SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

kcs72: Doctor cold turkey

kcs72

I had been placed on Escitalopram (Lexapro) to help me get off a benzo for anxiety. I had a horrible reaction to it (mood swings, hysterical crying spells, anxiety)...I was told to keep on it as this would level out and I would reach the "therapeutic dosage". I had been on it in the past with good success but this go round, I was non-functional the whole time.

I reached the 40mg dosage but could no longer take the constant crying, brain fog/dp/dr...went to Psych or PA under Psych who dropped me to 10mg and added Buspar. When I continued to complain about tearfulness/mood swings, he told me to "Stop it for a week and see what happens".

I stopped and it's been hades (more hades) every since then; continued mood swings, hysterical crying, high bp/fast pulse, increased anxiety. I'm wondering what might be the best approach-to ride it out (this has been a month free), try a new med and hope for the best...If I reinstate, it will be the same..b/c on it, I was miserable...had horrible foggy feelings

...Anyone know a time line after stopping a med after having  been on it for 3-4 mos?

Edited by scallywag
tags / previous: added 'graf breaks

Rx'd 1-2mg Clonazepam for anxiety April 2016 (after one panic attack); asked to be taken down off of it due to it being benzo (I didn't do my research)...Placed on 10mg Lexapro-had reaction (crying hysterically, digestive issues, mood swings) to it; taken off (May '16) ; took myself down off Clonaz from 1 1.5 to .5 (probably last of May) in relatively short time (didn't know better); threw me into tailspin-no sleep for a week, dizzy, brain fog/dp/dr; went to another doctor who knew that Lex had helped me years ago (2014; 40mg) so pushed me to get to 40mg; stayed on for three months June-Aug; sick to death; quit doctor went to Psych PA who brought it down to 10mg  (end of Aug) and added 5mg Buspar x2/day; was okay for awhile then crying spells returned-same symptoms experienced as I did when on med; pysch took me off Lex; (Sept 19th); took myself off Buspar thinking it had made heart run/tachy (latter Sept); currently only on .5 Clonaz and miserable (weakness daily, apathy, anxious, tachycardia, occasional high bp, spacey, brain fog/dp/dr.)

Breakdown of Escialopram use: 10mg in May for one week; discontinued due to horrible side effects;

Placed back on Escitalopram in latter May, early June by doctor who knew it had worked for me in the past...pushed me from May to August to get to 40mg; all the while symptoms and my complaining to doctor-kept pushing me. 

Went to psych PA who took me down from 40 to 10 that initial visit added Buspar 5mg x 2; felt a little clearer; then began feeling crying spells again. Doctor ct'd me -told me "Try to see how you feel after one week without it". All this time, I had been emailing him to let him know my symptoms and he basically told me to stop; quit him and found a PA who has been overseeing my care-he's an advocate of meds though...thinks there is no tolerance on Clonazepam.

• Administrator

Welcome, kcs.

As you know, you are suffering acute withdrawal symptoms from cold-turkey of Lexapro. When did you go to 10mg, and when did you go off completely?

Are you still taking Buspar? How much, and at what times of day?

Generally, quick reinstatement will reduce withdrawal symptoms, but you had a serious adverse reaction to Lexapro all along (your doctor should have taken you off it immediately). How long did you stay at 10mg? Did your symptoms reduce at all?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, kcs. Welcome to the forum from me, too. I'm glad you found us for information and support.

Here are some links for general information about withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Brain Remodelling

In addition to the questions Altostrata has asked, please also give us more information about your benzo withdrawal. Are you still tapering or have you already come off? It sounds like you're dealing with quite a bit, so a complete history with your symptoms will really help us to help you.

Please fill out a signature with your history. Please also include supplements. This link will show you how:

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

This is your thread to ask questions, list your symptoms, and provide updates. Once we know more about your history, we'll be happy to provide even more information. 

Your Dr is a moron, as you should never ever be told to cold turkey a drug like that. They cannot even fathom the horrors of it. I hope you feel better soon. My best advice would be to listen to whatever the moderators here suggest.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

Hello...I agree that the doctor was completely negligent. I feel horrible; has been one month since stopping. 

