ZachsDad: Lexapro taper in 2017

ZachsDad

Hello, I am very confused.

I want to start a Lexapro taper in Feb. The reason I am waiting till then is I need to mentally prepare myself. I read the horror stories on other sites - scary. I also just stopped smoking marijuana and want to clear from that for 3 to 4 months.

I will be doing the liquid 10% taper with syringe but I am totally confused about the reductions. Is There a tapering schedule for each month, as I have a math phobia ( one of my issues) and I can't figure the mg split. yes 10 % from 10 mg is 9 mg, but then it gets tricky for me. Like 10 % of 9 mg is 900 mil. How do I measure that

Would love some help on point in site direction????

I also ordered Mood Cure for suggestions

Can you tell us how long you have been on Lexapro and what dose?

Update 8122017

Zoloft  2004. Effexor 2004-2006. Paxil 20 mg for 2006-2010. Ct 2010, bad effects back on, stable by 2011.  Poopout June 2015. Zoloft with paxil for a while, stopped Zoloft.

Sep 2016 paxil 16.2 mg alone(295 mg pill weight). Started tapering 11/14/2016.

Took off 1 mg pill weight(total pill weight of 20 mg = 365 mg and 16 mg is 295 mg). Went down 1 mg per week of pill weight so down to 291 mg by end of November. Starting getting anxiety issues starting since 12/10/2016. Hoping that a faster taper will help.

12/14/2016 - 15.95 mg (291 mg pill weight)

12/16/2016 -  15.83 mg (289 mg pill weight)

12/23/2016 -  15.67 (286 mg pill weight)

8/12/2017 -  15.34 (280 mg pill weight)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ZachsDad and welcome to SA,

It's really good that you have found this site now and are able to prepare for a taper doing the research and gaining the knowledge you need.

It will be helpful if you would Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years.  Pleae remember to update whenever you make a change so it remains current and can be seen at a glance.  Thank you.

Please check out the following links and then ask any questions you may have.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations of a 10% taper of the previous dose with a holding period of 3-4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug:

Brain Remodelling aka Rhi's Description of Brain Healing

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

These may also provide some helpful tips:

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

This is you own Intro/Update topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

It's understandable to be a bit overwhelmed when you first become a member here.  There is so much information to get your head around and wanting to do it "right".

You are on the right track finding this site before you started (many members, including myself, ended up here after getting into problems with fast tapering or cold turkey), and hopefully, once you get started, tapering will fade into the background and won't impact your life too much and you will be able to get off the drug with as little discomfort as possible.  The harm reduction method doesn't mean you will be totally symptom free but it will hopefully keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum and bearable.  Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization.  The main thing is to be patient, listen to your body and throw out the calendar.  It is better to go slowly than to go too quickly, get into trouble because of the fast speed and then trying to get stable again.  You brain has adapted to getting the drug and tapering slowly will allow it to adapt as you taper.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

It's also helpful to learn non-drug techniques for coping during and after tapering.  This is something you could be doing in the lead up to commencing your taper:

1. Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms
  2. Acceptance
  3. Acceptance and Mindfulness
  4. Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System
  5. "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms
  6. Change cognitive framing - Redirect - Another Way
  7. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression
  8. Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

And of course you will have the support of members and mods here.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks, I do aerobic elliptical, transcendental meditation, prayer, and light yoga and acpuncture, so that I know is positive. Gonna use these next months to prepare

Started Lexapro 10 mg in October 2014 after being on Celexa 20 mg on October 2013

I will be doing the liquid 10% taper with syringe but I am totally confused about the reductions. Is There a tapering schedule for each month, as I have a math phobia ( one of my issues) and I can't figure the mg split.

It would be worth your while to read the lexapro taper tips link

in it it says

Using the liquid form is the best way to control the amount of each decrease. The US formulation provides 5 mg per 5 mL (amounting to 1mg of the medication in a milliliter of the liquid, or 1mg:1mL).

If this is too much to manage then it might be worth looking into a compounding pharmacy to make the required liquid dose for you.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

ZachsDad -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA) (brought to you by "me too")

Good for you for thinking so far ahead and for doing your research now to prepare for your taper. We put together a topic of things to think about just for people like you:
Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know

Each "new" dose is calculated by multiplying the "old" dose by 0.9 or 90%. Here are your first few 10% dose reductions

10 mg to 9 mg
9 mg to 8.1 mg
8.1 mg to 7.2 mg
7.2 mg to 6.3 mg

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Yes, I don't want to start the taper in the bleak midwinter, so I will ready myself. I did figure out the calculations. And I will enmesh myself in the literature and site forums Peace

• 2 weeks later...

I have stopped my Statin Medicine as they were contributing to so much of my anxiety. just stopped 5 days ago and improving. Will give my body a rest and for neurotransmitters to relax before the Lexapro taper,

The Crestor 5mg I was taken lowered my cholesteol to the point that it also lessened the efficacy of the Lexapro making me anxious, burning skin feeling, sweaty palm, hoarse and headaches. Statins are also toxic!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for letting us know that you have improved after stopping Crestor. 

Would you complete a signature with your Lexapro information and the Crestor details?

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet