I'm very wary of reinstating because Effexor gave me severe derealization. Right now my symptoms are very similar to the ones that I experienced when going on the drug. Very restless, yet afraid to go anywhere. Waking up with panic. No appetite at all. Problems with muscles: almost like muscle cramps, but without the pain. Derealisation and feeling like I want to crawl out of my skin.

Also, I foolishly started tapering off Valdoxan because I thought it didn't have any side effects. I desperately want to get off the drugs because prior to taking them I could handle my life quite well and was generally a happy person.

History:

Current:

• Moderator Emeritus

That was a super fast taper.  What you are suffering is most probably withdrawal symptoms from having stopped the Effexor too quickly.  Your brain was used to getting Effexor and now all of a sudden it's not getting any.  A very small dose may be enough to bring the withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level without causing the side effects that you were getting.  Please read the reinstatement topic so that you have the information.  Reinstatements work best if done at the first sign of withdrawal symptoms.

QUESTION:  What was the last dose you were taking?

That was a super fast taper.  What you are suffering is most probably withdrawal symptoms from having stopped the Effexor too quickly.  Your brain was used to getting Effexor and now all of a sudden it's not getting any.  A very small dose may be enough to bring the withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level without causing the side effects that you were getting.  Please read the reinstatement topic so that you have the information.  Reinstatements work best if done at the first sign of withdrawal symptoms.

QUESTION:  What was the last dose you were taking?

I'll read the topic when I get back home. The last dose I took was 5 beads out of a capsule of 240. The capsule was 75mg, so the dose was about 1,5mg.

History:

Current:

• Moderator Emeritus

I can understand your reluctance to reinstate.  Many members feel the same way.  You could try 1, 2 or 3 beads.

It takes 4 days for the drug to get to steady state in the blood and a few more for it to register in the brain.

If you do reinstate, keep daily notes of your symptoms on paper, what improves, what stays the same and what worsens.  This will give us an idea of whether reinstatement is working.  If your symptoms improve a little bit but were still bad, after about a week or 10 days you could then increase by taking an additional bead.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

I'll think about reinstating. I think I found a partial cause for the crazy anxiety this morning. I ate licorice candy last night. Pretty ironic, as I actually hate licorice and just picked what I thought was the healthiest option. I have noticed that my anxiety is a lot worse when I wake up, I speculate there may be a cortisol overload. And as I found out today, licorice increases cortisol.

History:

Current:

I feel like this hell is never going to end. Every morning is getting worse and worse. I wake up with my heart pounding and feeling very intense fear. I feel like no one has the power to help me. I don't even care about anyone anymore. Looking at myself in the mirror seems to trigger more anxiety as I feel I'm looking at a stranger.

i'm sorry for you too, just keep in mind that everything is temporary, yeah this is coming from a really pessimist dude who dreams about dying everyday, but in the end I KNOW this will pass... just know you are not alone in this... this is the most extreme expirience someone could go throught in their life... but try looking at this way once it's over everything should be a piece of cake... keep putting time behind you and try making yourself busy i just know this will pass... nothing lasts forever

went up to 300mgs

First night terrors today. Managed to get back to sleep, but this is starting to look a lot like the time I went on these drugs. I was completely haywire for like 3 weeks. After that I very slowly began to feel better. Only thing I can remember is the shaking and not being able to sleep and my mother taking me to a psychiatric clinic one morning.

My positive side tells me that I've come full circle, but the pessimistic side is telling me that I've only begun my real torture.

History:

Current:

Hi Fuerza,

I'm sorry to hear you are having night terrors. I don't know if you have read this thread but I found it very helpful for night terrors and early morning waking with fear/terror/anxiety surges.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/?hl=%2Bwaking+%2Bpanic

I have used some of the suggestions and have found them helpful. 

I've also found a lot on this thread, which contains a lot of threads, very helpful

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

I do find though that when the emotions are extreme that a lot of the coping skills don't work as well. As they always say, your milage may vary. For some people these coping skills have worked wonders. Maybe you will be one of them.

Hope you are having a better day,

Sending hugs and healing your way.

I hope that you are feeling better.