Rx'd 1-2mg Clonazepam for anxiety April 2016 (after one panic attack); asked to be taken down off of it due to it being benzo (I didn't do my research)...Placed on 10mg Lexapro-had reaction (crying hysterically, digestive issues, mood swings) to it; taken off (May '16) ; took myself down off Clonaz from 1 1.5 to .5 (probably last of May) in relatively short time (didn't know better); threw me into tailspin-no sleep for a week, dizzy, brain fog/dp/dr; went to another doctor who knew that Lex had helped me years ago (2014; 40mg) so pushed me to get to 40mg; stayed on for three months June-Aug; sick to death; quit doctor went to Psych PA who brought it down to 10mg  (end of Aug) and added 5mg Buspar x2/day; was okay for awhile then crying spells returned-same symptoms experienced as I did when on med; pysch took me off Lex; (Sept 19th); took myself off Buspar thinking it had made heart run/tachy (latter Sept); currently only on .5 Clonaz and miserable (weakness daily, apathy, anxious, tachycardia, occasional high bp, spacey, brain fog/dp/dr.)

Breakdown of Escialopram use: 10mg in May for one week; discontinued due to horrible side effects;

Placed back on Escitalopram in latter May, early June by doctor who knew it had worked for me in the past...pushed me from May to August to get to 40mg; all the while symptoms and my complaining to doctor-kept pushing me. 

Went to psych PA who took me down from 40 to 10 that initial visit added Buspar 5mg x 2; felt a little clearer; then began feeling crying spells again. Doctor ct'd me -told me "Try to see how you feel after one week without it". All this time, I had been emailing him to let him know my symptoms and he basically told me to stop; quit him and found a PA who has been overseeing my care-he's an advocate of meds though...thinks there is no tolerance on Clonazepam.

Hi...I went off the Buspar shortly after that; so maybe three weeks ago. No one was monitoring me while on the Lexapro. I had a PCP then and she just kept pushing me to get to 40mg...When I would complain, she just kept saying "hang in there". It's been a nightmare.

• Moderator Emeritus

kcs, would you complete a signature:

Summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly.

• Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature

If you're using a phone or tablet, please look in the same signature topic but specifically Post #8; Post #9

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for the welcomes; not sure how to do signature..

I'm trying to decide what to do; I'm one month out of a doctor prescribed ct; the med wasn't working but this wasn't learned until four months in (no monitoring despite my calls and complaints). If I'm off this long, would it be worth it just to stay off? I have another beast to tackle and fear I won't make it through that one without something to combat the anxiety; it's a benzo Clonazepam. Just seeking suggestions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Following the link Scally provided should work.  What specifically are you having trouble with?

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks Karen; I found it...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, kcs.

Your question - would it be worth it just to stay off?

From your first post, it sounds like you had an adverse reaction to Lexapro (although from your signature, you say you were on it years ago, so you may be dealing with Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity.)

And it also sounds like you're dealing with the fall out of a too-quick taper from Clonazepam. 

Have you seen the members-only benzo section? You may find answers to some of your questions there:

Members only benzo forum

The Ashton Manual will give you more information on what to expect with benzo withdrawal:

The 2002 Ashton Manual is at http://www.benzo.org...anual/index.htm

The April, 7 2011 Ashton Manual Supplement is at http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashsupp11.htm

It will be a lot easier to give you advice if we know your exact symptoms in relation to when you take your drug. Please see this post:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Please also give as detailed a timeline about your benzo withdrawal as you can, including when you made your reductions. Even if you don't know the exact dates, try to list the months. 

A rapid taper off a benzo can cause an assortment of symptoms. That's how I came off benzos, so I do know what you're going through. In time, you will heal from this. 

Thank you...so frustrated

• Moderator Emeritus

Rapid taper off a benzo is extremely frustrating. When you're feeling up to it, please have a read of the links that have been posted.

Getting off these drugs is difficult, but it's doable. You're going to be okay, kcs. 

Thank you Shep

Has anyone heard of these supplements and had any success? http://www.hardynutritionals.com/studies?q%5Bstudy_disorders_disorder_id_eq%5D=10

• Moderator Emeritus

To search SA for existing topics use a search engine and type in survivingdepressants.org + topic.  In this case I typed in Hardys.

truehope-the-road-back-labelmesane

no-recommendations-for-commercial-programs-to-assist-withdrawal

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you!

ChessieCat ... I was noticing in your signature about brain fog...Was there anything helpful for that or I could search it?...

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

• Moderator Emeritus

My brain fog was due to dropping my dose by 1/2 from 100mg to 50mg Pristiq.  Once I updose to 75mg it cleared.

The only supplements recommended by SA are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil   Try them one at a time and start with a low dose.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you...I appreciate it!

