Han85: sour taste problem

han85

hi,

i have a problem that i need help with but first let me tell you about my general situation.

9 years ago I had panic attacks and hypochondria. Doctor put me on seroxat 20 mg daily and I kept taking it for 8 years. on jun 2015 I was feeling very good and worry free so I decided to taper the medicine till I fully stop it. I tapered it for about 6 months and on January 2016 I stopped it completely.

First 4 months from January to April I felt nothing much .. Only the brain zaps for few days and then it was gone and I thought that I was successful in coming off the med. By end of April beginning of May started to develop little anxiety again and had a mild panic attack and then things started to develop gradually. I think that I got every withdrawal symptom the medicine can cause. Headaches, hot flashes, cold flashes, burning skin, itching, memory and concentration issues, insomnia and vivid dreams plus of course panic attacks and health anxiety to the roof.

At this point I went to see my doctor and told her about this. She wasn't convinced its withdrawal but it is my anxiety came back after stopping the medicine so she prescribed it again for me and said it is ok to take medicine for life as long as they're making us feel good. I bought the seroxat but I didn't use it. After the meeting with doctor and getting assurance that its all anxiety and not something else, I was relaxed for few days and many symptoms were gone. only some memory-concentration problems and troubled sleeping or insomnia are still there.

10 days ago I developed a new symptom which is scaring me a lot and my anxiety went again to the roof. I developed a weird sour/acid taste in my mouth/the tip of my tongue for no reason. Some times it turns to salty or even spicy, sometimes it become less and less and sometime its increased.

I am scared, I have an appointment with the doctor after 4 days but currently my anxiety is to the max.

did any one had this??

Edited by scallywag
Added white space (ChessieCat); tags added (scallywag)

2008 - 2015 seroxat 20 mg daily

Jun 2015 - Dec 2015 tapering

Jan 2016 - stopped completely

April 2016 - today suffering withdrawal symptoms both physical and psychological

• Moderator Emeritus

Han85 -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Unusual tastes and smells are a withdrawal symptom. You'll find them listed in Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list
There's more information about withdrawal syndrome and its symptoms here:
What is withdrawal syndrome

To find information about symptoms on this site, you can

1. Browse the Symptoms forum here at SA Link to Symptoms forum

2. Use the site search function at the top right of each page

3. Use google, including "site:survivingantidepressants.org" as a search term

Withdrawal symptoms come and go as we recover. You can read more about that here:
The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for responding .. It does say that abnormal tastes are withdrawal symptoms .. I hope this is my case. I know that withdrawal is hard, but for a person with hypochondria its a nightmare. Thanks again

April 2016 - today suffering withdrawal symptoms both physical and psychological

Welcome Han

I was similar to you in being on seroxat for about 8 yrs and a similar taper time and symptoms.

Know that it will get better in time but you will have to be patient it may take many months. In the meantime stay safe ...keep away from the doctors imo.

Your doctor has already shown his cards in saying this is not wdl i couldnt disagree more. As such im not too sure what you can get from engaging these people again except ridiculous labels and more drugs. Whats the bet you will be offered a benzo (i'll guess lorazapam)and a different ad. (i'll guess zoloft).

Anyway do let us know how it goes.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you have a read of this before seeing your doctor:  What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

If you are offered any drugs when you see the doctor, please post the information here before you take anything so we can give you an opinion.

And if you are thinking that the doctors know best because they have the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) check these out:

Dr James Davies:  The Origins of the DSM (35 minutes)

The DSM:  Psychiatry's Deadliest Scam (1 hour 20 minutes)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hey Han

I quit Sertraline and Olanzapine in 2014.  I had brain zaps for a few weeks and also nausea for almost a week after I stopped the meds in February 2014.  Afterwards I suffered from insomnia and fatigue and memory and concentration problems.  2+ years later I still suffer from these problems.    I also have been having horrible nightmares in withdrawal.  Like you say, they are very vivid and the imagery is often grotesque and violent.  I think it may be from depression caused by never being able to sleep well.   

