JJ33: Withdrawing from Abilify

JJ33

Hi ang,

Very sorry to read what you have gone through.  If hydroxocobalamin or methylcobalamin helps you, I would continue doing it.  It's anecdotal but I have heard many times where pregnancy cleared up once folic acid/folate issue was resolved.  That, and the fact that you have high homocysteine (and given your health history), makes me think this is worth investigating further.

That's as much as I'll say.  My own history has been one of bad fatigue and depression.  The key for starting the turnaround process for me was understanding the genetic component.  It's no magic bullet, but it gave me new leads that have been immensely helpful.

It's a shame we are left to put the pieces of the puzzle together ourselves.  There is information out there, but it takes a lot of detective work. 

Please keep us updated on what you find out.

On and off various medicines since 1989

2009:  Prescribed Lexapro 5mg and Abilify 5mg
2015:  discovered MTHFR snp, went on Walsh protocol, felt better

2016:  down to 2.5mg each of Lexapro and Abilify

2017:  down to .7mg of Abilify, obtained liquid form.

Currently at .4mg of Abilify

• 4 months later...

JJ33 - thank you for stopping by my thread, I appreciate it . I started reading Kelly Brogin book and so far so good . She sounds a bit too strong and almost like venting. But she must be passionate about this thus the frustration . I am only few pages in so we will see .

did you have fatigue / depression before starting an SSRI ? I struggle with fatigue on the daily basis . Sometimes I wonder if this is depression or what . So hard to get up in the morning and get myself together . I take methyl CPG for the gene mutation and I also take this supplement called mitochondrial NRG for the adrenals . I am not sure it is helping or not (I am consistent with NRG for about 2 weeks ) .

Do you ever experience days with no fatigue or less intense fatigue ?

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

JJ33 - thank you for stopping by my thread, I appreciate it . I started reading Kelly Brogin book and so far so good . She sounds a bit too strong and almost like venting. But she must be passionate about this thus the frustration . I am only few pages in so we will see .

did you have fatigue / depression before starting an SSRI ? I struggle with fatigue on the daily basis . Sometimes I wonder if this is depression or what . So hard to get up in the morning and get myself together . I take methyl CPG for the gene mutation and I also take this supplement called mitochondrial NRG for the adrenals . I am not sure it is helping or not (I am consistent with NRG for about 2 weeks ) .

Do you ever experience days with no fatigue or less intense fatigue ?

Yeah, no doubt about it she's on a mission and makes no bones about it--but she is a trained doctor (and check out those MIT credentials).  She may be overcompensating to correct what she sees as an injustice, so take what she says with a grain of salt (literally, maybe :)).

I have had chronic fatigue for a long time, starting around the time I first took medicines.  I have no way of knowing what it has contributed to the fatigue.  My suspicion is if I hadn't taken medicine then the other adjustments I have made in my life would have corrected the fatigue by now.  I think SSRI's hold progress back--in fact, maybe by very definition what most psych meds do is put a "brake" on everything--both physically and spiritually.  At least that's what rolling around in my head these days.

I do not experience any days with no fatigue, although some days are just fine--it's the morning tiredness that's the problem.  I'm getting my doctor to run a cortisol test for me, which came back very low when a natural practitioner tested it.  My suspicion is he'll see the cortisol is low, run another test on me, say "you're fine, you don't have Addison's disease" and send me on my way.

If there was a magic bullet I'd give you it, but sadly I don't know of one.  You might want to read this book Mighty Mito (right now only $3 on Amazon). It sums up much of what I learned, it may be that SSRI's affect the mitochrondria more than we know.  And check through this thread, that yyeehhaaww linked me to.  Wish I had more answers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JJ33 - how are you doing ?

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

• 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Not so bad, thanks for asking ????. Am waiting for the right time to take the plunge for the next reduction in medication. Last time it took about two months, but things eventually evened out.

How's it going for you? I'm encouraged by the responses in your thread. Specifically the idea that part of the process is an awakening to ourselves. I think there's a great deal of truth to that, though there's still a ways to go.

Good to hear.

I am hanging in there . Fatigue got worse the last couple days hope it will lift soon . Don't know what I can do for if besides rest I can't even exercise lately

I'm sorry to hear that. Wish I had easy answers, but as I was gently reminded earlier it's not always best to dispense medical advice over the internet. All I can say is I'm in a much better place than I was several years back. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, keep up hope.

I understand. I hope if I rest up a little more I will feel better . Good news about feeling better ! I saw you did a cut in May hopefully it will go smoothly

• 4 weeks later...

Still very difficult going even down by 1/10 of a mg.  But generally things even out after 2 weeks to month or so.  I plan on dropping by 10% (0.1 mg) every two months.  

I'm debating whether to alternate with lowering lexapro, so that the two drugs remain somewhat in balance.  I have a suspicion that lowering one will amplify the effects of others.  Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Hi JJ - I don't have the advice just wanted to stop by and wish you luck in your taper .  

I would think anything is possible with these medications .  As long as you go slow and listen to your body you should be okay .  

I cut my Luvox dose a few days ago (about 15%) and got some nasty WD symptoms .  So last night I went up a bit and one if the symptoms seems much better .  This might seem strange but I am actually okay with these symptoms bc I see the immediate and direct correlation to WD vs when I experience WD for such a long time and it not eases up it makes me wonder if it is me .  