** post moved from Symptoms and Self Care **

I was ct'd off Escitalopram about a month ago. Initially, not so bad but as the weeks wore on, I developed the same symptoms I had while on it-hysterical crying, depersonalization/derealization, weakness, sick stomach, fears....These past two days have been the worst with unreal feelings and feeling as if I want to jump out of my skin-losing it. I've honestly been looking into inpatient hospitalization (this from someone who has no mental health history except anxiety)....I don't know what to do; jump back on it and taper down? Or ride it out and hope for the best?

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi kcs,

If you do decide to go to hospital, they may increase your dosage/s, add another drug, CT you.  This is something that you need to consider.  Are you thinking clearly enough, or do have someone who could advocate on your behalf, to be able to assess what they might try and give you?

Other mods are more familiar with your situation so I will ask for their assistance.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, kcs.

It's possible that reinstating the escitalopram at a very, very small dose may help.

What do you think about adding back in the escitalopram at .5 or 1 mg? 

Please read over these threads carefully:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Do you have the information you need to get to the .5 or 1 mg dose? Here are links to making a liquid and using a scale:

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a digital scale to measure doses

It takes at least 4 days for your CNS to register the reinstatement. During that time, we need you to take careful notes, as described in this post:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Please keep careful notes about your symptoms for both the escitalopram and the clonazepam.

• Moderator Emeritus

ksc,

the only thing doctors in a hospital can do for you is to add drugs, they cannot make the symptoms go away by other means.  If you decide to go, you might want to decide ahead of time what you want them to do for you. They often add several drugs, and often at very large doses.  You are then stuck with these extra drugs, may not feel a lot better, and have to taper them over a long time, often with little support from your treating doctors, who have little knowledge on how to come off of them.  

The withdrawal reaction that you are going through will get worse until it plateaus, then will get progressively better.  If you feel that you cannot go through with it, then Shep's suggestion to reinstate a very small amount of escitalopram might be a better option.  By adding a small amount at a time, you ensure that you don't add anymore than is absolutely necessary for you to get relief.  Then after a while, you taper that small amount.

Shep's suggestion to keep careful notes will help you determine which symptoms are getting worse, and which are going away.  It's very difficult to determine when we are getting better, because symptoms will go away but we still feel unwell.  Seeing symptoms decrease is a sure way to validate that healing is taking place, even if you don't feel well.

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

• 4 months later...

In the spring of 2016, I was attending my internship for graduate school. I started to experience some health problems that were troubling. I had bloating in my stomach and some GI issues. I didn’t have insurance at the time because I elected to quit my full-time job in order to fulfill my graduate studies.

I lacked one semester finishing when on April 20th, I had a panic attack. This prompted me to go to the doctor. He prescribed Klonopin. Although I’d heard of it, I didn’t realize it was a benzodiazepine. I began taking it daily at 1mg/day and finished out the spring semester of school (I lacked only the summer before completing the degree).

At the close of the spring semester, I returned to my doctor to ask for something to help me get off the benzo. He prescribed Lexapro. I had taken this in the past and was successful with it, however, this time, it would send me into unprovoked crying spells. I contacted the doctor again and he told me to discontinue the Lexapro (this after one week of taking it). I did so then began researching online about Klonopin and found all the horrific information so I decided to bring it down myself.

Foolishly, I took it down too much, too fast and this did something to my brain. I could not sleep for near to one week and developed what I would later research to be depersonalization/derealization. I truly felt I had lost my mind. I have no mental health history aside from anxiety that was always well managed.

This new state prompted me to seek out another doctor. I returned to one who was familiar with me and she prescribed the Lexapro again-even knowing the reaction I had. Again, I would experience marathon bouts of crying, dp/dr and foggy feelings. She prompted me to stay on it until I reached 40mg. I stayed on it from May until July; all the while sick and not myself. During this time, I developed irrational fears and feeling so unlike myself. I couldn’t drive, interact with others, work, or function at all. Bear in mind that before all of this, I was a 4.0 social work student. It reduced me to nothing.

After staying on the Lexapro to 40mg and it failing to change my state, I decided to seek out a psychiatrist. I was much against this because I had never before seen a psychiatrist. In fact, I worked for years as a mental health caseworker. I probably carried the stereotype of having to see a psychiatrist. After calling around locally, I was told the psychiatrists were either booked for months or not accepting new patients.

I found a place in Lufkin that provided services through telemedicine so opted for this route. The psychiatric assistant there lowered my Lexapro to 10mg from 40 and added Buspar 5mg along with the Klonopin .5. At first, I thought this might help, but the dp/dr was still there as was the tearfulness.