I also noticed that when I was on the drugs I used to wake up with the most bitter taste on the tip of my tongue.  It was horrible and my tongue would burn for many minutes like  I had dipped it in acid. 

PoetJester (Derek)

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Hello everyone and thank you all for responding .. Actually almost all the withdrawal symptoms I suffered from during the past couple of months seemed to get less and less in 2 weeks .. Now its been 2 weeks since I got this sour/acid taste and although sometimes it is reduced but its coming back again. Being a hypochondriac I am living in a nightmare now and all I am thinking of is horrible possibilities like cancers and scary stuff .. I will go on Monday to check this and am praying for it to be withdrawal or anxiety and nothing more. If so I'll try to go and see a psychiatrist and try a cognitive behavioral therapy. I will try to avoid meds as much as I can. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again

Hi everybody .. Today I saw my doctor and she said that my sour/acid taste is because of anxiety and she insisted again that I take seroxat 20 mg again .. I told her please check me if am having some cancer like I think but she refused and said that she can't miss such a thing. Am feeling awful and and am scared that she missed something (typicall hypochondria patient I know) so now am considering going back to the medicin. What do you think?? Am really in a bad situation and it is starting to affect my life. Am also in a very bad stage of my life now and it is so stressful. Can i get back now and try to quit in better circumstances?? Please recommend me something

• Moderator Emeritus

Your last dose was in January.  Rather than taking the 20 mg your doctor is advising, you could try a reinstatement of a smaller amount, 0,5 mg or 1,0 mg.  To do that you'd either need to make a liquid, or to crush the tablet and use a scale to weight the powder:

Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules
Using a digital scale to measure doses

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Han

You have done so well so far to remain drug free. You are 10 months drug free. Thats fantastic.

Please consider hanging in there ...many report improvements in yr s 1-2 and more so in 2-3. Just find ways to try to keep yourself distracted from the wdl.

Wdl has not so bad days and bad days. After a bad patch comes a not so bad patch. Slowly over time it will get better.  Please dont give up.

Try to avoid any kind of stressors whether they be people or situations even the smallest of triggers are to be avoided as it will set off wdl symptoms but it will settle down.

You can do it.

Personally id fight to stay drug free (are you saying the only reason for ri is 'my sour/acid taste', that imo is not a reason to ri, ocd regarding health issues and everything in general is imo a wdl symptom ) but if you cant take the wdl  anymore and  you feel you cant continue then id follow SWs advise with that small ri but definitely do not take 20 again.

Your doctor is misinformed i would consider changing doctors.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Regarding reinstatement or in my case it was updosing:

What I found helpful when I had to make this decision was to ask myself:  Is this symptom bearable?  Can I live with this symptom?

On a couple of occasions my answer was No so I updosed a very small amount.  On the other couple of occasions I felt that I could live with the symptom and managed to do so.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 5 months later...

Regarding reinstatement or in my case it was updosing:

What I found helpful when I had to make this decision was to ask myself:  Is this symptom bearable?  Can I live with this symptom?

On a couple of occasions my answer was No so I updosed a very small amount.  On the other couple of occasions I felt that I could live with the symptom and managed to do so.

Chessie,

I googled sour taste in mouth that lead me to this thread. It's a gooey, horrible sour taste.

I like your rationale in making your decisions.

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

I started the meds again on October and the taste gradually decreased .. What's left now is a little salty taste that comes every now and then which I can barely notice. I just wanted to update you guys about it and thank all of you. I don't know when is my next try to leave the meds but I think it should be well planned.

I started the meds again on October and the taste gradually decreased .. What's left now is a little salty taste that comes every now and then which I can barely notice. I just wanted to update you guys about it and thank all of you. I don't know when is my next try to leave the meds but I think it should be well planned.

Good to hear that you got relief!

I'm wanting to updose to hopefully get relief from this maddening symptom and others, not to mention the debilitating anxiety/depression.

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.