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

Hi Fuerza,

I'm sorry to hear you are having night terrors. I don't know if you have read this thread but I found it very helpful for night terrors and early morning waking with fear/terror/anxiety surges.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/?hl=%2Bwaking+%2Bpanic

I have used some of the suggestions and have found them helpful. 

I've also found a lot on this thread, which contains a lot of threads, very helpful

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

I do find though that when the emotions are extreme that a lot of the coping skills don't work as well. As they always say, your milage may vary. For some people these coping skills have worked wonders. Maybe you will be one of them.

Hope you are having a better day,

Sending hugs and healing your way.

I hope that you are feeling better.

Hey! I've gone through these threads and actually found some of the information very helpful. I've been a bit better in the night terror apartment in the last few days. *knock on wood* I'm trying to learn how to calm myself down. I think the ability to take control of my own situation is the most encouraging thing I could do right now. Of course, there are days where nothing really works, that's just how it is. I try to embrace the days when I feel a bit better and listen to music. Yesterday I listened to an artist who always manages to make me cry and I shed a few tears. It felt good. :)

History:

Current:

hello fellow estonian :)

I find your tapering of effexor EXTREMELY fast. you tapered down from AD in 2 months. it has taken me 3,5 years and probably 1 more year to taper down from my AD without driving myself crazy and ending up in withdrawal syndrome. I would strongly advise you to consider reinstatement, because the worst withdrawal problems may come with the time lag of several months. and after reinstatement I would hold still at least 3 months, maybe half a year.. depending on how your symptoms are.

but probably moderators have more exact advice for you. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Tere! I'm afraid on reinstating because Venlafaxine XR gave me derealisation and actually made my condition so much worse. So far I've felt a very gradual relief from the symptoms.

History:

Current:

in my opinion, i wouldn't reinstate ir i were you. especially if you can see some progress...

went up to 300mgs

I would also not reinstate if i where you.. I did it and regret it.

2008 -2013 Most of the time on 75 mg venlafaxine and 0,25 mg Klonopin, 2013 august-oct - weaning off venlafaxine
2013 december- severe panick attacks, difficulties with breathing and swallowing, brain zaps, derealisation ect.
back to 75 mg venlafaxine
2014 dec - 60 mg venlafaxine, 2015 jan - 55 mg
2015 feb - hospitalisation,extreme WD, switched to 10mg Prozac, weaning off Klonopin
2015 march - added inositol, niacin, fish oil
2015 april - free from klonopin, only on 10mg Prozac, may - oct 10mg - 6 mg prozac

2015 oct - WD, anxiety, panic attacks - back to 7 mg, Nov- back to 8 mg - added 1/4 of 1,5 mg bromazepam x 2 per day

2015. dec - adverse reaction to prozac, had to CT, only on 1mg klonopin - low grade fever, vertigo, painful urinating

2016. jan - back on venlafaxine 37,5 mg and 1 mg klonopin - , also taking vit c, Q 10, fish oil, magnesium oil, seabuckthorn oil, zinc gluconate, tumeric, april 2016 - back on 75 mg venlafaxine, oct 2016 18 mg venlafaxine 0,5 - 1 mg klonopin,Jan 9 - hospitalized due to severe depression January 12- discontinued venlafaxine, switched from 1 mg clonazepam to 7.5 mg diazepam 2 times a day, 15th January started 75 mg pregabalin, 19th jan - 5 mg diazepam in the morning 7.5 in the evening + 75 mg pegabalin, Jan 27 - 52,5 pregabalin - 6 mg venlafaxine - 5 mg diazepam morning - 10 mg diazepam evening

Tere! I'm afraid on reinstating because Venlafaxine XR gave me derealisation and actually made my condition so much worse. So far I've felt a very gradual relief from the symptoms.

in my case, I have got withdrawal syndrome always with a delay and the worst has come around 4-5months. and it has been far worse than any side effects I can imagine. that's why I'm worried about you. people usually imagine withdrawal symptoms are something that come immediately and they don't take into account the possibility of such lag time. 

during last couple of years I have also been in a situation where side effects were intolerable, but I didn't dare to withdraw quickly because I know how bad this delayed withdrawal syndrome can get. carefully and slowly withdrawing, I have managed to avoid such crashing and I've gradually regained my health and side effects have decreaed as I've reached smaller doses.

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

in my case, I have got withdrawal syndrome always with a delay and the worst has come around 4-5months. and it has been far worse than any side effects I can imagine. that's why I'm worried about you. people usually imagine withdrawal symptoms are something that come immediately and they don't take into account the possibility of such lag time. 

during last couple of years I have also been in a situation where side effects were intolerable, but I didn't dare to withdraw quickly because I know how bad this delayed withdrawal syndrome can get. carefully and slowly withdrawing, I have managed to avoid such crashing and I've gradually regained my health and side effects have decreaed as I've reached smaller doses.

What were your immediate withdeawal symptoms and which ones came later?

History:

Current:

Once when I withdraw from venlafaxine I got 3 months later the following symptoms: breathing difficulties, depression, derealization, nightmares, brain zaps, anxiety, panic attacks.. BUT then again I got the same things now when I was ON venlafaxine and couldn't tolerate it anymore. And as you told me you actually got very sick while you were on venlafaxine.

2008 -2013 Most of the time on 75 mg venlafaxine and 0,25 mg Klonopin, 2013 august-oct - weaning off venlafaxine
2013 december- severe panick attacks, difficulties with breathing and swallowing, brain zaps, derealisation ect.
back to 75 mg venlafaxine
2014 dec - 60 mg venlafaxine, 2015 jan - 55 mg
2015 feb - hospitalisation,extreme WD, switched to 10mg Prozac, weaning off Klonopin
2015 march - added inositol, niacin, fish oil
2015 april - free from klonopin, only on 10mg Prozac, may - oct 10mg - 6 mg prozac

2015 oct - WD, anxiety, panic attacks - back to 7 mg, Nov- back to 8 mg - added 1/4 of 1,5 mg bromazepam x 2 per day

2015. dec - adverse reaction to prozac, had to CT, only on 1mg klonopin - low grade fever, vertigo, painful urinating

2016. jan - back on venlafaxine 37,5 mg and 1 mg klonopin - , also taking vit c, Q 10, fish oil, magnesium oil, seabuckthorn oil, zinc gluconate, tumeric, april 2016 - back on 75 mg venlafaxine, oct 2016 18 mg venlafaxine 0,5 - 1 mg klonopin,Jan 9 - hospitalized due to severe depression January 12- discontinued venlafaxine, switched from 1 mg clonazepam to 7.5 mg diazepam 2 times a day, 15th January started 75 mg pregabalin, 19th jan - 5 mg diazepam in the morning 7.5 in the evening + 75 mg pegabalin, Jan 27 - 52,5 pregabalin - 6 mg venlafaxine - 5 mg diazepam morning - 10 mg diazepam evening

I'm quite worried about other tapers too. I'm currently on Valdoxan and Oxazepam. I want to very slowly start tapering Valdoxan because I'm afraid I might get seriously hooked on Oxazepam which I plan to taper last. I started by cutting the Valdoxan in half in September and I the effects weren't half as bad as with Effexor. Now I plan to continue my taper with the 10% principle.

Also, it seems that my symptoms get waaayyyyy worse before my period starts and during ovulation. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that I took Yasminelle birth control last year for one month. I stopped because my hair started falling out, but after that I noticed that I feel 10x worse before my period.

History:

Current:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hormones and periods do affect how we feel during w/d.  There's good discussion you can join in with here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8142-pms-and-menstrual-cycle-issues-during-withdrawal/  Birth control can also have an effect:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2011-hormone-pills-birth-control-causing-relapse/

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hormones and periods do affect how we feel during w/d.  There's good discussion you can join in with here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8142-pms-and-menstrual-cycle-issues-during-withdrawal/  Birth control can also have an effect:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2011-hormone-pills-birth-control-causing-relapse/

I've read through the threads and have heard plenty of experiences from friends to know that I should never go on birth control willy-nilly. Also, my mother told me that she had a really bad reaction to hormonal IUD, so I think it's best for me to steer clear of anything that might mess up my hormonal balance. Even my psychiatrist said that he wouldn't recommend hormonal contraceptives to anyone because he's seen so many patients who've acquired serious mental side effects from taking them.

History:

Current:

Also, I decided to hold my Valdoxan dose for a while. I should already know from my previous experience that whenever I get a bad wave, I start going crazy with the tapers and regret it afterwards. No need to make the same mistake again.