During this time, I made several trips to the ER with tachycardia. The psych assistant told me to stop the Lexapro and I did. I stopped the Buspar on my own feeling it was contributing to my tachycardia. For the first time in my life, I contemplated going to a hospital. We found Menninger Clinic in Houston and I decided it would be worth it to go and get stable-anything to stop the crying. My mother had to take out money from my inheritance just so I could go. I stayed a total of three weeks in their CPAS unit where several tests were conducted.

I was discharged with what I believe to be a faulty dx: MDD; Anxiety D/O; Depersonalization Disorder. I agree that I am anxious but something else had caused the crazed mood I was experiencing and yet, I could get no one to listen. They all attributed it to “my illness” which ironically, I’d never had before the meds.

I was discharged on 40mg Prozac, 1mg Ativan, 10mg Propranol three times/day, Vitamin B12 and D as well as methylfolate to help with the prozac’s absorption. I returned home feeling much the same as I went in and further in debt. My crying spells would continue along with body tremors, dp/dr, apathy, agitation and fear.

This brings me to where I am today; unable to function, hold a job, finish school, parent my son, do things around the house. It is so important that I get well. I have a limited source of support. Most of my family have passed except for my mother. My mother, my son, and I all reside together and I worry if something happens to her, where will we be with me in this fix? One knows when something is not right with oneself and this has been the case for ten; almost eleven months. I have to get well so that I can resume my normal functioning pre-medication. 

Edited by ChessieCat
Changed font and added paragraphs

• 2 months later...

Would anyone have coping strategies or things to take for  mental agitation that is so high it makes one want to run from themselves. I've had it so badly lately that I honestly don't see making it through withdrawal...

Edited by scallywag
merged topic started in Symptoms forum

• Moderator Emeritus

Here at the topics I found when I did a google search using survivingantidepressants.org agitation:

agitated-irritated

feeling-lost-and-agitated

akathisia-vs-restlessness-anxiety-agitation

coping-with-with-irritability-anger-and-rage

You might find this topic helpful:  Non-drug techniques to cope

akathisia,

time will make it less intense, side effect from psychotropics, i had it severe some months

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• 1 month later...

April, one year ago I had a panic attack and went to the doctor who rx'd Klonopin. I had no idea it was a benzo (I should have done my research). I took the K for one month with no issues before learning it was a benzo. I returned to my doctor who rx'd Lexapro to "help" me off the benzo. I'd taken Lexapro in the past with no issues however, this go round, at the very first pill, I experienced high/agitated crying-hysterically. I was told to stop it after four days use. I did. I then foolishly proceeded to take myself down off the K too fast which sent my brain into orbit; one week with no sleep. I decided to go to another doctor who was familiar with me. She put me back on the Lexapro even knowing the reaction I'd had. I stayed on it, sick and in dp/dr, agitated depression up to 40 mg-her prescribed amount for me. I was abruptly taken off this by a psych who I visited next due to previous doctor's unhelpfulness and lack of sympathy. My brain never recovered from these changes...I was in a perpetual brain foggy, panic, agitated state. I would go to a clinic (the first time ever; before this I was a 4.0 graduate student)...At this clinic, they took me off K and put me on Ativan along with Prozac. I felt nothing; it was like placebo pills. All along this time, I've had the same symptom-the high, agitated, hysterical crying. I'm now 4 months off all meds and still suffering this symptom. My question is, is this akathisia and if so, is there any relief of this symptom? It brings me to the brink of not wanting to be here. I believe it is unsurvivable for me. I so need help and reassurance...

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, kcs72 said:

All along this time, I've had the same symptom-the high, agitated, hysterical crying. I'm now 4 months off all meds and still suffering this symptom. My question is, is this akathisia and if so, is there any relief of this symptom? It brings me to the brink of not wanting to be here. I believe it is unsurvivable for me. I so need help and reassurance...

From Wikipedia:  Akathisia is a movement disorder characterized by a feeling of inner restlessness and a compelling need to be in constant motion, as well as by actions such as rocking while standing or sitting, lifting the feet as if marching on the spot, and crossing and uncrossing the legs while sitting. People with akathisia are unable to sit or keep still, complain of restlessness, fidget, rock from foot to foot, and pace.

Do you have this sort of movement issue?  If not, it doesn't sound as though you have akathisia.  We have this thread uncontrollable-crying-spells-during-and-after-withdrawal 

You could see if anything in there resonates with you.  As with all w/d symptoms, it will eventually ease.  Four months is not long, after such disruptions to your CNS.