Wishing you a good week!

Thanks B.  Maybe I'm overthinking it.  Best to leave things uncomplicated and do 1 at a time, perhaps.

I'm glad to hear going up on one of the medications helped.  We all know how even small changes can have a big effect.  Hopefully you can give yourself some time to adjust before making any other changes.

Absolutely agree we need to listen to our bodies.  Am slowly learning how to do that better, am seeing encouraging results but don't want to speak too soon.

Appreciate you stopping by.

• Moderator Emeritus

JJ, I was reading this thread yesterday, and you might find it useful:  taper-more-than-one-drug-at-a-time

It runs through the pros and cons of the whole idea. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks Karen.  It was nice reading the experience of someone who went through this.

I've decided to focus more on the positive aspects I can control, rather than react to the fear of what might happen with drug interactions.  Although I am intrigued by the approach of lowering one drug for awhile, then switching.  That may be an option.

It sounds like tapering multiple drugs is doable, but takes more attention and care.  Might be best to stick with what's simplest for now.

Best, J

• 8 months later...

Can withdrawing from an SSRI cause memory problems?

I went across the state to find a holistic-minded psychiatrist.  For some reason they suggested discontinuing Lexapro instead of tapering Abilify.  I should have known better, but followed their advice.  Within about six weeks I started noticing depression coming back.  But what was worse, I was losing my memory.  

This is not something I've ever experienced before.  To be absolutely sure I took an online cognitive test (I used testmybrain.org).  All of the results came back above average, but I struggled with the famous faces one. 

I went back on the Lexapro and within days my memory came back, better than it ever was.

Is this common?  Does anyone have experience with this?

• Moderator Emeritus

I've merged the new Intro you created with your original.  Each member has only 1 Intro topic.  Please ask questions and journal your progress here.

I will tell you of my own experience:

I was taking 100mg Pristiq and reduced by 1/2 to 50mg.  I experienced extreme cog fog for 3 weeks.  Even walking took all of my concentration.  At the end of the 3 weeks I was unable to type.  Because I have been a typist for about 40 years or so I knew that something was wrong.  I had joined SA a few days before this happened and they had suggested updosing.  When I couldn't type I took extra Pristiq and about 4 hours later I was able to type again andthe cog fog was lifting.  I knew it was because of the drug.

brain-fog-blank-mind-comprehension-cognitive-and-memory-problems

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

JJ33 - I experienced that when I stopped lexapro I remember I would sit at work and forget how to type a simple sentence.  Once I even forgot how to type my name it was the freakiest thing ever.  And then a few years back when I tried to withdraw quickly I also struggled with memory, I had episodes of forgetting for a few seconds where I was or how I got somewhere .  How are you feeling now ? 

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I've merged the new Intro you created with your original.  Each member has only 1 Intro topic.  Please ask questions and journal your progress here.

I will tell you of my own experience:

I was taking 100mg Pristiq and reduced by 1/2 to 50mg.  I experienced extreme cog fog for 3 weeks.  Even walking took all of my concentration.  At the end of the 3 weeks I was unable to type.  Because I have been a typist for about 40 years or so I knew that something was wrong.  I had joined SA a few days before this happened and they had suggested updosing.  When I couldn't type I took extra Pristiq and about 4 hours later I was able to type again andthe cog fog was lifting.  I knew it was because of the drug.

brain-fog-blank-mind-comprehension-cognitive-and-memory-problems

Thanks Chessie.  I appreciate the edit.

This sounds very similar.  I work as a computer programmer and have been studying German.  It sounds like the same thing with your typing ability, in that if something was wrong before I would have known.

I can’t believe how insidious these drugs can be.  I’d love to have an official explanation but I’m guessing there isn’t one.

1 hour ago, Blondiee1915 said:

JJ33 - I experienced that when I stopped lexapro I remember I would sit at work and forget how to type a simple sentence.  Once I even forgot how to type my name it was the freakiest thing ever.  And then a few years back when I tried to withdraw quickly I also struggled with memory, I had episodes of forgetting for a few seconds where I was or how I got somewhere .  How are you feeling now ? 

Hi B.  For a while it was really weird.  I couldn’t remember names of people I’d known or heard about for years.

I’m fine now.  Once I restarted it all came back within a day or so.

Did you have a similar experience (with your memory returning)?

• 2 months later...

Wanted to check in with a status report.  I’m now within sight of completely withdrawing from Abilify.  I’m at about 5 drops, which is around less than 1/2 mg, I think.

I also had my first two weeks full employment in about 8 years. It was nothing exciting, just some work entering educational data.  But I was thrilled I made it with energy to spare.

Also, I had a successful job interview in Vermont.  It was my first real interview in a long time.  I enjoyed the whole process so I think it’s a win regardless of if I get it or not.

Each drop I make these days feels like hitting a concrete floor.  I think it’s because I’m doing a higher percentage drop (20%).  I don’t want to split the “drops” because it’s so tiny at this point, but it may be what I have to do.

I’m also having to face some demons.  As I get better and notice I am laughing more and functioning better, some things are not.  I’d rather not look at this.  But I may end up having to go on drugs (ADD) in the end anyway.

Thanks to this space for allowing me to vent.  Going off antidepressants might be easy for some people, but not everyone.  It takes a lot of work in my case, even if only a few people see it having a place to share helps immensely.