Also, I'm not going to reinstate Effexor either, that drug messed me up bad even when I was on a stable dose. My psychiatrist also said that SSRIs and SNRIs are obviously a big no-no for me because I experienced very extreme side effects (both mental and physical) when I went on the lowest dosage. He also told me something about a gene that controls the metabolisation of psychiatric drugs. Basically, the gene allows some people to metabolise the ADs better, which means that one person's 37,5mg could be another person's 150mg.

History:

Current:

Waiting for a window so badly. I've slowly been starting to lose sleep. I still get 7-8 hours (which I'm very thankful for), but I wake up with terror many times during the night and also have nightmares about losing my mind. I also get waves of derealisation completely out of nowhere and feel like I've gone insane every time. I know there's no use in dwelling on these feelings, but controlling them and not giving into them feels like I'm walking on the edge of a cliff. If I slip even once, I'm gonna fall into a deep dark pit.

History:

Current:

I did a very fast Effexor taper and took my last beads in September. I've had WD symptoms the whole time, but in the past week I've felt my symptoms slowly worsening and I feel very similar to what I felt like when I was put on the drugs.

I started taking Escitalopram last November and experienced extreme side effects, such as increased anxiety and panic attacks, shaking, akathisia, insomnia and paranoia. I was switched to Effexor about a month later. Still experienced panic attacks, slowly got better, then had a good month (in hindsight that actually might have been hypomania) and then went straight into derealisation hell. 

When I started taking the meds my doctor told me that this is normal and people usually feel their symptoms worsening during the first few weeks. Now I read the thread about immediate bad reactions to AD medication and how people still recover from taking the antidepressants for a week or a few days. I've seriously lost all hope. 

I don't mean to moan and whine, but has anyone else experienced severe reactions when they first went on the drugs? How has your recovery been?

History:

Current:

Hi Fuerza!

I think it is possible that you had serotonin syndrome(serotonin toxicity). There are different levels of serotonin toxicity.

I found this, I didn't read through hole text but maybe this would give you some hope: 

This is from another thread http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1152-fibromyalgia-caused-by-serotonin-syndrome/ : "Outcomes: The patient was referred to a neurologist, who diagnosed serotonin syndrome related to the use of citalopram. The patient was weaned off citalopram and made a successful recovery, with scores on the Oswestry Disability Index decreasing from 70% to 28% at discharge from the physical therapy treatment and to 0% at the 6-month follow-up. The patient has since returned to her prior activity level, which includes skiing, motorcycle riding, and working at her consulting firm. "

Take care!

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

I'm also wondering about benzos. I've always been on the same dosage of Oxazepam, but right now I feel it's not working anymore. I will try to pull through with my current dosage. However, in the past I've experienced periods when I was completely non-functional. Could not sleep, could not stay still, could not eat. If the symptoms do get completely unbearable, I will probably try to up the benzos a little bit. Is it wiser to stay with the current benzo and just up the dosage or to switch benzos? Right now I'm taking 10mg in the morning, 5mg at about 5PM and 5mg before bedtime.

History:

Current:

Thank you for the reply! I still don't quite understand the difference between full-blown serotonin syndrome and the so-called side effects of first starting the medication. I must say, prior to starting them I was already in a very agitated state of mind. I had already had experienced my first panic attacks. I had serious problems with my health (which triggered the panic attacks) and was also very worried about keeping my job.

History:

Current:

• Moderator Emeritus

Fuerza, it is unlikely that you experienced serotonin syndrome. Lexapro is a highly-activating SSRI and for some people it can aggravate anxiety and panic. Serotonin syndrome symptoms tend to be (but aren't limited to) those of your body trying to rid itself of an unwanted interloper -- raised body temperature, tremor/shaking/seizure, agitation, diarrhea.

The best way to discern the difference between withdrawal symptoms and side effects is to log the timing of your symptoms and your doses.

I had suicidal ideation start and intensify rapidly when I took Zoloft in 2001/2 (?), which I stopped after a few days and switched to Effexor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 weeks later...

I had a terrible reaction to lexapro too. Felt very anxious and like I was loseing my.mind and ended up gettin hooked on xanax. I am doing okay 14 months out. Some windows more waves but better than when I was on the crap. Hope you catch a break soon.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16