There is always the possibility of reinstating a tiny amount of your last drug to see if it will help you stabilise.     

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• ChessieCat changed the title to kcs72: Doctor cold turkey

Thank you...No, I don't have the need to move but it's just such an internal agitation, I can't even identify what it could be then...It never goes away except when I'm asleep at night...I've had it while on the meds and now off...just horrible.

The definition provided by Karen says it is " inner restlessness" and you said you have "internal agitation".  Sounds like the same thing to me. 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Does anyone have the burning tongue/mouth sensation? This developed maybe two months after my cold-turkey...It is driving me nuts. Is there anything that makes it better; lessens the hurt and discomfort?

hey kcs

i had the acid tongue thing for a while when i was on Zoloft and zyprexa.  i would wake in the morning and the tip of my tongue would be burning.  it was awful.  it went away when i quit the drugs 3 years ago.  i didn't have it originally when i started the meds, but i had had a long wd in 2005 for a year and when i reinstated in 2006, i would frequently have the bitter tongue feeling in the mornings. 

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

My story is long and convoluted but I so need help and not sure what to do. I was in graduate school the spring of 2016; one semester from graduating. I am a single parent so my aspirations were to secure a more financially sound future for him. I was under a lot of stress and had developed some GI problems. I went to a doctor I could afford due to no insurance and he did an ultrasound of my abdomen, finding an enlarged spleen. He offered no treatment. I would continue on with school then had a panic attack which led to a fateful decision to take medication. I was rx'd Klonopin. I'd heard of it but never realized it was a benzo. I took it for one month then returned to him for help getting off the med. He rx'd Lexapro as I'd taken this in the past with no issue. At the first pill of Lexapro, I went into crying hysterics-an agitated brain. I was told to stop it after 4 days and I did. I then foolishly tried to take the Klonopin down on my own (not knowing anything of the dangers of this). I brought it down too fast and ended up with depersonalization/derealization. I thought I had lost my mind. I went to a different doctor who was familiar with me and she rx'd the Lexapro again-knowing the reaction I had had. This doctor had put me on Lexapro years ago and even with the reaction, she believed I would do well on it. The crying spells would continue/agitation and just out of my head. She wanted me to stay on it until I reached 40 mg. I was sick the whole time and communicated this to her but she kept referring back to how it helped me in the past. I decided to leave this doctor and seek out a psychiatrist. I had never seen a psychiatrist before and there were few available for appointments in the rural area I live. I finally found one on a telemedicine site. This doctor d/c's the Lexapro and added Buspar which sent me into tachycardia. I was abruptly taken off the Lexapro. I then decided to seek out a clinic/hospital that was well-known in my state. We went into debt trying to get me there in order to "stabilize me". They did nothing. They would not admit that it was the meds that hurt me but rather my "illness". Ironically, I'd had no illness before this. They knew nothing of dp/dr. All this time, I've suffered so badly with the agitation and crying spells. I don't understand what happened. They discharged me with Ativan and Prozac. When I asked the doctor there how to taper off the Ativan, she said "Just leave one off"....I'm so damaged by this and have hurt immensely. I have contemplated not being here several times but I have a son. I'm fighting for my life daily and have no clue what to do. The meds-the whole time, did nothing for me-offered no relief. I felt as thought I was taking a sugar pill. In February of this year, after seeing a Naturopath who was no help, I decided just to stop the meds as they were only making me more sick. The Naturopath knew nothing of how to do this either and just told me to stop the Prozac. I have suffered so badly. I continue to suffer with the agitation which I believe is akathisia...it's inhumane and the most horrific symptom I believe one could suffer. To add to the agitation, I have a burning tongue/mouth...it's just relentless and making me go insane. I need help to stay alive because I fear I won't be here to see this through-it has ripped me apart, caused trauma, financial loss and so many others. 

Edited by scallywag
merged topic from Symptoms: "My story"

• Moderator Emeritus

kcs - I've moved your post from "My Story," a new topic you started in the Symptoms forum.  We ask that members ask questions about their individual situations in their introduction topic so that the full story is in one place instead of in bits and pieces all across the site.

I'll be moving your topic entitled "Burning tongue/poison taste" to your intro topic as well.

When you have questions about a symptom, you'll probably find useful information by using the search function of the site, available at the top right of every page, or a web search that includes site:survivingantidepressants.org as a search term with your other key word(s).

My quick search of the site found this topic: Burning Mouth Syndrome.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet